DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
WDWmom08
Mouseketeer

Aulani Cabanas

How far in advance can/should you book a pool cabana? Thanks!

Alicia
WDWmom08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
lulubelle
I am Miss Klutz Woman
We could seriously have a Pirate Party in there!
As far as pants go, we were not allowed to wear them

Bumping up to see if we get an answer. I am going in about 90 days and curious what the timeframe is. Don't want to call too soon but don't want to miss out.

DH~You will forever be in my heart
lulubelle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
Fuhnuh
Mouseketeer

We have been three times. The trips were (11/11, 06/12, 11/12) and we booked about 60 days in advance. We were able to get one of the first four cabanas 2/3rd's of the time. We have been told cabana preference goes to whoever books earlier. I already booked for our 6/12 trip because we already know we will want them. I would say that how far you book in advance would depend on how busy it is the time of year you are going and how important a particular cabana area is to you. I would think 45-60 days would be okay for the beginning or middle of May, especially if you do not have a heavy preference for one of the four cabanas around the main pool area. I don't know when the expansion is to be finished, but their are supposed to be a few cabanas in that area also. The expansion will bring more people to the resort, so I am assuming the cabanas may be harder to come by then. Hopefully, more DISers will chime in with their experiences.
Fuhnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
cbnsoul
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

We are going in June 2013 and I booked one in November or so, just to make sure I got one. They didn't say where I was on the list. Actually, it's a little odd booking over the phone. They just take your name and date without asking for a reservation number. I wasn't sure if that was all they really needed. I ended up canceling one of the two days I had booked and they found me in their system, though, so I guess that really is all they need.

Last edited by cbnsoul; 02-02-2013 at 03:18 PM.
cbnsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
WDWmom08
Mouseketeer

Thank you. We're going in July so I guess I better get on it.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

I don't see a price for the cabanas on the website but I thought I remembered seeing someone post the prices somewhere one time. Anybody know how much they go for? They sure look awfully close together. Do they make you put down a deposit when you reserve one? I might be interested in having one for a day or 2 or an afternoon or 2 but I hate having to schedule every minute of our trip so far in advance. Can I reserve one for a couple of days at 2 or 3 months out then cancel off later what we decide we don't want? Once we get there if we find out we got one in a poor location can we cancel it then or is that a penalty to cancel at the last minute?

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (Still a work in progress.)
Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #7
erikawolf2004
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
I don't see a price for the cabanas on the website but I thought I remembered seeing someone post the prices somewhere one time. Anybody know how much they go for? They sure look awfully close together. Do they make you put down a deposit when you reserve one? I might be interested in having one for a day or 2 or an afternoon or 2 but I hate having to schedule every minute of our trip so far in advance. Can I reserve one for a couple of days at 2 or 3 months out then cancel off later what we decide we don't want? Once we get there if we find out we got one in a poor location can we cancel it then or is that a penalty to cancel at the last minute?
I would like to know this info also....but we are going in March.

erikawolf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
cbnsoul
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I can (kinda) answer some of your questions. You can cancel a reservation a few months out and there is no deposit (read my prior post). The price is $250-$300 after taxes. I don't know about last minute cancelations.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
WDWmom08
Mouseketeer

Well I just called to reserve one for our trip in July. They are fully booked for our entire stay. They did ask for my reservation number. On another note they said the construction completion deadline has been extended until the fall.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
okiedokieartichoke
Miss Smith

Cabanas can be booked before you even have a hotel reservation. You can book I believe 1 year in advance. If you have a preference it's best to book as soon as possible. Just a matter of days can be the difference in getting a main pool cabana or getting a (less preferred for some) Menehune Bridge cabana. There is no cancelation fee, currently, if you decide to cancel your reservation, and currently there is no deposit taken. The price is $275+ tax, with 10% off for DVC members. Walk ups are taken for cabanas for half day rentals as well, for 4 hour time slots either for morning or for afternoon for $150 plus tax.
okiedokieartichoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
WDWmom08
Mouseketeer

I think that's awful that they don't have a cancellation fee. People can book one for their entire stay and ditch it day of without penalty meanwhile I can't book one 5 months out. And there is no wait list.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
Anal Annie

After reading that WDWmom08's entire stay was booked up for her dates in July I just called about availability for our trip in August. While I think we would really prefer to just have one for 1/2 days since they didn't take reservations for 1/2 days I went ahead and reserved one for our first full day and our last full day. I haven't discussed this with DH yet so will likely cancel off 1 of them later when we have a better idea what we're doing on what day. I think it might be nice to have one for our first full day there so we can just relax and enjoy the resort. Interestingly, the girl I spoke to insisted she did not need our reservation number. I asked 3 times and she kept saying no. When I asked about a cancelation policy she said they just need to know the day before and then she said the pool manager would call us day before the reservation to see which area we would like to be in. Then she asked if she could go ahead and make a note on the request and I said we'd like to be in the group closest to the ocean. I asked how many other people had put in for reservations so far and she said we were 3rd on the list for both days.

Unlike what WDWmom08 was told she did not say that the construction was now scheduled to last until fall - she said they just don't have a completion date yet so they won't take reservations for more than the 7 cabanas that they currently have available without that other pool area being done yet. So the availability is definitely limited if they are operating on this premise. Perhaps someone else who visits there soon can get more information about the construction updates. I was also hoping the construction would be done before we go in August. WDWmom08 - if I were you I'd keep close tabs on the construction update thread and would call the resort back periodically if it sounds like you were given bad information about the completion date. With several months to go it's always possible that they WILL finish it and then they MAY have more cabanas open up.

I am glad I called when I did.

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (Still a work in progress.)
Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

Old 02-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
blondietink
DIS Veteran

Honestly, $275.00 per day is awfully expensive for a cabana, even by Hawaii's inflated standards. We're just going to get an umbrella and park it on the beach.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #14
wdrl
DIS Veteran

If I remember correctly, DVC members get a 10% discount on cabana rentals.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
Anal Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
Honestly, $275.00 per day is awfully expensive for a cabana, even by Hawaii's inflated standards. We're just going to get an umbrella and park it on the beach.
It IS expensive but might be fun for 1 day if we don't have any other excursions planned for that day... Question - is there a charge for the beach umbrellas? If so do DVC members get a discount for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrl View Post
If I remember correctly, DVC members get a 10% discount on cabana rentals.
You are correct. When I called yesterday to put our name on the list for one they said we'd get 10% off of the $275. I have read that the ongoing construction is especially noticeable from the cabanas closest to the beach (which is where we would want to be) so if the construction is still not completed when we go then I may cancel just based on why should we pay $250 to listen to jack hammers all day. Apparently now there is some question about whether or not the construction will be done before fall.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: