Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #61
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
DVC MS frequently gives wrong information. You are always better off asking DVC questions in the DVC boards, getting multiple confirmation of that answer, then call DVC MS until you get someone who will give you the right answer. Alot of their newer MS (especially after Aulani came online) are not educated about DVC point bookings.

DVC takes over DCL bookings and if there is a 10% Onboard offer attached to it, they give you a prenegotiated discount point rate. The advantage of holding a dummy booking is that you don't have to book 3 days after you get off the ship.

We've done the take over route twice now (once in 2011, and once for our upcoming cruise).

The extra time to decide gives us the ability to confirm our plans before booking w/DVC, which charges heftier penalties than DCL.

Unless DVC recently changed its policy... if so, it would have already been posted in the DVC boards (which it has not, and I check those daily).
You don't get to keep the on board credit though, right? Also, do you still have to pay the $95 dollar booking fee?

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #62
DuckMom
Mouseketeer

I was JUST told by my TA that the new transfer policy has been temporarily suspended. No word on how long this suspension lasts, so get those transfers in as soon as you can! Good luck everyone!
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #63
chateau
DIS Veteran

deleted

Last edited by chateau; 02-02-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: troll type going off on a tangent from OP= pointless
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #64
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateau View Post
IMO, DCL and Disney are not stupid. I may have sniffed too much pixie dust, but I doubt they will implement something with a cut-off or date requirement without grandfathering those made prior.... they'd have little legal ground to stand on, and it would only serve to put a bad taste in customers mouths (forcing a change that someone wasn't made aware of when their initial reservation was made).
What do you mean? What have they done that is 'illegal'? There is no legal right to transfer your reservation to a TA, so you'd have nothing to sue about.
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #65
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
DVC MS frequently gives wrong information. You are always better off asking DVC questions in the DVC boards, getting multiple confirmation of that answer, then call DVC MS until you get someone who will give you the right answer. Alot of their newer MS (especially after Aulani came online) are not educated about DVC point bookings.

DVC takes over DCL bookings and if there is a 10% Onboard offer attached to it, they give you a prenegotiated discount point rate. The advantage of holding a dummy booking is that you don't have to book 3 days after you get off the ship.

We've done the take over route twice now (once in 2011, and once for our upcoming cruise).

The extra time to decide gives us the ability to confirm our plans before booking w/DVC, which charges heftier penalties than DCL.

Unless DVC recently changed its policy... if so, it would have already been posted in the DVC boards (which it has not, and I check those daily).
This policy has changed. As of the Dec 15,2012 sailing you now have 7 days to change it to DVC points instead of the 3 days previously.

Thankfully you can now get over any jet lag before making any decisions.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #66
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranidayz View Post
Wondering the same thing....
And Costco doesn't take Disney gift cards. So my usual method of paying down the cruise with gift cards and then transferring won't work - ugh!

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #67
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

About an hour ago transferred an OBB made 2 years ago to DVC. Got a point discount actually a bit greater than 10%. Normal points were 120 but with OBB discount it was 105, so a 12.5% discount. Don't know if I'll keep the OBC but I'm happy regardless.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Walt Disney World Aug/04 FW Cabins; Jun/05 offsite; Dec/06 ASMo/OKW & MVMCP; Jan/08 POR BFF trip; Sept-Oct/08 AKV & MNSSHP; Dec/09 Pop; Nov/11 Cor Spngs w/my honey; Dec/11 AKV Kidani w/ the kids; Oct/12 CR/Poly & MNSSHP; June/13 SSR Girls Only Trip; Oct/13 BC & MNSSHP w/my honey; Jan/14 AKV Mother son trip
Disney Cruise Line Dec/09 Magic 7 nt E w/ Tortola; Jan/11 Wonder 15 nt WBPC; Mar/13 Fantasy 7 nt E w/San Juan; May/13 Magic 6 nt W w/my honey; Sept/14 Fantasy 7 nt W w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #68
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
And Costco doesn't take Disney gift cards. So my usual method of paying down the cruise with gift cards and then transferring won't work - ugh!

Jodie
They do!! It's more work - you have to call Costco and give them the gift card numbers and they in turn call DCL to have them applied. I know this works because my Fantasy cruise in December was booked with COSTCO and since it was a "cheaper" cruise (my Mom was eligible for the awesome military rate) I tested using Costco and had no problems giving the rep about 10 cards at one time. It does take more time than simply applying them online, but if you end up with a $400 Costco card in the end, I'd say it's worth it.

I'm on the fence myself...my plan was to pay our cruise way down and then transfer to Costco so I wouldn't have to call them and give them gift cards to apply. We don't sail (for this particular cruise) until April 2014. I've been buying a $50 Disney card every time I've been in Target so it's getting there, but not nearly complete. I think we'd end up with about $450 in a Costco card so it's nothing to sneeze at. Obviously the OBB and 10% off from DCL is more attractive so I'll see how this plays out.

Keep us posted
Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013. Next: 10/2015 WDW/MNSSHP/F&W
DCL (Platinum): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy, 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I), & 12/2014 Wonder Next: 6/2015 (Magic-Europe), & 3/2016 Magic/WDW.
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #69
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInTheMagic View Post
They do!! It's more work - you have to call Costco and give them the gift card numbers and they in turn call DCL to have them applied. I know this works because my Fantasy cruise in December was booked with COSTCO and since it was a "cheaper" cruise (my Mom was eligible for the awesome military rate) I tested using Costco and had no problems giving the rep about 10 cards at one time. It does take more time than simply applying them online, but if you end up with a $400 Costco card in the end, I'd say it's worth it.

I'm on the fence myself...my plan was to pay our cruise way down and then transfer to Costco so I wouldn't have to call them and give them gift cards to apply. We don't sail (for this particular cruise) until April 2014. I've been buying a $50 Disney card every time I've been in Target so it's getting there, but not nearly complete. I think we'd end up with about $450 in a Costco card so it's nothing to sneeze at. Obviously the OBB and 10% off from DCL is more attractive so I'll see how this plays out.

Keep us posted
Heather
Really??? Thats good news. When I asked the agent at Costco, I was told that they do not take the gift cards. I suppose I'll have to call back and ask for a supervisor to confirm. I purchase GC's at Kroger when they offer the 4x fuel promotion - works out to about 14% off the cruise fare if I pay with those cards. I don't mind transferring the res within 30 days or naming Costco onboard if they will take my gift cards. Thanks for the info!

By the way, Kroger has a "loadable" card on which you can put any amount. Its less cumbersome than calling in multiple cards. Not sure where you get your GC's.

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #70
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
Really??? Thats good news. When I asked the agent at Costco, I was told that they do not take the gift cards. I suppose I'll have to call back and ask for a supervisor to confirm. I purchase GC's at Kroger when they offer the 4x fuel promotion - works out to about 14% off the cruise fare if I pay with those cards. I don't mind transferring the res within 30 days or naming Costco onboard if they will take my gift cards. Thanks for the info!

By the way, Kroger has a "loadable" card on which you can put any amount. Its less cumbersome than calling in multiple cards. Not sure where you get your GC's.

Jodie
Hmm.. Wonder why they'd say they don't? I know others on here have done the same as that's where I first learned about it. I will probably call sometime this weekend and ask them and see what response I get

I usually get my cards from Target so I can get the 5% off using my Red card. During the Xmas holidays they ran a spend $50 and get a $10 Target gift card so I think I got about $600 then. I know a lot take advantage of the fuel rewards but we don't seem to benefit as much from them and sadly we don't have a Kroger in our area.

Keep me posted if you call and have an update and I'll do the same

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013. Next: 10/2015 WDW/MNSSHP/F&W
DCL (Platinum): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy, 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I), & 12/2014 Wonder Next: 6/2015 (Magic-Europe), & 3/2016 Magic/WDW.
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #71
chateau
DIS Veteran

deleted

Last edited by chateau; 02-02-2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: some want to disagree just to be confrontational... not my style nor will I feed into it
Old 02-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #72
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Transactions with companies are legal transactions and have inherant guidelines to follow. When there's money exchanged for goods or services, there are certain parameters set into that transaction that must be followed. If you need further explanation, I'll quote from a lawbook but it's boring reading.
I disagree with you. The contract, if any, would be between the travel agency and Disney, not you. You have a contract to sail on a certain date at a certain price with Disney. Nothing in the contract about your getting a benefit from transferring it to a TA, and the fact that Disney lets you do it for 30 days is a benefit that can be withdrawn at any time, and that's what they did.

Just because they have always served lobster or accepted American Express cards or picked up your luggage outside your door doesn't mean they have to continue to do that.

You can cite law if you want. I don't find it boring.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #73
chateau
DIS Veteran

deleted

Last edited by chateau; 02-02-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: no point in bantering with people off topic
Old 02-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #74
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWmom View Post
This policy has changed. As of the Dec 15,2012 sailing you now have 7 days to change it to DVC points instead of the 3 days previously.

Thankfully you can now get over any jet lag before making any decisions.
This is helpful, thanks.

And to the PP who asked about the OBC, no you do not get to keep it. So it's really a much better deal to keep the cash booking but when we have to have 3 cabins it works out for us to use points for 1 cabin.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #75
Candleinthewind
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Not worth it... nobody is interested but you, I'm sure. If you choose not to believe my post, that is your perogative, but others may like to know that Disney is unlikely to do something that they know may likely be disputed by numerous people. This is too far off topic to continue.
The fact of the matter is, there is nothing illegal about what Disney has done. They have brought the same transfer policy for DCL inline with WDW, Disneyland, Adventures by Disney, and Aulani.They are maintaining a consistency across all reservations acroass all brands.

Effective yesterday, each requested transfer is subject to Disney's approval. The date of initial booking is the date when a reservation number is generated whether or not a deposit has been made.

There is going to be zero grandfathering. People can dispute all they want, but transferring to a TA who provides the best perks or OBC has always been a private matter between the passenger and the Travel Agent. Other lines have done this with no warning and weathered what if any legal challenges that have been made., Disney is not doing this without some other line doing it before.
Candleinthewind is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: