Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #16
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to say have fun building!!!

As far as window treatments I LOATHE blinds because they collect dust and dog hair....bleech.

I prefer shades and curtains. Not only can you block out light 100% but you can OPEN the shades and then you can have a 100% view.

I hate sliders with a passion. As far as window treatments, I would do sun blocking drapes if this is going to be a slider in constant use. Verticals will end up on the ground.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #17
Aimeedyan
Why get all excited about something as silly as a fake celebrity? Or getting a tag?
Jello is not meant to be chunky

I'm totally with you on the no-tub in the master. We had a big garden tub in our last house (which we also built) and over a 7 year span, used it TWICE. Just collected dust and dog hair. We bought this house partially because it didn't have a tub in the master - just a large shower! SO NICE.

We have sliding doors in our new house and we opted to not cover them with anything. But... we have a large lot with lots of trees so nobody can see in. I have to say it's been awesome to not have to find a solution for the doors!

Our house is older with pretty molding around the windows so I'm opting against any treatments on several of the windows. At least right now.

Good luck!
1982 & 1990 ~ trips as a child ~1997 ~ Caribbean Beach ~ 2002 ~ Vacation Home ~ 2003 ~ Stayed with Family ~ 2004 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~2006 ~ Pop Century & Disney's Vero Beach ~ 2007 ~ Wilderness Lodge & Yacht Club ~ 2008 ~ Carnival Cruise & All Star Music ~ 2009 ~ All Star Sports & Downtown Hotel ~ 2009 ~ All Star Music, Comfort Inn & Boardwalk Villas
Aimeedyan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #18
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7165red View Post
OP, I suggest installing a tub in you master bath, I agree it could be a deal breaker for a buyer. I love jet tubs. trip, did you have Pella blinds on you sliding doors? I had them in my last house and I felt they still needed window treatment. Joyiroxx, I am not familiar with panels, where can I see a picture of them. OP, good luck!
I have to agree with this (although I freely give you permission to do what you think is best for you! ).

We looked at a house that a retired couple had built. They lived in it a year and a half, and the gentleman died very unexpectedly. After a little while, the widow decided to move. The house was very, very nice (lots of pluses that I loved). When they built it, they put a large, beautiful shower in the master BR because they knew they never used a tub. We never use one either, but I was concerned about resale "just in case" I ever needed to sell. The realtor said that was a big part of why it hadn't sold yet. Everybody said that same thing. That was two years ago, and it still hasn't sold.

I do agree with you wholeheartedly about a one story vs. a two story. My daughter and her husband are in the beginning stages of discussion regarding building a new house, and she's leaning toward a 2 story house. It is highly unlikely that this house will ever be sold, and they will probably be in it until they are old and gray (his family owns several hundred acres, and it will be built on his part of the family property). I've been encouraging her to go with a one story, but she thinks they would like a two story.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:02 AM   #19
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseshowmom View Post
I do agree with you wholeheartedly about a one story vs. a two story. My daughter and her husband are in the beginning stages of discussion regarding building a new house, and she's leaning toward a 2 story house. It is highly unlikely that this house will ever be sold, and they will probably be in it until they are old and gray (his family owns several hundred acres, and it will be built on his part of the family property). I've been encouraging her to go with a one story, but she thinks they would like a two story.
I am telling you. We are in a story and a half and while I LOVE the house, I really do, it is not our "retirement" home.

The stairs are long and steep and in no way do I want to be in this house when I am in my 60's.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #20
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on building a new house!

We, too, built this one after normally buying new, but already built (have been transferred a few times).

OP, one thing for sure - *don't* leave out the garden tub in the master bath. We have a Jacuzzi tub and have *never* used it in 11 years - crazy I know We are just shower people. But it needs to be there for resale.

Also, I would put the french doors with blinds between - had the regular, and the vertical blinds were the only fair *fix* and didn't like them.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #21
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post
Funny about the tub. I LOVE my tub and use it all the time. Not having one in the master would be a deal breaker for me.

Same here. No way would I buy a house without a tub in the master. I know you're not planning on moving, but that really cuts down resale value.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #22
luvsmickeymouse
Opt to Adopt!

I don't really have any suggestions but I want to come along for the ride with this new house like I did with the last one. Seeing pics from start to finish! *The grandchildren are getting so big, I remember them from way back too!*
Old 02-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #23
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

All good things to think about! Thanks so much! I think the tile for the shower would be the same tile that is used for the floor. The sides would be 18"x18" square tile and the floor of the shower would be smaller pieces. Does that sound right?[/QUOTE]

It sounds fine, are you going with a natural stone, or a stone looking porcelain? We've got a porcelain tile that looks like limestone, we've been in the house for 7 years and it still looks fantastic. Honestly, there isn't a "right" or "wrong", it's all about what you like. But, since you're forgoing the tub, make sure your shower looks fantastic!

Since I just realized you're in Arizona, you might want to look at blackout shades for some of your windows. We got them through the builder (now, I got an awesome employee discount, so you may be able to get them much cheaper somewhere else) and put them in all of the bedrooms, as well as the family room where the TV is. I'd certainly think about south facing windows at least from an energy conservation standpoint!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #24
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

I understand what you are saying about the shower and it may not pose a problem with resale if a lot of people retire to that area because I would think as we age it would be easier (less risky) to just shower and not risk a fall.

We have the separate tub and shower and we use our jetted, bubble tub all the time. Of course, we both run and so it is wonderful to soak in a tub after a run. DH uses it more than I do but I would ours gets used several times a week.

I'm excited for you and hope you share the process. It was fun to watch last time. I wish I had done that as we built ours. I did do pictures of each stage, just did not post them here. I posted them to FB!

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #25
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure if this is the best photo, but it's hopefully decent enough that you get the idea.

I hate vertical blinds. Hate them. So we got these curtains at Pottery Barn. I have them on a traverse rod (that just pushes and pulls across, not with a rod.) The hardest part for me was to find one panel that fit the entire window.

ETA: And we did the same thing in the bedroom

onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #26
luvflorida
Free entertainment is everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
We get plenty of light from our shutters. The wider the slats/louvers the more light you will be able to let in when you tilt them. Also I have them so you can have the top and bottom sections tilted different degrees.
Well, I guess I'll have to look again at what is out there for shutters! I know the ones we had didn't have separate moving sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Just wanted to say have fun building!!!

As far as window treatments I LOATHE blinds because they collect dust and dog hair....bleech.
Thanks, Mystery Machine! I hate blinds, too, and will not have them again in any house. I hated cleaning them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimeedyan View Post
Our house is older with pretty molding around the windows so I'm opting against any treatments on several of the windows. At least right now.
Good luck!
I'd love to have pretty molding around the windows and doors, but most houses in the southwest have very plain, rounded edges around windows. No moulding at all. Definitely need something, even if it's just at the top.

I'm totally lost as to what will look good on the sliders. I think we're going to check back with the builder again and see if there is any way we can have french doors instead of sliders. I really love the look of french doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseshowmom View Post
We looked at a house that a retired couple had built. They lived in it a year and a half, and the gentleman died very unexpectedly. After a little while, the widow decided to move. The house was very, very nice (lots of pluses that I loved). When they built it, they put a large, beautiful shower in the master BR because they knew they never used a tub. We never use one either, but I was concerned about resale "just in case" I ever needed to sell. The realtor said that was a big part of why it hadn't sold yet. Everybody said that same thing. That was two years ago, and it still hasn't sold.

I do agree with you wholeheartedly about a one story vs. a two story.
That's crazy about the house that won't sell!

Yes, as much as we like the look of a two story house, we were both in total agreement about this next house being one story. We are in our mid-to-late fifties, and not getting any younger! Even though we still have the ability to run up and down the stairs, it won't always be the case. I don't like vacuuming stairs, either. Add the fact that we have very young grandkids (and another on the way!) that are at our house a lot, stairs become a safety issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Congratulations on building a new house!

OP, one thing for sure - *don't* leave out the garden tub in the master bath. We have a Jacuzzi tub and have *never* used it in 11 years - crazy I know We are just shower people. But it needs to be there for resale.
Thanks! Ahhhh...I guess we need to think more on the pros and cons of the tub, no-tub issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
Same here. No way would I buy a house without a tub in the master. I know you're not planning on moving, but that really cuts down resale value.
Another vote for the tub, I see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsmickeymouse View Post
I don't really have any suggestions but I want to come along for the ride with this new house like I did with the last one. Seeing pics from start to finish! *The grandchildren are getting so big, I remember them from way back too!*
Thanks! Carter starts Kindergarten this year!?!?!? How can he possibly be old enough for school?!?!???!

Well, looks like another building thread! Should be fun! The new house is going to be quite a bit different in layout and design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDisneyFreaks View Post
It sounds fine, are you going with a natural stone, or a stone looking porcelain? We've got a porcelain tile that looks like limestone, we've been in the house for 7 years and it still looks fantastic. Honestly, there isn't a "right" or "wrong", it's all about what you like. But, since you're forgoing the tub, make sure your shower looks fantastic!

Since I just realized you're in Arizona, you might want to look at blackout shades for some of your windows. We got them through the builder (now, I got an awesome employee discount, so you may be able to get them much cheaper somewhere else) and put them in all of the bedrooms, as well as the family room where the TV is. I'd certainly think about south facing windows at least from an energy conservation standpoint!
I'm pretty sure we're going to stick with the Levolor cellular blinds for most of the windows, just not the continuous loop ones. We have room darkening Levolor blinds in the bedrooms now. I love them and will definitely put them in the bedrooms again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post
I understand what you are saying about the shower and it may not pose a problem with resale if a lot of people retire to that area because I would think as we age it would be easier (less risky) to just shower and not risk a fall.

We have the separate tub and shower and we use our jetted, bubble tub all the time. Of course, we both run and so it is wonderful to soak in a tub after a run. DH uses it more than I do but I would ours gets used several times a week.

I'm excited for you and hope you share the process. It was fun to watch last time. I wish I had done that as we built ours. I did do pictures of each stage, just did not post them here. I posted them to FB!
We really do like the look of the walk-in shower. We had a jetted tub in our house in Maine, and I used it once in awhile. The person who used it the most was our younger daughter. She loved soaking in it after dance classes, competitions, etc.

I also documented the whole building process on facebook so that our family back East could follow along. They enjoyed seeing the process, and adding their thoughts and opinions!

Last edited by luvflorida; 02-03-2013 at 12:48 PM.
luvflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #27
Plannin'Shannon
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

I'm coming along for the ride, too! To echo a pp, I'm here to live vicariously through you. We live in Florida and while I absolutely love it here, Arizona is my favorite state! We visit once a year and always dread the last day of the trip. I can't wait to hear more about the area in which you're building. Be sure to post new pictures of your beautiful grandchildren now and then, too!

As an aside, my DH is from Belfast, ME. Always nice to "meet" another Mainer!
There is a place where Magic lives.
Plannin'Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #28
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Have you all considered geothermal? VERY appropriate in the desert and increases the value of the home tremendously. Plus you get a huge tax break as well.

Hoping for Dec. 2015!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #29
luvflorida
Free entertainment is everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plannin'Shannon View Post
I'm coming along for the ride, too! To echo a pp, I'm here to live vicariously through you. We live in Florida and while I absolutely love it here, Arizona is my favorite state! We visit once a year and always dread the last day of the trip. I can't wait to hear more about the area in which you're building. Be sure to post new pictures of your beautiful grandchildren now and then, too!

As an aside, my DH is from Belfast, ME. Always nice to "meet" another Mainer!
Hello to your husband, a fellow Mainah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletgirl View Post
Have you all considered geothermal? VERY appropriate in the desert and increases the value of the home tremendously. Plus you get a huge tax break as well.
Thank you for this info! We'll definitely look into it.

Not much to update, but we did go with the walk-in shower and no tub in the master bathroom. It added a few thousand to the price of the house, but it's what we want. Looks like we're going with sliders and not french doors. We've been back and forth on this issue with our sales rep, and don't want it to hold us up any longer. We figure if we find that we really hate the sliders after awhile, we'll look into having something else installed.

This is crunch week! The closing on our house in Tucson is scheduled for the beginning of next week, so we are really busy with sorting and packing and doing everything necessary to move this weekend. I didn't think I'd get emotional about leaving this house, but I am! I am going to miss the house, the community, the absolutely beautiful mountains and stunning sunrises and sunsets behind our house and the open desert with all the various critters.

Our sales rep (she has become a good friend over the months we've lived here) showed up at our door yesterday with a beautiful candy bouquet, and it really set in that we're moving. It'll be sad to say good-bye to this house, I think more so since we saw it take shape from choosing just the right lot to the finishing touches. But, it's time to look forward to a new adventure...building another house and making it our own, and being able to see our own kids more often, as well as those sweet grandkids of ours!

We'll be heading up this weekend to see if they've done anything to our new lot, yet. I'll be sure to post pics!

Last edited by luvflorida; 02-20-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: spelling
luvflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #30
kimmar067
Kimmie Moo Boo Boo
I’m SERIOUS..milk just fell from my --- udder

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvflorida View Post
A few things we learned the first time around, and a few questions!

We had a house built in 2011 and we have just sold that house. And quickly, too! Went on the market on a Thursday, prospective buyers looked at it the following evening, and it went under contract that weekend. Crazy! We have purchased a house lot in another area, but they haven't broken ground yet on the new house, so we will be in limbo for a few months. We didn't expect our house to sell that fast!

So...back to the drawing board. We've always purchased existing homes, so 2011 was the first time we actually started with an empty lot and built from the ground up. At least now we feel like old pros! For the house we just sold, we spent over six hours and two days at the home gallery choosing options. For our new house, we went last week and were done in four hours!

Here are a few things we learned the first time around, and things we'll do differently. The new house is going to be a single story, as opposed to our two story house. We didn't downgrade in size much, though. It will be around 2300 square feet as opposed to 2500. The kitchen island will be counter height and not tall, like the one we have now. Exactly what I want! We also went with the gourmet kitchen (double ovens, french door refrigerator, built in gas stove.)

We learned we didn't need an outside fan on the patio. It didn't really add much of a breeze, so we hardly ever used it. We never once used the separate garden-style tub in the master bathroom, so this time we're installing a large, tiled walk-in shower and no tub in the master bathroom. We will have the water softener/conditioner system installed when the house is being built, instead of adding it later. I quickly learned that I hated my new Levelor blinds with the continuous loop, and will not be installing those again! We're not doing the full granite backsplash this time, and will instead do tile or something else after the house is built.

Now, a few questions: I love the french doors (patio doors) we had installed in this house, but they weren't an option in the new house. We will have regular sliding doors that lead to the patio. If you have sliding doors in your house, what kind of window treatments do you have covering them? I know there are a lot of options (curtains, blinds, panels, etc.) and ways to cover the doors. What do you like or not like about your door coverings?

Also looking at other window treatments. I'm not a fan of curtains, though. What do you like or dislike about your window treatments?

Thanks so much for any help or ideas! Oh, and yes, we are going with an inground pool this time! Just too hot around this part of the country not to! Safety will be the biggest concern (with young grandkids running around) so we will be researching fencing, alarms and anything else we can think of to keep everyone safe. If anyone has any particular safety fencing/alarms that they like, I'd love to hear about them!

Thanks so much for any suggestions!
....well you be staying in Az?
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: