Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Jess6001
Hey there, Mr. Grump Gills. You know what you gotta do when life gets you down? Just keep swimming...

Budget car rental at Port Canaveral

Has anyone rented a car after your cruise from Budget? The address is 8401 ASTRONAUT BOULEVARD. I believe they have a shuttle from the port to the rental place. Any thoughts on Budget (I've never used them) and this location in particular?

Thanks!

Jess6001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
cwby22
Mouseketeer

We used Budget on our last cruise this past June. My only complaint is it was extremely busy when we dropped car off before cruise, around 11:00 a.m. Staff seemed a bit overwhelmed and wait to get on shuttle bus to port was quite long. We didn't wait, timing was just right as there was a taxi dropping someone off so we asked him to take us. Well worth the $12. I estimate wait time for shuttle would have been 30-45 minutes. It's hit or miss whether you get there at a busy time or not. After cruise, shuttle was there waiting at the port. The line at Budget to pick up car was long. Took about 25 minutes. All that said, I would use them again if that was the cheapest option. Just remember it may not be the quickest.
4 day Bahamas Disney Wonder Apr. 18,2010
7 Day Western Caribbean Disney Fantasy June 23 2012
4 Day Bahamas Disney Dream June 23, 2013
4 Day Bahamas Disney Dream July 2014...We're Gold!!

cwby22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
canadiandisneycruise
Mouseketeer

My only complaint was we had to wait for someone to bring a van back. There was a long line up as well. They barely inspected it, let alone clean it. We had garbage left from the previous rental.

Your rental depends on when someone who is departing on a cruise brings a vehicle back. They don't have a lot of vehicles available.

We used hertz the opposite way (airport to cruise). I booked it because it was close to our hotel. In fact, they shared a parking lot with the residence inn. Very convenient. Van was waiting with keys at the airport, & we were on a shuttle to the cruise within minutes.
canadiandisneycruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

1- be prepared to wait (we waited a good 20-30 minutes in line at the port for a shuttle to take us to the Budget office)....

2- be prepared to wait on line at the Budget office (its small and despite the fact they know a lot of people will be showing up they only have a handful of staff their)...

3- make sure you put the time you intend on picking the car up as realistic as possible....if you put "12PM" pick up and arrive at 11AM you could be waiting a while.....

the trip from Budget to the ship was a horror show- we ended up taking a cab....
Old 02-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
Jess6001
Hey there, Mr. Grump Gills. You know what you gotta do when life gets you down? Just keep swimming...

Hmm this doesn't sound so great! Does anyone have a better experience with a different company?

Has anyone used Avis? or Alamo?

Last edited by Jess6001; 02-03-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Jess6001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
1- be prepared to wait (we waited a good 20-30 minutes in line at the port for a shuttle to take us to the Budget office)....

2- be prepared to wait on line at the Budget office (its small and despite the fact they know a lot of people will be showing up they only have a handful of staff their)...

3- make sure you put the time you intend on picking the car up as realistic as possible....if you put "12PM" pick up and arrive at 11AM you could be waiting a while.....

the trip from Budget to the ship was a horror show- we ended up taking a cab....
When u dropped off the car at Budget about what time was it. Also were their taxis sitting there possibly knowing the problems and getting some business or did you have to call for one. I'm hoping to drop my car off at about 10:30 in anticipation of this problem.

1998 WDW Fort Widerness
2008 WDW All Star Music Resort
2009 WDW Animal Kingdom Villas
2009 Vero Beach
2011 WDW Bay Lake Tower
2013 WDW Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 DCL Fantasy First Cruise Ever
2014 WDW BCV
kshark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I've used Budget several times and never had a problem. Hertz and Budget are the closest agencies to the port, and are about a block apart. Close to port = faster turn around time. Budget operates 2 shuttles on cruise days, again, improving speed. We have sometimes waited at PC on the return. Hint there--if there is room on the shuttle for your driver but not entire family, have the driver take the shuttle to the Budget office and return with the car to get the family and luggage. Often there will be one or 2 seats on the shuttle but no luggage space--a solo driver can take advantage of that.

When arriving in Cape Canaveral, on 2 occasions my "crew" had the luggage loaded on the shuttle van by the time I came out from returning the car. Pick up...again, be real. If you want to pick up a car at 10, you might even say "9." Your time starts when you actually check out the car, but they only have those that they have reservations for. If you say 10 and show up at 9, your car may not be there. We've been "upgraded" a couple of times when they basically needed to ferry a minivan back to MCO. You CAN refuse an upgrade if you don't like the vehicle they want to put you in; for instance, I'm OK with a mini-van, but would have refused a full sized van.

I've used other agencies too--really I base it on price as the service is about the same with all.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshark1958 View Post
When u dropped off the car at Budget about what time was it. Also were their taxis sitting there possibly knowing the problems and getting some business or did you have to call for one. I'm hoping to drop my car off at about 10:30 in anticipation of this problem.
1) we probably dropped the car off around 10:30 but i had put down 1PM- it was completely my fault....

2) there were taxi's buzzing around the rental agency like bees....i've read other threads where people had to call taxi's....in our case there were tons of people there, a long line and a storm coming...
Old 02-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
ShelsGoingToDisney
DIS Veteran

We did 2 rentals with Budget before and after our cruise last May. We had DH drop us and our luggage off at the port and he returned the car alone. It was easy for him to fit on the shuttle back to the port that way.

After the cruise we did have a bit of a wait at the port to get on the shuttle. Once at the Budget office the line was long but moved fairly quickly. We had a van rented but as we reached the desk there were none there. As we talked one was returned so we got that. It wasn't that bad of a wait or experience. I'd do it again.

The scariest part was this sign in the parking lot:

My kids loved that!

Offsite ~ July 1983, June 1992, March 2001; Poly/ASMovies~Jan 2006;Poly~April 2006;Pop/Poly~Jan 2008;CR~March 2009;BC~Oct 2009;POP~July 2010;Harry Potter trip~Jan 2011;Endeavour Launch Trip~April 2011;Atlantis Launch Trip~July 2011;POR~May 2012; Disney Fantasy Cruise ~ May 2012;Joey's 13th Birthday Christmas Decor Trip ~ Nov/Dec.2012;Disneyland~May 2013 ~ Silly Sam's AoA Adventure Nov. 2013 ~ WONDERful Alaska May 2014
ShelsGoingToDisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: