Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #31
angelbear425
Mouseketeer

Keep in mind when staying off site, room prices might seem cheaper, but most hotels down there charge insane daily resort fees along with parking fees. You will also have to pay the $14 daily rate to park in any of the parks.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #32
Hasil72
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpdchef View Post
Sounds like I'm one for the dissenting vote. If all family members were non-handicapped, I'd stay off site in an instant.

However, like the last poster, I too have a child with a disability. Her disability is physical and that alone is what dictates to me that we "need" to stay onsite. We've considered off-site for the price factor. Man, that sure would be nice. We could have a long stay at Holiday Inn or Mariott on points and not pay much at all for lodging. But, location and mainly transportation is the big deciding factor for us.

Getting our dd's wheelchair and/or walker on the Magic Express, monorail, boats, and buses is so easy and fast. I can't even imagine the headache of staying off-site and trying to get to and from parks in a timely manner. I've heard too many horror stories from guest with handicapped and non-handicapped guests staying off-site. Not to mention, renting cars, driving and having a handicapped sticker to only find out that all the handicapped parking spots are already taken in the parks. I've heard that too much unfortunately. Sounds real fun to me.

We fly in. And, renting a car or van for a wheelchair and 6 people's luggage would be next to impossible. We'd need 2. That is not a family vacation to us at all.

We aren't there for the pools necessarily or to relax in a "big" room. We can do that at any Holiday Inn or Mariott we choose back home. We are there for the fun, excitement, rides, food and the parks.

So, I would suggest think of your brother. What are his needs and what would make it easier on him and those people getting him from point A to B. If his is a physical hadicap, on-site is the only way to go IMHO.

Sorry, I was typing with my phone and had too much to say with those tiny little buttons. I absolutely agree with pmpdchef. If you're traveling with anyone that has any kind of mobility issue then onsite would be better in most cases. If you're looking strictly at hotels rather than condos or villas, I'd definitely stay onsite. Might as well get the WDW magic in that case. We have to travel over Easter break this year and we're staying onsite for the days we're doing WDW. Hoping it makes the crowds a tiny bit more manageable. While the commute doesn't take long during the off season, spring break is a whole other story.

Also, take a look at the DISabilities thread. They have great tips for navigating the World with a disability. It will also explain the Guest Assistance Card (GAC) so you can decide if that might benefit your brother and make life a little easier while you're there.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #33
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkiwikki View Post
Respectfully disagree.
We always find a condo that is themed with Disney memorabilia throughout.
Most are loaded with Disney movies...and when everyone SLEEPS well because you are not ontop of one another all the time.

That - my friend - is PRICELESS magic...anyway you slice it.
We enjoy our vacation ...our time that is supposed to be 'recharging our batteries' - Infinitely more off site.

Take this from a Poly "kid" who went to the poly more times than ARE listed in my siggie

Went back recently and was sorely dissapointed. EVen the POLY! They have added longhouses since the 80s and it no longer feels intimate - and you no longer get the special attention I enjoyed as a child. And I SO wanted to feel the magic there....I had so many special memories...
I don't think my post reads the way I intended. I think many people will have a more enjoyable vacation if they say offsite. That's particularly true for people who would put a family of 4 (or more) in Disney room. Particularly true if you're willing to forgo hotel amenities such as daily maid service, room service, bell services etc. Occasionally I'll read budget suggestions. Four (sometimes sneak 5 or even 6) in a value. Ice in the tub as an alternative to a fridge. Bring a crock pot to cook. Maybe even a camp stove or burner. Those people should rent accommodations suitable for their plans.

People who define "magic" as the ability to walk from the CR to the MK. Walk (or boat) from EPCOT resorts to two different parks. See the MK from you balcony at the CR. Charge back to your room. Magically have your transportation taken care of from the time you land at MCO to the time DME takes you back to MCO. Magically have their purchases sent back to their resort.

"Magic has a price $$$". People can certainly get better value staying offsite vacation homes and timeshare/condo resorts.

Lower priced offsite hotels aren't the bargain they were a few years ago. Disney parking is up to $14 per day. Rental cars are up. Offsite hotels now charge resort fees and/or parking fees.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #34
bakie21
Go Phins

Offsite less magic Yes.
bakie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #35
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbear425 View Post
Keep in mind when staying off site, room prices might seem cheaper, but most hotels down there charge insane daily resort fees along with parking fees. You will also have to pay the $14 daily rate to park in any of the parks.
OK

My last stay.

Fairfield Inn. $75 a night
No other fees or charges

Disney "value" for the same weekend $120

Hmm... Add in parking and I would still be saving $31 a night. Plus I had a King bed without paying extra, free breakfast, interior corridors and a hotel company that rewards me for staying.

Sort but I don't get much "magic" when I do the comparison
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #36
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
I don't think my post reads the way I intended. I think many people will have a more enjoyable vacation if they say offsite. That's particularly true for people who would put a family of 4 (or more) in Disney room. Particularly true if you're willing to forgo hotel amenities such as daily maid service, room service, bell services etc. Occasionally I'll read budget suggestions. Four (sometimes sneak 5 or even 6) in a value. Ice in the tub as an alternative to a fridge. Bring a crock pot to cook. Maybe even a camp stove or burner. Those people should rent accommodations suitable for their plans.

People who define "magic" as the ability to walk from the CR to the MK. Walk (or boat) from EPCOT resorts to two different parks. See the MK from you balcony at the CR. Charge back to your room. Magically have your transportation taken care of from the time you land at MCO to the time DME takes you back to MCO. Magically have their purchases sent back to their resort.
"Magic has a price $$$". People can certainly get better value staying offsite vacation homes and timeshare/condo resorts.

Lower priced offsite hotels aren't the bargain they were a few years ago. Disney parking is up to $14 per day. Rental cars are up. Offsite hotels now charge resort fees and/or parking fees.
Maybe there is "magic" at a deluxe hotel. I didn't feel the "magic" at POR.
I slept in an uncomfortable cheap bed. showered in a tiny shower and dried off with scratchy little towels.

I walked to the crowded food court for my morning coffee and breakfast.

I waited on long lines to pack into a crowded buses that drove about 2 miles an hour. Driving, even if to an offsite resort, can be much quicker!

The "magic" for me is in the parks. Walking down main street, watching the fireworks, riding the rides, etc. It didn't find POR magical at all.

We don't shop, so no purchases to send back to the room.

We use our credit card for points, so I didn't need to charge things back to the room.

We did love Bob in the lounge, carriage ride, taking the boat to DTD. It was nice to have a few drinks because we didn't have to drive!
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #37
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
Charge back to your room.
Slightly OT, but I've never understood why this one is a big deal. I can give the hotel my credit card, use my KTTW as if it were a credit card, and sweep charges at the end (or, if I'm a big spender, each time I hit the charging limit). Or, I can use the credit card directly.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #38
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Quote:
Of course it will be less "magical". Onsite resorts can be walkable to parks (CR, BC/YC BWV, BWI). They can offer "special" transportation to parks (WL, POLY, GF). They offer special wake up calls and special toiletries. Souvenirs can be sent to your resort.

The question is if the fact that offsite places generally offer more for your money is enough to offset that. Post in this forum and the consensus will probably be yes. Post in the resorts forum and the consensus will probably be no.

PP already discussed the pros and cons. Onsite is the only option, JMO, if you're unable (or unwilling) to drive.
agreed.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #39
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
Slightly OT, but I've never understood why this one is a big deal. I can give the hotel my credit card, use my KTTW as if it were a credit card, and sweep charges at the end (or, if I'm a big spender, each time I hit the charging limit). Or, I can use the credit card directly.
It's not a BIG deal. It does mean you have one less card to carry. It lets you give your kids charging privileges without giving them a credit card. It will be a slightly bigger deal when the wrist band is introduced. Not only won't you need to carry a wallet, you won't need to carry any cards.

No it's not a big deal. EMH and transportation (including DME) are probably the biggest DEAL with an on site stay. Perks like charging and package delivery are much much lower on any list.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #40
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbear425 View Post
I disagree with your statement that "most hotels charge insane daily resort fees along with parking fees."

This is incorrect. I would say the minority of resorts (25%???) charge parking or resort fees. They do seem to be getting slightly more common (take the beloved Wyndham Bonnett Creek and their daily $12 transportation fee), but most of the non-DTD resorts do not charge extra fees. And those that do, it usually still makes the resort cheaper than staying in site even when you add in parking and rental car vs paying Disney rates and having to pay to eat Disney food for each meal.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #41
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
OK

My last stay.

Fairfield Inn. $75 a night
No other fees or charges

Disney "value" for the same weekend $120

Hmm... Add in parking and I would still be saving $31 a night. Plus I had a King bed without paying extra, free breakfast, interior corridors and a hotel company that rewards me for staying.

Sort but I don't get much "magic" when I do the comparison

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #42
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGirl84

I disagree with your statement that "most hotels charge insane daily resort fees along with parking fees."

This is incorrect. I would say the minority of resorts (25%???) charge parking or resort fees. They do seem to be getting slightly more common (take the beloved Wyndham Bonnett Creek and their daily $12 transportation fee), but most of the non-DTD resorts do not charge extra fees. And those that do, it usually still makes the resort cheaper than staying in site even when you add in parking and rental car vs paying Disney rates and having to pay to eat Disney food for each meal.
Another view.

First weekend in March

Disney wants $401 a night for Beach Club. Standard room.

Swan/Dolphin $286 a night

Waldorf $303

Resort fees and parking don't add up to $100 a night. LOL
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #43
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter

Another view.

First weekend in March

Disney wants $401 a night for Beach Club. Standard room.

Swan/Dolphin $286 a night

Waldorf $303

Resort fees and parking don't add up to $100 a night. LOL
Waldorf $25 resort fee $24 parking fee $14 Disney parking fee
I think BC and Waldorf are 4* but I think BC is as close to a 3* as waldorf is to being 5*
Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #44
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Waldorf $25 resort fee $24 parking fee $14 Disney parking fee
I think BC and Waldorf are 4* but I think BC is as close to a 3* as waldorf is to being 5*
And,,,, you still save $35 a night.

For a hotel that FAR exceeds anything Disney has in quality and service. Plus you can take their transport to the parks which is pretty good

I had an OUTSTANDING stay at the Waldorf with service that was magical. And you can use the great pool at the Hilton with features that rival Beach Club's pool

So why should I pay $400..... those rooms are so overpriced
Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #45
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

love disney - also love offsite.

now if I didn't have DVC - probably most of my trips would be offsite - especially in this economy.

when staying offsite use my other timeshare II or get an extra vacation w/rci.

now have stayed much cheaper at Motel 6 and Loved it.

that say have stayed at BLT and gotten up to see the castle on the balcony - well nothing offsite beats that.

walking back to your room when the monorail, ferry and buses have an extra long line - yet that helps too.

then again if I had to pay rack rate or even greatly discount for BLT could not afford it.

the magic is in you - your trip onsite or offsite can be magic - just depends upon you.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote