Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
Sulwen
Earning My Ears

Husband's a VERY picky eater...looking for recommendations

Hi everyone, first post! I just need a little bit of advice.

My husband is an INCREDIBLY picky eater. This is the list of things he'll eat:

Bread and butter
Chicken
Steak
Burgers
Pizza
Fries/mashed potatoes
Chinese (just plain chicken and sauce)
Most desserts (especially brownies and ice cream)
Some fruits (strawberries, apples)
Some breakfast foods (waffles, bacon)

For the most part, he has to have these things completely plain - nothing but cheese on his burgers, very few sauces on his meat, etc etc.

Now, here's the catch - he really does appreciate quality. There's not much that makes him happier than REALLY GOOD examples of the things he does like. I know we'll be able to keep him happy at the quick service locations (that's what we stuck to last time we were in WDW), but I'd like to know which of the nicer restaurants we could try to find the BEST bread, the BEST chicken...know what I mean?

I'm a very adventurous eater myself and will try anything, so that's not a factor, but we are on a little bit of a budget (might be able to swing ONE signature, but that would be pushing it).

If anyone could help me out, I would really appreciate it! Thank you!
Sulwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
TwoCortWort
A Buckeye Disney Princess

My dad is the same way and we all found the Plaza a favorite and offers a good variety. I am anxious to see what other suggestions come up.

TwoCortWort is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulwen View Post

Bread and butter
Chicken
Steak
Burgers
Pizza
Fries/mashed potatoes

For the most part, he has to have these things completely plain - nothing but cheese on his burgers, very few sauces on his meat, etc etc.

Now, here's the catch - he really does appreciate quality. There's not much that makes him happier than REALLY GOOD examples of the things he does like. I know we'll be able to keep him happy at the quick service locations (that's what we stuck to last time we were in WDW), but I'd like to know which of the nicer restaurants we could try to find the BEST bread, the BEST chicken...know what I mean?

I'm a very adventurous eater myself and will try anything, so that's not a factor, but we are on a little bit of a budget (might be able to swing ONE signature, but that would be pushing it).

I'm pretty much the same way. No sauces, very plain eating.

The restaurants I stick to have been these ones and I'll list why I like them.

50's Prime Time- even with the antics, they're pretty good about accommodating picky eaters. I've gotten the fried chicken and the steak there, and they have mashed potatoes. However, I was pretty disappointed with the food this past time so I might venture elsewhere on my next trip.

Artist Point- delicious bread and desserts, entrees can be a little hit and miss. I skipped it this time because I didn't like any of the side dishes they were featuring at the time. They will leave sauces off and you can usually sub in another dish's sides if you don't like what's offered with your own.

Narcoossee's was a new adventure this time. I had the filet and it was amazing but it did come with a red wine sauce. It wasn't strong or weird tasting, just a little sweet. I had asked to sub out roasted potatoes from another dish and was told they only make enough for what they expect to use for the dish it actually came with. I ended up with what the waitress said were mashed potatoes but they were some odd mashed white sweet potato. They were just too sweet for me but I probably could have gotten something else if I was more assertive over it.

Garden Grill can be good if not a little bland, as well as Sunshine Seasons. Rose and Crown has a lot of classic homey type food (oh what I wouldn't do for a yorkshire pudding) Paradiso 37 has some plain food but I wasn't a huge fan. Wolfgang Puck Cafe or Express are usually pretty good. But really, just cruise through the menus and see what appeals to you. I've been able to find something I can kind of...alter...at most places.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
Safari Queen
Now 14 miles from my happy place.

Plaza and Crystal Palace are good. The Prime Time in DHS has really good fried chicken, pot roast, and other comfort-type foods. The steak is excellent at the Yachtsman at YC and LeCellier at Epcot WS.

VWL Feb 04, OKW Oct 04, SSR Oct 04, BWV Dec 04, OKW Feb 05, BCV Sep 05, BWV Oct 05, BWV Dec 05, OKW Feb 06, BWV Nov 06, BCV Jan 07, BWV & DCL Apr 07, BWV Jun 07, F&W @ BWV Oct 07, AKL & OKW Jan 08, F&W @ AKV Oct 08, BWV Jan 09, AKL Concierge Nov 09; BCV & BWV Jan 10; BWV Oct 10; BWV Jan 11; Coronado Sp/AKL - Feb 12; BWV F&W Oct 12; AKL Oct 13
NEXT: F&W, Oct 14
Safari Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
ramsfootball92
Mouseketeer

For a wonderful steak and mashed potatoes, I love Le Cellier. The pretzel bread is very good but may not be to your hubby's liking.

me (39) , DH - (42) , DS - (21) ,DS - (20) , DD - (19) , DS - (14) , DD - (14) , DGD , DDogs - Praline and Ginger

04/81 - off-site, 4/06 - OKW, 4/07 - OKW, 04/08 - SSR, 2/09 thru 3/09 - OKW and BWV, 6/09 All-Star Sports, THV and OKW, 06/10 - AKV, 11/10 - CBR and OKW, 03/11 - OKW, 04/11 - THV, 10/11 - SSR, WL, Poly and BLT, 3/12 - YC and AKV, 5/12 - OKW and BLT, 10/12 - offsite (boo!), 3/14 - AKV

ramsfootball92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
Edgehopper
Mouseketeer

Sounds like me! Well, a little pickier than me, I'm OK with most kinds of meat and non-cheesy/creamy sauces. But you shouldn't have much of a problem here. Recommendations from my last trip:

Les Chefs de France, dinner: One of your best picks for bread service, and the steak is very good. The potatoes are cheesy and au gratin, though, which could be might be an issue. The apple crepes are excellent for dessert.

Raglan Road: My favorite steak from my last trip, and also an excellent bread service with their olive oil/Guiness dip. The mashed potatoes were also very good.

Hoop Dee Doo Revue: One your best picks for fried chicken in the parks, good cornbread, mashed potatoes, BBQ ribs if he likes those, strawberry shortcake for dessert, and it's all you can eat.

50's Prime Time Cafe: If he has a good sense of humor, this could be a fun choice. The fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and milkshakes are great, as is the Smores dessert...but everything comes with a vegetable, and the servers will make fun of you for not eating your vegetables. Especially if you're an adult male. You can warn the server that you don't want that treatment and you should be able to avoid it, but it is a fun restaurant.

Cookes of Dublin: Fries in WDW aren't generally very good, and the Yorkshire Chip Shop's frozen fries were the biggest food disappointment of my last trip. Cookes's chips are the real thing, though, plus they have fried candy bars. This is a DTD counter service spot.

Best Pizza: I've heard its Via Napoli in Epcot, but I don't eat pizza so I don't actually know.

Beaches and Cream, at the Beach Club resort, should be a good choice for you with excellent burgers and ice cream.

I haven't gotten to try it yet, but I've heard the steak and frites at Be Our Guest is excellent. MK doesn't have much good table service, so that's probably your best bet there.

For good counter service rotisserie or bbq chicken, try Cosmic Ray's in MK and Flame Tree BBQ in AK.

Your best signature restaurant choice would probably be Yachtsman's Steakhouse at the Yacht Club resort. Other places I've heard have great steaks but have never tried include the Coral Reef restaurant at Epcot (where you can get seafood!) and Kona Cafe at the Polynesian Resort.

The only Chinese table service restaurant is Nine Dragons in Epcot, which usually gets criticized as too expensive. The orange chicken at the counter service Lotus Blossom Cafe, however, is good and has an interesting, unusual taste. I really liked it.

Breakfast food: Most breakfasts will be about the same everywhere; make sure to get Mickey waffles!

Next anticipated WDW trip: Oct. 2013
Edgehopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Sulwen
Earning My Ears

Oh my goodness, you guys are fast - and VERY helpful! *takes notes*

Thank you so much!
Sulwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
RSHale
Earning My Ears

Does your husband like pineapple at all? I'm kind of picky about my food too, and I had a great bacon and pineapple burger last weekend at Parasido 37 (Downtown Disney - Pleasure Island). It comes with cheese (smoked gouda), bacon, and a slice of grilled pineapple. I ordered it well done, and it came out just the way I like it. No pink and not too dry. The server said they use 100% Angus beef. The burger is served with a side of fries. If the pineapple is outside of your husband's comfort zone, I bet they would be willing to leave it off.

I also tried the Triple Pepperoni pizza at Splitsville (Downtown Disney - West Side). I liked it quite a bit better than what Disney has been serving recently at most of their counter service locations. It was also large enough that I could have split it with someone. I can't remember if it was a 12" or a 14", but it was eight slices, and I ate a little less than half of it.
RSHale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
budafam
DIS Veteran

I wish my husband would eat all that yours does! Mine is MUCH pickier than that! Take that list and cut it down to pizza (only cheese), grilled cheese sandwiches, macaroni & cheese, french fries & some breakfast food (no meats, fruits or veggies). He's been to Disney twice and he likes The Plaza, Pizzafari and Tusker House for breakfast. Based on your hubby's other likes I would suggest Sci-Fi, 1900 Park Fare for breakfast, Hollywood Brown Derby for steak... I like the chicken at 'Ohana but not sure it's worth the pricetag and it's not the best I've ever had. Good luck!!! I know how it is!!!
DxDP 12/3/13-12/10/13
Upcoming Trips: 9/21-9/29 POR & 10/25-10/31 BWV 10/31-11/3 DREAM

budafam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
tstidm1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Bread and butter
Chicken
Steak
Burgers
Pizza
Fries/mashed potatoes

I've heard lots of good things about Yachtsman Steakhouse and am considering that on my trip in March. I've heard they are among the best steaks on site. Plaza is probably the best Table Service in magic Kingdom and it's not much more than Tomorrowland Terrace 200 feet ahead.
June 2011 Off Site
July 2012 Pop Century
March 2013 All Star Sports
July 2014 Dis Exclusive ABD Backstage Magic

Maybe March 2015 trip to Universal Orlando (Going to the Dark Side maybe).
tstidm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
Brook1099
DIS Veteran

My DH is kinda of a meat and potato, seafood man, so he has favorites but I have to insist on some I want to try....its give and take.

His Disney World favorites

For Burger kinda of places:
Sci Fi
Beaches and Cream
ESPN he loves there wings
Ragland Road forced him last year, and he enjoyed it alot.
Trex

Buffets:
Boma
Cape May Clambake
Biergarten
Tusker House breakfast.. not his favorite meal of day but he really likes the variety here.

Family Style:
Ohana's

Signatures
Le Cellier
Yachtsmen
Jiko, had a hard time getting him here but he loved.
Artist Point
Fultons
Brook1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Bread and butter
Chicken
Steak
Burgers
Pizza
Fries/mashed potatoes

Just about every place has chicken or steak. Now, it may be "gussied" up but all you have to do is ask for the meat "naked" with no sauces. Extremely easy to do and my husband has done it many times (and then asks for ketchup while I do a facepalm).

I'd just make sure whatever place you choose has both chicken and steak and you should be set.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #13
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

Buffets.

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Kouzinna (3.5* dinner; 4* breakfast), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0*), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (1*)

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2015?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2015?).
JZCubed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

We have two picky eaters in our family.

We find we like:
Crystal Palace
Cape May
Boma Breakfast only
Le Cellier
Yachtsman
Pizza places - Via Napoli
Ohana
Liberty Tree Tavern
Rose & Crown
Hoop de doo
Trails End
ESPN club

I have convinced them to try a few new places our next trip but I had to show proof they would find something they liked and that they could order or plain.

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
AuroraMeansDawn
DIS Veteran

Since he really likes quality you might try the Kobe beef burger at Yak and Yeti in Animal Kingdom.

And the Turf Club at Saratoga Springs is really very nice and kind of a hidden treasure with Prime Rib and a great strip steak.
Nov 1991 Offsite - June 1997 Disneyland Paris - May 1999 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - May 2000 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2010 POFQ - 25th Wedding Anniversary SSR with my Prince Charming - April 2011 - March 2013 Graduation Trip for my Boy at POFQ
AuroraMeansDawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: