Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
lostatdisney
Mouseketeer

Gluten Free Tips?

My DD17 is on a gluten free diet, and from looking at the WDW information, they seem to be really exceptional at offering GF options. I was wondering if anyone had any particular tips about enjoying GF food at WDW. Thanks!
1998 - Disneyland - first Disney trip with kids!
2001 - Disneyland
2004 - Spring Break at WDW - POR
2006 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
2008 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
August 2009 - Cruising on the Disney Magic!
2010 - Spring Break at DLR - GC
2012 - Mother Daughter Cruise on the Dream!
2013 - Spring Break at WDW - BCV
2014 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
On my first trip to Disneyland when I was just seven years old, I got lost when I ran ahead of my family trying to see Mickey as he led the parade. My parents soon retrieved me from the Lost and Found, but I've never found a place that I would rather be lost than Disney.
lostatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
siskaren
DIS Veteran

You should ask over on the DISabilities forum.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostatdisney View Post
I was wondering if anyone had any particular tips about enjoying GF food at WDW. Thanks!
Eat at the Grand Floridian?
Old 01-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
MissChris
Mouseketeer

I have a kid with several food allergies and I'm not ashamed to say that getting food at Disney world has brought a tear to my eye. (a little ashamed ) Its hard to travel and to eat out with a kid with allergies and being able to feed him easily right alongside everyone else was such a joy and such a relief. I know Cosmic Rays in the MK offers gluten free substitutions for hamburger and hot dog buns and i assume they have similar options in other locations you just need to ask. I didn't realize this when we went and I just ordered my son a hot dog with no bun, the CM asked me if he had an allergy and when I said yes she immediately got a manager who discussed his restrictions with me, reassured me about their prep methods and delivered his food to our table personally. It blew me away.

If you make ADRs mention the allergy when you make the reservation and they will take care of everything. Every time we dined out with my son the cook or chef came to speak to us personally, they have a folder with ingredient lists for everything they serve and they even go the extra mile with things like dedicated fryers and prep areas to prevent cross contamination. This is one area where Disney has really come through.

Chris

Introducing my family
Me Disney instigator, Mr. bold and hearty, our Big Girl and social butterfly , and the new guy
MissChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Make sure you note her allergy on all your TS ADRs. CS places will have an ingredients binder you can look at, and they can also get a manager to help. The Plaza in MK was amazing, so was Boma, Flying Fish, Liberty Tree Tavern, The Wave, Kouzzina. We don't eat too much CS.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
daraweb
Mouseketeer

My DD9 has celiac disease and not only did my husband and I cry (out of happiness!) with the way she was treated...we also joined DVC. She is over-the-top in love with our disneyworld trips...loves the characters, rides, parades, all of it. After being diagnosed, she said the best part of the trip was the food and that she "felt" normal again! We feel lucky and relieved that we know we can somewhere for 1 week a year where we don't have to think about food!

Yes, check out the disabilities board and also just do a bing or google search on disboard gluten free....you will be amazed.
daraweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
lostatdisney
Mouseketeer

Thanks SO much for the suggestions! I completely understand the joy with WDW making it so simple! (Sometimes I wonder why more restaurants don't get it - it's not just the person with the allergy that you get as a customer, but you get all their family and friends too! We love eating at restaurants like Red Robin, where they have great GF alternatives.)

I will definitely take a look at the disabilities board too!
1998 - Disneyland - first Disney trip with kids!
2001 - Disneyland
2004 - Spring Break at WDW - POR
2006 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
2008 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
August 2009 - Cruising on the Disney Magic!
2010 - Spring Break at DLR - GC
2012 - Mother Daughter Cruise on the Dream!
2013 - Spring Break at WDW - BCV
2014 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
On my first trip to Disneyland when I was just seven years old, I got lost when I ran ahead of my family trying to see Mickey as he led the parade. My parents soon retrieved me from the Lost and Found, but I've never found a place that I would rather be lost than Disney.
lostatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
wahoostampingirl
DIS Veteran

Just chiming in that CS is wonderful too. On our last trip, we ate almost exclusively CS and my dh never had a problem. At all the places we went, the manager would come out and discuss options with him and then his order was placed and brought out to us separately. His favorite place was probably Flame Tree BBQ in Animal Kingdom, but he was able to get GF items that he enjoyed at every restaurant. So much easier to eat GF at Disney than in the "real" world. In our little town, most restaurants have never even heard of a gluten free bun or they don't realize that the sauces they use have wheat in them. Disney was a breeze.

Also, for desserts try out Babycakes in DTD. My dh loved their cupcakes and it was such a treat for him to have a freshly baked item.
wahoostampingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
magchavez
DIS Veteran

We were there last September and my Dd (9) has Celiac. She could eat in every restaurant. Most counter service seemed to have the same options, GF Mac and cheese, GF bun for a burger, etc. The table service restaurants were amazing. We loved the chef at The Plaza. He was over the top! He made chicken tenders for her, brought her a salad with gluten free croutons that were delicious and fries. We decided to skip dessert since we were all full but the chef gave us a bag of GF choc chip cookies to take with us. At Chef Mickeys, they had a GF dinner roll and GF cupcake that were good. We had dinner at Cape May one night and for dessert they had GF banana bread, donuts, cookies, etc. My dd asked for a donut for dessert and the chef brought out a to go box with 1 of each of the different desserts so she could save some for later. The only disappointment was the Main Street bakery. Since all the other restaurants had at least one GF dessert, I would have assumed they would have something too but they didn't.

At each restaurant (counter or table service), the manager or chef always took her order and they were the ones to bring her food to her. No one else came near her food. GF dining at Disney is so easy. We didn't have to think twice about where to eat.

2006 - POR
2007 - CSR
2008 - POR
2009 - CBR and DCL (Wonder)
2010 - CBR and Disneyland
2011 - POR and DCL (Dream)
2012 - CBR
2014 - POR
magchavez is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: