Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #31
jbugeye22
Earning My Ears

Wow, this is a good reminder that passports are very important. I was on this same cruise with you. All the adults have passports but not the children. Now I am going to get ones for my kids. Thank you for sharing your story!
jbugeye22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #32
eemaxx
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehavesix
I'm so glad your daughter is doing better!

A similar thing happened to my sister and brother in law last month. They were on the Fantasy when he had a heart attack. The ship took them to Cozumel where he had surgery and spent a couple more days in the hospital there before an air med flight took them back to the states where he had another surgery and is now home recovering. Thank goodness they had passports!
I was on this same cruise when we changed our course for a medical emergency. I wondered what had happened. So glad to hear that your brother in law is okay. Very unsettling to hear the in-room announcement (in code of course) in the middle of the night.

And as for your daughter, so scary! I can't imagine. Glad it turned out okay.

Yes, passports and travel insurance are a must! You just never know.
eemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #33
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
By the way, what you would need to do if you travel on just an ID/BC is get an emergency passport from the US embassy/consulate in the country you are suck in. They might issue a passport with just the documents you have (BC) or they might issue a one time entry into the US. They aren't going to make you live in Nassau forever.

People have needed emergency passports before, and the US official know how to do it, but it is just not a problem you want to deal with on top of the emergency. Also, some places don't have an office or official, and you'd need to get it from another island, so that would be another delay.

My sister had her passport stolen in France once, and she had to spend a day getting a new one, involving a few trips back to the embassy.

Nancy

Stolen or lost passports are a possibility. I recommend bringing a photocopy of the ID page of your passport, leave a photocopy with a friend, and/or email a scanned copy to yourself. Having a copy to take to the embassy is very helpful in getting a new passport issued.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #34
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
Stolen or lost passports are a possibility. I recommend bringing a photocopy of the ID page of your passport, leave a photocopy with a friend, and/or email a scanned copy to yourself. Having a copy to take to the embassy is very helpful in getting a new passport issued.
YES! This is a great idea. I plan on putting a copy in our safe at home that my parents can access if need be, and taking a picture of it with our smart phone as well as having a copy. Redundant, but I think important. I have read that you shouldn't take them off the boat with you. Leave them in the safe. Take the copy and phone with you.

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #35
DVCFan1994
Mouseketeer

Thanks for posting this. DH and I have passports, and we bought trip insurance. But, we are also planning on staying onboard in Nassau, so we had decided not to bother with passports for our young kids. You changed my mind! You just never know.

Glad everything worked out for your daughter and your family
DVCFan1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #36
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I was then told "They wont deny your daughter because she is a child, but it is ilegal for you to stay in this country without a passport."
Who said this to you? If it was someone related to the cruiseline, I would followup. It cannot possibly be true. And it added urgency and FEAR to your day, which was totally unneeded. If that weren't said to you, you would have been able to put all of your attention to the medical situation, without worrying about legal actions.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #37
darwinsrule
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot

Who said this to you? If it was someone related to the cruiseline, I would followup. It cannot possibly be true. And it added urgency and FEAR to your day, which was totally unneeded. If that weren't said to you, you would have been able to put all of your attention to the medical situation, without worrying about legal actions.
From a legal standpoint this is entirely accurate. You are in a foriegn country and there are certain rules you play by. Having worked for Canadian Immigration you need sufficient documentation not just to get into the country you are visiting but enough to get yourself home. Without a passport you are not getting on a flight home and that is the problem. At that point you are no longer visiting.

With a medical emergency they will work with you, but you are going to need someway to get home. I imagine it will involve a bunch of phone calls with the embassy and arranging for some emergency travel documents. All doable but it will cost time and money. And a lot more money then what the passport would have cost.
August'14 NCL Getaway ** March'15 Disney Wonder

Me DW DD9 DD5
darwinsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #38
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

I'm so glad that everything turned out ok OP. Thank you for sharing your story.

We will have Passports. I am too much a stress case to not too.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #39
LoveDisneyx4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendeli View Post
Yes, we we're very lucky. It could have been much worse.
Thanks for all the well wishes. She is doing better, we have follow up appt tomorrow.
This reassures me that I did the right thing in getting us passports even though we don't technically need them for our Eastern Caribbean cruise. It was right under $550 for the 4 of us (2 adults and 2 kids), but I'll be ever so thankful if I need them. When we paid almost $5K for the cruise--I think that the measly $550 is money well spent. Fingers crossed that I don't really end up needing them, but I tend to be the nervous type anyway, so definitely don't need the added stress in an emergency!

Sounds similar to when my DD had bladder infection (thought to originally be appendicitis as well), and was treated with antibiotics, but we did have an overnight observation stay in the local pediatric hospital...her white cell count was rather high...so they wanted to make sure the antibiotic was working.

Hmm...maybe I should call my health insurance company--oh, the wheels are turning for that rare chance...

Thank you for posting your story and so thankful that your DD is better and you made the ship!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #40
jendeli
Earning My Ears

Hey everyone, Thanks again for the well wishes. I'm glad to see that our experience has encouraged some of you to apply for a passport. Not only will we all get passports, but travel insurance as well.
In the back of my mind I knew that the port authority would be able to get me some sort of emergency passport. I had never been in that sort of situation before so I didn't know how/when/where. And of course my biggest concern was just wanting to stay by my daughter's side. Anyway, I'm a worrier, and that experience was a worrier's nightmare.
jendeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #41
Jennifer in MI
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendeli View Post
Hey everyone, Thanks again for the well wishes. I'm glad to see that our experience has encouraged some of you to apply for a passport. Not only will we all get passports, but travel insurance as well.
In the back of my mind I knew that the port authority would be able to get me some sort of emergency passport. I had never been in that sort of situation before so I didn't know how/when/where. And of course my biggest concern was just wanting to stay by my daughter's side. Anyway, I'm a worrier, and that experience was a worrier's nightmare.
WOW!!! What a nightmare!

I don't know how long you've been on these boards, but in October 2011, my ds actually had an appendectomy in Mexico. We had to leave the Wonder for the surgery. It was absolutely terrifying. But, Disney and their recommended medical facility was AMAZING!!! Thank GOD for trip insurance. They paid out over $48,000 for us!!! (Surgery, hotel while we stayed there, last minute airline tickets back home, etc.)

Jennifer in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #42
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

That sure is a nightmare!!!! I'm glad to hear things turned out better than expected! Definitely a good idea to have passports and travel insurance.

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #43
ddixon1
Mouseketeer

Glad to hear that all worked out for you. Thank you for sharing your cautionary tale. Having passports and travel insurance that includes not just trip cancellation/interruption costs, but medical treatment coverage AND medical evacuation expenses are wise.
Thanks you again for sharing your story. You have certainly paid it forward! All the best to you and your family!
Disney Half Marathon (POR), January 2000; Explorer of the Seas, July 2009; Oasis of the Seas, May 2011; Magic 2-night getaway from NYC, July 2012; Magic 5-night Canadian from NYC, August 2012; Animal Kingdom Lodge, January 2013; Dream 4-night to Bahamas, January 2013; Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo Studio), August 2013, December 2013
ddixon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #44
lundve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer in MI View Post
WOW!!! What a nightmare!

I don't know how long you've been on these boards, but in October 2011, my ds actually had an appendectomy in Mexico. We had to leave the Wonder for the surgery. It was absolutely terrifying. But, Disney and their recommended medical facility was AMAZING!!! Thank GOD for trip insurance. They paid out over $48,000 for us!!! (Surgery, hotel while we stayed there, last minute airline tickets back home, etc.)
Calling the company today for our May cruise - YIKES, there is no way our family could afford that hit....

lundve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #45
jendeli
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer in MI View Post
WOW!!! What a nightmare!

Wow. Once again, I am so glad that it was not a appendicitis. We did not have insurance. I can't imagine the amount of debt we would have had to deal with.
jendeli is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: