Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #61
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

How exciting, I so admire your sense of adventure, Luv ! Looking good, like it's moving along quiet well. DH was a builder by trade, so I've always enjoyed watching the houses come together from ground up.

Many homes in our area have finished basements, ours is a split foyer, which was nice when our 4 kids were home. We are usually upstairs, but it's really great to have the xtra space for gatherings or when kids and grands come . Living in the country on a few acres, not sure I could do a neighborhood w/houses so close, but looks like you have a tall privacy fence and I'm sure it's whatever you're used too . When we downsize (and I've planted that seed ), I'm sure we can expect same.

Know you're gonna love and enjoy being so close to your grands . Our sweeties are scattered in 3 states now, but as a military Mom, it is what it is . Thankfully, I've learned there are many ways for us to be close.

It's snowing here, so today is Winter Wonderland in MD...just beautiful! Our local grands are on spring break, so spent the night. Good day for dying eggs, doing crafts, and making Easter candies.

RIP Mom

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.

~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
4nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #62
luvflorida
Free entertainment is everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. C. View Post
I've been following too just like the last time! Thank you for sharing with us.
Thanks for following along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nana View Post
How exciting, I so admire your sense of adventure, Luv ! Looking good, like it's moving along quiet well. DH was a builder by trade, so I've always enjoyed watching the houses come together from ground up.

Many homes in our area have finished basements, ours is a split foyer, which was nice when our 4 kids were home. We are usually upstairs, but it's really great to have the xtra space for gatherings or when kids and grands come . Living in the country on a few acres, not sure I could do a neighborhood w/houses so close, but looks like you have a tall privacy fence and I'm sure it's whatever you're used too . When we downsize (and I've planted that seed ), I'm sure we can expect same.
Thanks, 4nana! We're enjoying watching the building process! Funny how things can be so different according to the region of the country one lives in. Houses and communities in Arizona are so different from where we grew up (New England) and raised our families.

And speaking of basements and regional differences, I just learned a few weeks ago, that our sweet, Arizona-born grandson had no idea what a basement is! I usually put on one his favorite Rick Charette CDs when we're in the car. Rick Charette is a childrens' singer/songwriter from Maine. My kids loved Rick Charette's music and grew up listening to his songs, and now my grandkids are enjoying his songs, too!

Anyway, there is a song on the CD about an alligator that lives in a cellar and runs around down there chasing all the mice and eating polka-dotted underwear. Carter finds the polka-dotted underwear part hilarious, but I digress. So, the other day, Carter asked me if a "cellar" was like a garage. I explained that cellars and basements are under houses. He then had all kinds of questions about why houses have cellars, how people get in them, what do people put in them, etc. Well, we make sure that Carter (and Vanessa) get to Maine every year, because we want them to know and be familiar with that part of the country, but I guess we've never shown them a basement! We'll have to make sure they see one on our next visit!

So.....here are some recent pics of the house. Framing has started!

3-27-13

right side

3-29-13
Back view

entryway

living room window

front view

side view

Last edited by luvflorida; 04-01-2013 at 10:31 PM.
luvflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #63
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Very cool!!! I LOVE the covered patio. I don't have one on this house and I really miss the 3 season deck we had on our 2nd house.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #64
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Looks great!!
Really coming along!

I just had to share with you that I spoke to my DH this a.m. and he told me he had spoken to our long time realtor. He was checking on some property he saw for sale. This is not uncommon but I asked he why anyway. He was curious and she is selling a house near us. It's smaller than ours (but mine's too big at just shy of 3000 square feet.) and he said he told her that if she has anyone looking for a big house, come show them ours! :O
Anyway, I think he was feeling me out about selling and building again, lol. I would love to do it again and build smaller this time around. This one was supposed to be about 2200 and grew...ugh. It is wonderful to have all the space that we do but it is also just too big for 2 people. So, who knows, I may be following in your footsteps! lol

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #65
luvsmickeymouse
Opt to Adopt!

Wow, the house looks great! So does your weather too! I am so tired of being cold.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #66
luvflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Very cool!!! I LOVE the covered patio. I don't have one on this house and I really miss the 3 season deck we had on our 2nd house.
We need all the shade we can get out here! This covered patio won't be enclosed, but it is something we can do at some point if we want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post
Looks great!!
Really coming along!

I just had to share with you that I spoke to my DH this a.m. and he told me he had spoken to our long time realtor. He was checking on some property he saw for sale. This is not uncommon but I asked he why anyway. He was curious and she is selling a house near us. It's smaller than ours (but mine's too big at just shy of 3000 square feet.) and he said he told her that if she has anyone looking for a big house, come show them ours! :O
Anyway, I think he was feeling me out about selling and building again, lol. I would love to do it again and build smaller this time around. This one was supposed to be about 2200 and grew...ugh. It is wonderful to have all the space that we do but it is also just too big for 2 people. So, who knows, I may be following in your footsteps! lol
I hear ya on the big house. Our house in Tucson was about 2500 square feet and this one will be around 2400 square feet. Not much difference in size. I would have gone with a smaller house, but my husband didn't want to downsize too much. And, he does have a point. Although it'll just be the two of us living there, we do have a lot of company and I'm sure all the rooms will be used quite a bit. When you have family and friends living in the frigid Northeast, they are more than eager to spend time in sunny Arizona!

Sounds like you may have some decisions to make in the very near future! Good luck on whatever you and your husband decide to do! Maybe there'll be another house building thread on the DIS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsmickeymouse View Post
Wow, the house looks great! So does your weather too! I am so tired of being cold.
I can't say enough nice things about our weather!! We've been in Arizona for four and a half years and I STILL can't get over the abundance of sunshine. We love, love, love the sunshine, warm temps and extremely low humidity. Yes, the summers can be VERY hot, but I'll take that over the winters back home.

Temps this week are in the high80s/low 90s. If I could send you some of our sunshine and warm temps, I would! Hang in there! Summer is coming!

Last edited by luvflorida; 04-01-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #67
luvflorida

4-04-13 Most of the framing is done, the roof is closed in, and we have windows!

This is a view from the front right-hand side of the house.

Back view. Along with all the windows being installed today, they also installed the patio doors. Unfortunately, they installed the wrong type. Originally we were told that French doors were not an option for this particular house model, but we really wanted them. After a lot of back and forth between our sales rep and the builder, we were told that, yes, we could have French doors.

When we saw the sliders this evening, my husband called our sales rep, and the sales rep called the construction supervisor. Evidently, the supervisor saw the doors after they were installed today and he said they will be removed and replaced with French doors.

Looking toward the great room, dining room area.

I love the large, walk-in pantry.

The pantry has two high windows in one of the walls.

Front view

The house is coming along right on schedule. When we got there this evening, there were construction workers loading rolls of roofing paper (or whatever it's called) onto the roof by way of a conveyor belt.

We're also thinking a lot about the backyard, and can't wait to see it come together. Last weekend, my husband and I spent several hours at a local pool company and...we are definitely putting in an inground pool! We still need to settle on the shape (free form vs. geometric), but we pretty much decided on the size, interior finish, and a built-in cleaning system.

I don't want to rush time, but we are very excited to get this house built and to move in. Closing is scheduled for the end of June, beginning of July, and our third grandchild is expected to arrive around the same time. A lot to look forward to this summer!

Last edited by luvflorida; 04-05-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #68
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

I can smell the new wood and looks like things are moving along quickly! Sorry they messed up on your door after all the hype, but it will come through. A back yard pool would be heaven on hot day!

Sounds like a busy summer for you! Congrats on your new upcoming blessing !!! Know you can't wait for everything to fall into place and breath a sigh of relief!

RIP Mom

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.

~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
4nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #69
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

So exciting and looks great!

Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #70
luvflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nana View Post
I can smell the new wood and looks like things are moving along quickly! Sorry they messed up on your door after all the hype, but it will come through. A back yard pool would be heaven on hot day!

Sounds like a busy summer for you! Congrats on your new upcoming blessing !!! Know you can't wait for everything to fall into place and breath a sigh of relief!
Thank you! Yes, it'll be nice when all is done and we can relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post
So exciting and looks great!
Thanks!

4-05-13- We took the grandkids up yesterday so they could see the progress on the house. Carter loves going up and looking around, but Vanessa usually just wants to head for the playground. She's not quite as interested in the building process!

And yesterday, this visiting lizard was MUCH more interesting than some house being built.

He still has his eye on the lizard, and she's in a rush to get to that playground!

The interior pipes for plumbing were installed yesterday, and our roofing tiles were delivered.

I'm guessing next week will be electrical and HVAC.

Last edited by luvflorida; 04-06-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: resized pics
Old 04-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #71
lovemygoofy
Man I shot myself in the foot
I got new moves and everything ready for some serious tips
No, in case you ever wondered, golf carts can't float
Loved by many!

I'm loving your thread! I'm following along just so I can live through someone else. I can't wait for the day we are done with the army and can build our forever house. I can't wait to see what you pick out and I want to live in the pantry!

Do you use Pinterest at all? There are some great ideas and pictures for organizing the pantry. Can you tell I love a good pantry? I miss the one in our old house.

Anyways here is a weirdo DIS thing. We were in Tucson last weekend,for the long weekend, and I thought of you building your house. It's weird what sticks in our minds. The weather should hold out that's for sure. Good luck finishing up the house!

Love doesn't make the world go around, it makes the ride worthwhile...
lovemygoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #72
luvflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygoofy View Post
I'm loving your thread! I'm following along just so I can live through someone else. I can't wait for the day we are done with the army and can build our forever house. I can't wait to see what you pick out and I want to live in the pantry!

Do you use Pinterest at all? There are some great ideas and pictures for organizing the pantry. Can you tell I love a good pantry? I miss the one in our old house.

Anyways here is a weirdo DIS thing. We were in Tucson last weekend,for the long weekend, and I thought of you building your house. It's weird what sticks in our minds. The weather should hold out that's for sure. Good luck finishing up the house!
Thanks so much! I'm glad you are enjoying this thread! I know if anyone else posted a similar thread, I'd be all over it! I love "seeing" and reading about other people's experiences!

Yes, my older daughter introduced me to Pinterest. I haven't been on there lately, but I will check it out again. Thanks! I love the pantry, too!

Hope you enjoyed Tucson. You hit it at just the right time of year, weather-wise. Gorgeous sunshine and warm temps!
Old 04-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #73
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Oh that huge pantry. Drooling! I have a decent sized one but just put shelves in the mudroom closet for more space!

So exciting. And i missed the 3rd grandchild announcement. Is it another addition to the adorable two in the photos? A new sibling for them? Or a different child.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #74
luvflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Oh that huge pantry. Drooling! I have a decent sized one but just put shelves in the mudroom closet for more space!

So exciting. And i missed the 3rd grandchild announcement. Is it another addition to the adorable two in the photos? A new sibling for them? Or a different child.
The pantry looks really big to me now, but it'll probably seem small once all the shelves are put in. I'll have to measure it next time we're at the house.

Yes, a new sibling for Carter and Vanessa...a baby brother! Our second grandson is due to arrive around the end of June, and we're very excited!

Our older son is in his 30's and a bachelor, so I don't see any grandkids from him in the near future, and our younger daughter is very involved in her dance career. They both love their nephew and niece to pieces, and see them frequently, but they're happy just being an uncle and aunt! For now, anyway!

Last edited by luvflorida; 04-07-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #75
luvsmickeymouse
Opt to Adopt!

Congratulations on the new grandson!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: