Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

Disembarkation Tips?

Hi all. I was reading some threads and it seems that disembarkation is a frustrating mess of waiting in lines.

We'll be on the Fantasy and have late dining and we're driving to the port. Any tips to make disembarkation go smoother?

Jen
Old 02-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04 View Post
Hi all. I was reading some threads and it seems that disembarkation is a frustrating mess of waiting in lines.

We'll be on the Fantasy and have late dining and we're driving to the port. Any tips to make disembarkation go smoother?

Jen
I'd suggest just finding somewhere to sit and let the others line up. Our last cruise on the Wonder, after breakfast we just went up to the Outlook Cafe and read. There's no services (food, coffee), but it was quiet and no other people around. We were driving from there, so we felt no need to rush off.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04 View Post

Jen
Actually the truth for most of us and most voyages is that debarkation is pretty painless, well except for the leaving the ship behind part. With late seating you'll get late breakfast. By the time you're done a lot of people will have left the ship already. On 9 out of 10 cruises, I've walked right off after my late breakfast. Last year there was a bit of a line, took maybe 15 minutes to get down to the luggage. And if since you're driving you don't have to stress about catching a bus, limo or getting to the air port.

Relax, take your time and it will be fine.

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
SleepyDeb
Mouseketeer

A week ago yesterday we finished breakfast at 8:45 and got in a HUGE line to get off boat. 60 minute later we were through customs.
SleepyDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allears View Post
Actually the truth for most of us and most voyages is that debarkation is pretty painless, well except for the leaving the ship behind part. With late seating you'll get late breakfast. By the time you're done a lot of people will have left the ship already. On 9 out of 10 cruises, I've walked right off after my late breakfast. Last year there was a bit of a line, took maybe 15 minutes to get down to the luggage. And if since you're driving you don't have to stress about catching a bus, limo or getting to the air port.

Relax, take your time and it will be fine.
ITA with this.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

25+ DCL cruises, 3 "bad" disembarkations. Each of those was the "fault" of US Customs, not DCl. If Customs delays things, there is nothing the cruise line can do.

OK, when to NOT get off (if time doesn't matter to you). DOn't be in the first wave (about 7:30), and don't be in the last wave (about 8:45). These are prime time....early is the people who want to be off ASAP and 8:45 is the people who are following DCL's instruction that you must be off by 9, but kinda waiting till almost the end.

What to do--get off at 8:00 (you are between the early and late breakfast gang) OR wait till fully 9:00 DO NOT do 9:00 if you are on DCL transportation. This will put you on the last bus to wherever, and that is a nightmare.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
Macmaro
Mouseketeer

I did not realize there could be a "bad" disembarkation until the Thanksgiving cruise on the Magic last year. Every cruise we have done prior had been very smooth. We had late seating for breakfast at Parrot Cay. Our room was forward and we mistakenly used deck 3 to get to the restaurant. There were hundreds of people just lined up to get off. It was a total pain to make our way through the crowd and we got lots of nasty looks. I have no idea what happened but I assume it had something to do with customs. When we finished breakfast (and the unceremoniously turned off the music as if to say GET OUT) we just walked off the ship. I would saw the best bet is to just take your time getting off if you can. We have never been in a hurry but then our schedules have always allowed it.
Macmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Got off the Fantasy on Saturday. Left our stateroom at 7:30, were through customs and waiting at the curb for our shuttle 20 minutes later.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
Prince Eric's Mom
Earning My Ears

We have sailed on them all and have waited through the disembark for Dream and Fantasy. Although, these were both early sailings and things may be calmer now. However, I would either go upstairs to the buffet for breakfast (yes, you can do this) and leave during the second seatings or find a comfortable seat and wait it out until the end. We were still on the Fantasy at well past 9am. We had nowhere to be and didn't care. We watched the line inch out and our son ran around and played with the magic art one last time. We walked right off, grabbed our easy to find luggage and were on the curb in minutes. Good luck and have a wonderful cruise!
Prince Eric's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
sambycat
DIS Veteran

if we are going to the parks, i personally skip breakfast proper and get off immediately (but that was before all this early disembark with your luggage or whatever that is). if not, eat breakfast and wander out (we do second dining)

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: