Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #46
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
 
roomthreeseventeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,936

It's funny, because I had some initial concerns about the whole thing, but I was pretty calm after a few weeks of thinking about it... until the podcast team had on the privacy expert who said she would not wear the bracelet or put it on her children. Well, that's good enough for me.
__________________
Amy, Patrick, Cosette and Herbie
Many trips as a kid! 2010 GF RPC (March) and AKL/BWI (Oct)
2012
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #47
Mike2023
DIS Veteran
 
Mike2023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,279

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
It's funny, because I had some initial concerns about the whole thing, but I was pretty calm after a few weeks of thinking about it... until the podcast team had on the privacy expert who said she would not wear the bracelet or put it on her children. Well, that's good enough for me.
IMO that privacy expert was a bit of an extremist. You should make your own choice after you do some research. If you don't want to use the magicbands thats fine, just do it because you decided not to, not because someone on a podcast said so.

And again, in theory they can do most of the same things with the RFID chip you will be carrying instead of the bands, but they may chose not to.
__________________
Check out my Disney Vacation Planning Tools HERE where you can get pdf files for your Phone / iPad / PC / Mac.


{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #48
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE
 
ChrisFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Tampa, FL, US
Posts: 7,489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2023 View Post
- no reason to think there would be anything in the room worth the trouble.
What if they left their kid in the room? That adds a whole other problem....people who are Disney employees who have access to the data and use them for nefarious purposes. There's 60,000 employees on WDW property.

I am very concerned about this new system for a large number of reasons...mostly having to do with adding LOTS of complexity to what should be a care-free vacation.

There's TONS of questions I have that Disney either hasn't or can't answer (such as, expanding this technology in the future to be even more invasive, without any further "opt-in" required, or changing the privacy policy during your vacation, do you get informed whenever you enter the park?).

Planning a Disney vacation is already pretty complex, now they're just adding to it, while also possibly leaving the "last minute" planners out in the cold, when they can't get fastpass+ or dining reservations

But the biggest thing that bothers me is that they're spending an incredible amount of money, yet not improving the parks.
__________________



Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #49
ellie'smom
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 222

What are the opt out options?
ellie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #50
Mike2023
DIS Veteran
 
Mike2023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,279

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
What if they left their kid in the room? That adds a whole other problem....people who are Disney employees who have access to the data and use them for nefarious purposes. There's 60,000 employees on WDW property.

I am very concerned about this new system for a large number of reasons...mostly having to do with adding LOTS of complexity to what should be a care-free vacation.

There's TONS of questions I have that Disney either hasn't or can't answer (such as, expanding this technology in the future to be even more invasive, without any further "opt-in" required, or changing the privacy policy during your vacation, do you get informed whenever you enter the park?).

Planning a Disney vacation is already pretty complex, now they're just adding to it, while also possibly leaving the "last minute" planners out in the cold, when they can't get fastpass+ or dining reservations

But the biggest thing that bothers me is that they're spending an incredible amount of money, yet not improving the parks.
leaving your kids in your room unsupervised is a discussion for a different thread.

I see your point on the planning aspect but being a big planner myself its a huge perk for me. Disney wants people to plan ahead so they can better determine the needs of the business. Clearly, this is an incentive to get people to do that.

Regarding the money not going towards improving the parks I disagree. This will improve my experience immensely, therefor improving the parks for me. Obviously this wont be the case for everyone, but disney is betting that im the majority and not the minority. And lets not forget disney is just finishing up the largest expansion in history. And if Avatar ever makes it, 2 or 3 people could be happy with that expansion as well.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next 3 to 5 years.
__________________
Check out my Disney Vacation Planning Tools HERE where you can get pdf files for your Phone / iPad / PC / Mac.


{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #51
DisneyDaddy-O
Dis Dads Club Member #286
I'm sure those driving beside me thought I was nuts
 
DisneyDaddy-O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North of Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2023

l. And if Avatar ever makes it, 2 or 3 people could be happy with that expansion as well.

.
__________________
Me DW DS14 DS12

Oct 97 CBR Disney Honeymoon, Jan 06 AS Sports First Family Vacation, Jan 07 POR Jan 08 POP, Jan 09 POR, Jan 10 POR, AUG 10 POP, JAN 11 POR, AUG 11 POP,
AUG 12 ASM,CSR,SSR,POR(yep all 4),OCT 13 POR First Halloween Party and Food & Wine
DisneyDaddy-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #52
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE
 
ChrisFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Tampa, FL, US
Posts: 7,489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2023 View Post
And lets not forget disney is just finishing up the largest expansion in history. And if Avatar ever makes it, 2 or 3 people could be happy with that expansion as well.
I disagree with their metrics about "biggest expansion". They only added one ride and a second duplicate of a ride and one restaurant (yes, I know the Dwarfs coaster is coming, but that isn't really an expansion since they closed Snow White). Also, the place where the Little Mermaid attraction is, used to be 20K leagues under the sea. Technically that's not really expanding either, its replacing a long dead space with a new ride.

Now I really do like the new fantasyland, but they have 4 parks to keep up with and the other 3 parks are in desperate need of some love.

It wouldn't be a big deal if their biggest competition down the road wasn't on a building SPREE right now.
__________________



Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #53
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
 
roomthreeseventeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,936

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post

Now I really do like the new fantasyland, but they have 4 parks to keep up with and the other 3 parks are in desperate need of some love.
Amen. I mean, I love the new Fantasyland. I think it's beautiful. But uh, go on The Great Movie Ride, or any other attraction at DHS. They are largely embarrassingly out of date.
__________________
Amy, Patrick, Cosette and Herbie
Many trips as a kid! 2010 GF RPC (March) and AKL/BWI (Oct)
2012
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #54
Mike2023
DIS Veteran
 
Mike2023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,279

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
I disagree with their metrics about "biggest expansion". They only added one ride and a second duplicate of a ride and one restaurant (yes, I know the Dwarfs coaster is coming, but that isn't really an expansion since they closed Snow White). Also, the place where the Little Mermaid attraction is, used to be 20K leagues under the sea. Technically that's not really expanding either, its replacing a long dead space with a new ride.

Now I really do like the new fantasyland, but they have 4 parks to keep up with and the other 3 parks are in desperate need of some love.

It wouldn't be a big deal if their biggest competition down the road wasn't on a building SPREE right now.
Thats an interesting assessment and I have to agree when you put it that way.

I have yet to see New Fantasy so I will wait and come to my own conclusions. 95 more days!!
__________________
Check out my Disney Vacation Planning Tools HERE where you can get pdf files for your Phone / iPad / PC / Mac.


{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #55
RD-SOX
Mouseketeer
 
RD-SOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2023 View Post
Marketing towards kids is in no way a new idea, and your right, it does work.
Thats why the Fruit Loops and Lucky Charms are at "kid" height in the stores.....
__________________
Me DH DS DS
RD-SOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #56
fall08CP
Cheesehead
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Titletown USA.
Posts: 2,487

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
They can only text you if you give them your cell phone number. That's not required information.


Sayhello
When I worked Disney front desk (most recently 2010) a cell # was most certainly required information. Even when guests didn't want to give it, we reiterated that it was indeed required. They may need to get in touch with you in case of emergency- a kid once passed out in our lobby and we only knew who to contact because he was carrying his room key and we could pull up his reservation and get a cell # to call his parents, issues with hotel room that require your items to be moved immediately, issues with billing/your credit card got declined, guest service recovery and many more that I won't go into but are serious enough to contact the guest immediately. In addition, if you leave something in your room after check-out, they need a # to call and confirm that it's yours. Bonus if they can get it to you before you leave property

Most guests don't check their room phone messages so we never relied on that method for any of the above.
__________________
I'm what Willis was talking about.
fall08CP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #57
Mike2023
DIS Veteran
 
Mike2023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,279

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall08CP View Post
When I worked Disney front desk (most recently 2010) a cell # was most certainly required information. Even when guests didn't want to give it, we reiterated that it was indeed required. They may need to get in touch with you in case of emergency- a kid once passed out in our lobby and we only knew who to contact because he was carrying his room key and we could pull up his reservation and get a cell # to call his parents, issues with hotel room that require your items to be moved immediately, issues with billing/your credit card got declined, guest service recovery and many more that I won't go into but are serious enough to contact the guest immediately. In addition, if you leave something in your room after check-out, they need a # to call and confirm that it's yours. Bonus if they can get it to you before you leave property

Most guests don't check their room phone messages so we never relied on that method for any of the above.
A phone number, not a cell number is required.
__________________
Check out my Disney Vacation Planning Tools HERE where you can get pdf files for your Phone / iPad / PC / Mac.


{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #58
Sammie
DIS Veteran
 
Sammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Fantasyland
Posts: 20,344

None whatsoever
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #59
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran
 
EastYorkDisneyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East York (Toronto), Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,537

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
It's funny, because I had some initial concerns about the whole thing, but I was pretty calm after a few weeks of thinking about it... until the podcast team had on the privacy expert who said she would not wear the bracelet or put it on her children. Well, that's good enough for me.
Personally I think the privacy expert was full of it. I'd like to know more about her before I take everything she said to light. For example does she have a smart phone, does she use any apps like four square, does she have a bank account, does she have a credit card. If she has any of those then you can still be tracked in theory with them all. As people have said according to Disney you will be able to decide what info gets put on the magic bands and for who. I just wonder what will people say to their kids if they meet with a character and the kid in front of them got addressed by name and they didn't?
__________________
Heading West for DPN WestFest 2010 - TR underway F & F at the DLR! Fun and planing for DPN WestFest 2011

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #60
Sammie
DIS Veteran
 
Sammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Fantasyland
Posts: 20,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy's a freak View Post
One thing I am unclear about is if this is a non-removable thing. Do I have to wear this thing in the shower or can I take it off whenever I like? For me, the biggest ick factor is being stuck with an unsightly wide band on my wrist for a week of dirt and grime and if I will have ridiculous looking tan lines. (I'm shallow)
Yes it is removable and adjustable.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
magicband



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.