Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Inducing labor question.

I don't know of any one that had this happen, so I am asking.

Someone is stating that she went in for inducing, they tried 3 times, but it never worked, so they sent her home and she had to come back the next day and they would put her on an IV to induce.

Pretty much everybody I know, including myself, when we went to the hospital, they started out with suppositiories, and a lot of walking. They then added the pitocin to the IV that we were already hooked up to, within a couple of hours, if not sooner.

I have not heard of a hospital not using pitocin almost right away for a scheduled inducing.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0610 View Post

Someone is stating that she went in for inducing, they tried 3 times, but it never worked, so they sent her home and she had to come back the next day and they would put her on an IV to induce.

Pretty much everybody I know, including myself, when we went to the hospital, they started out with suppositiories, and a lot of walking. They then added the pitocin to the IV that we were already hooked up to, within a couple of hours, if not sooner.

I have not heard of a hospital not using pitocin almost right away for a scheduled inducing.
My sister-in-law went in to be induced and it didn't work. They sent her home for the evening. She went back the next morning, was there all day, they were going to send her home again when her water broke. Then they turned up the pitocin and she delivered my niece the next day around noon.
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

My induction was started with a Pitocin drip through an IV. They tried nothing else prior to that. So not sure what they are doing with this woman.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
My induction was started with a Pitocin drip through an IV. They tried nothing else prior to that. So not sure what they are doing with this woman.
Same with me. I went to the hospital because my water broke, but when they examined me, it turned out that I was not dilated or effaced at all. They put me on pitocin right away and nothing else was ever tried.

JennaDeeDooDah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
LynnTH
DIS Veteran

They started to induce me on my due date with DS13. They thought he was going to be over 10 pounds and so wanted to induce. It did not work for me. I went in for 10 gels (which in most ladies makes you go into labor) and had 3 different inductions. Couldn't even get me to dialate to 1 so they could break the water.

I ended up having a C-Section 17 days after the 1st induction and DS was almost 9 pounds.

With DD I just scheduled a C-Section and it was much easier. C-Sections run in my family so was not surprised that I would have to have one. But for the 1st one they try everything first. I did eventually dialate to 7 and was in labor for a while but it would not proceed past that.
LynnTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I know someone else who was sent infor induction. It's my understanding that they gave her an iv. She had contractions but labor never really got going so they sent her home with the plans for her to come back the next day to try again. She went home and later on that night she went into labour on her own and the baby was born that night or early the next morning.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Auggietina
The sky was streaked with reds, pinks, and white
I kept getting glue over EVERYTHING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I had the same thing
Auggietina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

I was induced three times. For two of them, I wasn't dilated at all, so I had to come in the night before for the gel. With my first (10 days late), we did the cervadil, and then pitocin all day. At about 4 pm, nothing was happening, so I went home (they can't break your water if you aren't dilated). My water broke the next morning, so back I went for another day of pitocin.

I'm sure she had pitocin in her IV - you get the IV with the gel. There is nothing worse than being very overdue, getting induced, and coming home without a baby.

For my 2nd, 5 days late, already at 4cm, so no need for the gel the night before - I showed up in the morning.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:

For my second child they did not use psilocin at all just something called Cervadile and it was a scheduled induction.
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

I was on a Pitocin drip for almost 24 hours - nothing. The OB broke my water manually (? not sure of the details there but I think I remember my husband saying he used some kind of hook or knitting needle type thing?) It was just before Thanksgiving and he and I both wanted me in and out of the hospital before Thanksgiving.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
jen0610
DIS Veteran

What is confussing us, is she stated that when she went in, they never put her on an IV, even for just fluids. That is just jumping out at us as what??? Every single one of us in the office, knows that one of the first things they did was get us hooked up to an IV.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!

My sister went in to be induced on due date. Her first was 9 lbs so they didnt want to wait. She went in at 7 am and they gave her pitocin for most of the day, nothing much happened so they sent her home around 9 that night and told her to come back the next morning. This time they gave her something to soften her cervix, put her back on the pitocin waited about 6 hours and broke her water and my nephew was born naturally around 7pm weighing 11 lbs 6 ounces which was around 36 hours after she started the pitocin the first time.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
chris1gill

But you know I'm thinking (scary enough)

I went for my induction, they used everything including the pitocin drip, it didn't work. It was the most depressing thing ever... I'd gone out the night before, had great pictures of the big day, and in the end I had to wait two more weeks, apparently the due date was off..... so depressing, I feel for your friend just thinking about it....
Old 01-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

I went in for induction but they did not use pitcoin, instead Cytotec instead.

Ended up having an emergency c-section that night.

But they did hook me up to an IV for fluids.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What is confussing us, is she stated that when she went in, they never put her on an IV, even for just fluids. That is just jumping out at us as what??? Every single one of us in the office, knows that one of the first things they did was get us hooked up to an IV.
Maybe they just used Cervadil? That's just inserted into the.... yanno. No hook up to an IV or anything.

I was induced with the twins. My doctors felt that there isn't enough additional development in babies between 39 & 40 weeks to warrant leaving me in discomfort any longer so I was induced at 39+2. I had been dilated to 4cm since 34 weeks though. I went in, got hooked up to a pitocin drip straight away & the girls were born about 8 hour later.

I know of enough women that have gone through induction that I really believe that an induction is only going to work if the woman's body is ready for labor & delivery.

8/82 off-site :: 12/88 off-site :: 2/93 POFQ :: 12/98 off-site :: 10/02 POFQ :: 10/11 POFQ :: waiting for 3/15 to get here!
NYEmomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: