Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
River Country
DIS Jedi

Which Dolphin Experience with a 6YO?

I am torn here. There is the Dolphin experience at the Atlantis and there is one at Blue Lagoon. The Blue Lagoon is less expensive and the 6yo as well as DW and I can get a Dolphin push. But is blue lagoon as nice as the Atlantis? I ve been to the Atlantis about 13 years ago when i was single and ready to mingle. My parents are comping with us and lets just say i can't picture them in a wet suit with dolphins so for $80 they can come and watch or they can do something else at the Atlantis. Any thoughts on these 2 excursions???
Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Baysailers
Earning My Ears

We just got back from the Dream and did the dolphins at Blue Lagoon with a
5 year old. It was wonderful and the island was great.
Water was cool, but no wetsuits needed. Have not
Done Atlantis, but would recommend Blue Lagoon. Trainer
Was great with our daughter.

Wendy
Baysailers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
ItAllStrtdWAMouse
Fan for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Country View Post
I am torn here. There is the Dolphin experience at the Atlantis and there is one at Blue Lagoon. The Blue Lagoon is less expensive and the 6yo as well as DW and I can get a Dolphin push. But is blue lagoon as nice as the Atlantis? I ve been to the Atlantis about 13 years ago when i was single and ready to mingle. My parents are comping with us and lets just say i can't picture them in a wet suit with dolphins so for $80 they can come and watch or they can do something else at the Atlantis. Any thoughts on these 2 excursions???
We just did the Dolphin Swim at Blue Lagoon with a 7 yr old in mid December. "It was the best thing ever!" according to our son. You do not need to be in a wet suit to do it. They are there for your warmth. We didn't need one in mid December, my understanding the water is colder in Jan and Feb. I thought the experience was worth it, and I am typically the one to be cheap. Blue lagoon has a beach and store. Nothing major to look at, but the observer cost is for the ferry ride and beach access. Atlantis should have a similar fees to Blue lagoon just to be there. We chose not to go to Atlantis because of the higher cost, age limitations, and height restrictions at the water park. They sell photos and video of the event.

Hope this helps...
Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
River Country
DIS Jedi

So far its 2-0 Blue Lagoon

It does help so far

Thank you
Old 01-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
policycobb
DIS Veteran

My sister and I did the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter, not the swim, in July each with a seven year old. They loved it. We each spent time touching, hugging, dancing, and kissing Andy, our dolphin. Beautiful island and we also were able to see the Sea Lions.

policycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
yaddakal
Mouseketeer

I am torn on encounter versus swim at Blue Lagoon... ..?? Son is 9 excellent swimmer, daughter is 7 and swims without floaters but is not as strong as the rest of us naturally. Thanks!

Disney All Star Movies May 2009
Disney Port Orleans Riverside 2010
Disney Coronado Springs/Dream Cruise May 2013
Booked for Fantasy August 2014
yaddakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
bahacca
Mouseketeer

I've read just about every thread here on this topic
THings that made me make my decision-age and height requirements for the additional things to do at Atlantis.
SOmeone posted that for the SWIM at BL, you had to tread water for around 45 minutes. You have a lifevest on, so you are bouyant, but I felt that was too long for my 6 and 7 year olds to be treading. FOr more experienced swimmers, I'm sure it is fine. Mine just learned how to swim this past summer.
THey also stated that the water was cool. I know this is subjective, but we are from S. CA and my daughters get cold when it is 90* and sunny. So, this made me choose the encounter over the swim. Part of me was also afraid that I'd pay the money and the girls would be scared to do the push, which, if you read, is basically what you are paying for.
A friend of mine did the encounter with her family about a year ago and said it was fantastic. One word of caution she said was the observers can watch and take pictures, but your backs are turned to them! So if you want GOOD pictures, they've set it up so you kind of have to buy theirs. I figure the cost of buying the CD will be where my money is instead of the push from the dolphin.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
yaddakal
Mouseketeer

Very helpful!!

Thank you!

Disney All Star Movies May 2009
Disney Port Orleans Riverside 2010
Disney Coronado Springs/Dream Cruise May 2013
Booked for Fantasy August 2014
yaddakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
jtink60
Mouseketeer

I was wondering which would give us more time to see Nassau? We want to do the dolphin encounter but would also like to go to the straw market. Is it quicker to get to and from Atlantis or blue lagoon?
jtink60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:50 AM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

It has been YEARS since we did anything big in Nassau, but my experience is that Discovery Cove in Orlando was better than any dolphin experience on any island that we've ever done.

I'd suggest saving your money and on this or a future trip, plan a day at Discovery Cove.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
Kristina - Mom
Mouseketeer

Big Thumbs up for Blue Lagoon - just did it in October. The straw market is fun, but doesn't take a ton of time.

Kristina
Kristina - Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
neg58
DIS Veteran

With Atlantis, you could take a taxi back at any time. It is much closer than BL. For BL, you travel over on a boat at around 10 am. The boats back are at 1, 2 and 4 (Island time though and I think we left around 1:30). We had plenty of time for the Straw Market, but my daughter was rather tired and cold and honestly, not much to do at the Market. I wish we would have stayed on BL beach for another hour.

The difference between the 'swim' and 'encounter' on BL is that with the swim, you are IN the water for the whole time, and then do the push right at the end. The dolphins swim up and you dance and kiss them, touch them, feed them, etc. With the encounter, you do all that but you are on a platform and the dolphin might come racing in an splash you, or you shake hands. Both had a lot of hugging and playing with the dolphins. With the swim, about 10 people are in the water at the same time, so while only one or two might be interacting with the animals at one time, you are there for the rest of the time. With the encounter, it's one group at a time while the other groups wait and watch. Still fun, just you aren't interacting with the dolphins for the entire time. Most people left when their time was done and then the next group moved down to the platform.

The better 'family photo' was at the encounter. At the swim, it's hard to get 4-5 people in the same picture with a dolphin while swimming. for the encounter, they'd set up the people and then have the dolphin swim in, snap, good picture.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: