Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Offsite = Less Magic?

DH and I are having our first child this year. BOTH sets of grandparents have hinted that they want to take a big family Disney trip next year.

As an adult I've always stayed on site to get the most magic. As a kid we stayed offsite and I never noticed less magic, but the hotels and restaurants aren't built up to what they are now.

So do you think a trip can still be magical if you stay and eat offsite? Do you lose that special something? We could probably afford on site, but I wonder if it is worth the money for a baby who won't know the difference. I just don't want our parents or my handicapped brother to miss out because we want to save money.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

There's a lot of information about off-site hotels on our Orlando Hotels & Attractions forum. I'm going to move this thread over there, so you get a larger response.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
I just don't want our parents or my handicapped brother to miss out because we want to save money.
are you sure your hc DB is coming?

if so - stay onsite - Disney is designed for the hc - with their bus system. trying to take him and back forth in your van can be a pain.

you can get more opinions (and probably better ones) here
http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

to answer your other questions - Disney is great onsite - but it is pretty nice - offsite.

stayed at both - most of the time on the same trip

just depends

some people love offsite and stay there all the time - others won't stay unless it is onsite. It is your vacation - and your choice.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

There are three things you might want in Disney lodging:

1: To be onsite.
2: To have a reasonable amount of space.
3: To spend a reasonable amount of money.

You can't have all three at the same time (unless your definition of "reasonable" is much different than mine), so you have to decide which one you are most willing to give up.

Personally, I do not find my offsite trips to be all that much different from my onsite ones. Other people would rather just not go if they weren't staying onsite. It's hard to know which sort of person you are until you do them both.

There are some things I like a little more about the onsite trips---for example, that I can have a second margarita at La Cava and Disney will drive me home. The offsite places, in contrast, tend to be a lot nicer for the money.

Finally, you don't need to eat offsite if you stay offsite. In fact, you often probably won't. We typically have breakfast in our condo (either onsite in a DVC unit, or offsite somewhere). We head to the parks early, and stay through lunch and a little later. We come back for a break---easy to do offsite or on---and then head out for dinner and an evening out. That's often back at a Disney location.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
DH and I are having our first child this year. BOTH sets of grandparents have hinted that they want to take a big family Disney trip next year.

As an adult I've always stayed on site to get the most magic. As a kid we stayed offsite and I never noticed less magic, but the hotels and restaurants aren't built up to what they are now.

So do you think a trip can still be magical if you stay and eat offsite? Do you lose that special something? We could probably afford on site, but I wonder if it is worth the money for a baby who won't know the difference. I just don't want our parents or my handicapped brother to miss out because we want to save money.
I have begun to feel a LOT less magical on site. When I look at the room quailty, features etc it's not magical to realize "I AM BEING RIPPED OFF"
Once you get past the theme you may start to realize these rooms are not that nice for the price I paid. Some people seem to be able to accept the "it's Disney, pay more and receive less" model and feel "magic" but... I feel disillusionment LOL!
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
quagmire0
Mouseketeer

This is coming from someone who has never stayed onsite, but two things:

1. If you've stayed onsite previously, then you've experienced that and really won't be missing anything. In fact, your memories will more than likely be better than your actual experience this time around.

2. To me, aside from saving money, possibly eating healthier, and having A LOT more room to stretch in a condo/townhome/rental home, escaping the madness of Disney and returning to a quiet oasis is a nice thing.

Now, if you have considerations in regards to someone with a handicap, then that can weigh heavily on your decision. But, as much as Disney may be built for that, you could also say that a rental home might offer more comfort for someone in that situation as well.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
I have begun to feel a LOT less magical on site. When I look at the room quailty, features etc it's not magical to realize "I AM BEING RIPPED OFF"
Once you get past the theme you may start to realize these rooms are not that nice for the price I paid. Some people seem to be able to accept the "it's Disney, pay more and receive less" model and feel "magic" but... I feel disillusionment LOL!
I will wholeheartedly agree .

For our August trip, we are getting a two bedroom, two bathroom villa with a screened patio, full kitchen and three flat screen TV's at a resort that offers 7 pools, multiple hot tubs, tennis, volleyball, basketball, and mini golf for the same price as a Disney value.

In my opinion, that's "magic".

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
ForMyBoys
Mouseketeer

We will be staying off-site this time in April. But we have never stayed on-site so take my advice for what its worth. I did, however, visit my friends at the poly last time, we ate there at the CS place and swam in the pool with them. While the pool was nice their room was so small and there were so many people. Waiting in line to get food made me crazy. I did really like the tram though. Anyway, after seeing the comparison I felt like I had really made a good decision to stay offsite. Our offsite rented house was actually closer to the parks then some of the disney hotels. 3 miles. So if you stay offsite make sure you stay close... that is key.

I don't think my kids even noticed being offsite, honestly what they loved most was the pool at our rental house..... in my opinion that was magical. We also rented a car. And it was magical not to have to wait for transport. We already wait in line all day for rides, knowing you can jump in your own car and get where you want when you want to get there is priceless. Even if I stayed on-site I'd rent a car.

But we are also a family that doesn't spend every day at the parks, more like every other day. That way we can get some time to relax, dip in the pool, maybe watch a movie together or explore DTD

This trip I am doing some additional things to make it more magical for my kids. Easy things, like themed invitations and letters from disney characters. I booked a character breakfast at the poly on one of the days off and we are going to ride the monorails. So you can still experience much of the disney magic without staying in their undersized/overpiced hotels.
ForMyBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
I will wholeheartedly agree .

For our August trip, we are getting a two bedroom, two bathroom villa with a screened patio, full kitchen and three flat screen TV's at a resort that offers 7 pools, multiple hot tubs, tennis, volleyball, basketball, and mini golf for the same price as a Disney value.

In my opinion, that's "magic".
ITA with these posters!!!!!!!!!! We LOVE off-site!

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
Abharmagic
DIS Veteran

Don't drink the on-site Kool-Aid-- offsite can be JUST as magical, way less expensive, and you can find much nicer accommodations than WDW resorts. Enjoy and have fun!!!
April 2013
Next Trip- Labor Day 2014- SeaWorld- Aquatica- Legoland- MNSSHP- Can't wait!
Abharmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Keacc
Mouseketeer

I love missing the the Disney Magic!
1 The magic of how they put the Disney name on a Days Inn room and call it a value resort, but it costs more than a cheap off site room.
2 The magic of WDW transportation, when after waiting an eternity for a bus, how they can pack 50 people into a bus for 30.
3 The magic of Disney making your money disappear fast for run of the mill food. Paying $8 for a burger that is equivalent to McDonalds.
I'll pass on the magic. We either rent a house or condo offsite and have more fun.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

The so called "magic" is what you make it...staying on site or off.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

With kids it's so much nicer to stay in a condo with bedrooms. It's nice to be able to put the kids to bed in their own room and still be able to watch tv ect. In the living room.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
jeff968
DIS Veteran

I saw a Disney commercial just today pointing out what guests look for on their trips (parks, night time, the pool). If relaxing and enjoying the pool is your definition of magic then you'll find it many places in orlando. That is the magic we come down for now, that Beautiful Florida sun, and it works just as well at the Marriott as it does in Disney.

14 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD, MIL)
13, 12, 11 Hilton Parc Soleil (DW, DD with us, 2 in college)
10 Marriott Newport beach villas, California (DW, 3 kids)
09 Marriott Horizons (DW, 2 kids, MIL)
08 Marriott Cypress Harbor/Grand Vista (2 kids)
07 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
06 Marriott Imperial Palm (DW, 3 kids, MIL, cousin)
05 Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
04 Vistana Villages/Marriott Cypress Harbor (3 kids)
03 AKL/Orange Lake (3 kids)
02 HGVC Seaworld (3 kids)
01 Vistana Resort (3 kids)
00 Radisson Resort Pkwy (3 kids)
97 Radisson Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
95 Sheraton Resort Pkwy (2 kids)
93 Dixie Landings (2 kids)
92 Port Orleans (1 child)
86 Sheraton world (the wife & I)
73 Can't remember (M&D&B&S&GM)
jeff968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
MOpGrad2013
DIS Veteran

Thank You...

...OP for asking the question.

...for all the answers.

...for reassuring me that we made the best decision for our large family.

Residence Inn LBV is giving us $25 DisDollars for each of our nights.

Good Luck OP on your decision.

MOpGrad2013 is offline   Reply With Quote