Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #16
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
I keep my cruise reservation to myself until I really know we are going, then I have transferred it (I didn't want to have a TA have to move it several times for me).
I completely understand this. When the 2013 dates were released I planned to book a June cruise. That's what I would have told a TA to get us. The prices for June were shocking so I looked at March and was surprised by the glitch over the spring break cruises so snapped them up. We wouldn't be crusing this year if it hadn't been for that and I could have missed out if I didn't have control of my reservation that time. I did transfer to a TA for the 2014 dates, but still feel like I am bugging them with all the possibilities and if a cat 8 costs X book a cat 10 instead.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #17
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

From the FAQ at: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa...authorization/

Quote:
QuestionCan I transfer my cruise reservation to a travel agent?Answer
You can transfer your reservation to a travel agent as long as the voyage fare portion of your cruise has not been paid and the request is received within 30 days of your reservation being created. Please contact your travel agent to assist you in completing the necessary authorization form to transfer your booking.
So it is on the official site if you go look.

ETA - I posted this while another poster beat me to it (I was researching and copying at the time they posted).
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise January 18-25, 2014
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)

Last edited by DahliaRW; 02-01-2013 at 05:03 PM.
DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #18
WebmasterJohn
Genius
Maintains the Big Book of Grievances

DISboards Administrator

Just confirmed with DCL that this policy change is now in affect.

If this is something you are not happy about send an email to dcl.guest.communications@disneycruise.com - they claim that they want happy guests so if they make a policy change that doesn't make you happy let them know.

WebmasterJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Can I still book myself on-line and get a DCL OBC and then transfer to DU and get their OBC? If so, does that have to be done w/i 30 days?
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #20
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Well, I don't know how or why I got the announcement on my FB this morning...must have been something I did in past years....

But now we all have the same info on the DCL web site. Done deal till they change it again......
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #21
ranidayz
DIS Veteran is a....... Caribbean Amphibian

So what does this mean for people who booked the first day that prices were released for 2014 and have not yet transferred them over?
ranidayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #22
Candleinthewind
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranidayz View Post
So what does this mean for people who booked the first day that prices were released for 2014 and have not yet transferred them over?
It means there is no grace period if you are over 30 days. Also, Disney pays a lower commission to a travel agency on a transferred reservation than they do if booked through that agency!
Candleinthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #23
ranidayz
DIS Veteran is a....... Caribbean Amphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candleinthewind
It means there is no grace period if you are over 30 days. Also, Disney pays a lower commission to a travel agency on a transferred reservation than they do if booked through that agency!
But the policy just came out today. How can they penalize you for violating a policy that didnt exist?
ranidayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #24
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
Can I still book myself on-line and get a DCL OBC and then transfer to DU and get their OBC? If so, does that have to be done w/i 30 days?
The 30-day question has already been answered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
I just did some searching on Google and found this -- on the Disney web site.

You can transfer your reservation to a travel agent as long as the voyage fare portion of your cruise has not been paid and the request is received within 30 days of your reservation being created. Please contact your travel agent to assist you in completing the necessary authorization form to transfer your booking.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa...authorization/
Is the DCL OBC for booking online? If so, then I think it should stack with the DU OBC, but someone from DU would know for sure.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #25
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
But... that's their job?
Yes, but if I'm not sure what I want, and I want to think about it and maybe change the room or the dates... I would rather not bother a TA until I'm fairly certain about what it is I want. And I am not ever close to being certain when I am booking on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
I completely understand this. When the 2013 dates were released I planned to book a June cruise. That's what I would have told a TA to get us. The prices for June were shocking so I looked at March and was surprised by the glitch over the spring break cruises so snapped them up. We wouldn't be crusing this year if it hadn't been for that and I could have missed out if I didn't have control of my reservation that time. I did transfer to a TA for the 2014 dates, but still feel like I am bugging them with all the possibilities and if a cat 8 costs X book a cat 10 instead.
I've had similar things. Sometimes a TA is busy and can't get to me for a few hours (or days) and if I see a room I want at the right price I want to snap it up quickly. Once I did transfer it, I had to call the TA to have her check on certain things. I use the same TA each time (it's not a matter of shopping around) but I guess Disney doesn't want to deal with this anymore.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #26
kcashner
DIS Veteran

As far as DCL is concerned, you can book on line and transfer to a TA. The on line booking credit remains in place. What you get from the TA for transferring is between you and the TA.

AND...if your TA knows what they are doing, they can get you the same on line credit by booking for you that you can get for on line bookings. There is NOTHING that I'm aware of that you can get by booking on your own that a TA can't get for you.. That doesn't mean that every TA out there knows how to do it, but they can do it.

I do realize that a TA who doesn't know what they are doing is a pain, and WAY more trouble than they are worth. But a good TA is equally worth his/he weight in gold. My suggestion is that you find someone that you like to work with, who knows their stuff, has appropriate training and experience, etc. and let them handle your bookings. That way, the TA gets their full commission for the booking and you get all the possible benefits.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #27
pyramid2000
Member of the DD Geek invasion of CC
How exacty do you iron on a T-****?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranidayz View Post
But the policy just came out today. How can they penalize you for violating a policy that didnt exist?
This will cause problems for them I am sure. There will be people who have no idea this happened as well as many in your situation. I am sure DCL will be getting an earful over at least the next few months...more reason to write them!

I am with most others in wanting to switch over to a TA after I have my intended ressie taken care of from a dummy date, especially if it was one that I wanted to move over on an opening day booking. People will have to decide what is worth more to them. Seems everyone will be losing out, from the TAs to the customers. Oh, wait, DCL. Guess they will be gaining on this one. Wonder if they will pass this off to the customers...

1988- 1st trip to WDW/senior class trip : 1990- Carnival cruise from Puerto Rico : 5/00- 3 night CB/4 night Magic : 9/05- 4 night PO/3 night Wonder : 1/06 - 7 night Western Magic: 7/06- 5 night RCCL Explorer (Bermuda):12/09/06- 7 night Magic-DD Geek Party: 8/17/08- 15 night EBPC Magic : 11/01/09- 4 night Wonder:: 2/20/11- 4 night Dream : 11/10/11 - 3 night Dream : 10/13/12 - 7 night Western Fantasy : 04/04/13 - 4 night Miami Wonder : 01/13/14 - 4 night Magic :
pyramid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #28
mmmears
DIS Veteran

So as I understand it, even if I completely change my reservation again (original onboard booking in 2011) I can't transfer it to my TA? There is no "grandfather" clause then?

I'm not contesting what DCL is doing, just want to make sure I understand the policy.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #29
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

i'm a bit confused so here's what I normally do, let me know if you think it is still the same.....
I book when I see what I want, get the room I want and then rebook while on board which gives us the obc. I only do this if the price is similar but it usually is. while on board, I then tf it to the ta. so would I still be able to do this? they actually cancel the first booking and rebook on board right?
sorry if this is confusing, you would think I could understand a small change.
oh, as a ot, I have Disney pop ups on my fb as well and never saw the announcement. I just signed in and went to the dcl page and it doesn't show. how strange.....maybe they took it down?
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #30
mkmommy
DIS Veteran

Look at it from DCL's point of view.

Currently guests book through DCL, so DCL has to pay their staff to answer the phones and process the reservations. Just prior to pay in full customers now transfer their reservation to a Travel Agent, so DCL had to pay their staff for all the initial work, plus now a TA commission.

DCL is just saying if we are going to pay a travel agent a commission we need to make them do the work so we do not have to pay DCL staff too.

Sure, it is to save DCL money, but it is better than reducing TA commissions which would be another way to reduce their reservation expense .

mkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: