Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
luvsvacations
Mouseketeer

24 YEAR OLD diagnosed with diabetes

Can anyone tell me if they have any good dessert ideas or recipies for people with diabetes. Or even for snack foods - I try looking - maybe it is the stores I am looking in - but with all the people diagnosed with this I am finding it hard to understand why there are not more options out there. Finally found a good bread - Brownberry 10 grain - after you remove the fiber it has 12 carbs a slice - the best I have found for a good sandwich. But I heard they are discontinuing it -??? Any good web sites - suggestions ??

Thanks
luvsvacations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
bopper
Which way to the Hundred Acre Woods?
I have been in VMK since day 1 and am still playing!

Another resource to try is http://www.diabetes.org/.

Here is a page they have on snacks.
http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...-meals/snacks/
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
bidnow5
DIS Veteran

I use a website called everyday health they send me a daily newsletter with a lot of recipes

http://www.everydayhealth.com/

bidnow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
scrapnmom
Mouseketeer

Are you talking about type 2 diabetes? Or type 1? The advice would be completely diffferent depending on which kind.

Planning my 14th trip, 4/30-5/7 at POR

scrapnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:40 AM   #5
luvsvacations
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info I will look into it. Will find out tomorrow if it is 1 or 2 but I am thinking it will be 1 with the insulin that he takes.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

I'm an adult-diagnosed T1. Keep in mind that everyone's treatment plan is different. Every doctor will tell you something different. And every diabetic should do their own research on what works, what doesn't...then discuss those ideas with their doctors. Now that my standard disclaimer is over...

It looks like you already realize that it isn't just sugar but CARBS that will affect blood sugar. You'll often have better luck searching "low carb" than you will "diabetic." Many companies market their "sugar-free" products as diabetic friendly even when those items may contain more carbs than similar products made with real sugar.

I've found that there are very few store-bought snacks/desserts that work for me. I keep my carb counts low enough that I rarely have to take mealtime insulin. There just aren't good products out there that fit my lifestyle. So I make my own stuff! Some of my favorite recipe blogs:
www.yourlighterside.com
www.alldayidreamaboutfood.com
www.healthyindulgences.net
mariahealth.blogspot.com

I don't use wheat flour at all any more. Too many carbs. I primarily use almond flour or sometimes coconut flour. These work different from wheat flour, so it's not a one-to-one substitution in recipes. But after lots of experimenting and research, I can make just about anything low carb! I make cakes, breads, cookies, etc. with almond flour. I make pizza crust and cheesy grits out of cauliflower. While I'm not 100 percent gluten free, I do tend to lean that way and often turn to gluten-free web sites/blogs for resources.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other specific questions. A diabetes diagnosis is not the end of the culinary world--in fact, I like the way I eat now BETTER than I did before I was diagnosed! And it is certainly much healthier.
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

For snacks, other than things I make myself, I try to stick to veggies, cheese, meat or nuts. All are low carb and filling...and they're all REAL food, not a bunch of processed junk. You do have to keep an eye on the carbs in nuts--it will vary depending on the type (cashews are higher than most others, for example). Best to measure those out according to serving size.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

Oh, one more...sorry, this is a topic I end up talking about all too much.

Before I gave up store-bought bread completely, I liked the Sara Lee 45 Calories and Delightful 100% Whole Wheat Bread With Honey. Two slices comes in at 14 g total carbs (I count total, not net. YMMV). It's the best I've found.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
luvsvacations
Mouseketeer

I sent you a PM - Thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Home cooking!

Diabetic Cooking................Pilcookbooks.com

Eating Well with Diabetes...............by jane Finsand, .......

Sterlingpublishing.com

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

If it's type 1, then generally we all stay away from anything overtly "diabetic friendly", it just isn't needed. people with type 1 should eat a normal, healthy diet like Genevieve said earlier. People with type 1 can utilize the insulin appropriately once it gets into their system, it's just that it all has to be provided in accurate amounts based on the carbs in the food they eat (and sometimes the protein/fats play a part) So there is not much benefit to trying to limit amounts of insulin like many with type 2 want to do. We give what is needed, no more, no less.

But all foods are allowed. There will be certain foods which many type 1s stay away from because they know that they're simply problematic (like my son loves donuts but they're like the devil's spawn kicking BG into rages for hours and hours as opposed to something like a bag of m&m's which is hardly a problem at all). And I know many adults with type1 like Genevieve who do modify their diets more drastically because it works for them.

so, there are lots of tools for carb counting out there - smart phone apps are great now, there are books like Calorie King. The difficulty at Disney is that they will not provide accurate carb counting. Restaurant food is difficult anyway, so you'll be doing a lot of guess work. But the last thing I would do is try talking to the special diets people. They'll steer you away from anything decent (and provide a nice giant bowl of fruit haha - bananas, aslso the devil's spawn)
CR: July/Aug 2003
CSR: July 2009 (split SOG)
SOG: Dec 2006, July 2009, June 2011, Aug 2012
ASMo: May 2014
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
Selket
Yes I AM being whiney about not getting a postcard!
I will measure, nest, lift and squeeze

I think if the person has type 1, you'll find that you can continue eating a normal healthy diet with whole grains, fruit, and desserts in moderation. There is no need to severely limit carbs (unless you choose to follow a meal plan like that). I would not buy special breads or anything else much (except drinks with sugar - sodas and juice -are hard to deal with).

My son has type 1 and has no big problems with a donut or a banana - there are some things that send him up there though (some cereals, etc.).
Universal: HRH, 2010
Selket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:41 PM   #13
luvsvacations
Mouseketeer

Seems maybe I have been a little to crazy. He was told he should eat about 200 carbs a day - but if you have something sweet - than can be easy 50 carbs - fortunately he has never been much of a sweets eater - but he did drink a lot of soda. But I can tell he is starting to miss certain things - maybe he should start trying things and watching it ?? Thanks for all the information - I am going to look into almond flour though - never used it or had even heard of it.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #14
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsvacations View Post
Seems maybe I have been a little to crazy. He was told he should eat about 200 carbs a day - but if you have something sweet - than can be easy 50 carbs - fortunately he has never been much of a sweets eater - but he did drink a lot of soda. But I can tell he is starting to miss certain things - maybe he should start trying things and watching it ?? Thanks for all the information - I am going to look into almond flour though - never used it or had even heard of it.
That seems pretty low carb for a 24 year old guy. Unless he has type 2. then I'l shut up about it. But is he seeing an endocrinologist or just his regular general practitioner who may have no clue about type 1?

Even when my son was first diagnosed at age 5 and had to eat a set number of carbs at each meal due to the older style insulin he was using his meals were 45g each and 2 snacks of 15 each. And that wasn't enough on most days so quickly he was adjusted. That was a 5 year old.
CR: July/Aug 2003
CSR: July 2009 (split SOG)
SOG: Dec 2006, July 2009, June 2011, Aug 2012
ASMo: May 2014
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #15
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

Like others have said that if it is Type 1 he will find shortly that eating a regular diet is what works best. Another thing is if he is techno savy there is a huge DOC (Diabetes Online Community) that exists today with hundreds and hundreds of T1 adults and college age young adults.

If he would like some places to start feel free to PM me and I can send you some links.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: