DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
OhioDVC
Mouseketeer

Can members us resort without being a registered guest?

During a recent stay at OKW and VWL I met two families from the Orlando area that were DVC members that use the pools at the DVC resorts on a regular basis. They willingly showed me their membership card.

Can members really do that? Legitimately?

I remember my stay at HHI this past summer and the sign at the entrance to the beach pool clearly states "MEMBERS and registered guests only". Does this mean that as a member we can used the DVC resorts when we are not registered guests?

I'm staying at Bonnet Creek for two weeks starting next week. I'm going to flash my membership card and see if anyone questions my use of the DVC resorts.
OhioDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDVC View Post
During a recent stay at OKW and VWL I met two families from the Orlando area that were DVC members that use the pools at the DVC resorts on a regular basis. They willingly showed me their membership card.

I remember my stay at HHI this past summer and the sign at the entrance to the beach pool clearly states "MEMBERS and registered guests only". Does this mean that as a member we can used the DVC resorts when we are not registered guests?

I'm staying at Bonnet Creek for two weeks starting next week. I'm going to flash my membership card and see if anyone questions my use of the DVC resorts.
No, it's not allowed. Members can pool hop while they are staying at a DVC resort on points but not if they are staying elsewhere.
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:

Resort amenities--including pools--are available only to DVC members who are using points for a stay.

So no...according to program rules, owners are not entitled to use resort facilities when they are not registered guests.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:

Bonnet Creek is on our bucket list, it appears to be a lovely property with interesting poolscape. Come back and report on your stay.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Dean
DIS Veteran

Some timeshares allow day use, DVC does not. However there seem to be a subset of members who don't seem willing to follow the rules.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
erionm
DIS Veteran

I think there is a small number of locals (members & non-members) that treat the Disney pools are their own personal pools.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erionm View Post
I think there is a small number of locals (members & non-members) that treat the Disney pools are their own personal pools.
This happens a lot at beach and other similar locations. I've seen similar discussion on various travel boards. There is a significant subset of people who feel it's perfectly OK to walk off the beach and use the pool at resorts they are not staying at, even more locals than vacationers it seems. To me it's a totally dishonest and inappropriate thing to do.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
This happens a lot at beach and other similar locations. I've seen similar discussion on various travel boards. There is a significant subset of people who feel it's perfectly OK to walk off the beach and use the pool at resorts they are not staying at, even more locals than vacationers it seems. To me it's a totally dishonest and inappropriate thing to do.
I agree. I live about 30 miles from WDW and can easily drive over for the day, but would never consider using any guest only amenities when visiting and not staying at the resort.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
lodge
DIS Veteran

Maybe the MyMagic+ bands will minimize this.... maybe.

I'm starting to see some benefits to being tracked.... this is one instance, and the people who made a "movie" while in the parks (to be shown at Sundance, whether it's "sold" has yet to be seen) is another.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:

At HH, unless you are a registered guest you won't have access to get into the Beach House to use the pool. The sign is there to discourage people walking up from the beach and the "Member" reference is there as a suggestion that the resort is more than a hotel but not an invitation to anyone not actually staying at the resort. While the resort will welcome unregistered DVC members to walk around the resort, they will not provide access to the Beach House except guests actually staying at the resort.

DVC Members not staying at the resort won't even be able to drive beyond the guard shack to get to the Beach House unless they already have access to Palmetto Dunes via some other access permit.

As already noted by many in this thread, DVC Members have no "rights" to amenities at any of the DVC Resorts unless they are staying there using their membership (points or cash).

DVC Members not staying at a DVC Resort can still get some of the Member perks at WDW and other locations (HH offers some DVC member discounts) by showing their Member ID but that does not include pool hopping or use of the pools.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Yes it is, they feel they are entitled
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge View Post

I'm starting to see some benefits to being tracked.... this is one instance, and the people who made a "movie" while in the parks (to be shown at Sundance, whether it's "sold" has yet to be seen) is another.
It is possible, they will put a reader at the gates to pools, if they gate them all.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
It is possible, they will put a reader at the gates to pools, if they gate them all.
I don't see that working unless there was someone watching the gate to make sure that no one comes in behind the registered guests.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
crisi
DIS Veteran

I suspect some people don't follow th rules, but some people don't know the rules....they don't read the signs, don't both to inform themselves. There area lot of people out there that are just ignorant.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #15
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

So the obvious follow-up question; should someone be called out to a cast member if we discover they are not staying at any WDW resort?
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: