Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
Harlancy
Earning My Ears

Snorkeling Questions

Going to St Thomas late Feb and will be snorkeling for the 1st time. Are the mask tight enough so I can wear my contacts? I am blind without glasses or contacts. Also will be snorkeling for 90 minutes and will I need some type of protection from sunburn on my back? Will a t-shirt be enough?
Harlancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlancy View Post
Going to St Thomas late Feb and will be snorkeling for the 1st time. Are the mask tight enough so I can wear my contacts? I am blind without glasses or contacts. Also will be snorkeling for 90 minutes and will I need some type of protection from sunburn on my back? Will a t-shirt be enough?
Yes, you can wear your contacts. I've snorkeled several times with my contacs. Like you'd, I'd be blind without them.

For the sunburn issue, we buy rash guards for that very reason.
WDW - BCV (Jun '12) BLT (Jun '11); Boardwalk (Sep '10); Poly (Aug '07), CR (Nov '06), AKL (Nov '04, Sept '06), Swan (Dec '05), POR (Dec '98, Mar '10), POFQ (Mar '05), CSR (Nov '02), CBR (Jun '03), Sports (Dec99, Oct '01, Dec '02), Music (Aug '09), Movies (Dec '00, Aug '07), Pop (Jun '04 Jun '05)
DLR - August 2008 and January 2013 at DLH
DCL Gold CC Member: Magic Western (Sep-05, Sep-06); Magic Panama Canal Repo (Aug-08); Wonder 4-night (Mar-10 and Sept-10) Fantasy Eastern (Jun-12)

Next Trip: 6/15/2013 - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy and BLT!
KSDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
ludari
DIS Veteran

You should be okay wearing your contacts to snorkel. I'm a scuba diver and I dive with my contacts on all the time.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Quote:
Will a t-shirt be enough?
I buy swim shirts for me and my son. They are t-shirts that are made to swim in so they do not hold water and drag you down. Just search swim shirt on the web and you will get lots of places to get them with lots of styles. Just make sure you order them big enough.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
My sister just got a prescription mask. She said it was like 50 bucks. Might be worth checking into if you think you'll be doing more snorkeling in the future.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:

You can buy inexpensive prescription masks, even on eBay, but if you don't think you'll be snorkeling again, I wouldn't spend the money for one. The first I've heard of anyone being able to wear their contact successfully is from KSDisneyDad (above). We've been snorkeling all over the Caribbean for over 30 years, and I've never run across anyone else who's been able to do this comfortably.

I wouldn't bother spending the money for a special shirt, either. Sunscreen and a t-shirt work just as well. Make sure you have a LOT of sunscreen on the back of your neck, and on your EARS. Don't forget the back of your legs, either!
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace

You can buy inexpensive prescription masks, even on eBay, but if you don't think you'll be snorkeling again, I wouldn't spend the money for one. The first I've heard of anyone being able to wear their contact successfully is from KSDisneyDad (above). We've been snorkeling all over the Caribbean for over 30 years, and I've never run across anyone else who's been able to do this comfortably.

I wouldn't bother spending the money for a special shirt, either. Sunscreen and a t-shirt work just as well. Make sure you have a LOT of sunscreen on the back of your neck, and on your EARS. Don't forget the back of your legs, either!
I've been diving for over 20 years with contacts and never had a problem. I work in a dive shop pt in Orlando and the only time I've heard of an issue is when someone used rain ex as an anti fog.
Word of warning for those who buy off eBay or a box box store. Try the mask on asap. There are no two masks that fit the same. A mask too small wm cause a leak.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace

I snorkel often and always wear contacts. If a mask leaks a bit it is slow enough to catch before the water covers your eyes. I have never had a problem ever, but have made a few adjustments in the water( tighten mask, etc.).
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

Four of the five in our family wear contacts and none of us had any issues snorkeling on any of our cruises. Last year, we snorkeled at St. Maarten, St. John and CC. This included jumping off the catamaran's wearing our masks as well.

Also, with respect to Rash Guard or Swim Shorts, we won't cruise without them. They provide great sun protection without worrying about missing a spot or two. Our family won't swim without them anymore. I guess it's because we're from a cold climate and burn easily.
WDW - BCV (Jun '12) BLT (Jun '11); Boardwalk (Sep '10); Poly (Aug '07), CR (Nov '06), AKL (Nov '04, Sept '06), Swan (Dec '05), POR (Dec '98, Mar '10), POFQ (Mar '05), CSR (Nov '02), CBR (Jun '03), Sports (Dec99, Oct '01, Dec '02), Music (Aug '09), Movies (Dec '00, Aug '07), Pop (Jun '04 Jun '05)
DLR - August 2008 and January 2013 at DLH
DCL Gold CC Member: Magic Western (Sep-05, Sep-06); Magic Panama Canal Repo (Aug-08); Wonder 4-night (Mar-10 and Sept-10) Fantasy Eastern (Jun-12)

Next Trip: 6/15/2013 - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy and BLT!
KSDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
justmestace

I didn't say that I didn't believe wearing contacts was wrong, or that it wouldn't work for a short cruise excursion. Just saying that when we snorkel, it's for days at a time, on 2 week trips to the islands, along with the times we snorkel while cruising, and we've truly not run into any snorkelers or divers who do it. But then, the people we go with and meet are basically what you'd call "pros", who do it all the time, so it's worth the money for them to have prescription masks made, like we do.

I honestly don't think that for a novice, it would be a good idea to try it, unless they had a pool to practice in at home, or were willing to lose their contacts.

Also, for a first time cruiser/snorkeler, I don't see paying $20-$50 for a rash guard, when a cheap t-shirt works just as well. Definitely not as attractive or professional looking, but who cares? We take old t-shirts and then just toss them as we go along. We don't have to worry about getting them dry, and it's a few less items to haul home.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
justmestace

Pros (like DAN) recommend prescription lenses in the mask, but they also say that if you are going to wear contacts, make sure that they're SOFT contacts. And make sure that whoever is with you knows you have contacts in, so that if you lose your mask, they can retrieve it for you. Also, make sure you close your eyes when you clear your mask, and when you're done snorkeling, wash/rinse your contacts and your eyes to make sure there isn't any sand or muck in them.
Personally, that's just too much for a novice to have to think about for a "relaxing" sport.

There are also some stick-on magnifying lenses (soft plastic and inexpensive) that you can buy to put in your mask.

And keep in mind that the water magnifies things 30%, so if your vision isn't too bad, you might do well without needing anything extra.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
OrcaPorkka
Earning My Ears

I snorkeled for 10+ times with my soft contacts in, no problem. I also wear them for water skiing, swimming and showering. I do, however, have the daily disposables, so I was never really worried about losing them (lost one in the last 10 year doing a water sport, but it was when I was out of the water, rubbing my eyes too hard on the boat).

I would definitely try to swing by a pool and see if you are comfortable wearing contacts in the water. I did it for 27+ years starting at 10 years of age, so I was super comfortable (on swim team, etc.)
OrcaPorkka is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: