Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #121
luvflorida
Free entertainment is everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plannin'Shannon View Post
I can't believe how many updates I've missed. It's coming along so quickly! Everything looks absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing all of the pictures - you're living my dream!

P.S. Your signature picture is adorable as well!
Thank you so much! Building a house has been just as exciting the second time around as it was the first time!

My signature pic, I combined my love of turtles, flips flops and grandkids. I was hoping to find a smaller pair for our soon-to-be born grandson, but they'll fit him eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet50 View Post
Your choices look so nice. I am amazed at how fast everything is coming together for you. Thank you for sharing this with us.
We're down to three weeks! At first it seemed to take forever, but now it seems to be closing in too fast! So much to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsmickeymouse View Post
Great update! Everything is perfect! I love the blind colors. Can't wait to see the pool! IT is amazing how everything came together so quickly! I love sharing this thread with you! It is fun!

I am curious about the round sink with a square opening!
This post answers the round/square sink issue! And a pool update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy31 View Post
I have loved following along w/ all the updates!!

Everything looks gorgeous, & I have to say that I absolutely adore your pantry!

Can't wait for more!
Yes, I LOVE my pantry and can't wait to organize it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhpooh View Post
I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but I LOVE IT!! Your taste is so much like mine, love everything!!!
Not much color yet, but the blinds will be a start! I'm not into fancy, expensive furnishings or rooms that look like they say, "don't touch, just look". I do like things to be organized and coordinated, to a point. I've always wanted our homes to be clean and comfortable and homey!

We're getting close to the end! There are some bathroom fixtures to be installed and paint touch-ups inside and outside.

The powder room sink has been fixed. The granite with the cut-out for a square sink was removed. The round sink was installed and a new piece of granite was put in. Yay!

The front courtyard gate has been installed. The front door and trim, and the columns on either side of the gate still need to be painted.

Now here is a preview of the pool and backyard! We are SO excited and can't wait to get started on this! After weeks of sketching out plans on graph paper, my husband and I finally decided on the pool layout for our backyard. The pool company provided us with a 3D print out of our design. Here it is!

The pool will be 16'x32' with a 6'x10' ledge in the shallow end. The decking will be concrete. We'll have a 5' wrought iron fence between the pool area and the rest of the yard. The perimeter of the yard will be decorative rock. A good sized portion of the yard will be brick pavers, and we'll have a section of synthetic grass. Irrigation lines will run the entire perimeter of the backyard, so we'll be able to plant a variety of plants, shrubs, small trees, etc.

I'll be fun to see the plan come to life! Pool party in a few months!

Last edited by luvflorida; 05-27-2013 at 11:49 AM.
luvflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #122
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Love the design!!!!!

I find the front courtyard gate very intriguing. I was looking at another home design with a front courtyard and I have to say, I like it.

I love the "privacy" "secret garden" effect of the front of the house.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #123
luvflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Love the design!!!!!

I find the front courtyard gate very intriguing. I was looking at another home design with a front courtyard and I have to say, I like it.

I love the "privacy" "secret garden" effect of the front of the house.
The gate was an option, one that I really wanted. The house can also be designed with a tall tower-type of structure at the entrance to the courtyard, but we really didn't care for that.

It does make a nice, little private area in the front of the house. My husband is sort of ambivalent about the courtyard. He likes it, but wonders, "just what does one do out here?"

I'm not sure yet what I'll put in the courtyard, but I can see maybe some benches and big, colorful pots with flowers.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #124
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I'd put a cute little bistro table out there with a couple of chairs.
Some pots with flowers.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #125
luvsmickeymouse
Opt to Adopt!

The pool looks great! I love what you have done with the yard. You are so good about commenting on all of our posts, this has to be the best thread! I see the update with the sink! Glad that all worked out!
Old 05-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #126
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

I mostly lurk, but I just wanted to say that I love seeing the progression pics.

I'm interested to see the artificial grass once it's all done. I've never see anything like that in my life! I'm just a sad midwestern girl.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #127
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Love it!!!!!!

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #128
luvflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
I'd put a cute little bistro table out there with a couple of chairs.
Some pots with flowers.
I've seen some nice concrete, garden benches with colorful mosaic tiles embedded in them, too, that might look nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsmickeymouse View Post
The pool looks great! I love what you have done with the yard. You are so good about commenting on all of our posts, this has to be the best thread! I see the update with the sink! Glad that all worked out!
I love to read other comments, thoughts, ideas, etc., from posters, and I figure if you take the time to reply, then you deserve a response! I know I've said this before, but I love decorating, DIY, home improvement or similar threads, and I'd certainly follow along, too, if anyone did a similar thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan32WI View Post
I mostly lurk, but I just wanted to say that I love seeing the progression pics.

I'm interested to see the artificial grass once it's all done. I've never see anything like that in my life! I'm just a sad midwestern girl.
Thanks! I know what you mean about the artificial grass. We are New Englanders and artificial turf is unheard of back there! We quickly learned that here in Arizona, it's a whole industry. I'd say there is far more fake grass in yards than real grass. Real grass is difficult to maintain out here, and Southern Arizona doesn't really have the water to waste.

Here is a picture of the backyard in the house we built in Tucson. We put in a fairly large amount of synthetic grass. We loved it! It was totally maintenance-free, and the grandkids could run and play on it without getting hurt, and without worrying about bugs, dirt, mud, grass stains, etc. No mowing, raking, fertilizing and it stays green year round!

The downside is that it isn't cheap, and it would be very expensive to cover an entire yard in artificial grass. It also gets hot to the touch in the relentless summer sun, but shade and a quick sprinkling with a garden hose cools it down quickly. For our new house, we're putting in a smaller section, just enough for the grandkids to play on. We have a huge park with real grass right on the other side of our wall. I also like the idea of some "green" in the backyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post
Love it!!!!!!
Thanks! We're almost finished!

Last edited by luvflorida; 05-27-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #129
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvflorida View Post
left side of pantry. Look at all those shelves!

right side of pantry

OMG!!!! I have pantry envy right now!! I would be in heaven with a pantry that size.

Quote:

Stone on front of house and shutters installed

And, we have closing date for the third week of June!
Love the stucco and stone combo. LOVE the colors of the stone. And woohoo is right for a closing date right around the corner. Gives you just enough time to get your stuff moved in and get ready for the July 4th cookout at your new place!
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:01 AM   #130
luvflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0610 View Post
OMG!!!! I have pantry envy right now!! I would be in heaven with a pantry that size.

The pantry even has two windows on one wall above the top shelves. Seems like an odd place for windows. I like them, though.

Love the stucco and stone combo. LOVE the colors of the stone. And woohoo is right for a closing date right around the corner. Gives you just enough time to get your stuff moved in and get ready for the July 4th cookout at your new place!
Not sure how I managed to get the first part of my reply in the middle of your quote!
I think I mentioned it before, but when my husband and I were choosing stucco and stone colors, we thought the colors we chose had touches of green in them. I liked the idea of getting a bit away from shades of brown. The first time we saw the house after it had been painted, I was sure they had used the wrong color paint. It just looked too brown. I had to go back and look at the name of our color choices and compare it to the name of the color they used. They got it right. I think it had been so long since I saw the sample of the color we chose, and I was so excited about "green", that I kept imagining it being a lot more green than brown.

My husband swears he can see hints of green in the stucco paint, and other people have said the same thing, but I can't really see it. I'm okay, though, with the way it looks. The stone color is "wild grass", and I love it!

Just a few small things to update.

Corbels were added to our kitchen island.

I've neglected to add pics of the water softening/reverse osmosis system, mainly because I didn't think they were interesting. But, for anyone interested in seeing such stuff, here it is.

Landscaping in the front of the house has been completed. Here is one of our trees.

This plant was green until a few days ago. It recently bloomed. The landscaping packages that come with the houses are minimal, so we'll be adding to it as time goes on.

Okay, I could use some help here. I'd love to get some ideas, thoughts, etc., on what to do with this little cubby space between the laundry room and front entryway. Here is a view taken from inside the laundry room. If you were walking out of the laundry room, this space is to your left, and there is a coat closet to the right.

This is a view from the other side, looking toward the laundry room. Walking in the front door, this area is to the left. To the right of the entryway is the office/study. If you were walking into the laundry room, the cubby space would be to your right, and the coat closet would be to your left.

What would you use this space for, and what would you put in it? It is 3' wide on the left side and 3' wide in the back. The wall on the right side comes out 2'. The model home has a cabinet built in, similar to a kitchen or laundry cabinet. It was an option, but I didn't like the way it looked. I'm thinking of a bench/storage unit for shoes, boots, etc., and hooks on the wall for coats and hats. Or maybe a coat rack? Or a table with baskets for keys, etc.?

I'd love to get some other ideas and thoughts!

Last edited by luvflorida; 05-31-2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: fixed pic
Old 05-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #131
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Here is the floor plan for our house. We chose this particular model because the floor plan works well for us. I especially like the small courtyard in the front, the laundry room right off the garage and the bedrooms all on the same side of the house.

Quote:
Okay, I could use some help here. I'd love to get some ideas, thoughts, etc., on what to do with this little cubby space between the laundry room and front entryway. Here is a view taken from inside the laundry room. If you were walking out of the laundry room, this space is to your left, and there is a coat closet to the right.

This is a view from the other side, looking toward the laundry room. Walking in the front door, this area is to the left. To the right of the entryway is the office/study. If you were walking into the laundry room, the cubby space would be to your right, and the coat closet would be to your left.

What would you use this space for, and what would you put in it? It is 3' wide on the left side and 3' wide in the back. The wall on the right side comes out 2'. The model home has a cabinet built in, similar to a kitchen or laundry cabinet. It was an option, but I didn't like the way it looked. I'm thinking of a bench/storage unit for shoes, boots, etc., and hooks on the wall for coats and hats. Or maybe a coat rack? Or a table with baskets for keys, etc.?

I'd love to get some other ideas and thoughts!
After looking at the location of the space on the floor plan, I really like the ideas of either putting a small bench there with lower set hooks for the grandkids to use or putting a small table there with baskets for keys and change. Maybe a mirror above it?? If it actually had an outlet in there, I would have leaned more towards the table and stuck our phone charges there, so our phones would be with our keys. But with your grand kids, I think I lean more towards the bench.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #132
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

Knowing me I would have turned that into another closet. Lol. When looking at houses, I always try to figure out where the vacuum, mops and brooms go. A cleaning closet. Lol

ETA: now that I am at a computer instead of ipad, and can actually see the floor plan, yes, I guess hooks & stuff ready to go out door may be better. I see you already have a large closet in laundry that can be cleaning closet.

My only concern is its first thing people see coming in front door & may look messy or get worn looking faster than any other place.

That electrical plug on the other side of right hand wall could be changed to be in the nook side, providing a place to charge phones.

Last edited by beaucoup; 05-31-2013 at 12:28 PM.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #133
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

I agree with a vacuum, mop, broom closet idea. That's what I yanked out shelving to create in my mud room. I needed tall storage. Since you live in Arizona you don't need the bench for boots or hooks for hats and scarves. The broom closet would be my first choice.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #134
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

I'm thinking the table idea with a mirror above. Maybe a good place for keys etc.

I'm betting you do not need a broom closet with that laundry room size (or even that great walk in pantry!

Everything loos so pretty! I love the style of this house. The house we built is a craftsman look and that is what yours reminds me of. It really is a beautiful home. I know you all will enjoy it with your family!

Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #135
Wendy31
DIS Veteran

Do you have a place for the vacuum, mop, broom, etc? If not, I might think about making this a broom closet.

Otherwise...

You're probably entering & exiting the house through the garage via the laundry room, right?

If so, I'd make this space a "drop zone" or "launch zone" - a table for mail, keys, etc. w/ some nice baskets underneath & maybe 1 or 2 shelves above the table. Underneath the lower shelf (& above the table), you could hang a set of hooks.

We wouldn't use/need a bench as much as we would utilize a small table by the area where we most often enter & exit the house.

I have 3 kids, so I'd try to find 3 separate baskets that would fit underneath the table.

You could even design/build a shelving unit - one shelf at table height, 2 shelves below the "table" & 2 shelves above the "table" - the 2 shelves underneath the table would be good for shoes.

However, I think a table w/ nice baskets underneath & some shelves above would probably be prettier.

(DH) (me) (DD, 14years) (DS, 13 years) (DS, 4 years)
Wendy31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: