Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
Cmbar
DIS Veteran

Crusiing with food allergies or Type 1 Diabetes

Hi were are a family that has two members with food issues. One child has a nut allergy the other adult has Type 1 Diabetes.

I plan on letting Disney know about the Nut Allergy but what about the Diabetic? He has to basically guess his carbs to adjust the insulin. So is there anything Disney can do to help with that? They don't offer carbs info right?

Any suggestions?
VGF August,2014, AKV Jambo Dec 2013, Wonder-Alaska Jul 13, Fantasy Jun-12, BCV Jan-11, Dream! Apr 3,2011, Western Magic DCL-Oct 30-2010,POP/BCV -June 10 SSR-Jan 10, BLT-Nov 09, POP June 09, All Star Sports Mar 09, Western Magic - Nov 08 SSR/Marriott Cypress Harbour Jul-08, GF-Nov 07, WL-Nov 06, CBR -Feb 06 POFQ/BWV -Feb 05, POP-Mar 04, DoubleTree DTD, Mar 03, POR-Mar 01 Dixie Landings (POR) HONEYMOON -Oct 1992

Cmbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

My dad is diabetic; we've never really noted on our reservation about it, and he just orders dinner without any special handling. He's a bit impossible and will go crazy with his carbs if we don't watch him. But they always offer sugar-free desserts and they're delicious.

As long as a diabetic is mindful of all the extra food available and checks their sugar often, my Dad has never had an issue. All of the walking and excursions typically keep him running low--even when he has sneaked some unauthorized goodies past us.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Spwhoney
Mouseketeer

My DS has peanut/nut allergies and we sailed on the Wonder. They were amazing when it came to his allergy. Everyone VERY aware of it, make sure you put it on the pre cruise papers you fill out. Peanut butter not allowed in any of the clubs. One CM called to make sure there wasn't any problem with him eating lunch in the club one day. I also remember there being sugar free stuff on the menus. They are very willing to work with you. DS want a cookie but we didn't know if nuts or not. Chef went and found him some cookies and delivered them himself.
Spwhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:01 AM   #4
UKDisTravellers
Earning My Ears

Epipens in the oceaneers lab/ edge

Hi SPWHoney
Could you let me know how the Oceaneers club/lab handle epipens? My 11 year old carries one, and is allergic to nuts (and to a lesser extent egg and kiwi - he is outgrowing his egg allergy, but we're not completely there yet...)
Are epipens handed over to the CM when kids enter the lab? My son is VERY ditzy - he is great at questioning food etc, but loses all his possessions, and if he was expected to carry his own epipen, he would lose it for sure!

Does anyone know how The Edge handle epipens ? We have the choice of Oceaneers or Edge ...

many thanks, and apologies for hijacking the thread!
UKDisTravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
MomoMama
Earning My Ears

epi-pen

When I was getting the Mickey band for our daughter, they asked allergy-related questions, like "Will she be at the club during the meal time?" and "Can she participate in the activities that handle food?" Another question they asked was if we wanted to leave our epi-pen at the club. We opted not to, but if we were to leave them there, CM would have have to keep them as our daughter was only 3.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
UKDisTravellers
Earning My Ears

Thanks MomoMama.

Anyone any ideas about the Edge?
Old 05-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Spwhoney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDisTravellers View Post
Hi SPWHoney
Could you let me know how the Oceaneers club/lab handle epipens? My 11 year old carries one, and is allergic to nuts (and to a lesser extent egg and kiwi - he is outgrowing his egg allergy, but we're not completely there yet...)
Are epipens handed over to the CM when kids enter the lab? My son is VERY ditzy - he is great at questioning food etc, but loses all his possessions, and if he was expected to carry his own epipen, he would lose it for sure!

Does anyone know how The Edge handle epipens ? We have the choice of Oceaneers or Edge ...

I cant even remember if I had asked about the epipen. We had it in our stateroom. Anyway, I made his allergies clear to everyone I could. They do make chocolate chip cookies in the older club, the one your son would most likely go to. We opted not to have my DS do that. He was only 5 so what he didn't know didn't hurt him. He liked the younger club better anyway. There were no nuts anywhere but Im sure you know the whole processed in a nut facility thing that almost all choc chips have. If you would feel more comfortable with it in the clubs than you could drop it off. Lunches in the club have NO peanuts or nuts anywhere. I would ask everyday what they were serving and they would tell me the full menu. Never a concern. I was comfortable with just having his pen in the room.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
Spwhoney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDisTravellers View Post
Hi SPWHoney

I bought a case for my sons epipen that can be slipped through a belt and worn on your hip. Maybe look into one of those for him if you would like him to have it with him.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #9
UKDisTravellers
Earning My Ears

Great idea, and thanks for all the info
Old 05-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
molly j
Earning My Ears

My son also has type 1 and an insulin pump. You're correct that Disney doesn't provide carb info. We've found the Calorie King app very helpful (or just the pocket calorie king book). It has the carb info for nearly everything, including restaurants, fast food, store brands, etc.

We've been on a couple Disney cruises since he was diagnosed 3 years ago, & carb estimating has been really easy. We also have brought small juice boxes (15 carbs) for lows. He'd usually drink some juice or have a carb/protein snack without carb-correcting before hitting the beach. Enjoy!
molly j is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: