Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #31
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

Sending lots of hugs & prayers

Pretrip Report: Angel's Make a Wish Cruise on the Dream /and extended days at WDW PTR :We have dates 4/13-25
Trip Report: Angel's Make a Wish DREAM Cruise & extended days at wdw: April 13-25, 2013

Previous trips: 2013 Apr. 18-25 2010 May 8-15 2009 Dec. 4-11 2008 Dec. 15-24 2008 Aug. 30-Sept 7
2007 Sept. 1-8 2006 Dec. 9-16 2006 Sept. 26-Oct.3 2005 Sept. 25-Oct.8 2004 Dec. 11-21 All at POP
CRUISE 2013 Apr. 14-18 Disney DREAM
angel's momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #32
JWCJ
Mouseketeer

That is terrible. I mean, I know we need to be thankful that MAW is there to give our kids opportunities, but...... Wow. WOW. Are there any other wish foundations in your area that you could approach instead?
My heart is breaking that you guys could be put in this situation. It seems extreme and so far from the norm.

Ja's Make A Wish PTR

MAW TR!
JWCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #33
Kktraylor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCJ
That is terrible. I mean, I know we need to be thankful that MAW is there to give our kids opportunities, but...... Wow. WOW. Are there any other wish foundations in your area that you could approach instead?
My heart is breaking that you guys could be put in this situation. It seems extreme and so far from the norm.
Thank you. I don't want it to seem like I'm not grateful...I am very much so. I know it seems like they're getting tired of me trying to find a way. I just have to believe that it'll somehow work out. I'm going to find a way to make sure we can all go...not sure how yet...lol.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #34
Lilfoot93
DIS Veteran

So sorry! I sure hope there is a way you can all go!

Jackie

TR: Trev's Star Wars MAW trip

Trevor DS 7 (wish kiddo) Allie DD 4 Kara DD 4
Lilfoot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #35
luckylady
DIS Veteran

That's sad for her. I hope you can find a way for the rest of the kids to go.
Me Luckylady (53) DH (60) DS#1 (33)DD (25) and the "baby" DS#2 (23)
luckylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #36
Happy Duck
Mouseketeer

Argh! I just found your thread and read all the way through. I hope everything works out! I can't imagine ever saying to a little girl "We're sending you to Disney...but some of your siblings have to stay home." It's a WISH, not a technicality!

The Wilderness Must be Explored (for 15 days!)- A Mother/Daughter Trip!

April 2013 Trip Report: It's EXHILARATING in the BIG BLUE WORLD!
Happy Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #37
Kktraylor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Duck
Argh! I just found your thread and read all the way through. I hope everything works out! I can't imagine ever saying to a little girl "We're sending you to Disney...but some of your siblings have to stay home." It's a WISH, not a technicality!
Thanks. I have faith that we will create our happy ending. Ava even said she'd give up Sea World and seeing dolphins if they could come. Sweet girl.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #38
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Joining in. Really hope things work out and Ava gets her full wish to have all her siblings in Disney with her.
petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #39
Kktraylor
Mouseketeer

Met with our wish granters today. They were both really nice. It still looks like the others won't be included at all. When she was explaining it to Ava he started to get upset. Stress triggers flare ups so she almost immediately started getting sick. She spent the last half of the meeting in bed and is now running fever. :-(. But, she said her wish was Disney World and her second wish was something with American Girl dolls. I hear them whispering about maybe being able to get her a doll, so that would be awesome. We requested the first week of June since Ava's best friend will be going that week and it looks like a goo possibility. :-)

Kristy
Old 02-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #40
Kktraylor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals
Joining in. Really hope things work out and Ava gets her full wish to have all her siblings in Disney with her.
Thanks. Even though they don't get to officially participate, we will still have it be a family trip. We just have to say a lot of prayers to be able to afford it. :-)

Kristy
Old 02-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #41
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

So sorry the meeting was stressful for Ava. Hope she's feeling better now. Hope you get the dates you'd like.

Pretrip Report: Angel's Make a Wish Cruise on the Dream /and extended days at WDW PTR :We have dates 4/13-25
Trip Report: Angel's Make a Wish DREAM Cruise & extended days at wdw: April 13-25, 2013

Previous trips: 2013 Apr. 18-25 2010 May 8-15 2009 Dec. 4-11 2008 Dec. 15-24 2008 Aug. 30-Sept 7
2007 Sept. 1-8 2006 Dec. 9-16 2006 Sept. 26-Oct.3 2005 Sept. 25-Oct.8 2004 Dec. 11-21 All at POP
CRUISE 2013 Apr. 14-18 Disney DREAM
angel's momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #42
icecreamforbreakfast
Mouseketeer

Hi,

Our son was granted a wish trip in Nov 2010, since then I have tended to be more of lurker then a poster, but your story has prompted me to post. We are a family of 6 and tend to live life in a rather penny pinching manner. I have no idea what your plans may be for meals during the trip etc.., but we bought 1 set of ice cream treats (for $25!) for our family in the parks and that was it the whole week. We ate at GKTW, stopped at Wal-mart and stocked up on snacks and water, ordered pizza to our villa in the evenings and took it into the parks for lunch the next day etc.. I know you are limited with the amount of food you can eat at GKTW, but even so I would imagine Make A Wish would give you an expense cheque to cover at least some meals in the parks, if you chose to use that money on cheaper food options you may have some leftover cash. After our sons trip we were able to purchase a basketball hoop & fooseball table with the left over money that was allocated to our family for food for our wish trip.

Just a thought as to where some more funds could possibly come to help cover the cost of your whole family going. I know from reading trip reports that each MAW chapter is different, but I do think everyone receives some sort of "expense cheque".

Hope you are able to work out all the details to make this happen for your family!

Joey's PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2563612

Yes, we had icecream for breakfast ... more then once!!! Joey's Wish Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2631198
icecreamforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #43
Kktraylor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamforbreakfast
Hi,

Our son was granted a wish trip in Nov 2010, since then I have tended to be more of lurker then a poster, but your story has prompted me to post. We are a family of 6 and tend to live life in a rather penny pinching manner. I have no idea what your plans may be for meals during the trip etc.., but we bought 1 set of ice cream treats (for $25!) for our family in the parks and that was it the whole week. We ate at GKTW, stopped at Wal-mart and stocked up on snacks and water, ordered pizza to our villa in the evenings and took it into the parks for lunch the next day etc.. I know you are limited with the amount of food you can eat at GKTW, but even so I would imagine Make A Wish would give you an expense cheque to cover at least some meals in the parks, if you chose to use that money on cheaper food options you may have some leftover cash. After our sons trip we were able to purchase a basketball hoop & fooseball table with the left over money that was allocated to our family for food for our wish trip.

Just a thought as to where some more funds could possibly come to help cover the cost of your whole family going. I know from reading trip reports that each MAW chapter is different, but I do think everyone receives some sort of "expense cheque".

Hope you are able to work out all the details to make this happen for your family!
Thanks. We have no idea how much our expense check will be, but we definitely plan to try to stretch it. Our only possible splurge is Ava wants to eat at Chef Mickey's. Hopefully I'll be able to find a way to make that happen. But, thankfully we know how to eat cheaply. I'm sure you're big family is the same way, but my kids are fine with sandwiches. They've learned to appreciate how much things cost when you have to multiply it by 7.

I am grateful for any cost cutting advice, so please share any tips! :-)
Old 02-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #44
Kktraylor
Mouseketeer

Another huge cost for us is we have to pay for my mom to go with us. Because of my disabilities I will need a wheelchair at times and so will Ava. So, we have to have at least two people to be able to push us.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #45
icecreamforbreakfast
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kktraylor View Post
Thanks. We have no idea how much our expense check will be, but we definitely plan to try to stretch it. Our only possible splurge is Ava wants to eat at Chef Mickey's. Hopefully I'll be able to find a way to make that happen. But, thankfully we know how to eat cheaply. I'm sure you're big family is the same way, but my kids are fine with sandwiches. They've learned to appreciate how much things cost when you have to multiply it by 7.

I am grateful for any cost cutting advice, so please share any tips! :-)
Is the desire to eat at Chef Mickeys to meet the characters? We have never done a character meal so I don't know what we are missing and others may chime in here and tell me I totally don't know what I am talking about ... but, we met tons of characters - Mickey 4 times!!! and the characters spent extra time with our kids. Ava's GKTW button will get her special attention at the character meets and front of the line access. We are a family that eats out extremely rarely (like maybe once a year) and so the food was not a big deal to us, but meeting the characters was and there was plenty of opportunity for that outside of a character meal. I don't want to discourage filling Ava's dreams, but personally I find the cost of the character meal for our family extremely hard to swallow and your family's cost would be even higher!

Just trying to help pinch pennies

Joey's PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2563612

Yes, we had icecream for breakfast ... more then once!!! Joey's Wish Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2631198
icecreamforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: