Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #16
7165red
DIS Veteran

We stayed on and off site but once we rented a villa there was no going back to a one room on site. Most villas will have one or two bedroom done in Disney décor.
7165red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

Stitch, I'm in a very similar situation to you. Honeymooned in WDW...love WDW...and have a baby on the way. Congrats on your pregnancy!

I have always dreamed about taking my future baby to WDW. I always said that I would pay the money to stay on-site with a child at a hotel on the Monorail loop for easy access to the MK.

I stayed at the WL for two nights on my honeymoon and the rest off-site. The WL was wonderful, but gosh, the room was small and the price was steep! I loved it, but I would not have been thrilled to pay all that money for an entire week there.

Anyways, I always said I would rent DVC points to stay at Bay Lake Towers. Walking my little one over to the MK in the stroller, coming back for naps, etc sounded like a dream.

Then I stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek last Sept. 3 bedroom unit for me and DH, Mom and Sister, and MIL. I absolutely loved it. The room was huge, we were close to the parks (with option to take a shuttle), loved the full kitchen and loved all the pools.

I did a price comparison between the two. A studio at BLT would be over $2000 for the week, assuming $10-11 per point. A 1 bedroom at Wyndham Bonnet Creek can be had for far under $1000--I'm seeing listings on eBay for 650-800 for a week.

As much as I'd love to stay at the Contemporary, I just could not justify paying more than double the cost. It's absolutely within our means to pay for the points to do DVC...I just couldn't justify it when I liked WBC so much.

With the group you are traveling with, you could book a 3-4 bedroom for around 1200 a week and all be very comfortable.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #18
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

Also, a villa or condo and Windsor Hills would likely be a very good fit for your family.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #19
ryalluvdiz
Mouseketeer

We are renting a large house for our 14 day trip in june. There are 6 adults and 6 kids so we wanted some space and meals outside of the World. We have a 6 bedroom house with a pool for $2400 for 14 days. I cant imagine staying for that long in a tiny hotel room!
Old 02-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #20
Pembo
OH-IO

Have stayed both onsite and offsite. It is definitely a different vacation when we were offiste. We saved a lot of money, we ate better, we relaxed more, and we enjoyed driving to the parks everyday in our own car.

This year we have to go at spring break. We opted to stay onsite because we'll utilize the morning extra magic hours.

My opinion is that offsite does not = less magic, just different magic.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #21
mikkiwikki
DIS Veteran

offsite all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
I will wholeheartedly agree .

For our August trip, we are getting a two bedroom, two bathroom villa with a screened patio, full kitchen and three flat screen TV's at a resort that offers 7 pools, multiple hot tubs, tennis, volleyball, basketball, and mini golf for the same price as a Disney value.

In my opinion, that's "magic".
Totally agree. We are shopping for condos now for our august trip.
We used to be die hard onsite fanatics. However as our family has grown...values/mods dont cut it...AND the deluxes are just ridiculously priced.
SO...Unless you can get some fabulous price on a deluxe...(did once at contemp but the fact is you are still in a single room with your entire family...that one point is decidely not magic for us - )
The bennies from onsite dont work for us....EMH...we usually avoid parks that have EMHs...not more magic...usually more crowded - at *least* that has been our consistent experience.
And the 5 dollar coupon for planet hollywood and golf we never use.
My Trippies:
2008 ThanksGiving TR POP-O-LICIOUS / CR Summer 2011 POLYTASTIC EXTRAVAGANZA
2011- Christmas in Orlando WindsorHills XtraVaGanZa
2012 - SUMMER POP & Windsor Hills
mikkiwikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #22
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
I have begun to feel a LOT less magical on site. When I look at the room quailty, features etc it's not magical to realize "I AM BEING RIPPED OFF"
Once you get past the theme you may start to realize these rooms are not that nice for the price I paid. Some people seem to be able to accept the "it's Disney, pay more and receive less" model and feel "magic" but... I feel disillusionment LOL!

We did our first onsite trip last February. We stayed at POR and I was expecting the room to be on par with a Hampton or Holiday Inn express and it was not. It was very small and had very cheap sheets and towels.

The bus system was very slow! Driving can be faster!

It had some good points as well, especially because we had the free dining.

But we weren't sold on the "onsite" or nothing!
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #23
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Of course it will be less "magical". Onsite resorts can be walkable to parks (CR, BC/YC BWV, BWI). They can offer "special" transportation to parks (WL, POLY, GF). They offer special wake up calls and special toiletries. Souvenirs can be sent to your resort.

The question is if the fact that offsite places generally offer more for your money is enough to offset that. Post in this forum and the consensus will probably be yes. Post in the resorts forum and the consensus will probably be no.

PP already discussed the pros and cons. Onsite is the only option, JMO, if you're unable (or unwilling) to drive.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #24
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoney

We did our first onsite trip last February. We stayed at POR and I was expecting the room to be on par with a Hampton or Holiday Inn express and it was not. It was very small and had very cheap sheets and towels.

The bus system was very slow! Driving can be faster!

It had some good points as well, especially because we had the free dining.

But we weren't sold on the "onsite" or nothing!
The room quality was very disappointing to me in all three of the onsite resorts we stayed in. The value was on par with a motel 6 the moderate was still on par with a cheaper room perhaps a Days Inn and the deluxe was similar to a best Western but not as nice as a comfort suite we recently stayed at and of course the POLY was significantly more expensive. In the real world the moderate and value resorts are motels and only the delux qualify as hotels because they do have the indoor corridors.

We are staying off site for our next trip and so we will be able to see if there really is any "magic" missing.

Fwiw we always believed a hotel was just a place to lay our heads until the stay at ASMU. Changed our minds quick.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #25
mikkiwikki
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keacc View Post
I love missing the the Disney Magic!
1 The magic of how they put the Disney name on a Days Inn room and call it a value resort, but it costs more than a cheap off site room.
2 The magic of WDW transportation, when after waiting an eternity for a bus, how they can pack 50 people into a bus for 30.
3 The magic of Disney making your money disappear fast for run of the mill food. Paying $8 for a burger that is equivalent to McDonalds.
I'll pass on the magic. We either rent a house or condo offsite and have more fun.
agree.
after many unmagical bus rides...im done with onsite.
I have every confidence if Walt were around things would change.
He painted the walkways red because we were supposed to be guests.
Hard to feel like a guest when Im forced to sit my child on a dirty bus floor.
My Trippies:
Old 02-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #26
mikkiwikki
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
Of course it will be less "magical".
Respectfully disagree.
We always find a condo that is themed with Disney memorabilia throughout.
Most are loaded with Disney movies...and when everyone SLEEPS well because you are not ontop of one another all the time.

That - my friend - is PRICELESS magic...anyway you slice it.
We enjoy our vacation ...our time that is supposed to be 'recharging our batteries' - Infinitely more off site.

Take this from a Poly "kid" who went to the poly more times than ARE listed in my siggie

Went back recently and was sorely dissapointed. EVen the POLY! They have added longhouses since the 80s and it no longer feels intimate - and you no longer get the special attention I enjoyed as a child. And I SO wanted to feel the magic there....I had so many special memories...
My Trippies:
Old 02-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #27
rackerlee92
Mouseketeer

just returned from WH

Just wanted to post a quick comment about our stay at WH vs onsite....

Our kids (DD12, DD14) LOVED our WH townhouse. They loved it so much that going to the parks was hard to do. Each girl had their own bedroom and DH and I had a wonderful king size bed in the master bedroom. Even though the townhouse only has a smallish splashpool, my DD12 loved swimming there. We offered to go down to the clubhouse pool, but she declined.

This was our 5th visit to WDW, and perhaps our last for a few years...but we will likely return to WH or a similar offsite community in the near future. Maybe have a more relaxing vacation that way.

The townhouse was rented through vacation central florida and was beautiful. We did have some loudish neighbors, but nothing more than we would have if we would stay in a hotel.

The condo that DH and I stayed in last fall I found on vrbo. That condo was very nice as well.

When staying onsite, we stayed at AKL, POR and POFQ. With the four of us, we often had difficulty sleeping in the same room, often got on each others nerves because we were ALWAYS together, had to eat all of our meals at either CS or TS and relied on the busses.

I was very unsure about making the off-site decision, which is why DH and I did a quick trip in the fall to check out WH before taking the girls there. I am so glad we tried this.

Again, good luck on your decision

upcoming - Sunset Lakes Dec 14/Jan 15
Sunset Lakes Dec 13/Jan 14, Windsor Hills January 2013, Windsor Hills September 2012, POFQ February 2012, POR September 2010, DLR November 2009, AKL January 2008, POR October 2007
rackerlee92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #28
aleksandr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
I have begun to feel a LOT less magical on site. When I look at the room quailty, features etc it's not magical to realize "I AM BEING RIPPED OFF"
Once you get past the theme you may start to realize these rooms are not that nice for the price I paid. Some people seem to be able to accept the "it's Disney, pay more and receive less" model and feel "magic" but... I feel disillusionment LOL!
Couldn't agree more! I've only ever stayed on-site once, at an All-Stars Value resort for a couple of days until our timeshare was ready. Granted it's a value, but the rooms are cramped and the value is just not there for me. You get what is essentially a motel 8 room for the price of a night in a Courtyard or Hampton Inn.

I'll take my 2BR condo off-site any day of the week.

As for food, aside from a couple of character meals for the kid to enjoy we mostly eat off-site as well. There are some interesting Disney restaurants, but a lot of it is not much higher quality than your standard sit-down chain places except 2-3x as much money. And unfortunately, long since gone are the days when you could call same-day for a reservation to a place like Le Cellier and get it. We are very much spur of the moment people, so planning meals 6 months in advance is not our cup of tea.

You can't beat Disney Restaurants for the superior theming and ambiance though, but I'm not sure its worth paying twice as much for the meal just to enjoy the atmosphere...
aleksandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #29
Hasil72
DIS Veteran

OP, we've done the grandparents, extended family trip before when the kids were 1 and 5. There were pros and cons to the fabulous villa we rented. Def more pros than cons though. Everyone had their own space, own bathrooms, it had a nursery for my daughter and playroom for my son. We all enjoyed the pool and screened lanai to kick back after the parks. The only con was we were the only ones with transportation so if one of us wanted/needed to go back to the villa, everyone had to either come with or take a taxi. On the flip side, had we stayed onsite, transportation wouldn't have been a concern.

That being said, if transportation isn't an issue, there are some great 4BR/4BA houses within a few miles of WDW. All single story and most will have at least 1 BR with a Disney theme. Depending on your brother's disability, some are handicapped accessible if you need it. DS is on the Autism spectrum and we find offsite much more relaxing for him.

Good luck whatever you decide!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #30
pmpdchef
Earning My Ears

Oh no, a vote for On-Site

Sounds like I'm one for the dissenting vote. If all family members were non-handicapped, I'd stay off site in an instant.

However, like the last poster, I too have a child with a disability. Her disability is physical and that alone is what dictates to me that we "need" to stay onsite. We've considered off-site for the price factor. Man, that sure would be nice. We could have a long stay at Holiday Inn or Mariott on points and not pay much at all for lodging. But, location and mainly transportation is the big deciding factor for us.

Getting our dd's wheelchair and/or walker on the Magic Express, monorail, boats, and buses is so easy and fast. I can't even imagine the headache of staying off-site and trying to get to and from parks in a timely manner. I've heard too many horror stories from guest with handicapped and non-handicapped guests staying off-site. Not to mention, renting cars, driving and having a handicapped sticker to only find out that all the handicapped parking spots are already taken in the parks. I've heard that too much unfortunately. Sounds real fun to me.

We fly in. And, renting a car or van for a wheelchair and 6 people's luggage would be next to impossible. We'd need 2. That is not a family vacation to us at all.

We aren't there for the pools necessarily or to relax in a "big" room. We can do that at any Holiday Inn or Mariott we choose back home. We are there for the fun, excitement, rides, food and the parks.

So, I would suggest think of your brother. What are his needs and what would make it easier on him and those people getting him from point A to B. If his is a physical hadicap, on-site is the only way to go IMHO.