Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #16
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Spirit pros:
* They are cheap, and generally get you where you are going.

Spirit cons:
* They fly infrequently and have no interline agreements, so a cancellation or delay is more likely to have a significant impact on your plans.
* The rows are the narrowest in the sky.
* They aggressively charge for extras; not planning ahead can be costly.

Can go either way:
* They tend to fly out of smaller airports. Easier to get in/out and cheaper parking (pro) but a lot less in the way of in-airport services (con).

My advice: Do not fly them unless you are on such a tight budget that it was fly Spirit or don't go. Even then, it might be worth it to save up for a little while longer instead. I will not fly them, but I'm in a position to be able to fly someone else.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #17
debster812
DIS Earth Angel!
Anyone have a spare phone?
Suffered from DIS withdrawals
I feel so technical, 'stick', 'unstick'
Ya Ya Sister!

I think the most important thing to remember is that when things go smoothly, Spirit is fine. It is what it is, a low-cost, no frills, pay a fee for almost everything, airline.

However, when there are any type of irregular ops, that's when things go South, and go south in a hurry. The only time I flew Spirit it was for a long weekend trip, our flight out was cancelled between the time I checked our flight at home, and the time we arrived at the airport (<45 minutes). We spent the next 7 hours at the airport, our non stop was turned into a flight with one stop, and we missed our 1st day of our trip.

Same trip, our flight home was delayed due to ground stoppages up and down the east coast due to fog. However, there was NO ONE beyond security at MYR who could update us as to what was going on, and getting through to Spirit on the phone proved to be challenging at best.

I understand that 'stuff' happens, but it's Spirit's utter disdain for it's passengers that really turned me off.

I do my best to avoid them at all costs.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #18
princessmurdough
Does that come with champagne?

We've dubbed them Spit air...and never again. We've tried 3x.
By the time you factor the luggage charges, the inconvenience factor and the BAD service, it is not worth the meager savings. JMO.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #19
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
No they decided to put a coin operated lock on the bathrooms instead!

:
Rumor is Spirit will be start serving complimentary big gulp sized cups of water and maybe even soda whenever they go with coin operated bathrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom47 View Post
. Dh (6'2) and ds (6'4) didn't say they were uncomfortable (again 2 hours 20 mins, no biggie to us).
According to seatguru Spirit only has 5 A320s with 28" seat pitch, with 35 on order. No idea when existing planes will be converted to this new configuration. No doubt in my mind DH and DS would have said something if you were in one the newly designed planes.

Topic heading says it all. Any other airline people ask how good are they. Spirit the only question is can they be as bad as everyone says.

I agree with the PP. Add up all the extras and the total price is OK. Either short enough so it's not a big deal or willing to gamble on the seat configuration. Not flying in the day of a cruise. Won't be the end of the world if you have to cancel your trip at the last minute. Go for.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #20
Sugar Jones
DIS Veteran

Jetblue is releasing their prices for Sept./Oct. on Sunday. I really, really hope for some good prices......I can dream right?

I would prefer to fly out of Flint with Southwest, or Detroit with Delta since we are much closer to that border, but I will drive the extra 2 hrs to Buffalo for a great price.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #21
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

If you want the real scoop from those that fly Spirit, then I recommend you visit the Flyer Talk board that has threads on the airline:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...-programs-472/

FlyerTalk is the DIS for air travel and frequent flyer programs. The body of experience is fantastic, and you'll get a lot of insight by lurking there.

On a personal note, I have not flown Spirit, and I doubt I will. If enough people volunteer information about how bad a restaurant is for service and food quality, then I don't think I'll even go there "just to see", even if they have fantastic prices. Same goes for airlines, amusement parks, and everything else.

However, I agree with Brian. If we are on a seriously tight budget and it was either fly Spirit or don't go, we'd give them a shot. However, I've found other ways to get the same level of discounts (and more) via other avenues (credit card signup bonuses, perks, airline price tracking apps, etc).
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #22
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
You're not generally not entitled to compensation if a flight is cancelled due to weather issues. Flying the morning of your cruise isn't a good idea. Travel insurance might have helped you.
Not weather related. The airplane was having mechanical issues.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #23
Ipaythemouse
Earning My Ears

They have the worst customer service and change polices. May sure you read all prior to booking. They are a smaller airline so if there are any delays you are sure to be in for a long day of travel....
1996 Disney All Star Resort, 1999 Disney All Star Movie Resort, 2002 Disney Old Key West Resort, 2003 Hilton Head Resort, 2005 Disney Boardwalk Rersort,2005 Disney Vero Beach Resort, 2005 Disney Saratoga Springs, 2006 Disney Vero Beach Resort, 2008 Disney Boardwalk, 2008 Wilderness Lodge, 2009 Disney Vero Beach, 2010Disney Old Key West
2010 Disney Vero Beach, 2011 Disney Boardwalk, 2011 Disney Caribbean Beach Resort, 2012 Disney Old Key West, 2012 Disney Aulani Hawaiin Resort, 2013 Disney Bay Lake & Boardwalk & Pop Century, 2013 Aulani Hawaiin Resort

PLATINUM CASTAWAY MEMBER
Disney Magic: 2001 Eastern, 2004 Western, 2007 -10 Day Med Cruise, 2012 New York

Disney Wonder: 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009

Disney Dream: 2011, 2012, 2013 Members Cruise
Ipaythemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #24
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
Spirit pros:
* They are cheap, and generally get you where you are going.

Spirit cons:
* They fly infrequently and have no interline agreements, so a cancellation or delay is more likely to have a significant impact on your plans.
* The rows are the narrowest in the sky.
* They aggressively charge for extras; not planning ahead can be costly.

Can go either way:
* They tend to fly out of smaller airports. Easier to get in/out and cheaper parking (pro) but a lot less in the way of in-airport services (con).

My advice: Do not fly them unless you are on such a tight budget that it was fly Spirit or don't go. Even then, it might be worth it to save up for a little while longer instead. I will not fly them, but I'm in a position to be able to fly someone else.
Pretty much hits the nail square on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipaythemouse View Post
They have the worst customer service and change polices. May sure you read all prior to booking. They are a smaller airline so if there are any delays you are sure to be in for a long day of travel....
I'll never forget the day and evening I wasted waiting for them to fly a mechanic in from Detriot to diagnose a problem and then fly the needed part in from Detriot for the mechanic to install, and then fly a new crew in from Detroit because the original crew had been "on duty" too long.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #25
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Tripss View Post
Pretty much hits the nail square on the head.

I'll never forget the day and evening I wasted waiting for them to fly a mechanic in from Detriot to diagnose a problem and then fly the needed part in from Detriot for the mechanic to install, and then fly a new crew in from Detroit because the original crew had been "on duty" too long.
And all the other airlines have agreements to basically buy those services. So when my Delta jet breaks in "middle of nowhere" the contract service can do a basic eval and some fixes. Of course if it is major then Delta may have to do something, but at least they didn't have to fly the mechanic in from Atlanta to do the diagnosis.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: