Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #256
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Time is flying - why is it that on weekends time passes much quicker than during the week? So, before Saturday is half over, here is the next

Question of the Day:

Are you a slow eater or a fast eater? Are you aware of how fast you eat and does the "speed of eating" have something to do with your portion sizes?
I asked this question as it is one of my major problems: I am a very fast eater and usually am the first to finish my plate - unless my father is around, I seem to have gotten it from him. I am working hard on slowing down as I know that it helps me to eat smaller portions - or as many of you said, prevents me from getting seconds. I have developed the strategy of putting my cutlery down after each bite and only take it up again after I have finished that bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
That's a great NSV!! I hate getting my haircut, I'm glad I wear glasses because I can't see my face when she's cutting my hair.

I am a fast eater but I'm trying to learn to slow down. Speed eating for me has more to do with second servings vs portion size on one plate. I still think I'm hungry when those brain receptors just haven't kicked in yet.
Thanks!! And now I also figured out what NSV means!

The thing with the brain receptors is really it. Since I am a fast eater I can go from hungry to feeling like I ate too much in seconds as it just takes some time to register that I got some food...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskem96 View Post
Doing the couch to 5k workout 3 times a week is what's helping the scale move for me, so I will do my best to keep it up this week! The other thing I need to do is make sure I check in here every day to stay motivated!
Well done on keeping up with the C25K programm! I think it sounds like a fantastic programm and I would have loved to have something like that to help we when I started running.

And I can only encourage everyone to check in here regularly! I used to mainly lurk on previous threads and I find that getting more active here really helps me to stay focused on my weight loss!

Quote:
I am a very slow eater. That probably helps with my portion sizes because I'm always the last one done so I'm less likely to go back for seconds. I just have to be careful how much I put on my plate in the first place! I've been thinking about getting a set of those WW serving spoons that have a measurement on them so you know you're taking the correct portion size.

I'm not doing the WW plan anymore. I never could get into it after the changed to points plus. I'm just journaling on MFP and wearing my fitbit everyday. DH got me the Aria scale for Christmas, so that takes the place of my WW weigh in book. It automatically uploads my weight to my fitbit account so I can look back and see how much I've lost each week. The whole family is using it now, and I think the competition is helping keep us all motivated!
I think correct measurement of portions is a huge help. We discussed food scales on here recently and I think everyone who got one really if a fan of using it.

It's wonderful how a simple thing like a new scale with a gadget feature can help you all to stay motivated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikamah View Post
A little competition is always helpful. I am doing a wt loss challenge with my sister and some of her friends, and I'm beating her. She's always been the skinny sister, so that makes me feel good.

That's a great non scale victory, Magdalene. It is so motivating to be able to see some changes of your hard work.

I am definitely a fast eater, and try to slow down when i think of it. Eating healthier, big salads and stuff is easier to eat more slowly. I do think if I'm done before others, I'm more likely to have seconds.

I earned me some activity points shovelling today for sure. My forearms are very achey, as is the rest of my body. It really is a great core exercise. We got 2 feet here, and did the shovelling in a couple trips out. I still need to finish the last clean up of the walkways since the snow is finally stopped, but am going to wait til after dinner when I take the dog for her last walk of the day.

Enjoy the rest of your weekends!!
I totally get how great it is to beat the skinnier sister! It's the same with my sister who always was the skinnier one of us.

Eating salads is a good way to slow down as they usually require quite a lot of chewing work. That's why I like eating raw carrots as an appetizer. It takes time eating them and by the time I start eating my main meal I not only already got a serving of vegetables, but my stomach is already signalling that food has arrived to the brain!

I am impressed with your shovelling workout!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki23 View Post
I have to journal, journal, journal. The exercise is no problem - I worked out 3 hours today at some fun classes - food is my issue. I'm a thoughtless eater.

I think I fall somewhere right in the middle. What I need to remember to always do is to drink a full glass of water 10 minutes before I eat. If I stick to 5 small meals a day and take a multivitamin, it really helps control my appetite and my willpower.
Yes, journaling is definitely one of the secrets to weight loss. It is so easy, but I sometimes struggle with it as well. However, then I tell myself if I stay focused now that time of reduced calories will be over sooner than if I don't concentrate and eat without thinking

That's a great tip with the glass of water before the meal!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #257
Greenfield1984
DIS Veteran

I haven't been on in a few days because I got busy with life and snow...caught up reading the thread and congrats to all those with weight loss and NSVs this week and to anyone who was disappointed this week, I'm sorry, but lets just keep on trucking in this new week!

Quote:
Happy Sunday everyone!!

I hope you are all keeping warm - it seems that many of you were in that area that got a lot of snow!

Let's start with the QOTD and I will then be back with replies.

QOTD:

Let's chose a lighter topic today: Which place on earth would you love to go and visit if money and all other circumstances (health, security issues etc.) were taken care of?

And I guess I better answer my own question immediately, as I seem to have difficulty to answer my own questions later in the day.

There are so many places I would love to see. I am tempted to pick a place in Africa - I once planned a trip to Zimbabwe, but the planning stopped as the political situation got worse there. But to be honest, the one place I am most longing to get to is Hawaii.
The one vacation that I would love to take but will never be able to take is an African safari. It would be so amazing but those trips are crazy expensive! So I will continue to dream about it

I hope everyone has a great day today. I'm planning on spending most of the afternoon outside playing in the mountains of snow with my girls.
October 2011: ASMo with DD4 and DD7months
October 2009: POP with DD2
February 2009: AKL with DD 18mos
April 2007: ASMo HONEYMOON!
December 2005: Off site - Big Family Vacation
August 2000
Summer 1991
Fav rides:Carousel of Progress, Figment, Tower of Terror, Timekeeper (RIP), Nemo Musical
Fav Park: EPCOT
Greenfield1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #258
pix13dust
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna
Happy Sunday everyone!!

I hope you are all keeping warm - it seems that many of you were in that area that got a lot of snow!

QOTD:

Let's chose a lighter topic today: Which place on earth would you love to go and visit if money and all other circumstances (health, security issues etc.) were taken care of?

And I guess I better answer my own question immediately, as I seem to have difficulty to answer my own questions later in the day.

There are so many places I would love to see. I am tempted to pick a place in Africa - I once planned a trip to Zimbabwe, but the planning stopped as the political situation got worse there. But to be honest, the one place I am most longing to get to is Hawaii.
Good morning!

First off I want to say I read every post and it really helps keep me on track! I don't have a computer, I do everything from my iPhone, so quoting, multi quoting is a pain in the booty. No computer in the near future either - my husband broke our 5th laptop in 5 years, he's definitely not responsible enough for one, lol! As for the QOTD... Hmmm, that's a tough one. I'm terrified of flying, with enough medication I can just barely do the 2 1/2 hour non stop flight to Disney. In fall 2011, my parents spent 5 weeks in Africa, their pictures are amazing! It's really inspired me to try and get over my fear of flying. So in November 2012 I flew the 4 1/2 hours to Mexico. Lots of Meds and Patron got me on plane, however, I'm not really setting a good example for the kids. So for now, I'll pick Disney!! And keep working on my fear of flying
Have a great weekend! Can't wait for the " Dead" to come back tonight!

Melinda
pix13dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #259
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Quote:
Time to lose the winter blues and on to better spring things!
Alice! I am totally ready for spring, too.

Quote:
Finally the scale moved! Lost 2.2 pounds.
Congratulations!

Quote:
Time is flying - why is it that on weekends time passes much quicker than during the week? So, before Saturday is half over, here is the next

Question of the Day:

Are you a slow eater or a fast eater? Are you aware of how fast you eat and does the "speed of eating" have something to do with your portion sizes?
Time does fly when you are having fun!

I am a slow eater but I also tend to be a distracted eater. I usually am reading or looking at my phone or doing something else so I don't notice what is going on and don't get the signals that I've enjoyed something or that I am done. It will take awhile to work on that one.

Quote:
Hang in there - I am sure that there will be movement on the scale for you in the future!

My weight loss is never linear. I seem to get stuck at a level for some time and then suddenly quite a good junk of weight comes of in a space of a few days.
Thanks for the reminder! And that is a great tip about having foods at the ready for those times you know you are likely to have problems, like right after work!

Quote:
Doing the couch to 5k workout 3 times a week is what's helping the scale move for me, so I will do my best to keep it up this week! The other thing I need to do is make sure I check in here every day to stay motivated!
It does help to see that everyone goes through the same things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikamah View Post
A little competition is always helpful. I am doing a wt loss challenge with my sister and some of her friends, and I'm beating her. She's always been the skinny sister, so that makes me feel good.
Go, Kathy, go!

Quote:
I have to journal, journal, journal. The exercise is no problem - I worked out 3 hours today at some fun classes - food is my issue. I'm a thoughtless eater.

I think I fall somewhere right in the middle. What I need to remember to always do is to drink a full glass of water 10 minutes before I eat. If I stick to 5 small meals a day and take a multivitamin, it really helps control my appetite and my willpower.
Excellent strategy! And thanks for the reminder about the vitamins!

Quote:
Finally!! Plow guy got stuck 1/2 way up the drive. The mound was over 6 feet tall and he couldn't push it anymore so he came back later with a bucket loader.
It took 150 minutes to just shovel out the cars and the back step. DH and I had parked side by side and it took an hour just to do between the cars and behind my car.
DS11 shoveled a path to the wood pile then they all built tunnels through the piles. We got around 27 inches but had 30+ snow drifts.
I'll post pics soon, I need to get them off my camera first.
I made sure to log my shoveling as part of my exercise for Feb. I'm sooo sore!!
That sounds like a great workout, Buffy! Glad that you are all safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocomment711 View Post
Anyways. I'm down a little over a pound this week. My measurements have all gone up (except for one) and I feel a little discouraged. I believe part of it is that I'm coming up on Shark Week. So we'll see what the next week brings.

I started doing a fitness class called NIA and I love it so much. It's a little pricey and I'm going to have to give up my vocal lessons to do it every month, but if it helps, I'm going to do it. I can't just keep running on a treadmill, cycling on a stationary bike, or lifting weights. My attention span is crap. This class is fun and very welcoming (even though I still feel like an idiot sometimes). It's a mix of yoga, tai chi, and dance (I wanna say a mix of jazz and ballet). The only bad part is I think I'm getting a blister because of it.
Congrats on your loss! I would not check measurements more that once every 3 or 4 weeks. Those changes take a bit longer and it is easy to get discouraged if you are expecting too much too soon.

Nia is a great class. The class I've gone to is full of older ladies and they really know how to whoop it up! I'll have to see if I can take an early lunch and try a class again some time. Right now I am really enjoying the pool in addition to my running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightAngelX View Post
Some days I can go longer but I think some days I count faster...lol

Quote:
Happy Sunday everyone!!

QOTD:

Great question, Magdalene! I would really love to go to every Disney park in the world. I'm sure I should be more enthusiastic about going to other places but anything Disney related really satisfies my soul! It's who I am! :MickeyMo:

Dona, to your DH that he recovers from his fall very soon. This has been a tough year for you guys and injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfield1984 View Post
I haven't been on in a few days because I got busy with life and snow...caught up reading the thread and congrats to all those with weight loss and NSVs this week and to anyone who was disappointed this week, I'm sorry, but lets just keep on trucking in this new week!
Very good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix13dust View Post
Good morning!

First off I want to say I read every post and it really helps keep me on track! I don't have a computer, I do everything from my iPhone, so quoting, multi quoting is a pain in the booty. No computer in the near future either - my husband broke our 5th laptop in 5 years, he's definitely not responsible enough for one, lol! As for the QOTD... Hmmm, that's a tough one. I'm terrified of flying, with enough medication I can just barely do the 2 1/2 hour non stop flight to Disney. In fall 2011, my parents spent 5 weeks in Africa, their pictures are amazing! It's really inspired me to try and get over my fear of flying. So in November 2012 I flew the 4 1/2 hours to Mexico. Lots of Meds and Patron got me on plane, however, I'm not really setting a good example for the kids. So for now, I'll pick Disney!! And keep working on my fear of flying
Melinda, I am so impressed that you do all your posting on your iPhone. That shows dedication! and a for your flying issue.

Last call for weigh ins. I will be posting the results in Post 3 some time tomorrow so if you haven't sent your PM, the time is now! Everyone is doing great and we should see some pretty colors soon.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #260
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

Question of the Day:

Left to my own devices, I am a fast eater, but as I'm trying to lose weight, I've been trying to slow down and actually appreciate the food more, now that it's home cooked not out of a packet!! I usually try to eat whilst holding a conversation about my day with Hubs, or if he is not there, I eat whilst surfing the net, thus slowing down my shovelling as I need hands for the keyboard!!!

I have also invested in 2 IKEA 365 china pasta plates (big white soup plate type thing!). We eat nearly all of our meals out of these now - there is less volume in there. On a plate, I can pile it high without even thinking about it, but I like to keep the content of the bowl below the rim for some reason. Hey, whatever works for me right??!!!!
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #261
fitgirl36
DIS Veteran

Good morning everyone! Just popping in to say hi and to ask if anyone is doing Jillian's body revolution DVD program. I thought the first DVD wasn't too terrible. Of course it's only day 1!
fitgirl36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #262
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Happy Sunday friends! Sorry I haven't been around this weekend. I'll try to catch up today, but just need to post something exciting! DD made top 6 today at State Championships! Woohhooooo! She has wanted to do this for 4 years!

Sadly, because of the snow yesterday they were forced to cancel Meet of Champs so she won't get to compete, but top 6 in her division for the state is so exciting!

BBL to chat! .......P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #263
pix13dust
DIS Veteran

Here's a couple of pictures of my street 2 days after the blizzard. It looks so beautiful!!........Now Melt!

Melinda
pix13dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #264
Greenfield1984
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitgirl36
Good morning everyone! Just popping in to say hi and to ask if anyone is doing Jillian's body revolution DVD program. I thought the first DVD wasn't too terrible. Of course it's only day 1!
Ooh you'll have to let me know how you find it. Right now I'm on week 5 of turbo fire and when those 12 weeks are done I'm planning on switching over to Jillian's body revolution. I love jillian!
October 2011: ASMo with DD4 and DD7months
October 2009: POP with DD2
February 2009: AKL with DD 18mos
April 2007: ASMo HONEYMOON!
December 2005: Off site - Big Family Vacation
August 2000
Summer 1991
Fav rides:Carousel of Progress, Figment, Tower of Terror, Timekeeper (RIP), Nemo Musical
Fav Park: EPCOT
Greenfield1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #265
DisFam95
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix13dust View Post
Here's a couple of pictures of my street 2 days after the blizzard. It looks so beautiful!!........Now Melt!

Melinda
Beautiful photos! Yes - Now Melt!! Ugh I don;t miss living up north - but then the summers are terrible here. I need to live in Maui!

Today was good and bad. Activity wise we went for a short 2mile bike ride this morning and went ice skating this afternoon. But I spent much of the time slow going helping DS7 who had never been before. I did get as much fast loops as I could while he took breaks.

Then we went to dinner. Had 1 chipotle deviled egg that DH ordered, then poutine (OMG yum), then a steak sandwich w/ sauteed onion and Guyere cheese - SOOOO not on the diet plan. Total cave!!! That's what happens after 4 days of clean eating I did order plain tea so sticking to the no soda thing - there's a WIN!!

I plan on doing and hour on the treadmill on incline while i watch some mindless tv tonight to make up for my 'sins'.

I know weekends are hard for most of us so hoping everyone gets back in focus tomorrow!
Sum/74; Sum/78; Sum/82; Sum/87 Polynesian; Sum/93 Caribbean Beach; 8/95 Port Orleans - Honeymoon; 5/97; 8/99 Caribbean Beach; 9/01 Wilderness Lodge - became a DVC member!!!; 12/02; 1/04; 2/05; 2/06; 10/06; 5/08 Villas at Wilderness Lodge; 6/11 Wildreness Lodge
Me DH DS12 DS8
DisFam95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #266
nocomment711
Ces Soirees-La

I too, totally blew it today. Sure, I did two hours of activity in the morning, but it left me ravenous all day, to the point where I went over by 9 points (this is coming from a girl who rarely uses all her points in a day). This was my second weekend on the plan, and I just broke down completely.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be better when I'm back on a scheduled plan.
nocomment711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #267
tinkerbye
Mouseketeer

QOTD: I've always wanted to walk across south america. See the pink dolphins and zipline through the cloud forest. Saddly it takes roughly six months to do, so though it's a relativly inexpensive trip, I'm never going to get that much time off.
tinkerbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #268
Mary•Poppins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza32 View Post
Question of the Day:

My eating depends on what is going on at the time. For lunch I have been trying VERY hard to go down to the lunch room and give myself the 30 minutes given for lunch. I tend to eat slower when I am taking with friends and not trying to eat in my room as fast as I can so I can get work done.

As for dinner, I do eat with my family just about every night. The time will adjust according to where everyone has to be in the evening. I eat slower ... but sometimes waiting until 6:00 or 6:30 is tough and I have to watch I don't start snacking.

HI to everyone. Sorry I haven't been around a bit. I am in the middle of the musical program and it consumes all of my free time. I have 2 to 3 more weeks of it ... then I will be done forever!!! As much as I love volunteering for my children, this job is just too much for me. I have told everyone this is my last year (I have done it for 4 years) ... so I hope they find someone to take it over!

Keep on losing everyone!!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:40 AM   #269
fitgirl36
DIS Veteran

So day 2 workout 2 complete of Jillian's body revolution. Not too bad, the moves are basic but seem effective. I'm pretty sure my arms agree too! I was going to hop on the treadmill after the DVD but I didn't have the energy so I will do 20 minutes on the treadmill after work. Have a great day everyone!
fitgirl36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #270
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Good Morning everyone!

Sorry that I did not get the replies finished yesterday, but I went to see Lincoln at the cinema (great film!) and then in the evening I got a surprise phone call from a very dear friend from whom I had not heard in ages. So all those great activities were taking time away from my DIS time... And then of course I had to do my plank (managed to get back to doing it for one full minute) and my 30 day shred workout. I have been doing it for one week now and can already feel some improvements, especially the crunches became much easier and yesterday was the first day when I felt like those push ups I was attempting could actually be called push ups (still the girly version though).

But I don't want to let you down, so here is the new question of the day:

QOTD: Do you plan rewards for yourself for reaching certain goals in your weight loss journey and will there be a reward for reaching your goal (besides being healthier, thinner and having accomplished your goal )?
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: