Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

Question Disney Cruise Guide Book

Hi Everyone!

I am in the middle of planning our family's very first cruise. We have been planning for a while, and as such I have run across some great information. Some I have found here on the DIS boards, and other information I have found in the 2 guidebooks I have bought. ( Birbaum's Guide and the Passporters Guide Book)

As a first time cruiser, I feel there were a few areas that could have been expanded in both guide books. And I have some questions that were not covered at all in either of the guidebooks. I'm not complaining by any means, but just things that I noticed as I read through them. I really feel like each guidebook has its strong points, but maybe a little bit of room for improvement.

I was talking to my husband about how nice it would be if there was a more complete book available since I have been carrying both around, and referencing both for planning information. My Husband mentioned to me the other night that I could probably write a book with all of the information I have gathered from my own research. I'm seriously considering it at the moment, but I was looking for some feedback.

My questions to my fellow DIS members are:

Have you bought guide books for the Disney Cruise Line before? And if so which ones did you like and why?

Also, what information did you feel wasn't covered completely? Any topics that you would like to see covered?

Again, this is still in the beginning stages. I'm not sure that this will ever be more than just a hobby for me, but you have to start somewhere right?

Any suggestions, comments, or questions are welcomed. Thanks for reading!
CrawfordMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The Passporter is probably the best book available, and the authors really TRY to keep it accurate. However, ANY book is out of date before it is published. There have been a lot of changes on DCL in the last 2 years.

As to writing your own--got for it if you want, but I don't think you can do better than the Passporter. You'd have to cruise each ship at least once a year (there are differences among the ships), and by the time you had all the details of one down, it would be time to do it all over again. Guess it would make your cruises a business expense though.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

I have the Passporter and think it is an excellent resource for Disney cruising. I haven't found it to be lacking information. If I could change one thing about it, it would be to have fewer photos of the authors and their various family members.

I'm not sure the market needs another DCL book besides this one, but with that being said I would at least be curious with other DCL guides. Good luck if you decide to go forth with this!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
The Passporter is probably the best book available, and the authors really TRY to keep it accurate. However, ANY book is out of date before it is published. There have been a lot of changes on DCL in the last 2 years.

As to writing your own--got for it if you want, but I don't think you can do better than the Passporter. You'd have to cruise each ship at least once a year (there are differences among the ships), and by the time you had all the details of one down, it would be time to do it all over again. Guess it would make your cruises a business expense though.
I agree; we've found Passporter to be an excellent source (also goes for their WDW guide book as well, just my opinion).

I think it would be a lot of fun to try & work up your own book. Hey give it a shot, what's the worst that can happen? You would get to sail on the Disney ships a bunch of times, eat at Palo, enjoy Remy, chill out with a Konk Kooler on Castaway Cay. Sounds pretty good to me.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: