Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
PrincessKelly86
Earning My Ears

Question Help! Which resort for our Disneymoon?

Hi everyone!

My fiance and I are getting married June 1, 2013 (only a few more months to go!), and it looks like we are (85% sure) going to Walt Disney World for our honeymoon!

We are planning for one week, have a budget of $2500 (with a little wiggle room to go up if we need to), and we know airfare will be about $500 total roundtrip. Our first choice is the Polynesian, but even with the current discount promotion it's out of our price range. So we are looking at either Animal Kingdom Lodge or possibly dropping down to a moderate resort and staying at Coronado Springs. I've never stayed at a deluxe resort, so I'm not sure how "worth it" it is as compared to moderates. AKL will push us just slightly above budget, which we know, but he says since it's our honeymoon this isn't the time to sacrifice accommodations just to save $200.

Here's our situation: We technically had a $4000 budget for our honeymoon if I was willing to sacrifice my Disney World fund ($1000) and add it to the $3000 his parents are giving us (SO kind of them!). That budget basically knocked out everywhere we thought we'd possibly be going (Japan, UK, France). We can do a Caribbean location for a week, and barely have enough money for food, or an all inclusive in the Dominican Republic and I give up all of my saved up Disney money. He knows how much I love Disney, so his compromise was that we take the $4000, use $2500 on a Disney honeymoon and then save the other $1500 to start a fund for an international trip to Japan. I agreed (naturally!), but I know he isn't really "into" Disney, so he's not very excited about it.

What do you guys think? Is AKL worth the slightly higher price tag to stay at a deluxe resort for a honeymoon (considering DF isn't all that whipped up about going to Disney anyway)? Or is Coronado Spring just as nice for a lower price? Or should we look at a different resort entirely? Thoughts? Suggestions? Help?

Thanks in advance!

One-year Anniversary Trip to DL- July 2014, Tropicana- July 2015, Five-year Wedding Anniversary & Vow Renewal: Grand Californian- May 2018
Disney Inn- 1991, Off Site- 2003, CBR- 2010, POFQ- 2011, POP- 2012, First Mother/Daughter Trip at CBR- 2013, POFQ- 2014

PrincessKelly86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
bradleyjess
Mouseketeer

For your honeymoon, I'd stay at a deluxe if it's possible. I'd also suggest renting DVC Points for a deluxe resort. The price works out to be about the same as a moderate for a deluxe room. That's what I'm doing!

The DIS has a board dedicated to renting points, or you can go through a site like David's Vacation Club so you don't have to deal with owners individually.

My resort history: BoardWalk Villas, Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo and Kidani, Saratoga Springs, Port Orleans Riverside, WDW Dolphin, Yacht Club, Contemporary and Coronado Springs.
bradleyjess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
asunnysideup
Mouseketeer

I can't recommend AKL enough! It is SUCH a gorgeous resort and really offers an "away from it all" feeling more so than other Disney resorts.

Our Planning Journal | Our Trip Report
asunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Talli16
Earning My Ears

I would def pick a resort with a king size bed which funny but a lot of deluxe's you cannot guarantee one like some mod and values. CBR is gorgeous and will give you that caribbean feel and you can def book a king bed room there.
Talli16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Talli16
Earning My Ears

imo i do not like coronado for a honeymoon. too many conventions and not romantic. mod wise i would def do carribean beach. pretty, great ts restaurant, king bed, romantic, etc
Talli16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

I second the suggestion to rent Disney Vacation Club points. It sounds scary at first, but once you understand it, it is the ONLY way to go. I wrote up an explanation HERE. Animal Kingdom Villas shouldn't be too booked up yet, either. We actually stayed 4 different places on our honeymoon because I wanted to try so many, and we used DVC points for Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Beach Club. As the pp said, we paid what we would've paid to stay at a Moderate resort and got much nicer accommodations.
lurkyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
PrincessKelly86
Earning My Ears

Wow thanks for all of the quick responses everyone!

I hadn't even considered renting DVC points, so I'm definitely going to look into that. Better accommodations for less money? How can I say no?

I think if we don't do DVC points, we'll do AKL since it looks so fantastic and comes so highly recommended. I think it'd be worth the money! I'm glad to know that several people recommend CBR over CS. I've stayed there once before and definitely liked the tropical feel it has! I'll show it to DF tonight!

Thanks for the link to your DVC point renting post lurkyloo! I'll be reading through it while cooking dinner tonight.

One-year Anniversary Trip to DL- July 2014, Tropicana- July 2015, Five-year Wedding Anniversary & Vow Renewal: Grand Californian- May 2018
Disney Inn- 1991, Off Site- 2003, CBR- 2010, POFQ- 2011, POP- 2012, First Mother/Daughter Trip at CBR- 2013, POFQ- 2014

PrincessKelly86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
marshmeloh
Ev'rybody has a Laughing Place... mine is WDW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKelly86
Wow thanks for all of the quick responses everyone!

I hadn't even considered renting DVC points, so I'm definitely going to look into that. Better accommodations for less money? How can I say no?

I think if we don't do DVC points, we'll do AKL since it looks so fantastic and comes so highly recommended. I think it'd be worth the money! I'm glad to know that several people recommend CBR over CS. I've stayed there once before and definitely liked the tropical feel it has! I'll show it to DF tonight!

Thanks for the link to your DVC point renting post lurkyloo! I'll be reading through it while cooking dinner tonight.
I'm going to 3rd the Dvc point rental. Were doing that for our honeymoon, went through a broker and are paying about a thousand for 6 nights in a studios old key west plus one night in a savannah view room at animal kingdom. Plus, you can save on breakfast by utilizing the kitchenette and maybe even bringing some nonperishables like coffee and cereal from home. Can't beat it in my opinion!
marshmeloh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: