Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
jenpace
DIS Veteran

BWPPI, Carousel or Tropicana?

We have always stayed onsite with the exception of a couple of trips at the Hojo but now that there's no more Entertainment Rate and special AP rates at the resort properties are unlikely I'm looking at Good Neighbor hotels for our July trip. I'm most interested in staying right across the street on Harbor so we're very close to the park entrances.

While getting a great rate is important, I'm also wanting something safe (it will be just me and my 10 y/o DD), clean and comfortable with a refrigerator and microwave. Free breakfast isn't important since I'd rather bring healthy stuff to have in the room. So far I've zeroed in on Carousel, BWPPI and Tropicana. I'd love any advice or words of wisdom. TIA
Old 01-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
keltiesmom
Mouseketeer

We are staying at carousel next week, I can give you a review when we are there if you would like. We will be staying from feb7-14th. I stayed here 13 years ago and liked it. I'm hoping we still do.
keltiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
jenpace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltiesmom View Post
We are staying at carousel next week, I can give you a review when we are there if you would like. We will be staying from feb7-14th. I stayed here 13 years ago and liked it. I'm hoping we still do.
That would be awesome! Thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
FlameGirl
I kind of wonder if it is because of a certain expectation
I'd say go for it!

BWPPI is great; I would have no hesitation staying there alone with my daughter. And you really cannot beat the morning commute.

Edited to add: We stayed there 10 nights in December 2010.
FlameGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
OnTheRoadAgain
DIS Veteran

I've kept notes on many of these nearby hotels from past posts. In case this is important to you, out of the three you've picked, people seem to like the pool best at the Tropicana and they like the beds more at the Carousel. I haven't heard many negative comments regarding safety from most of the closest hotels, including the three you've selected. Good Luck!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Stitch35
Mouseketeer

I'm doing a mommy and me at the BWPPI this month. I will report back on how safe it felt and the room
Stitch35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I took my niece in 2007 by myself and we stayed at the BWPPI. |I felt very save there.

This year we have decided to stay at Desert Inn & Suites as we can save money and get a much larger room (actually two rooms with 4 queen beds).

BWPPI does have a nice breakfast-cereal, yogurt, fruit, muffins, toast, danish, english muffins, egg and sausage patties, milk, juice, coffee, tea.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
jenpace
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the replies and comments. I'm beginning to really look forward to trying one of these close hotels on Harbor now
Old 01-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
RayB
Mouseketeer

Tropicana

My vote is for the Tropicana.Have stayed at both.One time at Carousel we decided one night was enough and moved back tot he Tropicana.Pool and hot tub much better at Trop here, giant hot tub, the Carousel is roof top, its windy, small , not much room.We stay in the executive suites out front, it has two balconies with view of parks and fireworks, etc.monorail goes by.The suites are worth the money in my opinion they have huge garden tub, two baths, two tvs , fridge, microwave.If you ever stay in one of these you will not go back to regular rooms.Breakfast room is like 20 feet from room.Its not even close to me, they have always done us right, rooms all recently remodeled.
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
keltiesmom
Mouseketeer

We got in last night to the carousel inn, we are happy with it. It's clean, the beds are comfortable the room isn't very big but we managed to fit a playpen in and a double stroller. We are in room 403, the room I stayed in last time was bigger than this one is.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #11
NiceOneSimba
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at the Tropicana and BWPPi both were fine, but we prefer the BWPPI. The breakfast is better there and it can't be beat for location. We just felt the room at the Tropicana was a bit cramped, and I didn't love that they had old-school bedspreads and shams on some of the pillows.

Honestly, though, they're both totally fine. Both were clean, both were comfortable.
WDW Trips: 11/1978 DLR Trips: 7/1988 (first visit!), 7/1991, 4/2008 (with students) Anabella, 4/2011 (with students) Anabella, 9/2011 (DD's first trip!) BWPPI, 8/2012 Tropicana, 1/18-20/2014 (Tink Half Marathon) BWPPI, 1/29-2/2/2014 (DD's 5th birthday surprise!) DI&S
Upcoming: Innaugural Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend (Rebel Challenge) DI&S
NiceOneSimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
keltiesmom
Mouseketeer

We are home now and I thought I would share some thoughts from our week at the carousel inn. It's noisy! We heard the toilets flushing from other rooms, and people would run past the room excited for the day way to early! There were minor but bothersome maintenance things like our toilet paper dispenser kept falling off the wall and the TP would roll away. Some of the towels were dingy, some were new and white. The beds were really comfortable and the staff were excellent, they even let my parents use our parking spot without charging them. They were staying down the road at an RV park, after the valet tip it saved them about $75 over the course of the week. Over all I would stay again if the price was right, but I will probably try another hotel next trip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: