DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #16
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
I suspect some people don't follow th rules, but some people don't know the rules.
I'll personally give them the benefit of the doubt that they didn't realize they were doing something wrong. The fact that they were blatantly telling people they weren't staying at WDW would indicate they were either very unconcerned about being turned in, or thought they were within their rights as an owner to be there.

The other thing that's hard to dismiss is the distinct possibility that some cast member at some point or another said something to them that either specifically indicated they could do it, or could be easily misinterpreted to make them think they could do it. We all know how inconsistently the rules are applied, and how inconsistent the answer is if you ask multiple cast members a question about the rules.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by erionm View Post
I think there is a small number of locals (members & non-members) that treat the Disney pools are their own personal pools.
My daughter has a co-worker (they don't live in FL) who visits family in the Orlando area and they pool hop to all the pools, DVC in particular by riding the buses from SSR. They park at DTD and go from there. What really steams me is that she bragged that they even swam at BLT on their last trip.

I remember the days when the bus drivers actually asked to see a room key before they let you on the bus. That hasn't happened in years.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #18
owl0306
Mouseketeer

I think all disney pools should do what SAB does and that is check every persons room key (even my kids were checked) and given a bracelet.
owl0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #19
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysword View Post
So the obvious follow-up question; should someone be called out to a cast member if we discover they are not staying at any WDW resort?
I guess that depends upon whether you think it's your place--and worth your time--to fight that battle.

In my opinion, unless Disney really wishes to get proactive in this regard, it's a losing battle to fight. If you mention it to a Cast Member and it gets the offender removed, you've addressed exactly one violation.

Like crisi said, some people do not even know they are in the wrong. You could try saying something to the offender to find out if they are aware of the rules. If they aren't, educating them may help eliminate one offender. But if they are aware of the rule and still choose to violate, wasting your vacation time getting them evicted won't have any lasting impact. They'll be back the next weekend.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #20
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

I don't think there's much point in letting a cast member know of the situation. Theyll just politely tell them they need to leave and the family will head to another resort or even back to the same resort the next day. If Disney actually cared about this, they would find a way to keep non resort guests out. Like the re using of refillable mugs, Disney just doesn't seem to see this as a problem significant enough for them to address.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #21
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So the obvious follow-up question; should someone be called out to a cast member if we discover they are not staying at any WDW resort?
It depends on the circumstances, IMO. Ultimately they hurt themselves more than anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
I'll personally give them the benefit of the doubt that they didn't realize they were doing something wrong. The fact that they were blatantly telling people they weren't staying at WDW would indicate they were either very unconcerned about being turned in, or thought they were within their rights as an owner to be there.

The other thing that's hard to dismiss is the distinct possibility that some cast member at some point or another said something to them that either specifically indicated they could do it, or could be easily misinterpreted to make them think they could do it. We all know how inconsistently the rules are applied, and how inconsistent the answer is if you ask multiple cast members a question about the rules.
I'm sure there are those that don't know but I suspect most know what they're doing and that they are violating the rules. As for getting incorrect info from a CM, I don't see that as an excuse unless they simply don't know otherwise which I think is the minority by far. Just like getting incorrect info at a sales tour that contradicts the written rules doesn't excuse violating those either. That's likely the most common area where we see this issue come into play.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #22
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletsmama View Post
I don't think there's much point in letting a cast member know of the situation. Theyll just politely tell them they need to leave and the family will head to another resort or even back to the same resort the next day. If Disney actually cared about this, they would find a way to keep non resort guests out. Like the re using of refillable mugs, Disney just doesn't seem to see this as a problem significant enough for them to address.
I think there is a point in them being asked to leave. If they truly don't know, it'll make the point, if they do and are asked to leave enough, they'll stop doing it. Clearly there are some that will do this type of thing no matter what, their actions define their character.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #23
OhioDVC
Mouseketeer

DVC respondence

Here is what I got back from Member Services:

"Pools are only for registered Members and Guests who are staying on property at the Resort, and no Day Guests including Members are permitted to use those facilities without a room reservation."

I can't believe it. Maybe I am more sensitive to it and notice it more, but there were two couples at Wilderness Lodge DVC pool yesterday who were not registered guests anywhere at Disney property.

I talked with them about it and they felt that since they where members they had a RIGHT to use the pools. Things got heated when I told them that they where not authorized to use the pools and they were cheating other members.

Just like the rest of our society, there are free loaders who will always take advantage of the system
OhioDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #24
OneMoreTry

DIS Veteran

Quote:
I would never do that unless someone was really being obnoxious. Even then I would be reluctant. Live and let live.
OneMoreTry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #25
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

This may be a good area for DVC to differentiate further between buying direct and buying resale.

They could issue different color membership cards for resale or direct to make them easily distinguishable, and then create day use as a "new perk" for those that bought direct. They could use this to easily add perks for direct purchasers of at least 100 points in the parks and resorts, while not further "restricting" resale memberships. The point usage restrictions are already listed by MS in the computer system, so a different color card could work for new onsite perks,like better pass discounts, shopping discounts, etc...just as they used to be different for Premium AP and Regular AP.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #26
Li Li
Mouseketeer

Just as an FYI, I do not think every DVC owner understands all the rules. A friend recently gave us points to stay at Kidani. In the days leading up to the trip, she told us that we could pool hop. My DH and I privately discussed it and believed that it would not be allowed for us since we are not the actual DVC members; we were just using someone else's points.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #27
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
I think there is a point in them being asked to leave. If they truly don't know, it'll make the point, if they do and are asked to leave enough, they'll stop doing it. Clearly there are some that will do this type of thing no matter what, their actions define their character.
I didn't say there's no point in them being asked to leave. I said there's no point in telling a CM.
I do believe they should be asked to leave, but I don't believe it should be members' responsibility to patrol the area.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #28
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Li
Just as an FYI, I do not think every DVC owner understands all the rules. A friend recently gave us points to stay at Kidani. In the days leading up to the trip, she told us that we could pool hop. My DH and I privately discussed it and believed that it would not be allowed for us since we are not the actual DVC members; we were just using someone else's points.
I agree with this. Members who aren't on sites like this would just think oh, we're allowed to pool hop. They wouldn't then think of the fact that their guests wouldn't be allowed this same privilege.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #29
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletsmama View Post
I didn't say there's no point in them being asked to leave. I said there's no point in telling a CM.
I do believe they should be asked to leave, but I don't believe it should be members' responsibility to patrol the area.
Every situation and person is different but if the CM doesn't know, they have no chance to enforce the rules.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #30
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
Bonnet Creek is on our bucket list, it appears to be a lovely property with interesting poolscape. Come back and report on your stay.
Be aware that as of February 1, Wyndham is imposing a MANDATORY $12 per night fee for use of the shuttles, on ALL rooms, whether or not the shuttle is used.

carlbarry is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: