Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
ohionola
Mouseketeer

Talk me into taking our cruise

We have a 4 night Bahamas cruise booked for March 2014. We are a family of 4 with a kindergartener and an infant. Our only cruising experience was on an older carnival ship which we hated several years ago. We have always heard great things about Disney cruises so we made the splash and reserved one. We are now having second thoughts about it. We want to make sure we can enjoy the water on the beaches but it sounds like it will be too cold to swim. Please help sell us on not cancelling this trip. For about the same price we can do Disney World for a few more nights than the cruise. Thanks!
ohionola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

What was it about your previous cruise that you did not like? Some people just don't like to cruise.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohionola View Post
We have a 4 night Bahamas cruise booked for March 2014. We are a family of 4 with a kindergartener and an infant. Our only cruising experience was on an older carnival ship which we hated several years ago. We have always heard great things about Disney cruises so we made the splash and reserved one. We are now having second thoughts about it. We want to make sure we can enjoy the water on the beaches but it sounds like it will be too cold to swim. Please help sell us on not cancelling this trip. For about the same price we can do Disney World for a few more nights than the cruise. Thanks!
For the same price you can do WDW? Does that also include your meals and entertainment? And, how about kids' clubs? That's all included in your cruise price. The character interactions onboard are better (no looooooog lines), from what I've seen.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Not sure where your from but the water at castaway should be comparatively warm and nice in march. A quick google check can show you the average temperatures weather wise and I think it always "seems" warmer. You wee interested enough to book, why not give it a try! If you hated it for some reason, Then you'll know, otherwise, you were interested enough to book so I bet you'll second guess if you back out as well!

To each his own, I never like the idea of "convincing" or "talking someone into" something like a relatively expensive vacation! IT'S FUN!!! You will enjoy!!!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
ohionola
Mouseketeer

Thank you for everyones feedback so far.

We live in the south and don't find the Florida beaches (Destin area) to be warm until June.

Our previous cruise was prekids around 6 years ago. While I don't remember the name of the ship, it was a carnival ship. It was so old that it didn't even have balcony rooms (unless you booked a suite). The boat seemed small, the pools were cold, and it didn't appear as though there was a lot of things to do on the boat.

Yes we can do WDW with the meal plan for about the same price (minus babysitting).

I guess the help is more deciding. We are doing a Disney trip. WDW is the safer trip because we know we would have fun but maybe the cruise would be better and a new experience.
ohionola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

What kind of stateroom did you have before? I was just wondering if that was something you were worried about. We also have a family of 4 and at first I thought that we would have to book 2 staterooms. But the size of the rooms on Disney are much bigger. I don't know if that will affect your decision at all. But I hope you have a great vacation either way!
CrawfordMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
SonicGuy
Mouseketeer

We just got back from The Dream. Even though it was chilly in Orlando, everyone in our party got in the water at Castaway Cay. It will definitely be warm enough in March.

Our kids had so much fun and are already planning the next. Go for it - create some amazing memories.

SonicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Lindsay
Earning My Ears

We went last year in Feb. and had an awesome time. The water was warm for us to swim in. We are going on the March 30, 2014 out of Miami. I live in Indiana, so anything that isn't freezing feels warm to us. This year we will be taking a 15 year old (nephew) my daughter who will be 9, my son who will be 6 and our other daught who will be 18 months. This will be our 3rd cruise and we love it. We even do the inside staterooms and have a blast.
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
dgmommie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohionola
The only hesitation I would have is your baby. You will have to pay extra for the nursery if you want any adult time or break from the kids. Your other child would most likely love the kids' clubs.
Feb. 1992 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Big Red Boat (Disney cruise), Nov. 2000 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Feb. 2002 - WDW All Star Sports, Polynesian, Sep. 2003 - WDW Polynesian, Dec. 2004 - WDW Pop Century, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Oct. 2005 - WDW Pop Century, May 2006 - Disneyland, Mar. 2007 - WDW Pop Century, WDW Coronado Springs, DCL Wonder, Nov. 2007 - DCL Wonder, Dec. 2008 - Disneyland, Dec. 2009 - DCL Wonder, Mar. 2011 - WDW Pop Century, DCL Dream, July 2012 - DCL Fantasy - GOLD CASTAWAY CLUB MEMBERS NOW!!!, Dec. 2012 - Disneyland, Feb. 2013 - DCL Magic, WDW (cruise stop), Mar. 2014 - DCL Fantasy
dgmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
lorenni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmommie

The only hesitation I would have is your baby. You will have to pay extra for the nursery if you want any adult time or break from the kids. Your other child would most likely love the kids' clubs.
At $6 an hour the nursery is a bargain. I would never be able to find a babysitter for that low a rate at home.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #11
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

There's lots of rides at WDW that your kids can't go on til they're older. At least on a cruise your older child can have fun in the kids' club while your baby sleeps.

Also agree that $6 is a bargain for babysitting (unless you take grandma with you.)
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

What about trying a September cruise? The water temps should be warmer, as its at the end of summer. The price should be comparable.
We love cruising, as do our children.
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: