Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #16
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDisney View Post
I thought the review seemed to focus on everything but the food.

I do not like the all day dinner menu.

Kevin is certainly free to organize and state whatever he wants as it is his review. I find reviews that are more objective and balanced more helpful.
I don't know how long you have been listening but Kevin's reviews are almost always like this. He reviews the experience as well as the food. The idea is that you pay for the "theming" and "experience" at a WDW restaurant, more so, perhaps, than at other restaurants.

I am a little curious at what you mean by "objective and balanced." All food reviews are subjective, Kevin's included (he has no hesitation in saying this). What did you find "unbalanced" about the review?

Last edited by jcb; 02-01-2013 at 10:40 AM.
jcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #17
WebmasterLeah

DISboards Moderator

Le Cellier is one of our favorite restaurants at WDW. We go on every trip (normally for lunch) and love the mushroom filet (sub the potatoes for the risotto). I'm not even really a steak eater, but this is one place that I love it! But, now that it's so expensive and the awesome burger at lunch is gone, I don't think we'll be going back nearly as often. I like the pretzel bread too, but those are really the only 3 things we eat there. I don't think the cheese soup is that great, unless I'm dipping my pretzel bread in it. I think the steak for lunch was $26 before. $43 is more than I'm willing to pay.

WebmasterLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #18
Quicklabs
DIS Veteran

Yep! Totally agree. Cheddar cheese soup and pretzel bread would be a great lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msteddom View Post
I wish they would open a counter service place in Canada. It would serve the bread, the soup, a few of the salads, the burger off the old lunch menu, and a few other cs appropriate items.

I've eaten at 66 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (27%)
Quicklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
IWISHFORDISNEY
Cant get enough of the mouse!
It was tricky with only one bathroom
I will never ever forget that embarrassing episode of being farted upon

Location: The First State but wishing it was the Sunshine State...

We used to go to LeCellier all the time but it is just to pricey now for that amount I can go to Yachtsman which is way better IMO.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #20
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

I just listened to the review and I had to agree 100%. My single Le Cellier meal was back in 2010 (before it became two table credits and Disney went to credit card holds for reservations), but I had MANY of the same reactions and even identical experiences. We, too, checked in, and while waiting for our table saw many, many people turned away without even a glance. Yet, when we got in, there were MANY empty tables that never filled during our entire meal. I remember distinctly there being 3-4 people at the check-in desk/table and they did nothing but chat to each other and turn away guests without a glance, until the trivia started after the entryway became so full they could no longer stuff a single person more into it. (There were about 6 seats for maybe 25 people.) Which made it even more weird to walk into a restaurant with so many empty tables.

The table was extremely small, even though we had 4, and we were so close to other diners we couldn't get out of our seats without asking them to stand (and vice versa). The service was lackluster, at best (our waitress disappeared for 45 minutes after giving us our entrees and only game after we flagged someone else down and sent a search party), and the food very much equivalent to an Outback (i.e. extremely boring and very salty) ... For (back then) double or triple the price.

We, too, paid out of pocket, though we were asked roughly 17 times (and this was everywhere we went, not just Le Cellier) if we were on the dining plan. It was like you could tell the same person 10 times and they still didn't believe you.

The best part of the restaurant was the pretty walk back to it, over the little bridge. And, at least on that very cold trip, the fact that it was warm.

As you can imagine, we've never returned. Have been to Bull and Bear though. And, honestly, it shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Le Cellier. Le Cellier is to Bull and Bear what Chili's is to the Frontera Grill. And I don't mean that snobbishly ... Just that I sincerely don't even think they're doing, or trying to do, the same thing.

PS: The dining reviews are my absolute favorite part of the podcast.

Last edited by coopersmom; 02-01-2013 at 11:12 AM.
coopersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #21
HootDad
Makes magical trips each year
I am now hooked. I want to do as many races as I can

The one time I went to LC was in January of 2011. This was the one and only time that I have ever used the dining plan. We went for lunch - it was one table service credit at the time. It was actually a good deal as a single credit for lunch, but again I just don't understand all the fuss. That said I do want to try the pretzels and cheese soup - maybe I'll go back for that!
Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/hootdad
I was on the podcast! Part 1: http://www.disunplugged.com/2013/07/...sneyland-show/
Part 2: http://www.disunplugged.com/2013/08/...sneyland-show/
Part 3: http://www.disunplugged.com/2013/08/...sneyland-show/

v9ve.png[/img][/url]
HootDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #22
ColoradoDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
I don't know how long you have been listening but Kevin's reviews are almost always like this. He reviews the experience as well as the food. The idea is that you pay for the "theming" and "experience" at a WDW restaurant, more so, perhaps, than at other restaurants.

I am a little curious at what you mean by "objective and balanced." All food reviews are subjective, Kevin's included (he has no hesitation in saying this). What did you find "unbalanced" about the review?
The thread was started encouraging feedback on the review.

I have been listening to the podcast for about 5 years, so I am pretty familiar with Kevin from a podcast personality perspective.

Having ate at Le Cellier multiple times, I just didn't find Kevin's review to be as helpful as it could be. He seemed to focus on some relatively petty items. The complaint about pricing could be leveraged against most of WDW in park restaurants. I would prefer to hear more about the food and less about the fact Le Cellier is in the basement. Of course Le Cellier means store room or basement (something close to that).

I don't hate Kevin. I am not going to stop listening to the reviews. I find the podcast entertaining, otherwise I would not listen. Someone asked what we thought and I simply gave me impression. I just found the review got side tracked onto minor issues.
ColoradoDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #23
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDisney View Post
The thread was started encouraging feedback on the review.

I have been listening to the podcast for about 5 years, so I am pretty familiar with Kevin from a podcast personality perspective.

Having ate at Le Cellier multiple times, I just didn't find Kevin's review to be as helpful as it could be. He seemed to focus on some relatively petty items. The complaint about pricing could be leveraged against most of WDW in park restaurants. I would prefer to hear more about the food and less about the fact Le Cellier is in the basement. Of course Le Cellier means store room or basement (something close to that).

I don't hate Kevin. I am not going to stop listening to the reviews. I find the podcast entertaining, otherwise I would not listen. Someone asked what we thought and I simply gave me impression. I just found the review got side tracked onto minor issues.
Please don't misunderstand and think I'm jumping on you, because that is not my intention and I don't think you've said anything wrong. At all.

The things mentioned in the review, might be petty to you, but they might be real deal breakers to others. Food quality is only one aspect of ANY restaurant review. Service and ambiance also play a big part in any review.

And that's the whole thing point ... Reviews ARE subjective. They are opinions and provide bits and pieces and impressions and glimpses from a single perspective, which is why sites that collect reviews say, of movies, (e.g. Rotten Tomatoes), are so valuable. They are hoping to gather a consensus. And, even then, for even the most widely panned film, there is some audience that will love it.

It's also why additional commentary on a review from others that either confirm or contradict the reviewer's impressions and experiences, are valuable.

No one should, or is being asked to, substitute anyone else's judgement for their own. If you strongly believe that Le Cellier is a good restaurant, with excellent ambiance, than it is. For you. For someone else? Maybe not so much.

Both positions are equally valid and can co-exist quite happily alongside each other.

And to John and Kevin ... Please don't be afraid to state your opinion strongly and clearly. Honesty and taking a position is what makes a review, even if it's one I personally disagree with, valuable. The instant you start couching your comments, for fear of reprisal and backlash, or even adoration and praise, is the point at which your reviews (or anyone's) become moot. So, keep proudly, and loudly, proclaiming what you love, what you hate, and why. And keep expecting your listeners to use their own judgement on whether or not to use that information for their own plans.

Last edited by coopersmom; 02-01-2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: added final thought
coopersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #24
ColoradoDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
Please don't misunderstand and think I'm jumping on you, because that is not my intention and I don't think you've said anything wrong. At all.

The things mentioned in the review, might be petty to you, but they might be real deal breakers to others. Food quality is only one aspect of ANY restaurant review. Service and ambiance also play a big part in any review.

And that's the whole thing point ... Reviews ARE subjective. They are opinions and provide bits and pieces and impressions and glimpses from a single perspective, which is why sites that collect reviews say, of movies, (e.g. Rotten Tomatoes), are so valuable. They are hoping to gather a consensus. And, even then, for even the most widely panned film, there is some audience that will love it.

It's also why additional commentary on a review from others that either confirm or contradict the reviewer's impressions and experiences, are valuable.

No one should, or is being asked to, substitute anyone else's judgement for their own. If you strongly believe that Le Cellier is a good restaurant, with excellent ambiance, than it is. For you. For someone else? Maybe not so much.

Both positions are equally valid and can co-exist quite happily alongside each other.

And to John and Kevin ... Please don't be afraid to state your opinion strongly and clearly. Honesty and taking a position is what makes a review, even if it's one I personally disagree with, valuable. The instant you start couching your comments, for fear of reprisal and backlash, or even adoration and praise, is the point at which your reviews (or anyone's) become moot. So, keep proudly, and loudly, proclaiming what you love, what you hate, and why. And keep expecting your listeners to use their own judgement on whether or not to use that information for their own plans.
I don't like the approach the review took. Frankly, I didn't disagree with all that much of the review. I was trying to be polite but I will be more blunt. I did not like the approach the review took. They spent too much time talking about the 10 seconds of them checking in at the podium. The review seemed very repetitive. I heard small table, dark, basement and expensive... over and over. I AM NOT DISAGREEING WITH ANY OF THESE STATEMENTS, I just found it to be repetitive and not as informative as it could have been.

If you read my other posts, I am not afraid to give my opinion.
ColoradoDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #25
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Red face

I hate to add fuel on the fire. Oh God I really do because

But for me going out to a restaurant and stating that it is the whole experience not just the food that makes the event. All these things have to work together.

The food can be fabulous but if the service is lousy. The people seating you are rude that colors the experience. I think it is just a diffence of opinion of how important this particular part is to you.

For me Le Cellier is such a hot ticket that you expect everything to be excellent from the moment that you hit the door is ampted up. Even higher with the prices you are now being charged. So if I'm going to treated wierdly at the podium I want to know that too.

Everyone has a different idea of what a review should entail. Kevin has given good opinions and reviews and I take this into account when I decide where to dine. It is just an opinion on how to do things and the experience. We both diffenent things from the review. Maybe at the least you were just entertained. And that's just fine

I'm really not trying to start an argument just state my point.

Last edited by kbelle8995; 02-02-2013 at 08:02 AM.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #26
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I have been saying that Le Cellier is over-hyped for the past 5-6 years. Personally, I think that the popularity of it resulted from Disney fan sites like this (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but one that's highly influential). It used to be a pretty good restaurant in Epcot that offered a different type of atmosphere than the norm and some unique and well-prepared food offerings. The cheddar cheese soup and pretzel bread were talked about quite a bit and the rest is history.

People began to book reservations, reservations became difficult to get, and people assumed Le Cellier was much better than it ever was. This caused the "Holy Grail" status that the restaurant has had for awhile now. Because reservations were hard to come by, people assumed that the food was even more spectacular - the idea that if you can't get a reservation there easily the food must be amazing became the philosophy. That air of "snooty-ness" had by the hostesses regarding no reservations ever being available just drove things even further.

Once Le Cellier and Disney management recognized what was happening, they decided to capitalize on it. More tables and chairs were brought in to accommodate more people. The cheddar cheese soup became a Food & Wine staple and the fact that they gave such a small amount as a serving caused even more people to want a larger person inside the restaurant. In terms of the DDP, the restaurant became a 2 TS credit eatery which hyped up its fame even more (think of the other restaurants that are 2 TS - all of which are purely signature, high-end dining experiences). Because certain items reached such a well-known status, Disney had to find a way to move them out of the kitchen quicker and, like any good business would do, see if there was a way to make more profit by altering the ingredients or their quality. This is when the food started to go downhill.

Now, Disney has decided to make the menu the same for lunch and dinner. Part of me thinks that this is somewhat of an effort, like the DDP change, to lessen the amount of reservations that come in. It seems to be working if you look at availability during peak season.

I think that there is hope for Le Cellier if Disney can get this "larger than life" reputation to die down a bit. It seems as if things got out of control very quickly and the company did not know how to stop the beast in the end. I guess time will only tell what happens next.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #27
WaDiWo
WDWFan!

Le Cellier is always an interesting conversation here, this thread is no exception.

I go for one main reason that hasn't been mentioned: Unibroue Beer. It is the only place on property that serves Unibroue, an exceptional quality beer from Quebec, and they have several varieties as well. Hard to find in any restaurant. But for me, worth going just for that.

There is one thing about Le Cellier that annoys me ... that Disney Trivia thing they have in the lobby while waiting. It's fine for kids, etc, but there always seems to be someone (could be me I confess ) who thinks that he/she knows everything about Disney ... when I know that MOST OF US HERE ON THE DIS can destroy the general public in a WDW trivia contest.

My blog: I achieved my goal January 12, 2014! see how I did it: Couch to Goofy Marathon and a Half Challenge!
Hear my interview about achieving this goal on the Runner Academy Everyday Runners podcast.
My Castaway Cay 5k trip report HERE
Packing for a Disney Trip or Cruise? Check out my free ultimate packing (and to-do) list here.
WaDiWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #28
HootDad
Makes magical trips each year
I am now hooked. I want to do as many races as I can

Just wanted to give my $.02 about some of the statements about the usefulness (or lack thereof) of the review. Now, I don't know if I am in the majority or the minority of DIS podcast listeners, but I am not the super frequent WDW visitor. I try to get there once a year but that does not always work out (I was there in January for the marathon and I don't see a trip in my future until maybe 2015). So, when I listen to the podcast I really want 2 things - I want to "live vicariously" through them and I want to be entertained. And I find Kevin and John's reviews, with their often going on about some observation or detail and telling a funny anecdote, to be exactly what the doctor ordered!
Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/hootdad
I was on the podcast! Part 1: http://www.disunplugged.com/2013/07/...sneyland-show/
Part 2: http://www.disunplugged.com/2013/08/...sneyland-show/
Part 3: http://www.disunplugged.com/2013/08/...sneyland-show/

v9ve.png[/img][/url]
HootDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #29
rotlex
Is it summer yet?

I pretty much agree with his review. We have eaten there one time, for dinner, and it was just OK. Frankly, I was expecting quite a bit more for all the hype. Honestly, if I'm eating in Epcot and in the mood for a steak, I'll take the one at the Rose and Crown any day. (Especially when using one vs two dining credits for Le Cellier

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
- Dr. Seuss

rotlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #30
jojomoore
DIS Veteran

I listened to the podcast review last night of LeCellier. I have to agree that I do not see the hype over LeCellier either. I have only eaten there once in 2010 and it was a decent meal but nothing extra special that would make me want to go back and pay the expensive prices. I am willing to pay more for disney food because of atmosphere but I didn't like the atmosphere at LeCellier. It was small, crowded, and like he said in the review a gothic basement. I didnt care for the famous cheddar cheese soup. It was too strongly flavored for my sensitive pallot. The steak was good but nothing extra special. The atmosphere at Les Chefs is far more interesting to my entire family.Maybe LeCellier has become so popular because it is hard to get a reservation due to its small size and because all the other options in Epcot are not steak and potatoes.
jojomoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: