Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
3minnie's1mickey
Earning My Ears

Hotel/transportation from Houston Hobby

We are on the 2/15 sailing of the Magic out of Galveston and have yet to book a hotel and transportation!! We fly into Houston Hobby on 2/14! Our flight comes in late at night so we figures we would just stay there and head to the terminal in the morning. We only need transportation one way since we are flying home out of IAH and will use Disney transportation. Any suggestions on hotels and transportation?? Not looking for anything fancy just cost effective!!
3minnie's1mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

I would stay at the hotel right there at the airport. Marriot maybe? And then, Disney offers transport to the port I believe. IF not, then I would look into a one way rental. I had one when I sailed from there in January. Cost me $100 for a 2 day. I'm thinking you will be around $60-$75.
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
3minnie's1mickey
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicGoofy View Post
I would stay at the hotel right there at the airport. Marriot maybe? And then, Disney offers transport to the port I believe. IF not, then I would look into a one way rental. I had one when I sailed from there in January. Cost me $100 for a 2 day. I'm thinking you will be around $60-$75.
Then did the car rental place shuttle you to the terminal or was the car returned at the terminal. Do you remember what car rental place it was??
Old 02-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

I used enterprise. I'm not sure if the other rental companies had drop off places in Galveston.

When returning the car, I dropped it off and the guy gave me a ride back to my hotel. I don't believe they normally do this BUT he was also telling someone else that they will call you a cab. It's a really short ride, so the cab ride shouldn't be more than $15.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Hi 3minnie's1mickey! I recognize your name from the DL forum. You provided so much insight for our DL trips.

We are on the same cruise. Very excited as this is our first time.

We also fly in on the 14th. Actually we get in on the 15th at 12:15 AM. Ugh! I used Hilton Points to stay at the Hampton Inn Hobby. I think if we paid for the room it was about $100. They provide a free shuttle from he airport to hotel. Plus free breakfast.

I looked into the DCL transfers. $30 pp. Children under 3 are free. I decided against it because my TA said that we would have to wait for the bus to be full before it left. There is no set schedule. We could be sitting there for up to an hour. Plus we would have to drag everything back to the airport from the hotel.

We are staying at the Hilton Galveston on 2/23. they recommended Dwayne with Texas Air Port Car. The cost is $95 for 3 or less people and$35 per person 4+ (each way). I requested an online quote which I received. I had read an online review that stated children under 3 are free. Sent him another email. He responded with a phone call and confirmed under 3 is free. So for the four of us the cost will be $95 which is $5 more than Disney transfers and he will pick-up/drop-off at the hotels rather than just the airport. The icing on the cake is that he asked if we were bringing car seats. When I said we were trying to avoid it he said no problem. He has car seats and booster seats. http://texasairportcar.com/index.html

A few other people on our cruise looked into renting a car. If I recall their cost were a bit more than pp but that may have been because they needed a larger car to accommodate their family or needed to rent car seats too.

If you are interested there is a thread on the meet section and a facebook page was made for the cruise.
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Ichiban
Mouseketeer

We're on the same cruise, too and I've done a lot of research on transportation to Galveston. We actually have the opposite schedule as you - flying into IAH late on Thurs and flying out of HOU. I finally decided to hire a private car service both ways. I think the best option depends on the size of your party. The larger your party, the more cost effective it is to hire private transportation.

I called enterprise to price out a one day rental, picking up at IAH and returning to Galveston and was quoted a price of over $200! Since HOU is closer to Galveston, you may want to also consider a taxi. I think it's around $100. A couple of other options are Supershuttle or Galveston limousine service.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
3minnie's1mickey
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by I❤MICKEY View Post
Hi 3minnie's1mickey! I recognize your name from the DL forum. You provided so much insight for our DL trips.

We also fly in on the 14th. Actually we get in on the 15th at 12:15 AM. Ugh! I used Hilton Points to stay at the Hampton Inn Hobby. I think if we paid for the room it was about $100. They provide a free shuttle from he airport to hotel. Plus free breakfast.

I looked into the DCL transfers. $30 pp. Children under 3 are free. I decided against it because my TA said that we would have to wait for the bus to be full before it left. There is no set schedule. We could be sitting there for up to an hour. Plus we would have to drag everything back to the airport from the hotel.

We are staying at the Hilton Galveston on 2/23. they recommended Dwayne with Texas Air Port Car. The cost is $95 for 3 or less people and$35 per person 4+ (each way). I requested an online quote which I received. I had read an online review that stated children under 3 are free. Sent him another email. He responded with a phone call and confirmed under 3 is free. So for the four of us the cost will be $95 which is $5 more than Disney transfers and he will pick-up/drop-off at the hotels rather than just the airport. The icing on the cake is that he asked if we were bringing car seats. When I said we were trying to avoid it he said no problem. He has car seats and booster seats. http://texasairportcar.com/index.html

A few other people on our cruise looked into renting a car. If I recall their cost were a bit more than pp but that may have been because they needed a larger car to accommodate their family or needed to rent car seats too.

If you are interested there is a thread on the meet section and a facebook page was made for the cruise.
Thanks for the info!! I am going to check it out because for us it will be the same price a Disney transport but from the hotel rather than the airport!!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
3minnie's1mickey
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
We're on the same cruise, too and I've done a lot of research on transportation to Galveston. We actually have the opposite schedule as you - flying into IAH late on Thurs and flying out of HOU. I finally decided to hire a private car service both ways. I think the best option depends on the size of your party. The larger your party, the more cost effective it is to hire private transportation.

I called enterprise to price out a one day rental, picking up at IAH and returning to Galveston and was quoted a price of over $200! Since HOU is closer to Galveston, you may want to also consider a taxi. I think it's around $100. A couple of other options are Supershuttle or Galveston limousine service.

I looked into the pickup at HOU and drop off at Galveston but the website says you can only drop off and pick up from airports
Old 02-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3minnie's1mickey

Thanks for the info!! I am going to check it out because for us it will be the same price a Disney transport but from the hotel rather than the airport!!
Please let Dwayne know I referred you.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
3minnie's1mickey
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Please let Dwayne know I referred you.
I tried calling but it keeps saying the phone number listed on the website is not valid
Old 02-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3minnie's1mickey

I tried calling but it keeps saying the phone number listed on the website is not valid
Someone else said the same thing on another thread. I did the online request. Here's the number I have 832-891-9690.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
3minnie's1mickey
Earning My Ears

Quote:

I want to tell Dwayne who referred us but not sure he will know who I <3 Mickey is

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: