Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #16
Jacquie668
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinotinto View Post
Maybe because I am not a local and only go to WDW 1-2 times per year, but I would not want to make two separate QS lines. I would just pick a place that the family would enjoy (yes, kids included) and eat there. It just seems like such a waste of valuable time (and money, since entrance fees are not cheap).
I agree, why not just find a place you all like? I get the whole "it is new" thing, but if your kids are not going to eat the food then it just seems like a waste to me. The lines are long, so food will probably get cold, unless you packed a lunch for them, something like PB&J or etc...

You can always split food with them at BOG and get them a snack or something more filling after you leave BOG. OR why not visit BOG after lunch for dessert...I just wouldn't bother if people in my group or children were not going to eat anything.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #17
missycj96
DIS Veteran

Op, i just had your same situation. I was dying to try BOG for lunch - we had one day pre cruise in the mk. Dd7 is picky but i figured we'd make the best of it. What a bust. The kids menu just doesnt work for kids that eat only kids food like mine do. Even the mickey turkey meatloaf turned out to have red pepper in it and my kids wouldnt eat it. Even the chocolate cupcake was a little too adult for her and she wouldnt eat it. This is the only place in disney where i couldnt feed my kids (and we visit often). Yes the restaurant is fantastic. But my advice is if the menu seems like it won't work for your kids, there's a good chance it won't. Next time, i'd eat somewhere else.
missycj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
disneymayz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinotinto View Post
Maybe because I am not a local and only go to WDW 1-2 times per year, but I would not want to make two separate QS lines. I would just pick a place that the family would enjoy (yes, kids included) and eat there. It just seems like such a waste of valuable time (and money, since entrance fees are not cheap).
Confused on how going to 2 separate CS lines cost extra money and what does entrance fees have to do with anything?
May '99-Dixie Landings / Disney Cruise May '00-All-Star Music May '01-All-Star Movies June '03-All-Star Sports May '04-Off-site May '05-Pop Century May '06-Old Key West Dec. '07-All-Star Movies June '08-Disneyland Hotel / Grand Cali. / Paradise Pier June '09-AKV / All-Star Music / Saratoga Springs Resort Jan '10 - CBR / May '10 - Pop Century May '11 Pop / AKV / VWL Dec '11 OKW / BW/ All-Star Sports April '12 Polly Sep/Oct '12 VGC June'13 SSR/AKV/BCV/BLT Dec '13 All-star Sports Feb '14 Pop/CS/GFV/AKV May '14 ASMo
disneymayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
Jacquie668
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymayz View Post
Confused on how going to 2 separate CS lines cost extra money and what does entrance fees have to do with anything?
I took that as, you are paying X amount of dollars to enjoy a vacation or day at WDW and to waste time that could be used in other ways can effect the value of that day. Instead of two lines you could pick one place everyone agrees on or find something to eat at and move on to other things.

That is how I understood that part of the post. I could be wrong though!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #20
disneymayz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquie668 View Post
I took that as, you are paying X amount of dollars to enjoy a vacation or day at WDW and to waste time that could be used in other ways can effect the value of that day. Instead of two lines you could pick one place everyone agrees on or find something to eat at and move on to other things.

That is how I understood that part of the post. I could be wrong though!
I could see it that way I guess. That is where it is nice to have 2 adults. 1 goes and gets the kids food while the other waits in BOG line. It will be like eating at Cosmic Rays. We usually have to go through 2 or even all 3 of the lines for everyone in our family.
May '99-Dixie Landings / Disney Cruise May '00-All-Star Music May '01-All-Star Movies June '03-All-Star Sports May '04-Off-site May '05-Pop Century May '06-Old Key West Dec. '07-All-Star Movies June '08-Disneyland Hotel / Grand Cali. / Paradise Pier June '09-AKV / All-Star Music / Saratoga Springs Resort Jan '10 - CBR / May '10 - Pop Century May '11 Pop / AKV / VWL Dec '11 OKW / BW/ All-Star Sports April '12 Polly Sep/Oct '12 VGC June'13 SSR/AKV/BCV/BLT Dec '13 All-star Sports Feb '14 Pop/CS/GFV/AKV May '14 ASMo
disneymayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #21
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

I have to giggle a little bit when "kid food" mostly equals McDonald's style fast food. For my kids, "kid food" would be a turkey sandwich, or grilled chicken.

If you are really set on BOG for lunch, I would not get hot food to bring in for your kids, unless they prefer it not warm. I think you would do better if you could bring in something that could be served room temperature in case the wait is longer than you anticipated.
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #22
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

I know everyone wants to eat at BOG because it is new but if you have not been there you cannot imagine the line. There is no way I would eat there. I am guessing the line must be an hour or more to just get to the counter to order. I am trying to not exaggerate but I bet the line was 40 yards long out the door and around a corner. I get mildly perturbed at normal counter service lines and it is just not worth it to wait that long for a Disney quality QS meal.

Another poster is correct that your other food would be cold. Maybe if you go as soon as they open it would be better but at lunch time it was horrible. On the flip side, we were able to get a coveted window seat and Pinnochio Haus!
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #23
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

It's not your regular CS. You will not be allowed into the dining room to sit until you have ordered your meals. So you wll be carrying that extra meal for quite awhile. Right now we are looking at about 25 to 30 minute waits to get in for lunch. You are best off not bringing the food in if you want it served hot or even warm.

So if you are determined to see BOG and you have children who will not eat there, the best solution may be to feed the children first at a place that serves food to their liking. Then buy them a dessert or something at BOG.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #24
SafariTigger
Mouseketeer

Has anyone tried asking if they would prepare something NOT on the menu such as a grilled cheese? My friends that were down there last summer had a similar issue in another restaurant and they were told that they would prepare anything that they had the ingredients for in their kitchen. I have a picky eater as well but I have my heart set on going to BOG for dinner this coming July.

Disney Wonder - Honeymoon cruise July '02
Port Orleans Riverside - Honeymoon continues - July '02
Became DVC Member! - July '02
Hilton Head - August '03
Saratoga Springs - April '06 (Craig's 1st trip)
Saratoga Springs - August '08 (Kelly's 1st trip)
Vero Beach/Wilderness Lodge - March '10
Vero Beach/Boardwalk - June/July '13
Disney Dream/Vero Beach - July '14
SafariTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #25
Jacquie668
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymayz View Post
I could see it that way I guess. That is where it is nice to have 2 adults. 1 goes and gets the kids food while the other waits in BOG line. It will be like eating at Cosmic Rays. We usually have to go through 2 or even all 3 of the lines for everyone in our family.
That is a good point and great strategy so you can make it work and still not feel that you wasted too much time.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #26
missycj96
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariTigger
Has anyone tried asking if they would prepare something NOT on the menu such as a grilled cheese? My friends that were down there last summer had a similar issue in another restaurant and they were told that they would prepare anything that they had the ingredients for in their kitchen. I have a picky eater as well but I have my heart set on going to BOG for dinner this coming July.

Of the kids menu, i thought my dd might eat the macaroni with sauce, but it comes with cheese melted on it. I asked if i could order it without the cheese and was told i couldnt special order it. Im sure if there is an allergy they could accommodate but i didnt push the issue - it was mobbed and we had already waited on a long line.
missycj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #27
SafariTigger
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by missycj96 View Post
Of the kids menu, i thought my dd might eat the macaroni with sauce, but it comes with cheese melted on it. I asked if i could order it without the cheese and was told i couldnt special order it. Im sure if there is an allergy they could accommodate but i didnt push the issue - it was mobbed and we had already waited on a long line.
That seems very un-DISNEY, I am going for the table service dinner, maybe since we are seated at a table and not waiting in line they may be more accomodating. OR by July maybe enough people will request that there be one or two kid menu items that are a little more universally liked by those picky eaters! Here's hoping!

Disney Wonder - Honeymoon cruise July '02
Port Orleans Riverside - Honeymoon continues - July '02
Became DVC Member! - July '02
Hilton Head - August '03
Saratoga Springs - April '06 (Craig's 1st trip)
Saratoga Springs - August '08 (Kelly's 1st trip)
Vero Beach/Wilderness Lodge - March '10
Vero Beach/Boardwalk - June/July '13
Disney Dream/Vero Beach - July '14
SafariTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:26 PM   #28
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
It's not your regular CS. You will not be allowed into the dining room to sit until you have ordered your meals. So you wll be carrying that extra meal for quite awhile. Right now we are looking at about 25 to 30 minute waits to get in for lunch. You are best off not bringing the food in if you want it served hot or even warm.

So if you are determined to see BOG and you have children who will not eat there, the best solution may be to feed the children first at a place that serves food to their liking. Then buy them a dessert or something at BOG.
This.

The line for lunch at BOG is huge! There is no way to buy food for the kids before hand, and have it still warm by the time you are seated. As another poster pointed out, the line to get in has to be seen to be believed.

And before someone asks about one parent getting out of line and getting food for the kids, I don't think it would be very easy to push past that many people waiting in line, with an Excuse Me, Just Meeting My Family. The line is that long.

If you just have to eat at BOG, have a peanut butter sandwich packed for the kiddies.

The next time someone complains that all Disney serves for kids food is junk I'm going to point them to this thread. And show them how when Disney tries to do better, and not just have chicken fingers and burgers, that people complain. And people wonder why so much of the food is the same all over WDW. Sigh.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #29
bisone
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
This.

The line for lunch at BOG is huge! There is no way to buy food for the kids before hand, and have it still warm by the time you are seated. As another poster pointed out, the line to get in has to be seen to be believed.

And before someone asks about one parent getting out of line and getting food for the kids, I don't think it would be very easy to push past that many people waiting in line, with an Excuse Me, Just Meeting My Family. The line is that long.

If you just have to eat at BOG, have a peanut butter sandwich packed for the kiddies.

The next time someone complains that all Disney serves for kids food is junk I'm going to point them to this thread. And show them how when Disney tries to do better, and not just have chicken fingers and burgers, that people complain. And people wonder why so much of the food is the same all over WDW. Sigh.
I never said anywhere in my original post that I was looking for junk food. My ds with sensory issues eats the same meal everyday for lunch, peanut butter and jelly. At home this is natural peanut butter and 100% fruit spread on wheat bread. My picky dd is not only picky but also has a gluten allergy and is allergic to chicken. I never complained about what they had on the kids menu. I stated a fact, that my kids would not eat off of it. I asked if my idea would work so my dh, other dd and I can eat there.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #30
pl4bby
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisone

I never said anywhere in my original post that I was looking for junk food. My ds with sensory issues eats the same meal everyday for lunch, peanut butter and jelly. At home this is natural peanut butter and 100% fruit spread on wheat bread. My picky dd is not only picky but also has a gluten allergy and is allergic to chicken. I never complained about what they had on the kids menu. I stated a fact, that my kids would not eat off of it. I asked if my idea would work so my dh, other dd and I can eat there.
I understand. My son has sensory issues. I'm sure you can take a Pbj sandwich in with you
pl4bby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: