Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
jessicarabbituk
Mouseketeer

Has it always been this way?

I'd like to start this post by saying I don't wish to offend or upset anyone. By nature of us being here we obviously love all things Disney, I'm just interested in people's views and opinions.
Having visited WDW many times and a trip to DLC I was very surprised by the poor condition of some elements of DLP when I made my first on Wednesday. I was surprised by things like graffiti on signs and walls along the path from the hotel to Disney Village, the number of light bulbs out, both on decorative elements and steer lighting. The whole Sequia lodge side of the lake had no light at all making it quite dangerous at night. Pealing paint and general grubbiness.
Has this always been the case? Do you think it's through lack of revenue?
I just came away feeling the usual Disney magic I feel after visiting a park was a little tarnished
We will visit again, I'm just interested in how other people feel about the things I've mentioned and whether anyone else has found similar things?
Old 02-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
ben1993
DIS Veteran

This is an issue that has discussed many times, personally, I do notice some things, but it's never as bad as some critics make out to me, and I don't blindly praise DLP either, Euro Disney SCA need a reality check sometimes for sure. The resort actually makes huge amounts of money but of course the debt payments have always taken priority over maintenance and upkeep budgeting unfortunately.

I was just at the resort this week, generally I was happy with the state of everything, I did notice a few damaged signs and burnt out bulbs however that I would like to see fixed. I actually think DLP gets a worse rep than it deserves, especially when WDW needs a lot of 'fixing up' too that isn't ever mentioned.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Jonjo
Mouseketeer

Unfortunately DLP has not been able to spend money on maintenance over the last few years that it should due to the crippling debt payments it has had to pay to its creditors. I think the maintenace budget as been put into the hotel refurbishment project with the Sequoia Lodge and Santa Fe both being refurbished at the same time.

Hopefully now that the WDC has now taken over the parks debts and dramatically lowered the monthly debt re-payments we should start to see an increase in the maintenance budget.

Well I hope that is what they are going to do as the parks entertainment budget has been cut dramatically for 2013.

There is a shareholders meeting this month and I would not be surprised if maintenance and entertainment is not brought up. I know they have been mentioned at recent round table events.
Jonjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Royal Consort
And I thought a Park Hopper was just a Kangaroo in a native reserve.

I tend to think WDW is in a worse state than DLP currently with things falling off both Splash Mountain (which was ridiculously overdue for maintenance) and the Tree of Life dropping iron branches.

I agree with the previous comment that the park's maintenance problems are overstated by many. However I would like to see better upkeep of the parisian park. Since I believe it to be the most beautiful of the magic kingdoms, I think it gets away with a lot.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
jessicarabbituk
Mouseketeer

Thank you for your points of view. The points about WDW are very true but I haven't been since 2011 so the specific things you mention, Tree of life etc weren't so obvious then. Perhaps the cold grey light of a January day in Paris is a little less sympathetic than the Floridian sunshine
Having now seen Fantasy Land at DLP I can only imagine WDW is trying to recreate similar theming as its far superior to what they had until the expansion.
Can non-shareholders find out what is discussed at these meetings? I would be very interested to find out more.

Many thanks for reassuring me that this isn't just an accepted way to let the parks slip into disrepair
Old 02-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
Jonjo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicarabbituk View Post
Can non-shareholders find out what is discussed at these meetings? I would be very interested to find out more.
You can find out more about these round table meetings from APPAED (Association des Petits Porteurs d'Actions Euro Disney). They publish reports on the round table meetings and APPAEDs own meetings with Euro Dsney SCA. APPAED is the association of small shareholders (or minority shareholders) of Euro Disney. The reports of the meetings can be found on APPAEDs web site.

Last edited by Jonjo; 02-03-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Jonjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: