Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #16
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

I am so glad your daughter is ok and did not need surgery. Thank you for putting it online as a reminder as to why it is so important to get those passports. It's true it CAN happen.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #17
mareed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reizo View Post
Thanks for sharing this story. It pretty much defines the need for passports and travel insurance for those just in case moments such as yours and reiterates the fact that I will need to do so next cruise ahead.

I hope everything turns out well from this point forward.
Very glad that things worked out for the OP and her daughter!

And I absolutely agree with this post that I wouldn't cruise without a passport and travel insurance. I've never had any kind of travel insurance for the numerous Disney trips in my sig, but the risks of major financial impacts are so much greater on a cruise that I will always have trip insurance (with pre-existing conditions clause) in addition to passports for all members of my travelling party. Hopefully this real-life report with a fortunately happy ending will help others be better prepared.
DCL Magic: Nov 12, Mar 13 - Wonder: Sept/Nov 13, Feb 14 B2B
RC Cruise: Jun 14

mareed is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
Nini05
Earning My Ears

Passports

Getting passports for grands now just to be on the safebside
Nini05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #19
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nini05 View Post
Getting passports for grands now just to be on the safebside
My mother just applied for a passport on Jan 22. It was issued Jan 29 and she received it in the mail yesterday.

Just do it.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #20
JustUs275
Mouseketeer

So glad everything worked out for you! Just an hour or so, my daughter and I were talking about passports - the expense, odds of not needing them etc. DH & I have passports, but our DD, SIL and 2 DGDs do not. After reading your story, yes before our upcoming cruise everyone in our party will have a passport! I can't imagine leaving one of our DGDs in port while we sail away!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #21
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

Yikes.

Did you have travel insurance? My understanding is that most private insurers in the US don't pay for out of country medical services.

Talk about stressful. You poor thing. So glad it all worked out for you in the end.
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #22
wehavesix
Yes, I really have 6 kids
Yes, I'm crazy but in a good way
One minute I was walking along and the next I was falling

I'm so glad your daughter is doing better!

A similar thing happened to my sister and brother in law last month. They were on the Fantasy when he had a heart attack. The ship took them to Cozumel where he had surgery and spent a couple more days in the hospital there before an air med flight took them back to the states where he had another surgery and is now home recovering. Thank goodness they had passports!
Old 02-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #23
CatDenver
Mouseketeer

I will echo what others have said about passports. We had to get passports for my husband and children (ages 11 and 8) and we had them within a week and a half and that was a regular request, not an expedite. They are so easy to get.
CatDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #24
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehavesix View Post
I'm so glad your daughter is doing better!

A similar thing happened to my sister and brother in law last month. They were on the Fantasy when he had a heart attack. The ship took them to Cozumel where he had surgery and spent a couple more days in the hospital there before an air med flight took them back to the states where he had another surgery and is now home recovering. Thank goodness they had passports!
OMG that's awful! I can't believe he had a heart attach on board and had to have surgery in Mexico. Talk about a crazy situation.

Good thing he is recovering. Best wishes to them!

OP--good luck to your daughter. Glad she's doing better.

Last edited by lilpooh108; 02-03-2013 at 04:16 PM.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #25
klass3
Mouseketeer

So unnerving! Glad your daughter's ok. Insurance is a must (and passports).
Old 02-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #26
neg58
DIS Veteran

By the way, what you would need to do if you travel on just an ID/BC is get an emergency passport from the US embassy/consulate in the country you are suck in. They might issue a passport with just the documents you have (BC) or they might issue a one time entry into the US. They aren't going to make you live in Nassau forever.

People have needed emergency passports before, and the US official know how to do it, but it is just not a problem you want to deal with on top of the emergency. Also, some places don't have an office or official, and you'd need to get it from another island, so that would be another delay.

My sister had her passport stolen in France once, and she had to spend a day getting a new one, involving a few trips back to the embassy.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #27
DisneyOrBustColorado
Mouseketeer

First let me say that I am sooooo glad that things turned out well for your daughter & your family.

Thank you so much for bringing to light of why we always travel with Passports & trip insurance. I have never had to make a claim with our trip insurance & never really needed our passports (Thank God) but I will always remember your story when I think about not paying for insurance or passports.

Thanks for sharing & let us know how things come out with your insurance.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #28
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
By the way, what you would need to do if you travel on just an ID/BC is get an emergency passport from the US embassy/consulate in the country you are suck in. They might issue a passport with just the documents you have (BC) or they might issue a one time entry into the US. They aren't going to make you live in Nassau forever.

People have needed emergency passports before, and the US official know how to do it, but it is just not a problem you want to deal with on top of the emergency. Also, some places don't have an office or official, and you'd need to get it from another island, so that would be another delay.

My sister had her passport stolen in France once, and she had to spend a day getting a new one, involving a few trips back to the embassy.

Nancy
I imagine this isn't an uncommon occurrence in Nassau.
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #29
Kimmielee
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was thereUncle Larry can do anything!

I so glad your daughter is ok and that things worked out!! 48 days 'til our cruise and I'm applying for a passport tomorrow!!!! I can't imagine your fear ON TOP of your concern for your daughter. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Kimmielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #30
yaddakal
Mouseketeer

Wow! Ordered passports;-) how scary!

Disney All Star Movies May 2009
Disney Port Orleans Riverside 2010
Disney Coronado Springs/Dream Cruise May 2013
Booked for Fantasy August 2014
yaddakal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: