Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
JC58327
Earning My Ears

Angry Oh boy, do I need some advice here...

WARNING **VENTING AND RANT TO FOLLOW**

Hello:
My wife and I are DVC members and we book a Grand Villa at Bay Lake Tower every other year. The last two times we took my family (Myself, my wife, our two children, my parents, my sister, her husband and their three children). The first time was OK, the second was a bit of a disaster due to my father's sickness, my sister's children's inability to behave even remotely, and a host of other issues. So, next year, we decided to invite my wife's family instead. We are booked for September, 2014.

Here's the HOST of issues I am currently dealing with.

1. Myself, my wife and children, dad, stepmom, sister #1, sister #2 plus husband, brother #1 plus wife and 2 kids, brother #2 plus girlfriend (maybe) and special needs aunt equals 16 people. BLT Grand Villas hold (I believe) only 12-13 people. I think someone should get an extra room and everyone chips in for it, but everyone seems to feel that piling into the Villa is fine (did I mention they're ALL VERY VERY CHEAP???)

2. After the invitation to the in-laws was made, we got a bit of a lukewarm response. Thanksgiving morning, I overheard a conversation that explains that lukewarm response.

3. "Dad" and "Stepmom" only want to go because all their children and grandchildren will be in the same place at the same time. Turns out, Dad isn't interested in "theme parks" and just wants to go golfing and sit by the pool. "Stepmom" apparently HATES Disney with a passion for some reason and is only going for the reason I mentioned above. After hearing that, I don't even want her there.

4. Sister #1 also dislikes Disney and believes that my wife and I are brainwashed because we go every year and love it so much. However she's "willing to give it a try for her nieces and nephews".

5. Sister #2 will have a great time, but her husband has already made it clear that he's going to be miserable because he ALSO hates Disney.

6. Brother #1 plus wife and 2 kids really want to go and have a good time, except that NO ONE likes wife. She's selfish and annoying. Kids are great though. The real problem here is getting money out of these people. I can see trying to get after them for months afterwards...

7. Brother #2 is a 30-year old selfish, childish jerk who can SOMETIMES be a lot of fun, but other times can be a miserable person based on who he thinks is disrespecting him at the current moment. He hates his girlfriend (as does everyone else) but won't break up with her for some reason and just lets her run his life. She's already invited herself along.

8. Special needs Aunt is GREAT... I wish I could go alone with her. She's a terrific artist and loves Disney and "Stepmom" (her sister) berates her whenever she draws Disney characters. Like I said, "stepmom" hates Disney... she only watches Bugs Bunny...

9. They are ALL cheap. Like four of us went to Red Robin once and the bill was $37 and they thought it was way too expensive for "just burgers and fries". On the other hand, my wife and I WILL be eating at the California Grill, Chef Mickey's, Ohana and Le Cellier during the week. I guarantee that if any of them decide to join us, they will be complaining about the prices the entire time. Come to think of it, they'll be complaining about all the prices the entire week.

10. And finally, they are ALL HUGE PROCRASTINATORS. There is no way that I'm going to get them all going at the same time IF there's any place we need to be at on time. This morning we were leaving their house after the Thanksgiving weekend and it literally took me 2 hours and 20 minutes to get my wife out the door.

11. Oh, and one more thing..... Discussion at the Thanksgiving table this year started out talking about how my wife and I were so excited about Saving Mr. Banks and it turned into them talking about how Walt Disney was a nazi sympathizer and depending on what years he was a nazi sympathizer would determine whether or not he was an anti-semite.... I literally had to fake a bathroom break before I killed someone.

So as I see it, I have three choices.... 1. Come up with an excuse as to why the vacation needs to be cancelled, invite other people and live with the consequences... 2. Make an itinerary so amazing and magical that I brainwash all of them... or 3. I go, ignore everyone else and take my kids where I want to go and everyone else can go do whatever they want... I'm leaning towards 1., but there's still time...

HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!!!!
JC58327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I would also go with #1. I wouldn't want to be on vacation with any of the lot.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

I vote for #1. This has "disaster" written all over it! (And you know it!)

Maybe invite aunt.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
adc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
I vote for #1. This has "disaster" written all over it! (And you know it!)

Maybe invite aunt.
Ditto. Why make yourself miserable?
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
Nhebron
Mouseketeer

What a dilemma. All those issues seem like a recipe for disaster. The only problem with canceling the trip is that the kids might be disappointed?

You should insist on getting the extra room and having people pay. Maybe some people would drop out of the trip to avoid the costs.
Nhebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
auntmeme7577
Mouseketeer

cancel
then rebook it with the people you WANT
Life is too long to be miserable!

Me DH : 6 Furbabies Hunter Daisy Dusty WoodyMonkeyboyPrincess Pretty
auntmeme7577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #7
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntmeme7577 View Post
cancel
then rebook it with the people you WANT

with people who appreciate it.
Or just go with you, wife, and kids....
What is an FE?
DCL info thread

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
JC58327
Earning My Ears

The real issue becomes trying to convince my wife that canceling is a good idea since this is her family we're talking about... I've always had a difficult time getting her to see her family's faults (believe me, most of my family is no prize either), but I'm going to wait it out for a while to see if she realizes it before I mention it to her.... it will be much easier on our household if this is her idea and not mine

Thanks for listening everyone...
Old 12-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
SouthJersey
Yeah Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC58327 View Post
The real issue becomes trying to convince my wife that canceling is a good idea since this is her family we're talking about... I've always had a difficult time getting her to see her family's faults (believe me, most of my family is no prize either), but I'm going to wait it out for a while to see if she realizes it before I mention it to her.... it will be much easier on our household if this is her idea and not mine

Thanks for listening everyone...
I'm good with photoshop, would you like a really nice authentic cancellation letter in the mail due to unforeseen flooding in the Villas section?
  • 2000 - Off Disney, Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista
  • 2001 - Port Orleans
  • 2007 - Wilderness Lodge *Favorite!*
  • 2008 - School Senior Trip, Sports Resort, Great Trip!
  • 2010 - Christmas Trip! First Disney trip with the GF and first trip I've booked myself.
  • 2012 - Food and Wine Festival - Wilderness Lodge
  • 2013 - Christmas Trip 2! - Caribbean Beach
Marines 3rd Battalion, 5th Regiment - Dark Horse battalion - of Camp Pendleton
0311 of the United States Marine Corps
2010 NPC NY Metropolitan - 1st Place Amateur Mid-Heavy Weight
2010 NPC NY Metropolitan - 3rd Place Men's Mid-Heavy Weight
SouthJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
xlsm
Snow White

Out of curiosity, did you know they all hated Disney so much when you invited them?

I would just cancel and go with your wife and children (and like a pp said, maybe the aunt!). Why would you spend that kind of time and money when you're already miserable just THINKING about the trip?

After reading your post I did a little mental wandering and tried to envision a trip with anyone in my family or my in-laws...I'd probably leap out of the plane, LOL!!!

You're a better person than I am for even considering it. Good luck with your decision!

xlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
JC58327
Earning My Ears

I knew Stepmom didn't like Disney, or at the very least preferred Bugs Bunny over Mickey, but I didn't know she hated Disney... Everyone else was kind of a surprise... the good new is that the "cheap-o's" have backed out, so that's 4 less people to worry about... What I'm going to do is to write out an itinerary with theme park days, pool schedule, restaurant times and reservations (and prices!) and tell everyone that this is what me and my children are doing, if you'd like to come, please do... If you want to go to Sea World or think the restaurant is too expensive, you can stay in the villa and babysit... I think that will work out for everyone... fingers crossed!!
Old 12-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #12
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Dear In-Laws,

This is what we are doing during our stay in Disney.

Love,

Your loving In Law.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #13
ShayBells
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC58327 View Post
I knew Stepmom didn't like Disney, or at the very least preferred Bugs Bunny over Mickey, but I didn't know she hated Disney... Everyone else was kind of a surprise... the good new is that the "cheap-o's" have backed out, so that's 4 less people to worry about... What I'm going to do is to write out an itinerary with theme park days, pool schedule, restaurant times and reservations (and prices!) and tell everyone that this is what me and my children are doing, if you'd like to come, please do... If you want to go to Sea World or think the restaurant is too expensive, you can stay in the villa and babysit... I think that will work out for everyone... fingers crossed!!
I think this is your best bet. And than I would just go and leave them behind. I mean if everyone says they want to go to chef mickeys, rope drop, etc. and aren't getting ready in time I'd be like "if we don't leave NOW we will be late. I'm taking the kids now whoever wants to go come on or just meet us over there yourself." Than I would continue to not worry about them and walk out lol

I always wanted to go with family (but my family's pretty cuckoo as well) my mom always says no it will be a mess. I always say not for me. I do my own thing if no one can catch up that's there problem not mine lol. But so far no one wants to ever go with us [They aren't disney fans like I am ]

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
ShayBells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #14
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

i would go forward, keeping in mind that you are not charging them anything to stay with you and thus you should not feel responsible for coordinating their schedules/ensuring that they enjoy themselves. sure, give them guides of what you are doing like PPs said, but then it should be on them.
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
ancestry
Trees Without Roots Fall Over

I vote for #1. I only travel with people that I truly enjoy spending time with and who enjoy spending time with each other.

Tags
cheap, family, in-laws

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: