Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #16
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFan123 View Post
I received an email welcome from the concierge at AKL, so I replied to it and asked them my question about the savannah view. Without answering to tell me if ALL CL rooms have a savannah view, they did confirm that we will have one for our stay. So I still don't know the actual answer, but knowing we have a savannah view waiting is fine with me!
Hi...I'm following along! Your trip sounds so exciting so far - and as much as I love the long term planning, the shorter more spontaneous trips are so great because they are so close!!

I was listening to the DIS podcast the other day and they mentioned that even if you don't stay on the 6th(?) floor, which is CL, you will get a room with a view - it just may be on a different floor and your KTTWC will be coded for the lounge.

Can't wait to hear more about your trip. We considered AKL this trip, but opted for a BC/Poly split - BC is our favorite as well (details of that line of thinking are in my PTR in my sig line). We are going to do the WAT though.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #17
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Haven't had much of a chance to update you on our trip planning this week, but we did make some changes to our ADRS last night.

First, we booked a dinner reservation for Kona for our first full day at the MK. Originally, I was concerned we'd be so hot we'd just end up back at the hotel in the evening, but now I'm thinking that if we take the monorail for a nice leisurely dinner at the Poly, we might feel less hot and more like watching the Main Street Electrical Parade this evening. So Kona is booked! This was one of our favorite meals last trip, so I can't wait to go again!

We also flip-flopped our Fantasmic dining from a Friday night to a Thursday night, because I don't even want to brave HS twice on Star Wars Weekend. When the crowds are high in this park, it's just too much!

We are thinking of giving Tokyo Dining a try for lunch one day. Would love to hear some feedback on that! I've read a few dining reviews on here, and some of the recent ones are really good. If you have personal experience with Tokyo Dining, please chime in!

Next up, I will post our revised ADR list! After some more ...hey it's Friday. Can't wait for the weekend! More time for the disboards!
I forgot to say in my last post that I love that puzzle...and I'm just like you are - I get so into the planning...all I listen to when I run are Disney songs and the podcasts play continuously in the car DW thinks I'm nuts, but she humors me

I haven't done Tokyo dining, but did do Teppan Edo last trip and it was excellent, so I would venture to guess they would both be good.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #18
DLFan123
living the dream-literally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
Hi...I'm following along! Your trip sounds so exciting so far - and as much as I love the long term planning, the shorter more spontaneous trips are so great because they are so close!!

I was listening to the DIS podcast the other day and they mentioned that even if you don't stay on the 6th(?) floor, which is CL, you will get a room with a view - it just may be on a different floor and your KTTWC will be coded for the lounge.

Can't wait to hear more about your trip. We considered AKL this trip, but opted for a BC/Poly split - BC is our favorite as well (details of that line of thinking are in my PTR in my sig line). We are going to do the WAT though.
Glad to have you here! I had heard something like that about the CL at AKL. I actually think there are few rooms that are actually on the floor with the lounge, and that most of the time you have to take the elevator. That is fine with me. DP and I both tend to be fairly adventurous.

Quote:
I forgot to say in my last post that I love that puzzle...and I'm just like you are - I get so into the planning...all I listen to when I run are Disney songs and the podcasts play continuously in the car DW thinks I'm nuts, but she humors me

I haven't done Tokyo dining, but did do Teppan Edo last trip and it was excellent, so I would venture to guess they would both be good.
We have decided that the puzzles are the best souvenirs. They are so cheap to buy, and then they provide hours of entertainment. We have an awesome Disneyland puzzle that has to be the most challenging jigsaw puzzle I've ever done in my life. (And I've done a lot because I went through a "phase" in high school. ) I will have to see if I have a pic of our completed DL puzzle and will post it here.

One of the things I am excited to try about Tokyo Dining is the tempura. I love light fluffy batter on my fried foods! We thought about Teppan Edo, but I don't like the idea of sitting with strangers, and also wasn't sure about aggravating the other guests with our special requests, since we wouldn't want any of the meat cooked with our items. Tokyo Dining just seems like the better Japan option for us for now.
DLFan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
DLFan123

We did it! Split-split-stay reduced to split-stay!

It has been a couple of days since I have updated you on our trip planning, but that is just because DP and I have been so busy discussing things, making minor adjustments, and also trying to get ready for our Disneyland trip, which according to our ticker is just 5 days away!

Travelling is our favorite hobby, yet it never gets easier. In fact, as we get older, it seems to get harder. We just don't gear up for it as easily as we used to, and there are lots of obligations at home with work, our house and our very high maintenance dogs. Going on trips means squeezing all those obligations into fewer days. We have a lovely friend who stays at our house to watch our dogs when we go out of town, and we are so lucky to have her! Our dogs are so much work, and they simply would not tolerate boarding. They hardly tolerate being home with her instead of us. Anyway, since she will be staying here, we have to do something we both dread before we leave... We have to CLEAN! So this weekend we have been engaged in "the big clean" as I like to call it. This is when we clean the entire house more thoroughly than we almost ever do otherwise. The good news is we travel often enough that little quick cleans in between keeps our home in pretty good shape.

So this is what we have been up to...cleaning and talking about Disney trips.

Just yesterday, DP and I were realizing just how excited we are to actually stay at AKL and also to stay on the CL. We also talked about how much we dread having to check into a resort for just one night. It feels so involved. I know with them transferring your luggage, it really isn't THAT involved, but still...we are the types of travellers who like to settle in. We like to unpack (actually I like to unpack, I really think DP couldn't care less about this), relax and feel like we are on vacation rather than feeling like we still aren't at our destination. Our last trip was a split stay. We did 3 nights at POR and then 7 nights at BC. We really weren't sure about doing a split stay. I feared it wouldn't feel like our vacation actually started until we arrived at BC. I was right, but at least the whole process of transferring was simpler than I had expected. Also, we loved experiencing POR but would probably never dedicate an entire trip to that resort, so the split stay mostly worked for us. So here we are about to do it again, but I was thinking...split-split stay? I was not so sure...and neither was DP! We discussed it and both agreed we'd rather just stay all 3 nights at AKL. True, it is a lot to pay when we won't even be arriving at the resort until almost midnight, but I think it will be worth it. We will have one more morning there to see the animals on the savannah (hopefully!), one more morning to enjoy the Nescafe in the lounge , one more morning to sample the club level offerings and just take it all in. So since I am on call for work all weekend and have to be available to take calls from other staff, DP just graciously agreed to make the call to WDW reservations and guess what?! We booked the third night!

We are admittedly a little bummed we won't get to check out the new AOA resort, but we just aren't adventurous enough to stay in 3 different resorts on the same vacation. Maybe next time...
Old 02-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #20
DLFan123

Quote:

Hey I have a question-do you listen to the podcasts on the radio? I mean how do you get them in the car? What is a podcast? I don't know any of these things!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #21
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey I have a question-do you listen to the podcasts on the radio? I mean how do you get them in the car? What is a podcast? I don't know any of these things!
I think you will be happy with your extra night at AKL!

A podcast is a discussion, kind of like a talk show, on any topic the owner of it chooses. I listend to the DIS boards podcasts, and they discuss all things Disney World and Disneyland. I download the podcasts onto my iphone, and then listen to them in the car that way.

If you have itunes, search for "The DIS Unplugged". Then download them (they are free). If you have an iphone (or I suppose any other smart phone) there is an app call podcasts. I am pretty sure it is standard on iphones, because I don't remember downloading it. You open up the Podcast player and then just select one of the topics.

LMK if this makes sense or if you need better instructions. Just a warning though, they are addicting Oh and if you don't have a smart phone, you can listen and even watch some through your computer. Just go here:

http://www.disunplugged.com/

Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #22
DLFan123

Thanks for the tips, Christine! My DP is pretty excited to check out the podcast on her ipod. I on the other hand am not so technologically up-to-date and don't have an ipod. I'll have to listen to hers after she downloads the podcasts.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #23
DLFan123

Updated ADRs as promised!

I'm back with an update of our ADR. We've toiled over these today and finally made the last revisions. Does anybody else find the WDW dining reservations page horribly slow and tedious? Our computers just don't like their site. (I guess I should have utilized our access to itinerary planning through our CL stay. Lesson learned for next time!)

Here is what we have so far, and since we have pretty much every meal planned already I will also include the counter service places we plan to eat at.

On Friday after work, we will eat in the Denver airport before we leave
Arrival night midnight, no meals planned

Day 1
Breakfast quick bites from our CL lounge
Lunch Sci-Fi
Dinner Sanaa
Dessert CL lounge

Day 2
Breakfast following our Sunrise Safari
Lunch Yak and Yeti
Dinner snacks from the lounge

Day 3
Breakfast in the CL lounge
Lunch Tangeriene Cafe
Dinner Beaches and Cream
Treats from France for Illuminations

Day 4
Breakfast quick snack from Beach Club Marketplace or snacks from home
Lunch Columbia Harbor House
Dinner Kona Cafe

Day 5
Breakfast Beach Club Marketplace
Lunch Sunshine Seasons
Dinner Coral Reef

Day 6
Sleep-in!
Late Breakfast-we still can't decide where??? Any suggestions near BC/Epcot?
Dinner Mama Melrose Fantasmic Dining (early ressie at 3:45 pm)
Snacks for dessert in Fantasmic

Day 7
Breakfast quick bite BCM or snacks from home
Lunch Tony's Town Square
Dinner Via Napoli

Day 8
Breakfast quick bite
Lunch Tokyo Dining
Dinner Cape May Clambake

Day 9

Departure Day
Breakfast/Lunch QS in Epcot (I'm thinking either breakfast from France or La Cantina nachos)
Snack for the plane-cheese plate and desserts from France!

We will have to board the ME about 3 pm on our last day. I can't even bear to think of it!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #24
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Hi! Joining in! I have been following your DLR dining review and wandered over here. DS and I are heading back to WDW in August and I am hoping maybe to book AKL club level depending on finances.

We tried Tokyo Dining last August and it was wonderful. Surprise meal of the trip. Here's the link to our review ...

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=600

I really enjoyed the tempura. It was definitely a light, crunchy batter. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #25
DLFan123

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
Hi! Joining in! I have been following your DLR dining review and wandered over here. DS and I are heading back to WDW in August and I am hoping maybe to book AKL club level depending on finances.

We tried Tokyo Dining last August and it was wonderful. Surprise meal of the trip. Here's the link to our review ...

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=600

I really enjoyed the tempura. It was definitely a light, crunchy batter. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Thanks! I'm glad to have you reading! I have read some of your dining reviews and think it is so special that you and your son take so many trips together just the two of you! (I guess I have been a lurker but only recently became a commenter.)

I hope you will be able to stay at AKL CL in August. No matter what, I'm sure your trip will be great. I plan to post some pics from our May trip on the CL picture thread and will give some sort of update. From what I've read, it's a great CL experience and also a lot more affordable than some of the other club level prices.

I just checked out your review. The tempura looks good and also those sushi rolls! I am excited to dine in a new country! (Actually Italy and Japan will be new countries this trip.)

We are starting to have doubts about Mama Melrose and might ditch that one...
Old 02-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #26
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We are starting to have doubts about Mama Melrose and might ditch that one...
We had a really good meal at MM in 2011 and just a 'meh one this trip but it is still a favorite of mine. I really like the atmosphere. Is it the best italian food? Definitely not. I loved the clams appetizer though (so dissappointed they changed the menu!). And it is a nice break for us on a DHS day. So I say, give it a try! Especially if it is for the F! package.
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #27
DLFan123

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
We had a really good meal at MM in 2011 and just a 'meh one this trip but it is still a favorite of mine. I really like the atmosphere. Is it the best italian food? Definitely not. I loved the clams appetizer though (so dissappointed they changed the menu!). And it is a nice break for us on a DHS day. So I say, give it a try! Especially if it is for the F! package.
I've heard that about the atmosphere at MM. I'm still not sure-keeping the ressie for now but still having my doubts...thanks for you input. I don't think I'm the pickiest eater and certainly don't have the most refined tastes anyway. Usually decent food, good service and nice atmosphere are all I expect.

I do wonder if anybody knows if we do the Fantasmic dining package, do we get to order from the regular menu? Or are our choices different? The general consensus on the disboards seems to be that the Fantasmic dessert plate at MM is awful. I want to order a regular dessert from the regular menu. It hadn't occurred to me that there might be a separate menu for Fantasmic dining. Any input welcomed!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #28
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Joining in. Sounds like you have a great trip planned. We are doing the same split in August, so I am curious to see how you like it. We also have many of the same meals planned as you. It will be our first time at AKL and we try to go to BCV every time. The safari sounds fabulous!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #29
DLFan123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333disneymom View Post
Joining in. Sounds like you have a great trip planned. We are doing the same split in August, so I am curious to see how you like it. We also have many of the same meals planned as you. It will be our first time at AKL and we try to go to BCV every time. The safari sounds fabulous!
We feel like no trip would be complete without a stay at BC! This will be our first time at AKL also. I'm just so excited! I am thinking about posting a trip report, not just a dining report, for our coming trip. We will see but if nothing else, I will post some trip updates/report in my next dining review. I love writing the dining reviews!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #30
DLFan123

All plans for our DW trip are currently on hold, because we have bigger fish to fry. Tomorrow we leave for DL!

I'm nervous and a little stressed because there are so many little things I wanted to get done before this trip, but haven't had the chance to do. I'm trying to calm myself down, because it's a quick trip and things will be just fine no matter what, but there is a tiny type-a person that lives inside of me and threatens to come out before vacations. I just want everything to be perfect.

I am so excited for our DL trip, though. It is going to be a pretty basic trip, but we are super excited for a few things. First, DLR finally added an early entry hour for annual passholders, which means we will have to do that of course! We will be entering DCA early on Saturday (RSR here we come!) and then DL early on Sunday. Our friends form NH won't be arriving until Sunday late afternoon. I'm so excited to see them and spend this time with them! This will be their kids' second trip to DL but probably the first the youngest will remember. It is so neat to think we will be part of those memories for him.

Anyway, I'll update with some pictures when we get back to go along with continued planning for our WDW trip in May. Until then, Happy V Day to everyone!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: