Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Fastest way to get to port from wdw?

I would like to get to port early. From what I understand DCL transport gets you there around 12:30 to 1, correct? The limos are pricey. There's only 2 of us so almost $200 for a one way trip seems crazy.

Renting a car involves toll roads with long waits? Also, where would you pick up the car from at WDW? I'm traveling alone with a small child. Car rental sounds like a hassle. I can't leave my son to go get the car. I was hoping to avoid rental cars anyway.

Then I was thinking about leaving the parks and staying at the Hyatt MCO overnight and then catching a shuttle to port. That's sounding like a pain too. And just as expensive. Besides I have no idea how we'd get from the parks to the hotel. Any thoughts on this?

Should I just suck it up and pay for the limo service?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
I would like to get to port early. From what I understand DCL transport gets you there around 12:30 to 1, correct? The limos are pricey. There's only 2 of us so almost $200 for a one way trip seems crazy.

Renting a car involves toll roads with long waits? Also, where would you pick up the car from at WDW? I'm traveling alone with a small child. Car rental sounds like a hassle. I can't leave my son to go get the car. I was hoping to avoid rental cars anyway.

Then I was thinking about leaving the parks and staying at the Hyatt MCO overnight and then catching a shuttle to port. That's sounding like a pain too. And just as expensive. Besides I have no idea how we'd get from the parks to the hotel. Any thoughts on this?

Should I just suck it up and pay for the limo service?

Thanks in advance!
I would like to know the same thing!
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Unfortunately for 2 of you, likely the only cheaper option is a car rental. The break-even point with private car service/limo versus DCL transfers is around 3-4 people. So you probably need to choose between cost and other benefits (flexibility in arrival time, convenience, etc.). I would not say that car rental is that much of a hassle - we did it last spring. While we did need to wait in line at the airport, once through the paperwork process it was easy - the tolls were not a hassle, driving was not a hassle, we stayed in Cocoa Beach with an inexpensive hotel rate and arrived at the port on the first shuttle from the rental place (about 10:30/10:45am) for an 11:00-11:30 PAT.

Private car service or limo is likely to cost about the same as DCL transfers, but you can select your time, make a stop along the way (liquor store, grocery store, Walmart if needed). And it adds an air of "luxury" for the child.

DCL transfers from either WDW or MCO will cost the same ($35 one way per person, $70 round trip) but adds convenience in that they deal with your luggage and you get that "Disney" immersion with videos on the bus. If catching the bus at MCO, first bus leaves around 9:30am with arrival at PC around 10:30am; if leaving from WDW resorts your pick-up will likely be sometime between 11:30-12:30 with arrival at port around 1:30pm.

There's pros and cons to each option. You'll need to decide what is most preferred for you and your family.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

While there are tolls to be paid, I've never encountered a long wait. Probably the most we ever waited was behind 2 other cars. And most rental car companies offer cars equipped with a SunPass for no waiting at all (there is an additional fee for this).

It depends on what matters most in your travel--price or convenience.

You can take Magical Express back to the airport on your last night and stay at the Hyatt MCO or another airport area hotel...then do back to MCO in the morning to get the bus to the port. It's rather a pain to do this, but it works. It is a whole lot easier to pick up a rental car on the last afternoon or departure morning and drive yourself to Cape Canaveral....cost for us under $50 for a full size car.

I've never been able to justify a limo service for 2 of us. You might go to the cruise meet sections of the boards and meet up with another family leaving from WDW to the cruise terminal and share a limo service with that family (most companies will pick up from 2 resorts). That would make your cost a lot closer to DCL transfers.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Where do you get the rental car at WDW? How do you get to the rental car site from your hotel?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
erionm
DIS Veteran

Alamo and National are at both the Car Care Center near the MK and at the Dolphin. They have a shuttle that will take you to the Car Care Center location. A number of Hotels along Hotel Plaza Blvd have rentals located at them.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/discounts/dis...ion.htm#rental
http://allears.net/pl/rentcar.htm
Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Finally note that you should arrive to the port no earlier than your port arrival time. You might be denied entry until that time comes.

Driving takes about 45' and you have a few tolls. But you need to take into account the pickup and drop off times for the car. You might want to get the car the afternoon the day before.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Sounds like the limo is the best way to go and would actually be worth the extra cost. Everything else sounds harder. I need easy when traveling alone with my little one. I've always found the rental car process to be hard when it's just he and I and not worth the hassle and meltdowns that invariably ensue. Thank you for the helpful information.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
Billinaz
Waiting to spend time in our home away from home.. cabin 12506!

We have a Budget rental set up for a minivan from WDW to the port.

The Budget office is in the Doubletree hotel.

Its $70 for a minivan (taxes and fees included)

2015 and 2016 Aulani so no cruises on these years!

PAST CRUISES (13)
02/11/2004 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/03/2005 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 3 Day WDW and 4 Night Bahamas
02/04/2006 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Eastern
02/01/2007 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/04/2007 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 3 Night Bahamas
02/08/2008 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Eastern
02/07/2009 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Western
02/07/2010 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/27/2011 Dream Cabin 12506- & Cabana #3 Inaugural 4Night Bahamas
03/03/2011 Dream Cabin 12506- Missed CC - Inaugural 3 Night Bahamas
04/21/2012 Fantasy Cabin 12506 & Cabana #4- Inaugural 7 Night Eastern