Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
Dimples1973ca
Mouseketeer

In serious need of advice/guidance.

We are in the midst of planning a huge celebration vacation and I would love to spend a night at an on site universal hotel and take advantage of the perks included. What I can't seem to figure out is..... When I purchase a hotel night, the fotl stuff is included but I still have to buy the actual park tickets. I am so confused and the universal Orlando site is not the most user friendly.

I guess what I need is to figure out the cost of one night on site with tickets. HELP

Thanks,
Lori

Dimples1973ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Park admission is NOT included with the hotel rates on the website. Park tickets are purchased separately...unless you're booking a package of course.

Onsite guests receive unlimited Express access and early admission to HP.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

The hotels at Universal are not run by Universal. That is why things are kept separate. Purchase your tickets at www.universalorlando.com or at www.undercovertourist.com and book your hotel at http://www.loewshotels.com/en/bookin...BH,UEHRH,UERPR

It really is no different than purchasing a hotel only reservation at www.disneyworld.disney.go.com and then purchasing tickets at www.undercovertourist.com

Staying onsite for one night at Universal hotel will get you two days of early admission and two days of unlimited express.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Dimples1973ca
Mouseketeer

Ahhhh. Ok now that makes some sense. So essentially, I can get my Universal studios tickets pretty much any where and still get to use the room key to receive the front of the line stuff.

Dimples1973ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimples1973ca View Post
Ahhhh. Ok now that makes some sense. So essentially, I can get my Universal studios tickets pretty much any where and still get to use the room key to receive the front of the line stuff.
Yup. The perks at the hotels have nothing to do with the park tickets. Anyone who stays at the hotels get the perks.

When you check in you will be given a room key for everyone. You take this room key to a special kiosk in the hotel and it will take your picture and put it on your express access card. You show that card at every ride that accepts it.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimples1973ca View Post
The hotel Express pass is longer attached to your room key. There is a separate pass that is issued with your picture on it. You will get that at the hotel.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
cbonewjersey
Mouseketeer

It's not worth it unless you want to stay there period. We are going to be 6 people. I tried - that has to be 2 rooms. Cheapest rate for 1 night came out to just under $600 for the two rooms. Divided by 6/day, is just under $50. that's the cost of the Express passes for the 2 days we want to go. I am staying on DVC at Disney for the week. So it's a wash. no savings. Last year, in August, crowds were light, but the passes absolutely helped. Spiderman alone, it saved us almost an hour. The question I have is that you can buy the EPs in the park after you get in - and I wonder if the price that day is less or more than if you pre-reserve them. Anyone????
cbonewjersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbonewjersey View Post
The question I have is that you can buy the EPs in the park after you get in - and I wonder if the price that day is less or more than if you pre-reserve them. Anyone????
Well...prices can change at any time but the EP prices are based on the anticipated crowds for that day. The higher the crowd, the more expensive the EP is. I wouldn't advise buying them ahead of time though. They are park/date specific and non-refundable. Wait until you arrive and see what the lines are like before spending the money.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
cbonewjersey
Mouseketeer

Thank you. I think you're right. we are going late August and they want $49 per day. That's $19 more than same time last year.
cbonewjersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
heidi8
Mouseketeer

The Hotel Guest Express Pass gets you onto each EP ride an unlimited number of times, though, whereas the regular one that you can buy gets you onto everything once. For us, since my kids are thrilled to go on Storm and Hippogryff and Woody Woodpecker 10+ times each and have no interest in, say, Hulk, the hotel stay is a bigger benefit for us, especially at AAA or FLO or APH rates.

Yes, I did go on the Teacups 30 times in a row on my 30th birthday!
heidi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
funkbucket007
Incinerate

Thread was making me nervous. I booked a "package" and 2-day base tickets with a 3rd day for free, City Walk passes, early admission to IOA and Unlimited Express Pass were included. I was about to be livid if the price I paid was only for a room at Royal Pacific.
"We have created characters and animated them in the dimension of depth, revealing through them to our perturbed world that the things we have in common far outnumber and outweigh those that divide us." - Walt Disney

Me DW DS/11 DS/7

funkbucket007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkbucket007 View Post
Thread was making me nervous. I booked a "package" and 2-day base tickets with a 3rd day for free, City Walk passes, early admission to IOA and Unlimited Express Pass were included. I was about to be livid if the price I paid was only for a room at Royal Pacific.
They make it sound like you are getting extras by booking a package. You aren't. The Citywalk passes are included with any multi-day ticket. The early admission and unlimited express are included with any onsite stay. The 2 day ticket with get one free is available anywhere tickets are sold.

On the Universal website they have let "Universal Vacations" --- a travel agency --- sell packages. There aren't any special deals or anything. They just get their tickets from Universal Orlando and book their rooms through Loews. They just charge you fees if you want them to make any changes and they make you pay for entire amount a certain time in advance. As long as you have read the fine print and are okay with their restrictions it is all good.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
ky07
Proud Redhead
Earning My Globe •o•
Yeah and we all are trying to get together

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo

They make it sound like you are getting extras by booking a package. You aren't. The Citywalk passes are included with any multi-day ticket. The early admission and unlimited express are included with any onsite stay. The 2 day ticket with get one free is available anywhere tickets are sold.

On the Universal website they have let "Universal Vacations" --- a travel agency --- sell packages. There aren't any special deals or anything. They just get their tickets from Universal Orlando and book their rooms through Loews. They just charge you fees if you want them to make any changes and they make you pay for entire amount a certain time in advance. As long as you have read the fine print and are okay with their restrictions it is all good.
That's the reason I like booking things on my own instead of packages cause when you stay onsite you can get all the same benefits that you get booking that package and most times you can book the room and get the tickets cheaper than the package cause I saved quite a bit over the packages they offered and on our tight budget was able to stay onsite this year when I thought we was going to have to stay offsite this year
Old 02-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #14
funkbucket007
Incinerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky07 View Post
That's the reason I like booking things on my own instead of packages cause when you stay onsite you can get all the same benefits that you get booking that package and most times you can book the room and get the tickets cheaper than the package cause I saved quite a bit over the packages they offered and on our tight budget was able to stay onsite this year when I thought we was going to have to stay offsite this year
Ours was actually $8.63 cheaper to get the "package," as opposed to getting the room directly from Loews and the tickets directly from Universal. I know that's not much but I certainly didn't get taken advantage of by getting it all from Universal's site.

Best I can advise is to check it both ways and do whichever is cheapest. The implication that you're getting screwed by getting a Vacation Package simply isn't true.
"We have created characters and animated them in the dimension of depth, revealing through them to our perturbed world that the things we have in common far outnumber and outweigh those that divide us." - Walt Disney

Me DW DS/11 DS/7

funkbucket007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #15
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkbucket007 View Post
Ours was actually $8.63 cheaper to get the "package," as opposed to getting the room directly from Loews and the tickets directly from Universal. I know that's not much but I certainly didn't get taken advantage of by getting it all from Universal's site.

Best I can advise is to check it both ways and do whichever is cheapest. The implication that you're getting screwed by getting a Vacation Package simply isn't true.

We generally recommend getting your tickets from Undercover Tourist. That's where you start getting the better deals.

For example:

A four day park hopper at the universal website: $172.54

A four day park hopper at undercovertourist.com: $159.95

For a family of 4, that is a $50.36 savings.

We often get complaints from people who have purchased the package and then tried to make changes that they've gotten dinged with fees. That is one of the main reasons we don't recommend packages.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: