Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
tmrose03
Mouseketeer

Secret Verandah

Has anyone gotten one, and wished they had paid more and gotten a regular verandah. We will be on the wonder for 4 nights so the difference is around $200. Should we just keep the money in our pocket or is the obstruction really bad enough you wish, you had a regular verandah? Thanks!

Jan. 2014 Our First DCL Cruise-Wonder

April 2015 Our 2nd WDW Trip

tmrose03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmrose03 View Post
Has anyone gotten one, and wished they had paid more and gotten a regular verandah. We will be on the wonder for 4 nights so the difference is around $200. Should we just keep the money in our pocket or is the obstruction really bad enough you wish, you had a regular verandah? Thanks!
The obstruction is barely noticable (at least on deck 7; I haven't been in one on deck 6) and actually gave us a smidge more shade from the direct sunlight. We actually DOWNGRADED to this room from a regular verandah once we realized it was available. We loved having one of these rooms and would happily book again except we are now a family of four and they only sleep three. Keep it and spend the $200 on the ship... or on rebooking a secret verandah again.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
jenf22
DIS Veteran

We had 7620 on our first cruise and LOVED it. I tried to downgrade to it on our last cruise, but it was never available. We liked the location so much we went with 7618. You can't go wrong with deck 7 aft, in my opinion. I don't know about deck 6 though...
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
The obstruction is barely noticable (at least on deck 7; I haven't been in one on deck 6) and actually gave us a smidge more shade from the direct sunlight. We actually DOWNGRADED to this room from a regular verandah once we realized it was available. We loved having one of these rooms and would happily book again except we are now a family of four and they only sleep three. Keep it and spend the $200 on the ship... or on rebooking a secret verandah again.
We've been in the deck 6 one, three times. No problems with the obstruction.
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Prose
DIS Veteran

We were in a deck 6 SV room on the Wonder to Alaska - here is a photo of DD watching the scenery go by. That little curved wall in the upper right is about all of the obstruction we had. Totally worth the savings.

Disney Cruise on the WONDER March '08
WONDER cruise to Alaska June '11
Awesome trip to WDW October 2012 MNSSHP
Sailed the Eastern on the Fantasy 10/19/13
Sailed the Western on the Fantasy 10/11/14
Prose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Does Deck 7 aft vibrate at night when the thrusters are on?

My biggest issue with aft rooms are the vibrating/noises that interrupt sleep. Thx.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prose View Post
We were in a deck 6 SV room on the Wonder to Alaska - here is a photo of DD watching the scenery go by. That little curved wall in the upper right is about all of the obstruction we had. Totally worth the savings.

Is that a navigators verandah?
I'm sorry I have never heard of a secret verandah before.
Thanks for clarifying for me.
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Luv_Tink
Mouseketeer

We had one of the deck 6 ones on our Alaska cruise last summer and barely noticed the obstruction, it was so slight. I wouldn't hesitate to book one of these rooms again.

On deck 6 I didn't notice any noise or vibrating from the thrusters.

Previous Trips: 2000 Honeymoon at WDW Polynesian & Disney Wonder; 2003 Wilderness Lodge; 2004 Christmas at AKL & GF; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2006 Disneyland; 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska

In the Works: Christmas in the FW Cabins! Dec 13-26
Luv_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay View Post
Is that a navigators verandah?
I'm sorry I have never heard of a secret verandah before.
Thanks for clarifying for me.
That picture is of a regular verandah room that has been classified as a navigator's verandah because of a very minor obstruction; hence why it's called "secret". You need to know the room number in order to know whether or not you got it. There are only four secret verandah rooms on each of the classic ships. A true navigator's verandah is enclosed with an open-air porthole.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
That picture is of a regular verandah room that has been classified as a navigator's verandah because of a very minor obstruction; hence why it's called "secret". You need to know the room number in order to know whether or not you got it. A true navigator's verandah is enclosed with an open-air porthole.
Looks good to me!!!!!
Can I ask what category that is?

Thanks
Lori
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
tmrose03
Mouseketeer

OK Thanks everyone!! I will keep what we have.

Jan. 2014 Our First DCL Cruise-Wonder

April 2015 Our 2nd WDW Trip

tmrose03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I've stayed in the partially obstructed verandahs on the Magic and would do it again in a heartbeat. The obstruction was there, but it was certainly no big deal. In the cabin we had, I'm not even sure I would have noticed it had I not known that I'd gotten the reduced price.

These cabins were originally classed as 5s and 6s, but were re-classified as 7s due to the partial obstruction to view. They are the clear plexiglass verandahs. In each, there is a piece of metal that forms part of the structure of the ship, so you don't have a totally full, complete view.

As to thruster vibration--yeah, all aft cabins have some of this. But you are talking about 10 minutes or less when the ship docks. It isn't a big deal.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay View Post
Looks good to me!!!!!
Can I ask what category that is?

Thanks
Lori
Just so there's no misunderstanding: that picture above is not a typical navigator's verandah (Cat 7A). That is what a Cat 5 looks like with the exception of where the ship's design curves over slightly, and someone once upon a time complained, and so they now have added it the inventory of 7As. But unless you book one of the four specific rooms that are former Cat 5s, you will get a traditional Navigator's Verandah that looks like this:

Also, these are 7As only on the Magic and Wonder. 7As on the Dream and Fantasy are a whole different ball game.

Last edited by Meghatron; 01-31-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
JacksGirlz
DIS Veteran

Was just able to switch my parents 7A navigators verandah room to a "secret verandah" room on our Alaska cruise. They have been in room 7120, another SV room, in the past and felt the small obstruction was way worth the price compared to a category 5.

May 2006- Wilderness Lodge-1st trip to WDW, December 2006- Pop Century, October 2007- SSR and MNSSHP, November 2007- 1st Disney Cruise , January 2008 - SSR, Boardwalk, October 2008 - Pop Century and MNSSHP, March 2009 - Pop Century, May 2009 - VWL, December 2010-Pop Century and 1st MVMCP, March 2011- Disney Dream and SSR, January 2012 - Disney Wonder, March 2012 - Disney Magic and POR Royal Guest Room, March 2013 - Disney Fantasy and AofA Resort Little Mermaid Room, June 2013 - ABD Germany, Once Upon a Fairytale, July 2013 - ABD - Ireland, the Emerald Isle, August 2013 - Disney Wonder, July 2014 - DIS Exclusive Backstage Magic ABD
JacksGirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:29 PM   #15
*pixie*
Mouseketeer

What are the cabin numbers that have that secret verandahs?

2013 - Alaska on the Wonder
2012 - BC, Eastern on the Fantasy, and Poly
2010 - AKL, MNSSHP, and the Wonder
2008 - Pop and MVMCP
*pixie* is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: