Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #196
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
I'm a lawyer, I'm never going to have total peace in my life, but it's not my drama. Control is overrated IMHO -- I would much rather be adaptable.
Hey, I am a lawyer, too!

QOTD: I had to think about this. To be honest, I am not sure whether "control" and "peace" aren't to each other like the chicken and the egg. I really can't say which comes first. If things are really chaotic in my life, I know that sometimes easy things like just tidying the kitchen will make me help to get out of the mind set of everything is just horrible. So in that sense, taking control is helping me to get peace. But I also think that I need a little spark of peace to start taking control.

In other news - I think I am the first one to have failed with the plank a day challenge!!! I went to see a play at the theatre yesterday evening and managed to cram in my 30 day shred training between work and theatre. And after I got through it I remembered the plank. After the training I was in no way able to still do a plank and thought I would do it just before I went to bed after I had relaxed a little bit. But I forgot!!

However, I made sure to do it today and was able to hold it for 1 minute. And even surprisingly easily. Also finally went out and bought 3 pounds weights for the 30 day shred - so far I trained with bean cans. I am now on day 30, so 10% done!!! And it sounds silly, but I already feel that I am getting fitter. And this morning the scale finally was friendly to me again and showed 2 pounds less than the weight I now had for the last 10 days or so....

I hope everyone has a great last day of week 1 tomorrow! I am looking forward to take over coaching next week - I hope I will be able to live up to the standards Pam set this week!!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #197
nocomment711
Ces Soirees-La

I feel more at peace now than I have in a long time. I feel in control and bette about my choices. The decision to lose weight has been so amazing for me.

That being said, hotel an airfare are booked for Disneyland. All that separates us is 18 pounds. Sad though that the most expensive part of the trip are the tickets.
nocomment711 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #198
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post

Let me jump up your soap box now too. I absolutely agree with the whole non-soda thing!!! I was never a big soda drinker to begin with unless I was at a restaurant. I made the switch from regular to diet. Then I read an article about the ingredients that are actually in soda (both regular and diet). OMG!!!You might as well down some turpentine or antifreeze with all the chemicals it's made with. Since then, maybe 7 or 8 months now, I haven't touched a drop. It makes me crazy that the DH has some every day and keeps it in the house, but some people's habits you just can't do anything about. So FWIW, PLEASE stop drinking soda!!!!! And that's meant with all the in the world for you all.

Okay, I'm done now ...
Thanks for backing me on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix13dust View Post
I've been doing my plank a day! I even have the kids doing it they can plank for 1 minute. I started at 6 seconds but now I'm up to 43 seconds, woohoo! Sometimes, when my hubby is home he will plank with me, it's a piece of cake for him so he screws around and bites my butt or tries to push me over. That's when I yell " cut it out! This is serious " I do notice my abs are a little achy, I think that's a good thing! For March I was thinking if doing Sun Salutation A, 4X a day??
Have a great Wednesday!
Melinda
Woohoo on plank a day! Good idea for March. I was thinking of adding a 2 minute wall sit, but I like your idea too!

Quote:
Good afternoon all!
Thanks for all those PMs. I have the spreadsheet updated and am ready for those first weigh ins on Friday. I am reading along even though I can't seem to post every day. I really enjoy hearing from each and every one of you!

pix13dust thanks for the great snack list! There were some good ideas there!

Nicole, glad the surgery went well! for a speedy recovery.

Flossbolna, glad that you had a great visit with your sister. The 30 day Shred is a hard work out. I've never made it past level 1!And great call on the reminder about sunscreen!

Jill, good luck to you with your moving evaluation. It's good to think about where you live and why even if you end up staying where you are. I vote for someplace where the weather is nice!

Dona, congrats on the great numbers at the doctor's office!

Pamela, so sorry about the roof. And another big on the end of an era with early morning swim practices. When a door closes, another one opens.

I don't even want to think about how many attempts I've made at weight loss in my adult life. I can't waste any time beating myself up about what happened before -- I can only say that for several years now I have been succeeding and I intend to continue that success.

Woo hoo for the great attitude and success!

Yep, your Disney dork friends are here for you!

BRB I'm sure the smilie police are approaching . . .
Several years of success...how many can say that ? Great job! And of course, you "keep on keepin' on!"

Hopefully that "open door" for DD will lead to a college pool!

Quote:
Rose, so sorry about the back. Hope you are feeling better soon!

I think you've got it this time!

Susan, hope that you are feeling better today, too.

Thanks for sharing!

Better to start slowly and set yourself up for success!

So sorry, Dagny. Do you have access to a pool? When I injured my back last year the pool was a lifesaver.

So sorry! Hope you are feeling better soon! We all have times like that. Do you think you would really feel better if you gave up? Probably not. How about letting yourself tread water for a bit and maintain?

One of the things I love the most about being 50-something is that I have found so much peace of mind and acceptance about things that I never had when I was younger. I'm a lawyer, I'm never going to have total peace in my life, but it's not my drama. Control is overrated IMHO -- I would much rather be adaptable.

One of the best things about running to me is that you get the chance to amaze yourself -- you don't get to do that a lot as an adult.

Have a great day all!
ADAPTABLE....what a great way to be! Wish I were a bit more like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sjayne View Post
quotd---peace. Yeah I actually thought about this when I went to an OA meeting here. I was trying to explain how I over eat constantly and then exercise to make up for it-- plus my job is very physical, seems I'm always sore and I don't have time to do anything fun except watch tv at night. I only went to the one OA meeting, dunno why, just felt uncomfortable, and also felt like I don't do any real binge eating, just eat bigger portions of everything all the time. They were also kind of weird with the privacy and anonymity issues and awfully preachy for a group that's supposed to be unaffiliated.
Anyways it would be nice to break that activity thing-- be able to eat less calories and slow down, be able to do stuff like stay home and clean and organize the house, or go see a movie instead of working out--spending 3 hours at the gym every day. I am reminded of a story by Ray Bradbury, Frost and Fire about a space ship that crashed on a planet and sped up human life so that the survivors and the generations of people who come after them only have 8 days to live their entire lives. At the end a man makes it to the space ship and can feel himself slowing down and it is peace.

It's a really cool short story-- one of my favorites of his. That and the Foghorn.

Finally got my rear to the gym and had an amazing work out, I did 75 minutes on the elliptical, did all the weight machines, plus some free style to the point where I couldn't do any more with each one, and spent at least a half hour in the jacuzzi. Think I'll stay home today and organize and clean the bedroom--it really needs to be done. The hoodlums have taken over. I've kept even the best escapees in because I don't want the princess escaping and they have thus pillaged and plundered my bedroom, knocking books down, my laptop, toppling my jewelry box, knocking down stuff off the desk, spraying my boots I'm going to try to make the room more cat friendly and fix all they stuff they have messed up-- my jewelry is in sad shape. I might go ride my bike on the bike trail if it stays dry (it's sunny right now) Plus I need to pick a 2 1/2 pound crab for dinner. Am going to use up a few tuna helper boxes and add some peas I think. Will crank some music and it won't be too bad. The cleaning anyway. I used to only clean house when there was good talk radio on-- now we don't have anything like to it listen to around here anymore. I'm down 3 pounds as of now since this challenge started and feel really good about that, we'll see if I can maintain that until Friday.
Thanks for the reminder to slow own in our lives!

Kitties are fun but they certainly can get into stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Hey, I am a lawyer, too!

QOTD: I had to think about this. To be honest, I am not sure whether "control" and "peace" aren't to each other like the chicken and the egg. I really can't say which comes first. If things are really chaotic in my life, I know that sometimes easy things like just tidying the kitchen will make me help to get out of the mind set of everything is just horrible. So in that sense, taking control is helping me to get peace. But I also think that I need a little spark of peace to start taking control.

In other news - I think I am the first one to have failed with the plank a day challenge!!! I went to see a play at the theatre yesterday evening and managed to cram in my 30 day shred training between work and theatre. And after I got through it I remembered the plank. After the training I was in no way able to still do a plank and thought I would do it just before I went to bed after I had relaxed a little bit. But I forgot!!

However, I made sure to do it today and was able to hold it for 1 minute. And even surprisingly easily. Also finally went out and bought 3 pounds weights for the 30 day shred - so far I trained with bean cans. I am now on day 30, so 10% done!!! And it sounds silly, but I already feel that I am getting fitter. And this morning the scale finally was friendly to me again and showed 2 pounds less than the weight I now had for the last 10 days or so....

I hope everyone has a great last day of week 1 tomorrow! I am looking forward to take over coaching next week - I hope I will be able to live up to the standards Pam set this week!!

I love your "chicken and egg" analogy! You are so right....does control bring us peace or do we gain peace when we have more control?? Brilliant!

Looking forward to your coaching week! Thanks for taking the time to answer all my crazy QOTD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocomment711 View Post
I feel more at peace now than I have in a long time. I feel in control and bette about my choices. The decision to lose weight has been so amazing for me.

That being said, hotel an airfare are booked for Disneyland. All that separates us is 18 pounds. Sad though that the most expensive part of the trip are the tickets.
Woohoo on more peace! Disney prices do seem a bit steep sometimes, but when I start comparing them to other things (like local game of laser tag, a local amusement venue, and the like) and you start realizing what you get for the price, sometimes it doesn't seem so bad!

Evening all! At the Merrimack Y waiting for DD. Got to MA without difficulty and got her new tech suit. Those things are CRAZY expensive! The 2 we have bought her have cost, combined, more than my entire wedding ensemble! This one was last summer's birthday gift.

Never packed anything for dinner, as time got away from me...plus I didn't want to get home late with a sack full of Tupperware to wash. So I stopped at Panera and got DD a bowl of soup and then dropped her off to swim. Then I went to a local supermarket that does fresh, cooked-while-you-wait stir fry. Had a huge quantity of veggies and some tofu cooked with just 1tsp of EVOO and topped with just 1 Tb of their traditional stir fry sauce (sweet, not too greasy).....YUM! I had brought along plenty of water, so no need to buy drinks. I have some fruit in the car that I bought at Costco. I may rinse some berries with some water from the car and eat them on the ride home.

Thanks to you all for taking the time to really think about today's QOTD. I know it was a bit "deep" for our usual light atmosphere, but I really wanted to give us something to think about. And so many here have been commenting about feeling defeated or like they were failing (or like heir bodies were failing them) and it seems like many have mentioned suffering with depression. It seemed like the right time to delve just a bit into the mental aspects of this journey.

I promise to lighten up a bit for tomorrow! See you in the a.m........P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #199
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix13dust View Post
I've been doing my plank a day! I even have the kids doing it they can plank for 1 minute. I started at 6 seconds but now I'm up to 43 seconds, woohoo! Sometimes, when my hubby is home he will plank with me, it's a piece of cake for him so he screws around and bites my butt or tries to push me over. That's when I yell " cut it out! This is serious " I do notice my abs are a little achy, I think that's a good thing! For March I was thinking if doing Sun Salutation A, 4X a day??
Have a great Wednesday!
Melinda
Sun Salutation sounds fun. I could use a little sun, this dreary weather is the pits.
great job on the 45 seconds!!

Quote:

Doesn't she do planks in the workout?? Or side planks?
I'll give you a pass on the missed day!! 30 day shred is hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post

Woohoo on plank a day! Good idea for March. I was thinking of adding a 2 minute wall sit, but I like your idea too!
Flat or on toes? Arms up or down?

DS16 is taking his XC/track coaches sports science/kinesiology class and coach challenged a football player to wall sits. Coach is teaching class for a good 5 minutes in a toe only wall sit and the footballer was dying. Footballer can bench press 280 but can't do a wall sit, they all learned a valuable lesson about the difference between strength and endurance.
I see a lot of teaching assistance in DS16's future in that class because Coach likes to do hands on stuff and 99% of the stuf DS can do.

got my planks in every day so far. Last 2 days were only 1:01 though. Last few days have been crap eating too. But today I turned it around. good food, DS16 and I went for a 2 mile run outside today, I was slow due to DD's whining but we got through it.
I also did 2 more miles on the treadmill, really liking to Jeff Galloway 5K app.
Still need to go do my plank.

I really hope the scale is kind to me this weekend, so far it's been all over the place.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #200
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocomment711 View Post

Good Luck with those 18 pounds!!! Which hotel are you planning to stay at at DL? I am tentatively thinking about a trip there in the autumn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Doesn't she do planks in the workout?? Or side planks?
I'll give you a pass on the missed day!! 30 day shred is hard!
Thanks! But level 1 does not include a plank, maybe it will be included in a later level. That would be convenient!

Quote:
Looking forward to your coaching week! Thanks for taking the time to answer all my crazy QOTD!
I am already thinking about possible QOTD... Not easy to come up with good ones that can spark discussion!

Quote:
Never packed anything for dinner, as time got away from me...plus I didn't want to get home late with a sack full of Tupperware to wash. So I stopped at Panera and got DD a bowl of soup and then dropped her off to swim. Then I went to a local supermarket that does fresh, cooked-while-you-wait stir fry. Had a huge quantity of veggies and some tofu cooked with just 1tsp of EVOO and topped with just 1 Tb of their traditional stir fry sauce (sweet, not too greasy).....YUM!
That sounds delicious! When I used to live in Berlin there was a lunch place with that concept. I got lunch there very often because it was so easy to get a healthy lunch. Loved the variety I could get. When I make stirfry for myself it seems ridiculous to buy many different vegetables and then only use a tiny amount of each...

I found out that I really like tofu, but I have never been able to make it myself in a way that I really enjoyed. Does anyone have a good recipe they can share? Maybe I ought to look at the recipe thread....

Hope everyone has a great start for their days! I already had my lunch - once again a salad from the cafeteria. Seems to be my staple these days...
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Last edited by Flossbolna; 02-07-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #201
pjlla
<><

Hey all! No time to read right now. I didn't get called to work so I want to take the opportunity to head to Maine to visit a possible vacation rental for this summer (before we get big snow in the next few days!).

I should be home by mid-afternoon and will check in with you all then.

QOTD for Thursday, February 7, 2013:

How far away is SPRING for your area of the world/country? Do you enjoy spring? Do you believe that SAD (Season Affective Disorder) truly exists? Do you feel down in the winter and better in the spring and summer? (Okay... I know that is more like 4 questions! )

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #202
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey all! No time to read right now. I didn't get called to work so I want to take the opportunity to head to Maine to visit a possible vacation rental for this summer (before we get big snow in the next few days!).

How far away is SPRING for your area of the world/country? Do you enjoy spring? Do you believe that SAD (Season Affective Disorder) truly exists? Do you feel down in the winter and better in the spring and summer? (Okay... I know that is more like 4 questions! )
Good morning all and good luck with your road trip!!!

What is spring? Shoot I feel like we hardly have winter here in Missouri anymore (speaking as a horticulturist). I have been putting my houseplants outside everyday this week.

My bulbs tried to come up a few weeks ago and then FROZE.

As far as SAD, oh yea, it is REAL. When we lived in DFW, I took in everyday of that wonderful "winter" bliss.

Here I make sure to get outside even if it is cold to play with the dogs and get in my "sunshine". I think the remedy is 15 mins. a day of "sun in your eyes" or something like that.

That being said, I love all seasons.
The Mystery Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #203
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We will have spring like temps today (62), but our weather is all over the place. Tornadoes early last week, and highs in the 20s later that same week. We will still have some really cold temps for the next two months, but they will be mixed in with some warmer days, so starting mid--late February winter starts getting tolerable around here. Our crocuses are up already. I absolutely believe in SAD. It is very grey here in the winter. I have been taking vitamin d every day for the last week and it has made a huge difference. I enjoy spring if only for the reason that it means summer is around the corner!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #204
Greenfield1984
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Good morning everyone!

Spring seems like it's a million miles away for us... usually I mark April as the beginning of Spring. I love Spring. Spring and Fall are my favorite seasons (and unfortunately the ones that are the shortest). We get brutally hot and humid summers, and we get brutally cold winters, so I love the pants and sweater Spring/Fall weather. I definitely believe that SAD exists. My DH suffers from it more than me but I feel it as well. This winter has been especially difficult as on a good day it's -3 and we have had a couple of weeks of cold snaps as low as -22. On those days I can't even go outside because I don't want to take my 4 month old from the house to the car! The warmer seasons are much better as we can go out whenever we want with the kids and actually move and do things!

I hit a minor speed bump last night as I was laying in bed. It was one of those days where I just couldn't stop eating! (but I still logged everything and was well within my points... the advantages of not having junk food in the house!). I was just feeling down about how long this weight is going to take to come off. I know it's a lifestyle change, and I will be living like this forever and honestly I'm happy with that because I've been feeling great lately with all the changes I've made, but it just seems like such a long journey. But I tried to remind myself that I'm already down 13 pounds, which is great, and since I took 28 years to put on all this weight, I can at least give myself a year or 2 to take it all off!! I'm feeling better this morning and am glad that I was able to turn my thoughts around because normally I'm a dweller and I don't bother trying to make things look positive.

Anyways, I hope you all have a wonderful day!
October 2011: ASMo with DD4 and DD7months
October 2009: POP with DD2
February 2009: AKL with DD 18mos
April 2007: ASMo HONEYMOON!
December 2005: Off site - Big Family Vacation
August 2000
Summer 1991
Fav rides:Carousel of Progress, Figment, Tower of Terror, Timekeeper (RIP), Nemo Musical
Fav Park: EPCOT
Greenfield1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #205
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #206
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Quote:

Spring? Oh yeah, I think that's the five days we have between summer and...summer and... summer! It's all good though as my DH says I'm a reptile as I love, love, LOVE the heat.

I absolutely believe SAD is a real thing. I know when I lived in CT, I was miserable from about November to March. I couldn't ski, hated the cold, and never wanted to get out from under my electric blanket. At least when I got my first dog, I had no choice but to go outside everyday. And since she always seemed to have so much fun in the snow, it made it more bearable for mommy.

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #207
DisFam95
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla

I'm in Texas and we don't really have seasons. It's either really really hot or pretty nice w a couple weeks of dealing w these things you people call coats! . I have pics of my kids w shorts on w the ice cream truck in January! We're in the 70's this week but will cool down to a chilly 50 next week. My hubby wants to move to eastern Canada but I'm not ready for real winters! I grew up up north and do miss the long fall season.

Well I did my first day yesterday soda free!!! Thanks for the encouragement. I got my favorite red tea Rooibos and made a pitcher. It has such I nice light vanilla taste. Lets see how today goes. Well be going out to dinner tonight so that's when I cave but I told my kids to hold me to it and you know they like to catch you when you do something "wrong"

Off to the treadmill! And then a plank. I did 2 30sec sets yesterday.
Sum/74; Sum/78; Sum/82; Sum/87 Polynesian; Sum/93 Caribbean Beach; 8/95 Port Orleans - Honeymoon; 5/97; 8/99 Caribbean Beach; 9/01 Wilderness Lodge - became a DVC member!!!; 12/02; 1/04; 2/05; 2/06; 10/06; 5/08 Villas at Wilderness Lodge; 6/11 Wildreness Lodge
Me DH DS12 DS8
DisFam95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #208
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sjayne View Post

quotd---peace. Yeah I actually thought about this when I went to an OA meeting here. I was trying to explain how I over eat constantly and then exercise to make up for it--.
If you do not have a food scale, I HIGHLY recommend it. I just got the "Biggest Loser" food scale and let me tell you it has change my portion controls.

Let's just say my dh was eating about 10 portions of pasta at least at a sitting. Which is not hard to do believe me.

Also with snacks. When I do "have treat" I can measure it out, it helps.

Example....I made tacos the other day and I measured out beforehand how much meat and cheese we could have. We had to spread it out over our tacos.

I love love love love cheese however the sat fat & sodium in it adds up fast. Did I say I love cheese?

Anyway, just thought I would share my adventures with my food scale & how it is helping me.

Oh and to address the diet soda issue, I did switch from reg. to diet but I treat that poisionous swill like a treat.......even though I hate it. But knowing that I can have a diet soda if I NEED soda helps me stay off the regular, which I was addicted to. Caffeine Free Coke.
The Mystery Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #209
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Flat or on toes? Arms up or down?

I've traditionally done them on flat feet... arms up or down, depending on? I'm thinking of starting with 2 minutes, arms down, flat feet, and working my way from there. (That is, assuming I can even START at 2 minutes!)

DS16 is taking his XC/track coaches sports science/kinesiology class and coach challenged a football player to wall sits. Coach is teaching class for a good 5 minutes in a toe only wall sit and the footballer was dying. Footballer can bench press 280 but can't do a wall sit, they all learned a valuable lesson about the difference between strength and endurance.
I see a lot of teaching assistance in DS16's future in that class because Coach likes to do hands on stuff and 99% of the stuf DS can do.

That sounds great! And those dang beefy football types think they are all that, but I think that the slimmer runners, tennis players, etc and such are in so much better shape!

got my planks in every day so far. Last 2 days were only 1:01 though. Last few days have been crap eating too. But today I turned it around. good food, DS16 and I went for a 2 mile run outside today, I was slow due to DD's whining but we got through it.
I also did 2 more miles on the treadmill, really liking to Jeff Galloway 5K app.
Still need to go do my plank.

I really hope the scale is kind to me this weekend, so far it's been all over the place.
Fingers crossed for the scale for BOTH of us this weekend! I've been getting in my planks, sometimes two a day, but can't get past 1:20.

Quote:
I am already thinking about possible QOTD... Not easy to come up with good ones that can spark discussion!

There is a QOTD archive you can use if you don't mind repeating old questions. But there are so many new folks here, I'm sure they would be "new" questions to many!

That sounds delicious! When I used to live in Berlin there was a lunch place with that concept. I got lunch there very often because it was so easy to get a healthy lunch. Loved the variety I could get. When I make stirfry for myself it seems ridiculous to buy many different vegetables and then only use a tiny amount of each...

I found out that I really like tofu, but I have never been able to make it myself in a way that I really enjoyed. Does anyone have a good recipe they can share? Maybe I ought to look at the recipe thread....

Hope everyone has a great start for their days! I already had my lunch - once again a salad from the cafeteria. Seems to be my staple these days...
We should ALL be eating greens every day, so nothing wrong with a salad a day!

I do love this grocery store that does this stirfry.... but I get frustrated because I KNOW I could make it cheaper at home. That being said, when I am hustling around, in a pinch, etc, this is such a wonderfully healthy filling meal!

Quote:

Spring is MANY weeks away here in NH. I don't even consider thinking about SPRING until at least the very end of March.... but we often don't have many signs of spring until mid-April. Sometimes Mother Nature surprises us and we have an early spring at the end of March... but not always. In fact, we've had snow in May before.

Yes, I do believe that the darker and shorter days definitely affects people. I know that I just feel BETTER when spring starts! I always attributed it to the weather warming and the budding trees, but it is probably that I am getting more SUNSHINE! I never really notice myself feeling "bad" in the winter.... but that HAPPY feeling I get on the first warm sunny day of spring makes me realize that I have been in a funk!

Glad I took the time to drive up to the potential vacation home. The one I really went up to see was a definite NO GO for us.... but we had another nearby that we were considering, so I stopped by and peeked into the windows.

My aunt and uncle had rented this other place many times in the past, but hadn't been there recently and it had had a slight renovation recently. Sleeping situation won't be ideal, but the cottage is CLEAN and bright and in good repair and we will definitely be able to make the best of it.

The cottage I had originally gone up to see was icky.... I can handle "campy" but this place was just plain old DIRTY and in bad disrepair. I think that the woman who owns it doesn't have the time/energy/money to keep it up properly. And she seems just a bit clueless. I texted her while I was there to let her know that there were 2 windows left open (although the heat was off and the place was shut down for the winter). We have a MAJOR snow storm coming into the area in the next 48 hours. She replied and said she knew that the windows were open, that she wanted the place to be ventilated over the winter. I don't think that you need TWO fully opened windows in the middle of a storm to get VENTILATION! She will get a lot of SNOW inside along with the ventilation! Oh well... not really my business. She lives in RI, so I know she won't be stopping by tonight to close the windows.

But it was a long morning with lots of driving (which you would think I would be used to by now). I have to go out again in an hour to get the kids from school and then I will be home for about 15 minutes before heading out again for DD's chiropractic appointment and tonight's swim practice.

Off to finish my lunch! TTYL if I can get on the wi-fi at the Y after my workout.................P

Old 02-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #210
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
What is spring? Shoot I feel like we hardly have winter here in Missouri anymore (speaking as a horticulturist). I have been putting my houseplants outside everyday this week.

My bulbs tried to come up a few weeks ago and then FROZE.

As far as SAD, oh yea, it is REAL. When we lived in DFW, I took in everyday of that wonderful "winter" bliss.

Here I make sure to get outside even if it is cold to play with the dogs and get in my "sunshine". I think the remedy is 15 mins. a day of "sun in your eyes" or something like that.

That being said, I love all seasons.
I know that some people claims that getting at least 15-20 minutes of full sunshine every day is helpful.... but sometimes we go days and day without bright sun around here! I guess that is what they sell those light boxes for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
We will have spring like temps today (62), but our weather is all over the place. Tornadoes early last week, and highs in the 20s later that same week. We will still have some really cold temps for the next two months, but they will be mixed in with some warmer days, so starting mid--late February winter starts getting tolerable around here. Our crocuses are up already. I absolutely believe in SAD. It is very grey here in the winter. I have been taking vitamin d every day for the last week and it has made a huge difference. I enjoy spring if only for the reason that it means summer is around the corner!
Those are crazy weather changes!

Thanks for mentioning the Vitamin D. I meant to, but forgot in my rush this morning. EVERYONE should take Vitamin D every day... but most especially those in cold, snowy climates in the winter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfield1984 View Post
Good morning everyone!
Spring seems like it's a million miles away for us... usually I mark April as the beginning of Spring. I love Spring. Spring and Fall are my favorite seasons (and unfortunately the ones that are the shortest). We get brutally hot and humid summers, and we get brutally cold winters, so I love the pants and sweater Spring/Fall weather. I definitely believe that SAD exists. My DH suffers from it more than me but I feel it as well. This winter has been especially difficult as on a good day it's -3 and we have had a couple of weeks of cold snaps as low as -22. On those days I can't even go outside because I don't want to take my 4 month old from the house to the car! The warmer seasons are much better as we can go out whenever we want with the kids and actually move and do things!

I hit a minor speed bump last night as I was laying in bed. It was one of those days where I just couldn't stop eating! (but I still logged everything and was well within my points... the advantages of not having junk food in the house!). I was just feeling down about how long this weight is going to take to come off. I know it's a lifestyle change, and I will be living like this forever and honestly I'm happy with that because I've been feeling great lately with all the changes I've made, but it just seems like such a long journey. But I tried to remind myself that I'm already down 13 pounds, which is great, and since I took 28 years to put on all this weight, I can at least give myself a year or 2 to take it all off!! I'm feeling better this morning and am glad that I was able to turn my thoughts around because normally I'm a dweller and I don't bother trying to make things look positive.

Anyways, I hope you all have a wonderful day!
Glad you are feeling better this morning. I can recall times when the weight just didn't seem to want to come off and I felt SO DEPRIVED! I think the trick is to find a way to fit in a HEALTHY treat.... maybe try a new food or new recipe.... something that takes away that feeling of deprivation, but DOES NOT leave you with a sense of guilt.

For me that is often something like peanut butter or low carb chocolate. I HATE the chemicals in the chocolate, but I keep it on hand for occasional cravings and I have to say it is delish. Also things like Vitamuffins and expensive fruits (like berries in the winter) often help.

Quote:

AMEN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
Spring? Oh yeah, I think that's the five days we have between summer and...summer and... summer! It's all good though as my DH says I'm a reptile as I love, love, LOVE the heat.

I absolutely believe SAD is a real thing. I know when I lived in CT, I was miserable from about November to March. I couldn't ski, hated the cold, and never wanted to get out from under my electric blanket. At least when I got my first dog, I had no choice but to go outside everyday. And since she always seemed to have so much fun in the snow, it made it more bearable for mommy.
I really despise the winter, despite the fact that I have lived in New England my entire life, so I understand the feeling of wanting to never get out from under the blanket! I used to love those days when the kids were babies and we didn't have to go any where in the bad weather and we could just HIBERNATE here and snuggle up together and play!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisFam95 View Post
I'm in Texas and we don't really have seasons. It's either really really hot or pretty nice w a couple weeks of dealing w these things you people call coats! . I have pics of my kids w shorts on w the ice cream truck in January! We're in the 70's this week but will cool down to a chilly 50 next week. My hubby wants to move to eastern Canada but I'm not ready for real winters! I grew up up north and do miss the long fall season.

Well I did my first day yesterday soda free!!! Thanks for the encouragement. I got my favorite red tea Rooibos and made a pitcher. It has such I nice light vanilla taste. Lets see how today goes. Well be going out to dinner tonight so that's when I cave but I told my kids to hold me to it and you know they like to catch you when you do something "wrong"

Off to the treadmill! And then a plank. I did 2 30sec sets yesterday.
Bring along your own drink if you want. I often do that, especially if I am going someplace that doesn't have seltzer available. I have yet to have any place tell me I can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
If you do not have a food scale, I HIGHLY recommend it. I just got the "Biggest Loser" food scale and let me tell you it has change my portion controls.

Let's just say my dh was eating about 10 portions of pasta at least at a sitting. Which is not hard to do believe me.

Also with snacks. When I do "have treat" I can measure it out, it helps.

Example....I made tacos the other day and I measured out beforehand how much meat and cheese we could have. We had to spread it out over our tacos.

I love love love love cheese however the sat fat & sodium in it adds up fast. Did I say I love cheese?

Anyway, just thought I would share my adventures with my food scale & how it is helping me.

Oh and to address the diet soda issue, I did switch from reg. to diet but I treat that poisionous swill like a treat.......even though I hate it. But knowing that I can have a diet soda if I NEED soda helps me stay off the regular, which I was addicted to. Caffeine Free Coke.
Love, love, love my food scale too! Keeps me HONEST with myself! I prefer to weigh anything that I can, rather than use a measuring cup. And I try to measure in grams.... much more accurate. It seemed like a "luxury" when I first bought it, but now I can't imagine living without it~! And I don't hesitate to put it on the dinner table next to my plate!

Caught up I think! ........................P

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: