Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #16
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeev View Post
I agree! Plus...there are many excellent eating options at City Walk and Also at the hotels. Treat that bride to a meal at the Emeril's at Royal Pacific....it is OUTSTANDING!
When are y'all going? Mid May?
We are arriving on Sunday May 12th, and flying out on Friday May 17th. Since it is the week after our 25th anniversary, we may treat ourselves to one special meal.

We usually take our big vacation in February if we are going to a Disney property, or in this case - to Orlando, but right as I was getting into the planning mode for this trip (see my posts complaining about not being able to book 6 months in advance) word came out that they needed to shift some people around. It was a chance for me to go to straight day shift with four 10 hour days (Monday through Thursday) and come off of rotating shift work. I would have liked to go earlier (before the crowds, and planned around cheerleader/Brazilian invasions) but one of the issues is that we shut down one of the two plants every fall or spring for a refueling outage. No vacation during that time, and everyone works 75 hour weeks. This usually takes from mid-March to the end of April/beginning of May. I guess that the other benefit going that late into spring is that we should have some grass in the pastures (no setting out a bunch of hay before leaving) and the spring calving should be done by then.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,861

I see a regular room right now for your dates.

Did they let you pay in full over the phone? They usually only accept one night's payment and then the rest is payable when you leave. Normally you have to call their accounting department and have forms faxed to you to submit the full payment. Wonder if this is a new policy.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
I see a regular room right now for your dates.

Did they let you pay in full over the phone? They usually only accept one night's payment and then the rest is payable when you leave. Normally you have to call their accounting department and have forms faxed to you to submit the full payment. Wonder if this is a new policy.
I booked online through the Universal link. They didn't show any of the two-queen options. Maybe I'll just try that link out and give them a call! I paid in full with a credit card as that was the only option they offered.....

ETA - just tried the same link, and all they show as the lowest priced option is the same $291.75 per night for the king suite (link). Is there somewhere else I should be looking or maybe just call them directly?

ETA #2 - Just called the number on my reservation and asked about being put on a downgrade "standby list". Appears they don't have any means of doing that, but should I find a lower priced room on my own, they would be more than happy to alter my reservation. I will keep checking.

Last edited by DryCreek; 02-08-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: see ETA
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,861

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
I booked online through the Universal link. They didn't show any of the two-queen options. Maybe I'll just try that link out and give them a call! I paid in full with a credit card as that was the only option they offered.....

ETA - just tried the same link, and all they show as the lowest priced option is the same $291.75 per night for the king suite (link). Is there somewhere else I should be looking or maybe just call them directly?

ETA #2 - Just called the number on my reservation and asked about being put on a downgrade "standby list". Appears they don't have any means of doing that, but should I find a lower priced room on my own, they would be more than happy to alter my reservation. I will keep checking.
The room is gone now. It was there when I posted. Keep checking. Take the AAA out of the code box. Check several times a day because people cancel all the time. It was $199/night for a two queen room this morning.

You probably didn't pay in full. You probably only paid a one night's deposit. If you booked through the link you just sent me, it only charges for one night's deposit.

Total Cost: $2188.15
Amount charged on credit card for deposit: $437.63
Remaining Cost of Stay (Total cost less deposit): $1750.52

Last edited by damo; 02-08-2013 at 11:29 AM.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #20
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
Total Cost: $2188.15
Amount charged on credit card for deposit: $437.63
Remaining Cost of Stay (Total cost less deposit): $1750.52
Wow, just noticed your numbers, and I wondered how much I had really committed for. Thank goodness it is a much lower amount (sort of)!

Cost for room
Room Avg. Nightly Rate Cost of Stay Taxes/Serv. Charge Sub-Total
Type: King Suite $291.00 $1458.75 $182.35 $1641.10
Rate: Stay More, Save More
Sun May 12, 2013 $291.75
Mon May 13, 2013 $291.75
Tue May 14, 2013 $291.75
Wed May 15, 2013 $291.75
Thu May 16, 2013 $291.75

Total CostUSD) $1641.10
Amount charged on credit card for deposit: $328.22

ETA - Hahaha! That was funny. I never use emoticons, yet the perfect combination of a colon and open parens created little Mr. Frowny Face. See, the inner tightwad in me manifests itself in the strangest ways! All I did was copy and past from the pop up window. Really!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #21
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,861

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Wow, just noticed your numbers, and I wondered how much I had really committed for. Thank goodness it is a much lower amount (sort of)!

Cost for room
Room Avg. Nightly Rate Cost of Stay Taxes/Serv. Charge Sub-Total
Type: King Suite $291.00 $1458.75 $182.35 $1641.10
Rate: Stay More, Save More
Sun May 12, 2013 $291.75
Mon May 13, 2013 $291.75
Tue May 14, 2013 $291.75
Wed May 15, 2013 $291.75
Thu May 16, 2013 $291.75

Total CostUSD) $1641.10
Amount charged on credit card for deposit: $328.22

ETA - Hahaha! That was funny. I never use emoticons, yet the perfect combination of a colon and open parens created little Mr. Frowny Face. See, the inner tightwad in me manifests itself in the strangest ways! All I did was copy and past from the pop up window. Really!
lol, I got the same emoticon when I pasted. It is the colon with the frowny bracket. I think I just deleted that part.

So you didn't pay in full which is good if you are looking to change your room.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #22
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,861

Lots of rooms available for each day except the Thursday night. Hmmm....you just need someone to cancel for Thursday.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #23
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 211

Fingers crossed

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
Lots of rooms available for each day except the Thursday night. Hmmm....you just need someone to cancel for Thursday.
Thanks, maybe I'll get lucky and a block of rooms that were being held by some planner will suddenly come open. I try checking the website at least once a day, but most days at work are not slow like today, so I don't check until after I get home in the evening.

Damo, are you a TA? You seem to be on top of which days base rooms are available, so I reckon that you must have a different screen view than I have. Either that, or you get bored easily and just for grins try different dates for strangers!

Thanks, either way.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #24
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,861

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Thanks, maybe I'll get lucky and a block of rooms that were being held by some planner will suddenly come open. I try checking the website at least once a day, but most days at work are not slow like today, so I don't check until after I get home in the evening.

Damo, are you a TA? You seem to be on top of which days base rooms are available, so I reckon that you must have a different screen view than I have. Either that, or you get bored easily and just for grins try different dates for strangers!

Thanks, either way.
No, not a TA, lol. I was just looking for something else for someone on another thread and since your dates were on the top of my head, I used those. You'll find that the veterans on this board all do the same thing. We really enjoy helping others out. Someone did that once for each one of us and we like to return the favour. I've got most of the links bookmarked and usually refer to them a few times a week to help out a newbie! Being retired helps too.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #25
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 211

Hard Rock?

OK, just did a rate check for my stay, and it looks like a standard 2-queen room has opened up at the Hard Rock Hotel. Since it showed up on the Loews website, would I be able to switch my reservation to over there?

Next question - should I?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #26
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,861

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
OK, just did a rate check for my stay, and it looks like a standard 2-queen room has opened up at the Hard Rock Hotel. Since it showed up on the Loews website, would I be able to switch my reservation to over there?

Next question - should I?
Hard Rock is my least favourite of the three hotels. That said, it is very close to the Studios.

Take a look at the photos:

http://www.oyster.com/orlando/hotels...resort/photos/
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #27
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
Hard Rock is my least favourite of the three hotels. That said, it is very close to the Studios.

Take a look at the photos:

http://www.oyster.com/orlando/hotels...resort/photos/
Thanks for the link. After discussing it with the DW, she said that for only a savings of $11 per night, we'll keep the King Suite and nearly double the space. Plus, when I described the difference in themeing, she appeared to like the 'Relaxed South Pacific" description I gave her more so than the "hip and trendy, urban style" I assigned to HRH.

Maybe I was too harsh?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #28
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,861

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Thanks for the link. After discussing it with the DW, she said that for only a savings of $11 per night, we'll keep the King Suite and nearly double the space. Plus, when I described the difference in themeing, she appeared to like the 'Relaxed South Pacific" description I gave her more so than the "hip and trendy, urban style" I assigned to HRH.

Maybe I was too harsh?
I'd hold out for the cheaper room at the RPH.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #29
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer
 
buckeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: 940 Miles WEST of Free Dining!
Posts: 1,533

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
OK, just did a rate check for my stay, and it looks like a standard 2-queen room has opened up at the Hard Rock Hotel. Since it showed up on the Loews website, would I be able to switch my reservation to over there?

Next question - should I?
Tough choice...but we really like both hotels. I'd say the descriptions you gave the boss are pretty spot-on...so the decision may already be made.
__________________
HEADED BACK TO CINDERELSA's CASTLE for CHRISTMAS!!!!
buckeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #30
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 211

Arrrgh! Rates even lower now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
I'd hold out for the cheaper room at the RPH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeev View Post
Tough choice...but we really like both hotels. I'd say the descriptions you gave the boss are pretty spot-on...so the decision may already be made.
Now I see a standard room rate at HRH for $216.75!

wife says that for only a difference of $75 a night she didn't want to change.

The Scots blood in me is truly conflicted.....
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.