Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
lhazc
Earning My Ears

first of many ? from a newbie cruiser

hello all, our family has never cruised before but just booked on wonder for next oct. cant wait! Can anyone tell me if you are allowed to go to MDR for just dessert maybe or do you need to attend entire meal? we have late seating and from what I've read the meal can take a very long ...time, I don't want to miss the MDR altogether but wondered about getting a quick bite or room service then maybe having dessert in MDR? Of course servers would be tipped the same no matter, would this be allowed? thanks
lhazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
the_bUg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhazc View Post
hello all, our family has never cruised before but just booked on wonder for next oct. cant wait! Can anyone tell me if you are allowed to go to MDR for just dessert maybe or do you need to attend entire meal? we have late seating and from what I've read the meal can take a very long ...time, I don't want to miss the MDR altogether but wondered about getting a quick bite or room service then maybe having dessert in MDR? Of course servers would be tipped the same no matter, would this be allowed? thanks
Now, I've only been on 1 cruise and it was a Disney cruise on board the dream. We did find that the pacing of the meals in the MDR were a little slow. Moreover, and maybe it was just our server... we felt "pressured" to stay for more coarses than we wanted to and this was on more than 1 occasion.

Both my wife and myself are not the type to sit and enjoy a 1-1.5 hour meal (unless, of course it's at Palo or Remy) and typically we just do the main course and that is it. There is other things we'd rather be spending our time doing, such as getting in some pool/spa time while other ppl are dining/attending shows.

I'm pretty convinced the server was a part of the problem with our experience.
the_bUg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

You could definitely do this. Indeed, you could come for two desserts!

Let me mention a couple things. DCL schedules the dining and shows so that you would really not miss much by being at dinner. While each seating happens, the show is going on in the Walt Disney Theatre. Not much else is happening at either time. Now, if you want the time to sit and relax in your cabin or on deck, that is fair.

Also, I suggest you don't miss Animator's. Animator's is a great experience.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
lhazc
Earning My Ears

thank you, that sounds wonderful.
lhazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
You could definitely do this. Indeed, you could come for two desserts!

Let me mention a couple things. DCL schedules the dining and shows so that you would really not miss much by being at dinner. While each seating happens, the show is going on in the Walt Disney Theatre. Not much else is happening at either time. Now, if you want the time to sit and relax in your cabin or on deck, that is fair.

Also, I suggest you don't miss Animator's. Animator's is a great experience.
IF you are going to do this, you need to let your servers know. Dinner service is timed to coordinate courses in a server's dining area, and you don't want to throw them off by showing up. Also, unless you have a large party, you'll most likely be assigned to a table with another family, so don't want to hold up their service waiting for you to arrive.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: