Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Sugar Jones
DIS Veteran

How bad is Spirit Air?

Right now even with the extras cost of baggage they are about $500.00 less than Delta for September flights.

I haven't heard many positives things about them though. The flight timed from DTW to MCO are really good too.

I have not flown in 12 years so I don't know what to expect.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
ain0004
Mouseketeer

We are not flying with them. Often find their planes in poor condition, IMO. Extra cost for everything. We too are waiting for airfares to go down, we have a Oct trip and plan to fly out of DTW
ain0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

Just realize they charge for everything and if you have to cancel make sure you know their policy in detail.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Mum and Gram are at Bingo tonight, so it's cereal for dinner. "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
DisneyNutMary
DIS Veteran

If you don't mind the seat in front of you practically being in your lap, you should be good.
I'm short, and even I found the rows too tight, my DH and my sons were uncomfortable the whole flight. I also found their carry on fees to be quite high, higher than checked baggage on my flight for some reason, unless you were in the $9 club (or whatever it's called).
I did find the airport terminals for spirit to be nice, though. Flights were on time, and the crew were very nice.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Like the little girl with the curl hanging down her forehead. When it's good it's very very good but when it's bad it's horrid.

Spirit is one of the "rinky dink*" airlines; if your flight is cancelled there is often no convenient replacement flight. There are numerous trip reports of airline staff unable or unwilling to give much help and who gave a hard time about giving a refund after the cancellation.

* The other two, higher, categories are "legacy" and "discount".
(some years ago) At a cartoon class at Disney Quest my drawing tablet malfunctioned, zigzagging all of the place instead of making a simple circle for Mickey's head. (today) Voter beware, you may have to touch or poke the electronic tablet or screen off center to choose the candidate you want.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Grandmatoniko
Mouseketeer

We fly Spirit whenever we go to Disney. The seats on the plane are tight but we only have a 2 1/2 hour flight so we deal with it. The airport we fly out of is small and I like not dealing with a huge airport. We park and walk to the terminal. They have been the cheapest when we fly also. Good luck!
POR 04, Contemporary 05, POR 06, POP 07, POP 08, POP 09, POP 10 and POP 12, POP 13 & POP 2015!!
Grandmatoniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM View Post
if your flight is cancelled there is often no convenient replacement flight. There are numerous trip reports of airline staff unable or unwilling to give much help and who gave a hard time about giving a refund after the cancellation.
This can be true with any airline. Our Delta flight was canceled the morning we were scheduled to fly in to our Disney cruise. They were rude and unable to find us another flight. We missed the cruise departure and ended up using another airline to catch up to the ship. We did not receive any compensation from Delta.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:15 AM   #8
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

I've flown two round trips flights on Spirit this year and didn't have a problem either time. All four planes were very clean, flights were on time (even a little early in fact), crew was very pleasant and friendly, and seats were fine. I would have no problem flying them again. As long as you are aware of all of their fees you should be fine Be sure and carry some snacks and get something to drink after security though, because they do not serve anything on the plane (without you paying for it that is).
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:53 AM   #9
bianca
DIS Veteran

OP ..... We too, fly out of DTW and use Spirit regularly. While they have changed our flight time in the past, it has only been by a few hours and did not impact our vacation. Our non-stop flights have always been on time and in general, the planes are clean and the crew friendly. We've honestly never had a problem and in fact, are flying with them again next week. Just know going in about the extra fees and you'll be fine.
6/78-offsite. All the rest at "The Fort" ....... 11/95, 2/97, 11/97, 12/97, 2/98, 11/98, 12/98, 2/99, 11/99, 12/99, 12/2000, 10/2001, 5/2002, 12/2002, 2/2003, 10/2003, 2/2004, 12/2004, 11/2005, 10/2006, 12/2006, 8/2007, 10/2007 (Saratoga), 12/2007, 3/2008 (HHI), 10/2009 (HHI), 11/2009, 10/2010 (OKW), 9/11 (AKV), 10/11 (AKV), 2/12 (BLT), 9/12 (VB), 12/12 (AKV) , 2/13 (AKV) 5/13 (VB), 10/13 (AKV), 1/14 (SSR) and 5/14 (Aulani)!
bianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
Buzz's Buddy
DIS Veteran

As long as you're aware that Spirit charges for everything, has a luggage weight limit of 40 pounds and has less leg room than any other airline, you should be fine.

I always find myself defending Spirit, but truthfully, I've flown them numerous times from Atlantic City and never had a problem. Contrary to what a prior posted said, I've found their planes to be clean and the employees at the airport and on the plane to be pleasant.

I'd say to save the $500 and give Spirit a chance.
Buzz's Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 AM   #11
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer View Post
This can be true with any airline. Our Delta flight was canceled the morning we were scheduled to fly in to our Disney cruise. They were rude and unable to find us another flight. We missed the cruise departure and ended up using another airline to catch up to the ship. We did not receive any compensation from Delta.
You're not generally not entitled to compensation if a flight is cancelled due to weather issues. Flying the morning of your cruise isn't a good idea. Travel insurance might have helped you.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #12
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer View Post
Actually you could has asked for a refund due to a weather cancellation.

However, this is a warning to others don't do this! Don't fly in the morning of your cruise it's going to cost you if ANYTHING goes wrong!

Back to the OP.

People tend to "like" Spirit until something goes wrong and then they are well known for thier "we don't really do customer service" (trust me while this poster may not like Delta the CEO of Delta has never sent an email saying "we don't care what our customers think they only fly us because they are cheap and they will be back regardless" to a large audience.. The Spirit CEO did that... and that sums up thier view of "customer service")

Over on Trip Advisor they get a weekly "NEVER FLY SPIRIT" posting because they do things like "cancel the flight for no reason and tell us the next option in a week later"

The "risk" is to great for me. I don't want to be stuck someplace having to buy a full fare ticket because Spirit's crew decided not to show up or whatever the "excuse du jour" is.

Generally when I read "the airline was rude" I find that turns out to mean "the airline couldn't/wouldn't do what I wanted them to do and when I got rightous they got rude" However, with Spirit they just start off rude so they don't have to go down that path

(I fly a lot. Just yesterday I witnessed a passenger going off on an AirTran gate agent because the plane was late. Of course, there was a TORNADO in the area, but why should that delay Mr "I want to leave right now" After a few minutes of abuse the gate agent got "rude" What a surprise LOL! It finally ended when the passenger in line behind Mr. "I want to leave right now" told him to SHUT UP!)
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #13
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

I flew them a couple of times and do not like them. Have not flown them in years.

My BIL flew them a year ago and he said never again.

I heard they are putting up tolls just to use the air passenger brigdes.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
I flew them a couple of times and do not like them. Have not flown them in years.

My BIL flew them a year ago and he said never again.

I heard they are putting up tolls just to use the air passenger brigdes.
No they decided to put a coin operated lock on the bathrooms instead!

Rumor has it the next great invention will be the coin operated air mask. "In the event of a sudden change in air presure, the oxygen mask will fall from the panel in the ceiling. Place the mask on your face and secure it with the elastic strap. If you would like oxygen to flow then insert 50 cents in the slots above your head. If you don't want oxygen to flow, it's been a pleasure knowing you"
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

I posted this recently but will post again.
We were due to fly out of AC at 6 am.
They changed our flight to 5:37 pm.
I don't see well to drive at night (we would've been landing at night in an unfamiliar place), especially when I'm not really sure where I'm going, so I called them directly (and I had booked through a 3rd party) to change our flight to 7am (same day) but landing in Ft Lauderdale. No issues whatsoever, and was told that if there was a price difference, I would receive some type of credit. (I was renting a car so didn't matter to me where I picked up the car, and there was no price difference). Dh (6'2) and ds (6'4) didn't say they were uncomfortable (again 2 hours 20 mins, no biggie to us). The plane was fine, we all took a backpack (squishy) bag that fit under the seats in front of us, we had one carry-on (on the way down) and one checked bag (on the way back) that I paid for well before the flight (cheapest way other than being a $9 Fare Club member, pay at least 24 hours online before the flight, cost me $30 and $35). I got a drink and a snack (cost $4, the same as in Wawa or Starbucks I'm sure).
Both flights were good (landed a bit early as well). No problems, will fly them again, have been flying them for a long time.
Maybe AC airport helps, though; it's a nice little airport!
If you can really save that much money, give them a chance.

Junior Brody Stella Luna Louie Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!

Last edited by njmom47; 01-31-2013 at 03:04 PM.
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: