Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
RDP
DIS Veteran

August Disney

We are all booked for an August Disney Trip, we fly on the 18th. Just booked the Gatwick Hilton and parking tonight for the pre flight stay. Who else is going in August? We are just deciding on the ADR,s to book as the booking window opens up in a couple of weeks time. On the shortlist are:

Crystal Palace
Be Our Guest
Liberty Tree Tavern
Plaza Restaurant
T-Rex
Coral Reef
Rose & Crown
Hollywood Brown Derby
Boma (breakfast)
Flying Fish
Sanaa

Ok so not really a Short list!
1999-Swan, 2001- Grand Floridian, 2002-Yacht & Beach Club, 2003- Animal Kingdom Lodge,2004- Grand Floridian&Disney Cruise,2006- Off site, 2008- Dolphin, 2009-AKV Kidani, 2010-Saratoga Springs ,2011-AKV Kidani ,2012 - Port Orleans, DCL-Dream & Beach Club, 2013 - AKV Kidani , 2014 PFB, DCL, CR

Last edited by RDP; 02-02-2013 at 01:37 PM.
RDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
Claire Bear
Mouseketeer

I'm going with DBF on 16th August, staying at YC, can't wait. Haven't booked our car parking at Manchester yet.
I've just been looking at the restaurant thread and looking at food pictures. So far we're thinking:
Sci-fi
Yak and Yeti
Yachtsman Steakhouse
Rainforest Cafe
Beaches & Cream
Claire Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
RDP
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Bear View Post
I'm going with DBF on 16th August, staying at YC, can't wait. Haven't booked our car parking at Manchester yet.
I've just been looking at the restaurant thread and looking at food pictures. So far we're thinking:
Sci-fi
Yak and Yeti
Yachtsman Steakhouse
Rainforest Cafe
Beaches & Cream
We ate at Sci-Fi, YM and B&C last November, loved them all, they all have a really different feel. The Yachtsman really stood out, loved it. We stayed at the BC and loved the location. Stormalong Bay was great, we also loved being so close to Boardwalk where we could go to the bakery for breakfast.
1999-Swan, 2001- Grand Floridian, 2002-Yacht & Beach Club, 2003- Animal Kingdom Lodge,2004- Grand Floridian&Disney Cruise,2006- Off site, 2008- Dolphin, 2009-AKV Kidani, 2010-Saratoga Springs ,2011-AKV Kidani ,2012 - Port Orleans, DCL-Dream & Beach Club, 2013 - AKV Kidani , 2014 PFB, DCL, CR
Old 02-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
Claire Bear
Mouseketeer

Haven't really thought about breakfast yet. I want to do a character breakfast but DBF isn't keen, he thinks its not suitable for adults! I like the look of Ohana and Tepan Edo too, I've never eaten at any Disney restaurants and DBF has never been to Disney (or even America!) so I'm enjoying doing the research. Can't wait to be swimming in SAB.
Less than 200 days till we go! Woohoo!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
RDP
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Bear View Post
Haven't really thought about breakfast yet. I want to do a character breakfast but DBF isn't keen, he thinks its not suitable for adults! I like the look of Ohana and Tepan Edo too, I've never eaten at any Disney restaurants and DBF has never been to Disney (or even America!) so I'm enjoying doing the research. Can't wait to be swimming in SAB.
Less than 200 days till we go! Woohoo!
Your staying in a great location and have all the restaurants in World Showcase just a short walk away. Grand Floridan cafe do a nice breakfast! its not a character, its also not a buffet, worth a look if your looking for a more grown up breakfast.

Last edited by RDP; 02-02-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Claire Bear
Mouseketeer

I've always wanted to stay at YC or BC and I love the idea of being in that location. Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look at GF cafe for breakfast
Old 02-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Shazzie B
DIS Veteran

Boma, Crystal Palace, Ohana & Rainforest Cafe are on our 'must do' list, we've been numerous times and their our favorites. Also returning to Prime Time Cafe & Yak & Yeti for the 1st time in a few years. I'd reccommend these to anyone (as long as menus suit your tastes) We're going to try a couple of 'new' ones this year too - Tepan Edo & Biergarten.

Claire Bear - lots of just adult groups do Character meals - he may feel more comfortable with 'full costume' characters that don't speak, rather than the Princess ones.

May 2002 All Star Movies; May 2003 La Quinta 192; Dec 2004 Nikki Bird; April 2006 Holiday Inn & Dolphin Beach, St. Petes; Aug 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge; Aug 2008 Coronado Springs; Aug 2009 Highlands Reserve & Animal Kingdom Lodge; Oct 2010 Best Western Lakeside; Oct 2012 Arcadia Gardens; Sept 2013 Old Key West;Sept 2014 Transatlantic on Magic
Shazzie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
RDP
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzie B View Post
Boma, Crystal Palace, Ohana & Rainforest Cafe are on our 'must do' list, we've been numerous times and their our favorites. Also returning to Prime Time Cafe & Yak & Yeti for the 1st time in a few years. I'd reccommend these to anyone (as long as menus suit your tastes) We're going to try a couple of 'new' ones this year too - Tepan Edo & Biergarten.

Claire Bear - lots of just adult groups do Character meals - he may feel more comfortable with 'full costume' characters that don't speak, rather than the Princess ones.
May have to take a look at Tepan Edo, get lots of good reviews!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

We love Teppan Edo I would highly recommend it. The children like it too and my daughter is not at all adventurous.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
Sunset_Princess
Mouseketeer

We've done Teppen Edo once. Enjoyed it but wouldn't do it again. It was just the two of usso if you have a larger party, it may be better. The food was great but I'd rather spend the money in a different restaurant like Tokyo Dining for example. We LOVE it there. It's great food and atmosphere. I highly recommend it if you like Japanese food
Other places on our list this year are:
Boma (first time)
Kona Cafe (Breakfast. Really good Tonga toast!)
50's Prime Time (another of our fav. Good hearty food)
Via Napoli (pizza there is amazing!)
Whispering Canyon Cafe (this will be our first time. I'm not 100% yet as they don't seem to do the skillet anymore and that is what we liked the look of)
Tusker house (one of our absolute faves!)
T-Rex (amazing ribs! It's a bit loud but the food makes up for it)
Le Cellier (never been and again not 100% as I've not seen great reviews lately)
O'hana (not explanation needed!)

Think that's all we have at the moment. We are looking for somewhere else for breakfast, a buffet. We have done 1900 and Trail Ends so don't want to go there again (both really good though!) and would prefer something without characters.

46 Weeks of my life so far spent at WDW!
Sunset_Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
Holstar
Have faith in your dreams, and someday, your rainbow will come smiling through

We're staying at the YC from the 23rd of August until the 3rd of September!

We've just finished working out where we want to book dining reservations - only just under three weeks until we can make reservations! At the moment, our list is made up of...

* Yachtsman Steakhouse - after our first full day. It's in the resort so the girls can crash afterwards and it's well reviewed.
* Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre
* Via Napoli
* Be Our Guest
* 50's Prime Time Cafe
* Coral Reef (slightly worried as I really dislike fish, but my Partner is a big fan)
* Sanaa (negotiable, I'm not all that excited about it, so it's not for sure yet!)
* Cinderella's Royal Table... for our last night

We still need to fill one space for dinner, preferably something within MK? And, we need to decide upon a dinner show... Can't decide between Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue or Spirit of Aloha. Aaaand, I'd like to do breakfast somewhere!

Any suggestions?

xx

Me, 25 Ben, 27 : Daisy, 16 Jasmine, 13 Chloe, 10

.~* 22nd August - 9th September 2014, Walt Disney World Old Key West *~.
Holstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

This is only my view I know (!) but I would not, not, not pay for the Spirit of Aloha. I thought the show was poor and the food in edible. Have not done Hoop de Doo.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
Sunset_Princess
Mouseketeer

We really enjoyed Hoop Dee Doo. Food was great and the show was funny. Lots of audience interaction.

46 Weeks of my life so far spent at WDW!
Sunset_Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:16 AM   #14
Shazzie B
DIS Veteran

Dinner Shows; We were the opposite - we didn't enjoy Hoop de Doo that much - felt very rushed out after meal/show. We all enjoyed Spirit of Aloha howver (several years ago now though so don't know if food has changed as we though food was better - especially the bread & salad) and went back a 2nd time. 1st part of show is 'cheesy' but I liked the fact that the 2nd part of the show - which was more interesting - traditional dancing & Fire-eater was after you'd finished eating - so it didn't feel like 'shows finished - no more food you're out of here' We didn't 'pay' for either show as used two TS credits when on free DDP (we don't have TS on our 1st night so always have 1 spare).

Wilderness Cafe: We used to love this, been twice before as a family of four & in a group of 6 always had skillet. So when menu changed last year & skillet' was all they offerered (also slight change to what was included) we decided it wouldn't be a prob - a decision we regretted. This was one of our most expensive meals and probably the worst. Service was poor - not servers fault she just had too many tables to deal with. When we asked for more chicken - they bought a platter out with lots of different meats & only two pieces of chicken (we were a party of 12). So we asked again for some more chicken, as a couple of our party only ate chicken, we were told we couldn't as we still had loads of meat on the table (which we hadn't even asked for). It also took took 3 requests for me to have my drink re-filled. We won't be going back.

May 2002 All Star Movies; May 2003 La Quinta 192; Dec 2004 Nikki Bird; April 2006 Holiday Inn & Dolphin Beach, St. Petes; Aug 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge; Aug 2008 Coronado Springs; Aug 2009 Highlands Reserve & Animal Kingdom Lodge; Oct 2010 Best Western Lakeside; Oct 2012 Arcadia Gardens; Sept 2013 Old Key West;Sept 2014 Transatlantic on Magic
Shazzie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #15
Sarah28
DIS Veteran

We're August too (15-29) at OKW and our short list sounds similar! Just under 2 weeks to go til we can book them

WDW: April 1999: Port Orleans French Quarter • October 2011 (Halloween & MNSSHP): All Star Music - Engaged in the Haunted Mansion! - Read this TR here!
• August 2013: Old Key West Read this PTR here!

DLRP: Oct 2005 (Halloween trip!): Santa Fe • May 2006: Santa Fe • February 2007: Santa Fe • December 2007 (Christmas trip!): Santa Fe • October 2008 (Halloween trip!): offsite
• February 2010: offsite • November 2010 (Christmas trip!): offsite • February 2012: offsite • June 2012: offsite • October 2012 (Halloween trip!): offsite • June 2012: offsite • July 2013: offsite • April 2014: Magic Circus
Sarah28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: