Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #46
luvflorida
Free entertainment is everywhere

cont. from post 44- My husband and I got back earlier today from a trip to Los Angeles to visit with our younger daughter. We had a great time! On our way out last Wednesday, we drove by our lot to see if anything had been started and it has!

3-13-13- Digging has begun! Yay!

Looking toward the backyard.

3-15-13- Pipes are connected.

Last edited by luvflorida; 03-18-2013 at 12:05 AM.
luvflorida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #47
cm8
Half of the time we're rushing around to get things done last minute or we realize we're running behind so we need to catch up

^^^^

"I have placed the Lord ever before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8

cm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #48
nhpooh
I just can't stop visiting this board
We are getting hotter and more humid each year
By the time I come back I will be lost again

Yay!
75-offsite-DL/ w/family 79-offsite -Honeymoon 85-offsite 89-offsite 94-offsite 96-WL 98-CSR 2000-CBR/Disney W. 2002-DL/Paradise Pier 2004-WL/25th annv. 2005-Portofino Bay/POFQ 2007-ASMu/Family suites, 2008-POFQ/first MVMCP, 2009-DL/Grand Californian, 5/2011-ASSp/girls weekend, 9/2011- Beach Club/with DH, 8/2013 -CBR/with DH and DD
nhpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #49
luvflorida

3-19-13- The construction crew has been busy the past few days!

Boards and tension cables. We can now see the exact dimensions and placement of the house in relationship to the lot. It really brings it to life, so much more than looking at a plot plan! This is a view from the front.

View from the back

Backyard patio

Garage area

This house plan has a small courtyard area in the front of the house.

Next step will be the pouring of the foundation, hopefully later this week, then framing will begin. In another update, after much back and forth, we learned that the builder CAN install French doors instead of patio sliders! We're definitely going with the French doors!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #50
nhpooh
I just can't stop visiting this board
We are getting hotter and more humid each year
By the time I come back I will be lost again

Coming along nice! I would go with the French doors too!
75-offsite-DL/ w/family 79-offsite -Honeymoon 85-offsite 89-offsite 94-offsite 96-WL 98-CSR 2000-CBR/Disney W. 2002-DL/Paradise Pier 2004-WL/25th annv. 2005-Portofino Bay/POFQ 2007-ASMu/Family suites, 2008-POFQ/first MVMCP, 2009-DL/Grand Californian, 5/2011-ASSp/girls weekend, 9/2011- Beach Club/with DH, 8/2013 -CBR/with DH and DD
nhpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #51
luvflorida

3-21-13- We have a foundation!

Front view

Back view. Looks a lot bigger than our other house, because this one is a single story.

We went with a larger covered patio this time around.

Garage

Front view

Framing should start going up the beginning of next week.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #52
luvsmickeymouse
Opt to Adopt!

I am on board, just checking in to see the pics. This is fun! Looks nice, and yes it does seem bigger than the other house.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #53
piglet50
DIS Veteran

I'm jealous! How exciting to see your new home from the ground up. I remember your last thread, and enjoyed seeing the progress. Good luck.
piglet50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #54
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

Love seeing the progress from the very beginning!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #55
nanajoyx2
Enjoy those wonderful princes...they are a blessing!

I looked up your previous thread with the update you posted one year later. I had followed the original, but never saw the update. You are brave to go through this big project again. DH and I did this 6 years ago, moving to be closer to our daughter, son and their families, but we only had to move a few towns from our original home. We also built a one level home. That was a challenge around here because most developments consist of Colonials or Cape Cods, unless it is an over 55 community. We are in our 60's, but we wanted a regular neighborhood. I searched on line for one level homes and brought the design to our builder. We met with his architect to make some changes and it was a go. Good luck with this new house. I love that you are making different choices and learned what you want and don't want from the last build. I would make a few changes in my home if I were doing it again, but it's not a big deal. We plan on living here forever, but the changes I would have made would have been for resale value. Our kids will benefit from that, so it won't have any effect on our bottom line. Oh, and we didn't downsize. This home is larger than our previous one. But we love the space - lots of room for our 7 grandchildren.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #56
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

It's coming along nicely!

I've been BOO'ed by GoofyinToronto!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #57
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

How can you not run up and carve your family name in that wet cement! I'd have to be held back. (Or is it drier than it looks?)
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #58
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Curious. Why did you go with a slab, rathern than a foundation?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #59
luvflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsmickeymouse View Post
I am on board, just checking in to see the pics. This is fun! Looks nice, and yes it does seem bigger than the other house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet50 View Post
I'm jealous! How exciting to see your new home from the ground up. I remember your last thread, and enjoyed seeing the progress. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan32WI View Post
Love seeing the progress from the very beginning!
Thanks! Even though we're more familiar with the building process the second time around, we're finding it just as exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanajoyx2 View Post
I looked up your previous thread with the update you posted one year later. I had followed the original, but never saw the update. You are brave to go through this big project again. DH and I did this 6 years ago, moving to be closer to our daughter, son and their families, but we only had to move a few towns from our original home. We also built a one level home. That was a challenge around here because most developments consist of Colonials or Cape Cods, unless it is an over 55 community. We are in our 60's, but we wanted a regular neighborhood. I searched on line for one level homes and brought the design to our builder. We met with his architect to make some changes and it was a go. Good luck with this new house. I love that you are making different choices and learned what you want and don't want from the last build. I would make a few changes in my home if I were doing it again, but it's not a big deal. We plan on living here forever, but the changes I would have made would have been for resale value. Our kids will benefit from that, so it won't have any effect on our bottom line. Oh, and we didn't downsize. This home is larger than our previous one. But we love the space - lots of room for our 7 grandchildren.
We were not interested in an over-55 community, either. We definitely knew we wanted a single story home this time around, and we ended up not downsizing. We'll have plenty of room for the grandkids and visiting family and friends wanting to escape New England in the wintertime.

Enjoy those seven grandkids of yours! We are staying about ten minutes away from our daughter, son-in-law and two grandkids while our house is being build, and my husband and I are having so much fun with them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletgirl View Post
It's coming along nicely!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbag Lady View Post
How can you not run up and carve your family name in that wet cement! I'd have to be held back. (Or is it drier than it looks?)
You are as bad as my husband! The first thing he said when we walked up to the foundation was, "Hey, we should carve our names in the cement!" I said I didn't think we should do that. He then wanted to do our initials, but I talked him out of that, too. I was afraid if we did anything to the cement, we'd be banned from the property until the house is finished! I don't think the cement was wet enough, anyway. It looked drier than in the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Curious. Why did you go with a slab, rathern than a foundation?
Not sure what you mean. It is a slab foundation. Do you mean a slab as opposed to a crawl space or basement? Most houses in Arizona are built on slabs, and most newer houses are built on post-tension (high strength steel cables) slabs. I'd say 98% of the houses in Arizona don't have crawl spaces or basements, although I do think there is a slow trend toward more houses being built with basements. There are a few builders out here that do build basements, but they are in the minority.

And the funny thing is, the basements in the newer homes are not what most people think of when they think of baements. They're usually fully finished, with bathrooms, carpeting, finished walls and ceilings, just like the rest of the house. Even the window wells are dug deep and look like the rest of the windows in the house.

Adding a basement to a house out here can add $80,000-$100,000. to the price of the house. Another factor could be that, there is no reason to dig very far down when building a house in Arizona. There is no frost line to worry about. I know in cold weather climates, builders have to dig four feet or so below the frost line, so it doesn't cost that much more to dig further for a basement.

In New England, most houses have oil furnaces in their basements, along with baseboard heat. That's not the case in Arizona. HVAC systems are installed in the ceilings and air conditioning units are located outside.

There may be more reasons for the differences in building styles, but I think mostly it's due to regional differences. We're used to the way houses are built in New England, and at first, we were a little concerned when we saw that pipes are installed under the foundation out here. But then we figured they've been building houses in Arizona for years that way, so they must know what they're doing. Hope so, anyway!

Update- This was left on the lot over the weekend. Okay, let's get those walls up!

Last edited by luvflorida; 03-24-2013 at 08:49 PM.
luvflorida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #60
S. C.
Loves to snorkel
Swam with the dolphins
Got soaked on BTMRR
Another tag

I've been following too just like the last time! Thank you for sharing with us.
..................If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

There's a great big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!

I've been BOO'ED!!!

S. C. is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: