Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Disneyqueendenmark
Mouseketeer

Planning a quick trip to London! Please help :)

Hello,

Me and three of my friends are going to London over Easter It is my first trip to England, but the others have been before! I'm really excited!
But I have some questions....
1) How are the opening hours in London during the Easter holiday?
I've tried to google it and looked at some store's websites, and as far as I can see most stores will be open on Good Friday? Here in Denmark most stores are closed on Sheer Thursday (what do you call it in the UK?), but I can't find any information about that, so does any of you know if the stores will be open?
Any other things that I might want to know about Easter time in London?

2) I'm leaving London on Easter sunday. Could that be a problem when it comes to bus and train transportation? We are flying out of Gatwick airport at 7 in the morning, so we have to leave our hotel in London pretty early. I was thinking about leaving 3 or 3½ hours before - will that be enough time to get to the airport and check-in/security?
To make it easier I was thinking about taking a cab. I tried to calculate the price online and it comes out about £125 from Paddinton to Gatwick - do you think that price is right? Or is it a lot more expensive or a lot cheaper?

I would really appriciate your help! Thanks
- Rebekka

(I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but as far as I could see it was most appropriate to post my questions here?)
Disneyland Resort - Christmas 2011
Walt Disney World AOA & FQ - January 2013
Upcoming Disneyland trip, Christmas 2014
Disneyqueendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
A Small World

I always like to give a little royal wave whilst Im up there
Not even looking at it til I get some housework done

Maundy Thursday is a normal working day so everything should be open.

Good Friday is a Bank Holiday but most shops and attractions will be open.

Saturday will be as normal.

Shops over a certain size are not allowed to open on Easter Sunday but this wont affect you anyhow

Transport to the airport on EasterSunday shouldnt be a problem. The Gatwick express leaves from Victoria Station and is direct to Gatwick and takes about 30/40 mins.

Have a look on this website to check times - http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...journey/search
WDW - Christmas 1991 -Off site; WDW - Christmas 1992 -Off site; WDW - Summer 1996 - All Stars; WDW - Summer 2003 -All Stars; DLP - Easter 2006- Santa Fe; DLP- Easter 2007 - Santa Fe + Explorers; DLP - Summer 2007 - Holiday Inn; DLP - Christmas 2007 -DCR; DLP - Easter 2008 - Cheyenne; DLP Summer 2008 Explorers + Sequoia Lodge; Nov 09 DDs surprise birthday trip- Kyriad; Feb2009 Disneyland Hotel; Easter 09 Kyriad; Summer 09 Newport Bay; Oct 10- DL ; Dec 11 - DL: Dec 12 DL
A Small World is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #3
Disneyqueendenmark
Mouseketeer

Thanks a lot Really appriciate it!
Disneyland Resort - Christmas 2011
Walt Disney World AOA & FQ - January 2013
Upcoming Disneyland trip, Christmas 2014
Disneyqueendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #4
Sencybil
What next?

The transport service on Easter Sunday will be pretty much the same as a normal Sunday - however that is less frequent and starts later than a normal weekday. You will be able to take a bus to Victoria as these run all night, but how convenient this is depends how close where you are staying is to the bus route. You could take a taxi to Victoria station, which would be a lot cheaper than all the way to Gatwick - should be less than £20 if prebooked.

The Gatwick Express runs half hourly, and will be running in time to get you there by 7am - or earlier if you prefer. However, there will be some engineering work going on which may cause timetable alterations, so just check a little nearer to Easter.

Of course, with 4 of you buying train ticketys, it adds up to quite a bit, so maybe a taxi would not be that much more. Early on a Sunday there will be little traffic, so it will be quick. I recommend searching for airport transfer services, and then e-mailing them for a quote. A work colleague recommended this company (I have never used them myself)

http://www.jagschauffeurdrive.com/airport-transfers/

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Sencybil xx

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: