Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
caa1277
American by birth............Grumpy by choice!

Tripod for WDW

So I'm looking to replace a broken tripod that I have had for years. I'd like to get one that can sturdily (not sure if that's a real word, but I like it ) a DSLR but is also compact enough to carry comfortably into the parks, preferably in a backpack. Anyone have any tripod recommendations?
DIS Dad's Club Member #122

Me DW DS(17) DD(13)

July 2007-Pop Century; June 2009-Pop Century; June 2011-Caribbean Beach; June 2013-POR
caa1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
BBQMonster
Mouseketeer

I got a Velbon UT 43D II last year and I love it. Only Weighs about 2.5 lbs. Opens to 5'1" but folds down to 11.3". Can actually fit it in the top of my camera backpack. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Aluminum.html
Good Luck
BBQMonster
BBQMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

I use the Cullmann Magic 4. With the ballhead detached its slightly less than 13". What I like the best is that if folds flat and converts to a monopod. For travel its very versatile. Here it is mounted on the side of my backpack (I take it everywhere, weighs less than 3#'s)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...STEM_w_CB.html

Tripod Backpack by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

One recommendation I would make is to get one that fits in the lockers at WDW so you don't have to carry it all day. The small lockers are 11" x 9" x 16" so the maximum diagonal is 21.4".

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Me!Thatswho
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
I use the Cullmann Magic 4. With the ballhead detached its slightly less than 13". What I like the best is that if folds flat and converts to a monopod. For travel its very versatile. Here it is mounted on the side of my backpack (I take it everywhere, weighs less than 3#'s)
I 2nd the Cullmann. I have the Magic II. It's light, can be easily carried around the parks on a backpack all day. BUT, 1) it is short! I think it is like 55 or 56 inches so, & 2) it isn't overly sturdy. So, if you forget your remote shutter trigger like I did being the knucklehead that I am, you will end up capturing 40 or 50 brilliant firework bursts with a blurry castle that is half blocked by the heads of those standing right in front of you and an occasional mickey-head balloon that kept creeping in somehow.
August, 2005 - WDW All-Stars Movies & All-Stars Music -- May, 2006 - WDW Port Orleans French Quarter for SWW -- June, 2007 - WDW Contemporary for SWW -- Dec, 2007 - WDW Pop Century & Contemporary for MVMCP -- July, 2008 - DL Disneyland Hotel -- Dec, 2008 - Jan, 2009 - WDW Polynesian; NYE @ DHS -- Dec, 2009 - Jan, 2010 - WDW Polynesian; NYE: breakfast at AK; mid-day @ Blizzard Beach; evening @ Epcot for Illuminations; fireworks on Poly beach -- Oct, 2010 - WDW Polynesian for MNSSHP -- Nov, 2011 - DL Grand Californian Hotel -- Aug 2012 - WDW Beach Club CL -- Jan 2013 - WDW Yacht Club CL -- Dec 2013 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside: DD danced in XMas parade taping -- July 2014 - DLP Hotel New York -- Nov 2014 - WDW Yacht Club

My first ever Trip Report - DLP or bust! w/ Lots of Pics!
Me!Thatswho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me!Thatswho View Post
I 2nd the Cullmann. I have the Magic II. It's light, can be easily carried around the parks on a backpack all day. BUT, 1) it is short! I think it is like 55 or 56 inches so, & 2) it isn't overly sturdy. So, if you forget your remote shutter trigger like I did being the knucklehead that I am, you will end up capturing 40 or 50 brilliant firework bursts with a blurry castle that is half blocked by the heads of those standing right in front of you and an occasional mickey-head balloon that kept creeping in somehow.
That is one of the issues of a travel tripod. Being lightweight for travel can be a problem, however I found a solution with Cullmann. Because of its design I can easily hang my bag and it becomes very stable.

IMGP0300 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
Me!Thatswho
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
That is one of the issues of a travel tripod. Being lightweight for travel can be a problem, however I found a solution with Cullmann. Because of its design I can easily hang my bag and it becomes very stable.

IMGP0300 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr
Nice! Normally I do the same. Unfortunately that particular evening in the park we had already drank all of our water and I had left my usual extras (camcorder, external flash, lenses, etc) in the room because we only entered the park to eat and see Wishes. I probably would have been fine even without the shutter release, had Main Street not been mobbed with the much dreaded Brazilian Tour Groups which forced me to position myself so as to block the tripod from all contact as opposed to a more relaxed posse. But I completely agree that, with a little added weight, the Cullmann is the perfect travel solution. And, at least for me, much easier than lugging my tank - an old Kenlock 2000 - into the parks!
August, 2005 - WDW All-Stars Movies & All-Stars Music -- May, 2006 - WDW Port Orleans French Quarter for SWW -- June, 2007 - WDW Contemporary for SWW -- Dec, 2007 - WDW Pop Century & Contemporary for MVMCP -- July, 2008 - DL Disneyland Hotel -- Dec, 2008 - Jan, 2009 - WDW Polynesian; NYE @ DHS -- Dec, 2009 - Jan, 2010 - WDW Polynesian; NYE: breakfast at AK; mid-day @ Blizzard Beach; evening @ Epcot for Illuminations; fireworks on Poly beach -- Oct, 2010 - WDW Polynesian for MNSSHP -- Nov, 2011 - DL Grand Californian Hotel -- Aug 2012 - WDW Beach Club CL -- Jan 2013 - WDW Yacht Club CL -- Dec 2013 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside: DD danced in XMas parade taping -- July 2014 - DLP Hotel New York -- Nov 2014 - WDW Yacht Club

My first ever Trip Report - DLP or bust! w/ Lots of Pics!
Me!Thatswho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
caa1277
American by birth............Grumpy by choice!

I'd love to find something that was easily transportable and also can convert into a monopod. The cullman looks like something I could use, but is quite a bit expensive.
DIS Dad's Club Member #122

Me DW DS(17) DD(13)

July 2007-Pop Century; June 2009-Pop Century; June 2011-Caribbean Beach; June 2013-POR
caa1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by caa1277 View Post
I'd love to find something that was easily transportable and also can convert into a monopod. The cullman looks like something I could use, but is quite a bit expensive.
Its worth it though....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: