Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

abnormal number od rides down

I'm here now and am surprised at how many rides have been down - not for maintenance but that went down at some point during the day. At MK yesterday POTC, BTMRR, and IASW all went down. Thankfully we just finished rides before the went down except for IASW...which once it was down it was down all day.

At AK today and EE is down...not sure when it's coming back online. Just seems like a lot this trip...
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshak22 View Post
I'm here now and am surprised at how many rides have been down - not for maintenance but that went down at some point during the day. At MK yesterday POTC, BTMRR, and IASW all went down. Thankfully we just finished rides before the went down except for IASW...which once it was down it was down all day.

At AK today and EE is down...not sure when it's coming back online. Just seems like a lot this trip...
Sorry your luck has not been better. Sometimes there are just bad days where things go wrong. Remember that it is not always mechanical. Sometimes guests that have behavioral brain lapses can cause the rides to stop and then it takes some time to reset everything. To be honest, I'm surprised they do as well as they do maintaining the rides. It seems the parks are always busy now and with the EMH leaves limited time to get regular maintenance completed.

I hope EE is back on line soon and you can avoid the stoppages for the rest of your vacation. Look at the bright side. I'm sitting in my office with rain and wind.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Very true!!! And I really can't complain because except for IASW yesterday our plans haven't really been disrupted. I have been more surprised than anything.

We're still having a blast!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

We were there last week and disappointed that Journey of the Little Mermaid was down most of the day........
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshak22 View Post
Very true!!! And I really can't complain because except for IASW yesterday our plans haven't really been disrupted. I have been more surprised than anything.

We're still having a blast!
Glad your having a great time! Say hi to Ivy for us.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
PSUGuy
Bill From PA

What's the 'normal' number of rides to be down?

Bill From PA

PSUGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUGuy View Post

Bill From PA
I'm surprised to hear you asking. I thought a long-time poster such as yourself was well versed in WDW breakdowns?

I think we have to distinguish here. There are ride true breakdowns- where the ride stops for hours or all day. There are also many other reasons for disruptions.

There are ride stoppages- where a disabled guest needs to board a ride, or has trouble, and the ride stops (usually for a few minutes).

There are also longer stops- maybe a person vomitted, maybe someone tripped and injured themselves- even if the ride was working properly, Disney may stop the ride to make sure nothing was broken. There are also plenty of stupid guests who do stupid things...

Unless you are behind the scenes, you don't really know which of the above is causing the stoppage.

All that said....we DO know Disney is implementing the new FP+ system. this is pure speculation on my part, but maybe that's part of what's happening.

Keep in mind the rides run more or less 365 days a year. Every visit, SOMETHING somwhere is not working poperly (1, 2, 3...YETI!!!!) A common one is the smoke rings heffalump in Pooh.

Still one more possibility (when some folks say 'breakdown') - and I'm thinking of IaSW in particular- is that the back end of the attraction regularly backs up. It's rare that it is actually closed. I trust that OP means it really was closed - but I have seen anumber of posts on the DIS where posters think because the end was backed up that was a breakdown. Simply put, all boat rides have a variable number of boats. If they have lots of boats, they get backed up.

As for true ride breakdowns, some trips we don't see any. Other trips, we've seen quite a few. For several years it seemed that Test Track was down more than it was up! RnRC also has fairly frequent stoppages. Last spring the monorail was down most of the week, but they never advertised that it was due ot consturction at the new GF DVC. We knew, but most staff did not make it clear that's what was happening.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyluv'r View Post
I'm surprised to hear you asking. I thought a long-time poster such as yourself was well versed in WDW breakdowns?

I think we have to distinguish here. There are ride true breakdowns- where the ride stops for hours or all day. There are also many other reasons for disruptions.

There are ride stoppages- where a disabled guest needs to board a ride, or has trouble, and the ride stops (usually for a few minutes).

There are also longer stops- maybe a person vomitted, maybe someone tripped and injured themselves- even if the ride was working properly, Disney may stop the ride to make sure nothing was broken. There are also plenty of stupid guests who do stupid things...

Unless you are behind the scenes, you don't really know which of the above is causing the stoppage.

All that said....we DO know Disney is implementing the new FP+ system. this is pure speculation on my part, but maybe that's part of what's happening.

Keep in mind the rides run more or less 365 days a year. Every visit, SOMETHING somwhere is not working poperly (1, 2, 3...YETI!!!!) A common one is the smoke rings heffalump in Pooh.

Still one more possibility (when some folks say 'breakdown') - and I'm thinking of IaSW in particular- is that the back end of the attraction regularly backs up. It's rare that it is actually closed. I trust that OP means it really was closed - but I have seen anumber of posts on the DIS where posters think because the end was backed up that was a breakdown. Simply put, all boat rides have a variable number of boats. If they have lots of boats, they get backed up.

As for true ride breakdowns, some trips we don't see any. Other trips, we've seen quite a few. For several years it seemed that Test Track was down more than it was up! RnRC also has fairly frequent stoppages. Last spring the monorail was down most of the week, but they never advertised that it was due ot consturction at the new GF DVC. We knew, but most staff did not make it clear that's what was happening.
I think you may have misinterpreted PSUGuy's tone.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
PSUGuy
Bill From PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
I think you may have misinterpreted PSUGuy's tone.
Yeah, I was just being a smart a&&. Slow day at work today!

Bill From PA

PSUGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUGuy View Post

Bill From PA
Haha - good point! I guess my subject line is somewhat subjective! I should say 'abnormal' for my experiences at the park

And good points mickeyluv'r. Haunted Mansion stopped twice but I assumed those were to let disabled passengers off and on. I do think POTR was only down a short time...we were stuck for a little bit at the very beginning as CMs were hurriedly doing something around us and then the ride started. IaSW was down from around 3:00 - closing. BTMRR stopped after we rode and looked to be down for a bit but I don't know the total down time...maybe we were jinxing all the rides - LOL!

EE was back up by the time we finished Dinosaur and walked back over!!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan

There was a post back in December commenting about the same thing. I also experienced it during Christmas week. It was the most amount of times I've been turned away from rides being down that I've ever had on any trip. Either the rides are getting buggy for whatever reason, or the crowds have been higher to the point where there's more stupidity going on.

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Albytaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

We were on BTMRR yesterday when it stopped. Today at DHS RnR has been down a couple times and so has ToT. It looks like right now only one 1 elevator is going so the lines are longer.

For the most part this week stoppages haven't bothered us too much luckily.

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: