Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
AJPPGH
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 155

Need help with transportation please.

We are flying into Orlando the day before the cruise and will need to get to Cape Canaveral. I can't figure out the best way to do this. (We haven't picked a hotel yet either and would love any suggestions for that-something on the beach would be ideal)

After the cruise I will then need to get up to Universal Orlando from Cape Canaveral.

Should I just get one service and combine it all? Any recs on who to get? There are so many I don't know where to start.
AJPPGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled
 
jdb in AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,570

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPPGH View Post
We are flying into Orlando the day before the cruise and will need to get to Cape Canaveral. I can't figure out the best way to do this. (We haven't picked a hotel yet either and would love any suggestions for that-something on the beach would be ideal)

After the cruise I will then need to get up to Universal Orlando from Cape Canaveral.

Should I just get one service and combine it all? Any recs on who to get? There are so many I don't know where to start.
How many people in your party? would you consider renting a car, or is that too much hassle?

If you book limo service round trip you can get a $5.00 discount using a coupon from MouseSavers. Not much of a savings, but it's better than a kick in the teeth.

We've used Happy Limo and Tiffany Town Car. They've both gotten a lot of good reviews here on the DIS.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
AJPPGH
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 155

There is 2 adults and 2 kids. IS there much of a price difference with a limo? I looked into renting and it wouldn't make sense.
AJPPGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
jhryb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Posts: 751

You might consider staying at the Orlando Hyatt Airport hotel and pre-booking the Disney transfers for the Morning. The Hyatt takes care of all of you luggage so you don't even need to take it from your room to the bus because they will do it for you.
__________________
jhryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
VowRenewal13
Mouseketeer
 
VowRenewal13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Anniston, AL
Posts: 243

There are five adults and two kids on our next cruise. We are arriving the day before and will be staying at Cocoa Beach. We have used Happy Limo several times in the past and will be using them again this year. They will take us from the airport to our hotel. We will use the hotel shuttle to the port and back to the hotel after the cruise, spend another night there and then have the limo service pick us up and take us to the airport for our flights home. Happy Limo is cheaper for us then using Disney Magical Express.
__________________
VowRenewal13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
AJPPGH
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 155

thanks-going to look them up right now!
AJPPGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
~Mandy~
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 90

Last year we used a service that picked us up at the airport and took us to the Radisson at port canaveral. They had a great pool area and we walked over to the beach. It wasn't too far, but it was a decent walk. We used the same service to take us to the airport after the cruisel.

This year, with an infant in tow, I think we'll rent a car to go from the airport to the hotel (staying at Radisson again) and then maybe use a service to get back to the airport afterwards or even Disney transportation...still trying to figure that part out
__________________
Me DH DS(6) DS(born april 2013)

2006 - Springhill Suites
2009 & 2010 - Floridays
2011 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek
2012 - DCL Fantasy (Eastern)
2013 - DCL Fantasy (Western)
~Mandy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
AJPPGH
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 155

thanks Mandy! Thats what my agent at cruise.com actually recommended but tehn on tripadvisor the reviews were not great for that hotel. But it sounds like you liked it. So my questions if you can answer back are:

- how easy was it to get the shuttle from the airport? hard to find shuttle/long wait time?

-was the hotel near anythng? I would like to book a hotel that is walking distance to the most stuff and closest to the beach. Last night I came across the LaQuinta which gets a good tripadvisor review and is right next door to the Pier-which looks kind of cool.

-have you looked into pricing for renting a car? I am getting some that are ridic high-like $200
AJPPGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
carpenta
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: grand isle, Vermont USA
Posts: 1,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mandy~ View Post
Last year we used a service that picked us up at the airport and took us to the Radisson at port canaveral. They had a great pool area and we walked over to the beach. It wasn't too far, but it was a decent walk. We used the same service to take us to the airport after the cruisel.

This year, with an infant in tow, I think we'll rent a car to go from the airport to the hotel (staying at Radisson again) and then maybe use a service to get back to the airport afterwards or even Disney transportation...still trying to figure that part out
We stayed at the Radisson also and our daughter LOVED the pool. Easy shuttle to the ship.There is an Italian food and pizza place next door and a walk to the resturaunts on the canal that you can see the ship(s) from. The only problem we find is that the hassel of dropping off the car and getting the shuttle to the car rental to pick it back up especially with a kid in tow. We used a limo service from the airport and still cheaper than Disney transport.There are many good car service co. and happy limo as well as Tiffany come highly recommended. Have a wonderful cruise.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
Nicki828
Mouseketeer
 
Nicki828's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPPGH View Post
We are flying into Orlando the day before the cruise and will need to get to Cape Canaveral. I can't figure out the best way to do this. (We haven't picked a hotel yet either and would love any suggestions for that-something on the beach would be ideal)

After the cruise I will then need to get up to Universal Orlando from Cape Canaveral.

Should I just get one service and combine it all? Any recs on who to get? There are so many I don't know where to start.
Just got back today. We were 2 families of 4. We arrived last Friday in Orlando, rented a car from Budget and drove to Cocoa Beach at stayed at La Quinta overnight. Returned the car to the local Budget rental and they shuttled us to the cruise ship. Today we caught a shuttle to Budget and dropped the car off at the airport. This was absolutely the cheapest option for us. I managed to find a midsized car for $29.95 on the way down and it was around $55 on the way back.
__________________
Disney Fantasy Cruise - Jan 2013

Disney Caribbean Beach Resort - Nov 2008
Nicki828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
momtoleasawav
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicki828 View Post
Just got back today. We were 2 families of 4. We arrived last Friday in Orlando, rented a car from Budget and drove to Cocoa Beach at stayed at La Quinta overnight. Returned the car to the local Budget rental and they shuttled us to the cruise ship. Today we caught a shuttle to Budget and dropped the car off at the airport. This was absolutely the cheapest option for us. I managed to find a midsized car for $29.95 on the way down and it was around $55 on the way back.
I am interested in how the shuttle ran from budget to the port. what time did you get to budget and how long did you have to wait for a shuttle? I will be doing this in two weeks. Thanks!
__________________
momtoleasawav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicki828 View Post
Just got back today. We were 2 families of 4. We arrived last Friday in Orlando, rented a car from Budget and drove to Cocoa Beach at stayed at La Quinta overnight. Returned the car to the local Budget rental and they shuttled us to the cruise ship. Today we caught a shuttle to Budget and dropped the car off at the airport. This was absolutely the cheapest option for us. I managed to find a midsized car for $29.95 on the way down and it was around $55 on the way back.
You were able to fit luggage for a family of 4 on a 7 nt cruise into a midsize car? Did you strap it to the roof?

I had a hard time fitting it all into a full size.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #13
SonicGuy
Mouseketeer
 
SonicGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Suburban Dallas
Posts: 346

We rent a car at MCO as well and return at Cape Canaveral. All of the offices are close and have good shuttles.


A little hint - if you belong to Costco, book through their website and I've never been charged a "one way fee". When I compare my Costco quote to the companies own websites I've found an additional $50-$75 in those fees.
__________________


SonicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
Gretel
I like being ME
 
Gretel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 973

Quote:
Originally Posted by VowRenewal13 View Post
There are five adults and two kids on our next cruise. We are arriving the day before and will be staying at Cocoa Beach. We have used Happy Limo several times in the past and will be using them again this year. They will take us from the airport to our hotel. We will use the hotel shuttle to the port and back to the hotel after the cruise, spend another night there and then have the limo service pick us up and take us to the airport for our flights home. Happy Limo is cheaper for us then using Disney Magical Express.
Disney Magical Express is free, are you talking Disney Cruiseline transfers?
Gretel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #15
jmarsh
Mouseketeer
 
jmarsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretel

Disney Magical Express is free, are you talking Disney Cruiseline transfers?
Disney Magical Express isn't free... It is $35 per person....
__________________
jmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.