Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
sheldonlarson1246
Mouseketeer

Smile Is the Disney Magic showing her age in early 2013?

I am going on a cruise in February 2013 and was wondering from people who have been on in the past couple months, if she was showing her age? Also, how was the service and were there many characters or only a select few.

Thanks
sheldonlarson1246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Depends on your definition....she is very well maintained. However, she is due for a major rehab in the fall of 2013. I'm booked on her for LOTS of days in 2013 with no hesitation.

If you have an issue in your stateroom, notify your host or GS and it will be rectified.

You will have the "old" beds, bed spreads, etc. rather than the newer model (higher) one on the new ships. Yes, there is "stuff" that needs to be replaced, like cracked tiles, etc. That's probably not going to happen till the dry dock. We have seen times where they close a section of cabins and re-do all of those while a cruise is in progress, but most of the big stuff waits..

Service--excellent. OK, I haven't quite gotten over them moving some of our favorites, but that's life.

Characters--tons.

Last edited by kcashner; 02-02-2013 at 02:22 PM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
JackieO
Mouseketeer

We just got off the Magic yesterday and she is BEAUTIFUL! I wouldn't say she's showing her age. Maybe if that's what you're looking for you could find it but she was beautiful to me. The service was wonderful (as you would expect from Disney). From the room attendants and the dining staff to the kids counselors and all the way to the maintenance crew every Disney cast member that I interacted with was friendly and professional. Disney just knows customer service! There was a lot of characters I'll try to remember who was saw: Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisey, Goofy, Captain Hook, Smee, Peter Pan, Cinderella, Tiana, Belle, Aurora, Chip and Dale, Captain Jack, and Stitch. That's who I can remember. I have to admit though, we didn't wait in the lines to meet the characters so we sure may have missed some. Have fun. I think you'll find the Magic to be just that.... MAGIC!
JackieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
mawhite424
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieO View Post
We just got off the Magic yesterday and she is BEAUTIFUL! I wouldn't say she's showing her age. Maybe if that's what you're looking for you could find it but she was beautiful to me. The service was wonderful (as you would expect from Disney).
That's how I felt too when we sailed in December. We're getting back on one last time in April before she leaves Galveston

One thing I did notice was the difference in the number of characters on our last cruise on the Magic, which was 7 nights, compared to the number of characters on our Wonder cruise, which was only 4 nights. The 7-night cruise - oh my! - they were everywhere. I rode the elevator with Minnie! The characters were literally everywhere! They, of course, had lots of character events, but they also showed up when we went to the animation workshops, when the little ones were dancing at the different dance events scheduled, at the kid's club show they put on the last day - they were everywhere! I didn't see them nearly as much on the shorter cruise.

The service was fabulous! The waiters performed tricks at our dinner table, and we never heard the word no! It was wonderful!

mawhite424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieO View Post
We just got off the Magic yesterday and she is BEAUTIFUL! I wouldn't say she's showing her age. Maybe if that's what you're looking for you could find it but she was beautiful to me. The service was wonderful (as you would expect from Disney). From the room attendants and the dining staff to the kids counselors and all the way to the maintenance crew every Disney cast member that I interacted with was friendly and professional. Disney just knows customer service! There was a lot of characters I'll try to remember who was saw: Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisey, Goofy, Captain Hook, Smee, Peter Pan, Cinderella, Tiana, Belle, Aurora, Chip and Dale, Captain Jack, and Stitch. That's who I can remember. I have to admit though, we didn't wait in the lines to meet the characters so we sure may have missed some. Have fun. I think you'll find the Magic to be just that.... MAGIC!
Remember a cracked tile or a stain on a carpet won't make or break a cruise.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
super mike b
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
I haven't quite gotten over them moving some of our favorites, but that's life.
One thing that we have noticed of late is how things are getting back to how they used to be. The service on all four ships seems to have levelled out. We are finding new favourites on every cruise!
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
super mike b
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminyC_fan View Post
Remember a cracked tile or a stain on a carpet won't make or break a cruise.
Agreed. Who spends their day looking at the floor for faults anyway?
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

It has been a year since I've cruised my beloved Magic, so while I can't speak to what she looks like lately, which I'm sure is fabulous, I can tell share my experiences. I first sailed her in 2002, and on average every 18 months since. In 2012 I sailed on her for the 9th time. Every time I have been on board she has looked awesome!!!

They do an incredible job of maintaining those ships. As others have said, if you want to spend time looking for not so shinny things you'll find them. But in most cases they are going to be worked on. We had a veranda last year, and there was some rust on it and the surounding ones. Rust! Go figure, on a ship that is on the ocean 24/7. Half way through the cruise we got a note saying that they would be working on these while we were at CC. So they did, scrape and prime them. I'm sure a fresh coat of paint went on when wel left the ship.

Bottom line is, the ships are amazing and Disney does a first rate job at keeping them up. One disclaimer, you will undoubtedly see things being worked on, railings sanded and re-varnished, other areas being scraped and painted. This is on going and never stops. Just part of the up keep. And can has to be done while guest are on board, as there isn't much "alone" time for the ships until they go into dry dock.

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney magic cruise

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: